• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft has rebooted its open-world pirate game Skull & Bones as a live service title, sources have told VGC.
Announced at E3 2017, Skull & Bones is the first title lead by Ubisoft's Singapore studio. Heavily inspired by its work creating the naval battles for Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, Skull & Bones was set to expand the concept into a full game with customisable ships, PvP multiplayer battles and a large ocean to explore either alone or with friends.

According to development sources speaking under the condition of anonymity, Skull & Bones had been struggling to carve itself a unique position among Ubisoft's existing portfolio of open-world games, which also includes Assassin's Creed, The Division and Watch Dogs, which led to a succession of delays as Singapore attempted to refine its concept.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Ubisoft has rebooted Skull & Bones | VGC

Pirate game is pursuing a new ‘live storytelling’ model; XIII writer and director takes lead…

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
haha knew it!

It's been too quiet for way too long, even before the virus.
Still, I'm impressed Ubisoft is sticking with it.
I guess they stand by their games both after release
and in development.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
DenseOddEelelephant-size_restricted.gif

Welp, I hope it's at least good then.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Welp there goes the game I saw 2 years ago.

How was this so hard to make into a game?

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Damn. I was hoping that the delay was to turn it into a tentpole title with a single-player and all. What I liked about Black Flag was the wind-waker-eqsue exploration. The ship combat was fun, but I didn't like the look of a multiplayer game based around it.

Tbh, this. The game was already 3/4 of the way there from what I remember, I'm not sure why a reboot would be necessary.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
That's literally what Ubisoft has been making. Assassin's Creed is a live service game, the multiplayer game was always going to be a live service game.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
This needed to basically be a black flag game with the boat raiding and everything. But i remember as soon as they showed this game and it just auto looted the other broken ship i was out.

This game needed the ability to create a single player and go on adventures with friends in basically a 3rd person SoT..................but it looked all matchmade based.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Seems natural enough for a multiplayer only game, do we have any details on how it was approached before?

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...

It always looked like a Live Service game.

I suspected it was getting rebooted because people kept complaining you were always on the ship.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Only would be in for a Story Mode. If that's not why they are rebooting then sorry, good luck.

wars

Apr 26, 2020
Lisbon,Portugal
The development of this game looks like a total mess.

It´s funny how almost everyone (including myself) thought the game was a live service.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I think we all assumed it was a GaaS title, but this is making it sound like single player just won't be a thing, which I didn't necessarily predict.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
VGC was told the new Skull & Bones will be a live service game and place more focus on collaboration between players, with a game world and plot that will evolve with regular updates from the development team.

Pretty nonsense title from VGC since it was always going to be live-service game. The distinction now seems to be that it's going to be more akin to something like Sea of Thieves rather than something like For Honor which has a hard distinction between the single player and the round/match based PVP.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
The one Ubisoft game that was different from the rest of their portfolio that I was excited for.

But the writing has been on the walls, since it's lack of actual new gameplay or trailers since E3 2018.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Welp there goes the game I saw 2 years ago.

How was this so hard to make into a game?

Tbh, this. The game was already 3/4 of the way there from what I remember, I'm not sure why a reboot would be necessary.

A huge part of the reaction was related to not being able to get up and walk around the ship, man a crew with your mates, etc. Probably a big direction change - before, it was just you controlling the entire ship from the looks of it. I imagine they're taking it in a "you're one dude on a ship" direction.