• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just got this email. Ubisoft Benelux is no more as of April 1st (what a date)

There was a letter included, a snippet:

As we all know, the market is constantly evolving and as an organization we need to keep up with it. At this time, Ubisoft is facing several challenges due to external factors, such as the decline in sales volume of physical games in favor of digital sales, the centralization of marketing by digitizing all our communication channels, the shift from major retail releases to F2P, mobile and seasonal games and less major physical shows.
To meet the challenges of the future, Ubisoft's management has decided to close a number of subsidiaries in Europe. Unfortunately, the Ubisoft Benelux entity is subject to the intended closure with most employees departing as of April 1st, 2023.
Due to the closure, Ubisoft BV will fully outsource the current distribution of physical games in the Benelux to a distributor to be announced at a later stage.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, Ubisoft closing studios is not something I'd expect. I hope few are impacted.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine this will also mean the closure of the Ubistore in the Benelux?

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
We will see more and more of this.

Regional distribution offices really aren't needed anymore.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
They are closing distribution/marketing offices, not game dev studios.

It's akin to what a lot of publishers did; don't be surprised if Koch Media / THQ Nordic will start to pulish their games in Europe physically like they are doing with ATVI, SEGA, Capcom and others.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Unfortunately more and more publishers in the Benelux are closing or have closed the past couple of years, instead having it all go through European HQ, often situated in germany or sometimes france. Its not something exclusive to Ubi. Its a shame, not only for the people losing their jobs but also for us on the media side of things. Its always nice to have contact with companies close by, but thats getting harder and harder. Its WAY more terrible for the employees directly affected, of course. Terrible trend. Hope they'll land on their feet.

Last edited:

GamerEDM

Banned
May 7, 2020
feel bad for the workers but not suprising since ubisoft has had numerous failed live service projects.

Theonlytman2

Jan 16, 2023
Benelux includes i3D.net, right? If that's true, it would seem this is the first studio closed by Ubisoft in this restructuring alongside the distribution offices. We also have to account that more subsidiaries that could include studios may be closed or sold as well. I feel very bad for the employees that are getting laid off all because the Guillemots can't run a company.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
If i3D shuts down, a lot of games will go offline. Hopefully they are not part of that.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's just going back to way things were a few years ago when distribution was common between France and Benelux.

Sad for the people involved though.

sedael

Oct 16, 2020
I dont think it affects i3D. i3D is listed as its own subsidiary versus Ubisoft BV which is being clsoed