• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Probably Pioneer:
In other words, the project called Pioneer is still in development, and it may still even resemble the trailer that was snuck into Watch Dogs 2. But it no longer resembles the Pioneer that was originally planned. And we'll have to wait and see if it ever actually comes out.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I can't help but wonder if it's Skull & Bones. Game was announced as PvP -> everyone and their dog expressed displeasure it wasn't the AssCreed-free, single-player pirate game hinted at in the post-Black Flag player survey -> Ubi delayed the game indefinitely to add a single-player component -> radio silence.

Edit Seemingly not, per JS's post below.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Fuck well that's shitty. I was looking forward to that game.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah just a canceled new IP by the Watch Dogs team - I heard it was Destiny-like. Lots of big changes at Ubisoft.

Oct 29, 2017
Game dev seems soul crushing on its best days, I can't imagine the lows felt by people after a years-long project gets canceled. Glad they had some fallback options available though, seems like the best possible outcome.

DarthFeanor

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
I did an interview for a position at Ubisoft Montreal back in 2018.
The only information I got was it was "an unannounced FPS".

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. I wonder how many of those 200+ people will shift over to the possible Splinter Cell game that I hope to fuck is in development.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Huh, wasn't the Pioneer/space game cancelled like a year ago? I could remember some lead on the project talking about it being canned.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I can't help but wonder if it's Skull & Bones. Game was announced as PvP -> everyone and their dog expressed displeasure it wasn't the AssCreed-free, single-player pirate game hinted at in the post-Black Flag player survey -> Ubi delayed the game indefinitely to add a single-player component -> radio silence.

Edit Seemingly not, per JS's post below.

That's a Ubi Singapore-led game.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Yeah just a canceled new IP by the Watch Dogs team - I heard it was Destiny-like. Lots of big changes at Ubisoft.

This seems like an extension of the delays and development pipeline changes brought on by the failure of Division 2 and Breakpoint right? Sad to hear a new IP is getting trashed, but at least everyone involved gets moved to other projects.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is NOT Pioneer btw. Pioneer got canceled and then the codename got used for Rainbow Six Quarantine or something like that.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, Ubisoft!

Just glad no one was laid off. I guess they can afford to waste 3 years of development costs.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
This only would have moved pages if it was an exclusive first party game... if not, just what happens in this industry with some frequency

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
What's wild is that Ubisoft Montreal has 15(!) projects in development. What powerhouse studio!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft has had a rough stretch. Still excited for Watchdog Legion

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Glad nobody lost any jobs or anything, gotta be super painful to lose 3 years of dedicated work regardless of it being bad or good. Still excited for future projects.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima PerĂş
That another thing I like about how Ubi does things, they can have a huge project in development, cancel it because didn't work out yet limit the lay offs. Well done Ubi.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
They already have The Division, why a second?

I think The Division to some extent is hamstrung by it being grounded. There's only so much you can do with gear and weapons when the game takes place in reality. So if they were doing some sort of sci-fi oriented shooter then they'd have a lot more variety in terms of loot you could get.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
So it wasn't Splinter Cell? I dunno if I should be relieved or disappointed. Damn, is Microsoft gonna have to step in for Sam Fisher to kill again?

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
This gen has seemed like a real rollercoaster for Ubi.

They seemed to be riding high a couple years ago with AC successfully rebooted, Siege a turnaround surprise, Wildlands taking off, and even surprise hits like Mario Rabbids.

Now, kind of just as quickly, it feels like they're adrift as hell. Curious to see what the plan is moving forward.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like an extension of the delays and development pipeline changes brought on by the failure of Division 2 and Breakpoint right? Sad to hear a new IP is getting trashed, but at least everyone involved gets moved to other projects.
Yes and more of a push toward variety all across the publisher.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I guess that this year was wakeup call for Ubisoft and that they can't make "same" game over and over again.

So it looks like that Division was their Breakpoint. I will leave thread now XD

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny-like? After The Division? After they made Breakpoint more like Division? Why would they do that? :O
Sometimes projects gravitate in directions that don't work out, and sometimes when that happens, they get canceled. Not really fair to judge without knowing the actual story here.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Restructuring and getting projects scheduled for next time? This + the recent report of them approving of "original" pitches has me intrigued about what they come up with.