• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Showcase me both sides' points of view if old

In an interview with Kotaku, VP of editorial Tommy François admitted that Ubisoft is holding back.

"I do see that we're being challenged on politics," he told the site. "It hurts me, because we know there's a disconnect between where we want to take games years down the line and what we're doing on a day-to-day basis."

When discussing the criticism Ubisoft has received in the past couple of years in how it handles topical issues, François said: "I was annoyed by the fact that we weren't given more forgiveness for not being perfect.

"We know that. We know we de-scope. We know we're not taking it far enough."

Throughout the interview, François said the publisher wants to present multiple perspectives on the scenarios it explores.

"I don't think we invented enough means of communication with the player to get everything we wanted through," François said.

The conversation brings to mind recent comments from Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward, whose directors said Modern Warfare does not have a political message and hinted that it will demonstrate multiple perspectives on real-world conflicts.

François emphasised multiple times that Ubisoft needs to be careful not to push one particular perspective or agenda.

"The goal... is not to be preachy. It's to showcase."

François comments echo his previously stated stance on the subject. In a Q&A earlier this year, he said Ubisoft aims to make "more mature games that are nuanced," which means leaving players to form their own opinions about the subjects its games explores.

François pointed to Watch Dogs Legion as an indication of how Ubisoft will handle games that explore political topics in future. The game is set in a dystopian Britain, one that has become a surveillance state, widely described as a post-Brexit scenario.
Full article: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...n-games-we-know-were-not-taking-it-far-enough

A few days before we'd spoken, he'd described something similar in a Q&A published on Ubisoft's website. "If my game was set during the Vietnam conflict, for example," he said, "we would want the Viet Minh, the Viet Cong...basically everyone's point of view." From there, he said, players would learn about all sides of the war and form their own opinions.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
If they don't want people to get political messages from their games they should stop doing games with political themes. Maybe just do sports? I dunno. Just saying.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I don't even care what political statement a game makes (unless it's overtly bigoted obviously). I just want a story that challenges me on a moral and ideological level and allows me to examine a different perspective. This "are games political" discussion gets nowhere as politics is such an amorphous subject matter as is. Don't listen to the dumbass commentators that whine about agendas. Challenge the players and shape your narrative to becomw impactful. Good stories are more than "political", they're transformative and reformative.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
You know, the funny thing is in regards for Breakpoint is that most of its enemies are former U.S Spec Ops gone rogue along with a PMC for hire taking a tech giant and its employees as hostage and using their military-grade drones to hunt down their enemies.

Considering the discourse around the game here, you'd think its about killing brown folks, but evidently not.

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't even care what political statement a game makes (unless it's overtly bigoted obviously). I just want a story that challenges me on a moral and ideological level and allows me to examine a different perspective. This "are games political" discussion gets nowhere as politics is such an amorphous subject matter as is. Don't listen to the dumbass commentators that whine about agendas. Challenge the players and shape your narrative to becomw impactful. Good stories are more than "political", they're transformative and reformative.

I mean...Half of Ubisoft's output are literally branded with "Tom Clancy".

While you're right, them ever denying that their games were political was just silly.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
What's so crazy about this interview, too, is that Ubisoft's VP seems to define "being political" as "telling your audience to vote for either Democrats or Republicans". That's something I see SO OFTEN, in comments, too. Do we just need a journalist to explain the baseline definition of what that phrase actually means?

The other thing is how Ubisoft ALWAYS, in every interview, seems so, so, so intent on proclaiming that they don't want to take a stance. That, somehow, every piece of art is worth more if it actually just presents a lot of points of views and then leaves it to the player to actually...you know...engage with any of it. The second part of that is also that they seem to thing that they are ALREADY doing that. Which is why it's so great that Stephen is pushing against that here. Far Cry 5, The Divsion, Ghost Recon aren't presenting a huge array of political opinions without judgement at all. That's not what any of these games are doing. But, somehow, some Marketing Team had do have decided at some point that that's the company line, that Ubisoft is being the ultimate "Both Sides"-Company - which would be worthy of criticism by itself, of course - when they are really not at all doing that.

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, "not far enough"? This is fucking scary, coming from the company that makes Tom Clancy games and militaristic shooters about invading another countries.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see what's wrong with that quote. Saying you want to present all sides doesn't mean you believe everybody is right or that you believe all sides have equal value. It's a nothing statement that means a game can show all sides and one of those sides is fucking awful and the player could conclude it's awful.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's so crazy about this interview, too, is that Ubisoft's VP seems to define "being political" as "telling your audience to vote for either Democrats or Republicans". That's something I see SO OFTEN, in comments, too. Do we just need a journalist to explain the baseline definition of what that phrase actually means?

The other thing is how Ubisoft ALWAYS, in every interview, seems so, so, so intent on proclaiming that they don't want to take a stance. That, somehow, every piece of art is worth more if it actually just presents a lot of points of views and then leaves it to the player to actually...you know...engage with any of it. The second part of that is also that they seem to thing that they are ALREADY doing that. Which is why it's so great that Stephen is pushing against that here. Far Cry 5, The Divsion, Ghost Recon aren't presenting a huge array of political opinions without judgement at all. That's not what any of these games are doing. But, somehow, some Marketing Team had do have decided at some point that that's the company line, that Ubisoft is being the ultimate "Both Sides"-Company - which would be worthy of criticism by itself, of course - when they are really not at all doing that.
It is not just him. You had the developers of Modern Warfare come out and claim that it isn't political because it is a story that has been told many times.

Seems to me that a lot of people don't understand what politics are.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

This is a good summary of Ubisoft's problem - their artists appear to be on a completely different track than the leadership and marketing which warps critical analysis and prevents us from engaging with the artists honestly.

It's also what the Ghost Recon writer alluded to in a recent blog post:

Lewis Manalo said:
I'm not going to pretend that the writing sold the game, but in blog posts, in forums, in player reviews, it seems that the more of the game a player gets through, the more likely they appreciate the writing. Many players struggle with understanding that the narrative is not the kind of apolitical, superficial narrative that they were sold.

And when their games are released and the audience/press takes umbrage at themes and subtext that they didn't intend (death of the author and all that), it's difficult to change the perception and any attempts to do so are unsatisfactory because they're obtuse and lacking in credbility ('it was all satire, honest!', 'it's actually a criticism of the thing you find offensive', 'there's a deeper message, you just don't see it!')

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
assassins creed is at its core explicitly anti-capitalist. I truly wish they were able to go deeper into that than they do.

ubisoft's anti politics squad is a complete failure at anything other than letting their creators have more articulate statements in their work. the politics are and will always be there.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In an interview with Kotaku, VP of editorial Tommy François admitted that Ubisoft is holding back.

"I do see that we're being challenged on politics," he told the site. "It hurts me, because we know there's a disconnect between where we want to take games years down the line and what we're doing on a day-to-day basis."

When discussing the criticism Ubisoft has received in the past couple of years in how it handles topical issues, François said: "I was annoyed by the fact that we weren't given more forgiveness for not being perfect.

"We know that. We know we de-scope. We know we're not taking it far enough."

Throughout the interview, François said the publisher wants to present multiple perspectives on the scenarios it explores.

"I don't think we invented enough means of communication with the player to get everything we wanted through," François said.

The conversation brings to mind recent comments from Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward, whose directors said Modern Warfare does not have a political message and hinted that it will demonstrate multiple perspectives on real-world conflicts.

François emphasised multiple times that Ubisoft needs to be careful not to push one particular perspective or agenda.

"The goal... is not to be preachy. It's to showcase."

None of this sounds unreasonable. But I guess its been a few days since the CoD interview and we need to find something to direct our rage towards.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Capitalizing on recent political and military trends for profits while claiming your game has nothing to say no matter how absurd that is just to move more units is some real cynical shit. And as a result a lot of their stories and themes are just complete fucking garbage because of it.

drag00n18

Banned
Dec 7, 2018
I completely disagree with this sentiment. I play games to escape the real world, including toxic political discussions. Escapism, and immersive experiences would take a hit for me if politics came into play. Ubisoft risks alienating people that would otherwise buy their games (not smart).

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
It is not just him. You had the developers of Modern Warfare come out and claim that it isn't political because it is a story that has been told many times.

Seems to me that a lot of people don't understand what politics are.

Yup. It's in grained in everything we see and do. Even something that may appear just like a silly little action game can have concepts that can be contentious to some people. Waypoint talked about how the pro-police imagery in Astral Chain is even something worthy of discussion.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He said he'd attended Trump's inauguration in early 2017 as part of a research trip for The Division series and that, while "I thought I was going to get along with the anti-Trump people a bit more, well, I didn't because I saw extremes on both ends that are dangerous."

Yeah fuck this guy

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Capitalizing on recent political and military trends for profits while claiming your game has nothing to say no matter how absurd that is just to move more units is some real cynical shit. And as a result a lot of their stories and themes are just complete fucking garbage because of it.
This is the real issue. Ubisoft have the least engaging narratives in AAA games and their weird political ideology is a massive part of it.

I want games that say something and believe what they say but at the same time use subtext and metaphor so it is up to the player to interpret the message and think about it a little bit.