• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Judging by the image, Ubisoft is defining AAA as $100+ million budgets.

And here's how it paid off in spades:

ubisoftprofitgorif.png

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there are less publishers releasing AAA games, at all. Not surprising that yearly AAA releases will go down as well.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Dont know if this was necessary...everyone knows that the AAA market is one only few companies can handle these days lol.
Which Japanese publisher would you say pushes out a AAA cost game annually? I don't think even Nintendo can claim that.
Of course Nintendo/MS and Sony release at least one AAA game per year - they obv. arent listing first party studios.

Ubis 100m definition is ridiculous to begin with.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Japan isn't AAA, pack it up everyone.
How many Japanese games this gen cost $100 million to develop?

Only 4 publishers have yearly releases for their IP.
How many pubs released as many new expensive IPs as Ubisoft this gen? It's not just yearly release. Pubs are funding both expensive new IPs on top of the recurring franchises. I don't think any big pub is solely relying upon old IPs and nothing else.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think having 100+ million budgets is something to be proud of. I think it means you can't make a truly excellent game without throwing tons of superfluous money at it. That isn't to say the four third parties listed can't do that or haven't done that in the past.

DOA

Oct 26, 2017
do they mean AAA series? like FIFA, Assassin's Creed, COD, Battlefield, 2KXX and such? or do they mean AAA in general?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I havent bought a Ubisoft game since ACIV (which was probably my first and so far only Ubisoft game to date). So yeah, whatever, Ubi.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
At first I thought this was sad. But then I realized you don't need to be AAA to get the job done well.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a slide showing profits? Coming out with $100M budget games every year isn't necessarily a great thing if the profits aren't matching.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
So why would Sony/MS want to release a new console generation if only a couple of publishers will be able to succeed? Its obvious a higher powered box would only attract the most demanding gamers. All they will get are micro transaction filled grind fests it seems or am I wrong in thinking that?

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
If you count marketing budget, I would imagine FFXV and GT: Sport both hit 100m.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a slide showing profits? Coming out with $100M budget games every year isn't necessarily a great thing if the profits aren't matching.

All four of those AAA are tremendously profitable and make a fair majority of the revenue for core games. That said, the ceiling for AAA development is so high now that for the most party any new entrants in the publishing sphere are going to be targeting indie and mid-tier levels which is very healthy right now.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seriously though, this is like an NBA team gloating about playing at a slow pace and lacking range shooting at the 4 and 5