• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
The company is opening a new outfit in Mumbai, India, to join its existing development house in Pune.

The Mumbai division will report to Pune studio MD Jean-Philippe Pieuchot. The new outfit will work with Pune on supporting major Ubisoft franchises including South Park, Just Dance, Far Cry, Trials Frontier and Steep.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Pieuchot said that the firm was interested in a Mumbai outfit due to its unique talent pool and large population - it is the fourth largest city in the world.

The studio is due to open in June and will be home to 100 employees, joining the 750 that work in Pune.

"Mumbai will focus on AA development, and leverage our expertise in live operations and games as a service,

Meanwhile, Ubisoft has also opened a second studio in the Ukraine based in Odesa. It will boost the firm's efforts in Eastern Europe, with 10 employees currently and a further 60 to be hired. Adrian Serbanescu, Studio Manager of the Kiev studio, will manage the new Odesa office. The company will focus on the Ghost Recon series.

"Ubisoft first came to Kiev 10 years ago and since then the team grew and took on challenging projects, but alongside Kiev, we have always been interested in Odesa and thus the perfect occasion for us to show this was by opening an office there," said Sebastian Delan, Managing Director for Ubisoft's Eastern European Hub. "We are really glad to see the industry evolving in Ukraine and to see so many people who are passionate about game development."

Ubisoft now has nearly 20 studios across the globe.
Gi.biz

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
They must be feeling quite spendy with this and the $2 billion payout to Vivendi (granted they're not doing that exclusively out of their own pocket from my understanding)

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
A game studio in India eh? Can't say I've heard of too many of those. It's always good when game development pops up in unconventional places.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have my resume ready!!
See you guys at E3 2025 when UBISOFT India presents Assassin's Creed: VEDAS directed by me!

But seriously, will see if they require any Big Data analysts
Hopefully this inspires the dodo's of my nation to have smaller indie start-ups

tilomite

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's great to expand to industry and get some new ideas into game development. I hope this leads to some new IPs.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Had no clue about their existing studio in Pune.

That's neat

Oct 27, 2017
I think you guys are getting the wrong idea about this. This isn't about having new games from different cultures and voices, it's about outsourcing a bunch of the grunt work involved in making modern games to studios in countries where the costs of doing business are a fraction of what they are in the US or Western Europe.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Labor is rather cheap in those countries so this makes perfect sense from a $$$ perspective.

I think you guys are getting the wrong idea about this. This isn't about having new games from different cultures and voices, it's about outsourcing a bunch of the grunt work involved in making modern games to studios in countries where the costs of doing business are a fraction of what they are in the US or Western Europe.
Regardless of the reason, the job situation in India is so bad that companies are creating "fake jobs" (scam companies) with people unaware of what they are signing up for until after the fact. I read an article about it recently.

India could use more real jobs. It's a positive thing.

Icekilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another 10 000 people to say thanks too in a 1 hour long credit scene that you can't skip.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of the reason, the job situation in India is so bad that companies are creating "fake jobs" (scam companies) with people unaware of what they are signing up for until after the fact. I read an article about it recently.

India could use more real jobs. It's a positive thing.
You're right, of course. I also doubt either of those studios will actually develop its own games; they are most likely support studios.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
i thought you already did
The market research department of Ubisoft is absolutely incredible. Everytime a new game of them are announced peopple are like "who's gonna buy that?" and then it takes the charts by storm. I'm still baffled at how For Honor or Wildlands were some of the biggest sellers of the year.

Those guys are magicians.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But in India you can stealth behind cows!

And you can do Bollywood musical as a side mission;

bollywood-dance-gif-3.gif

Serous talk though, I am still waiting for a game to do that.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And you can do Bollywood musical as a side mission;

bollywood-dance-gif-3.gif

Serous talk though, I am still waiting for a game to do that.

Saints Row IV was going to do this
Such a loss

Although, I find mainstream Bollywood embarrassing and dunno why you Americans like it so much
Our indie cinema by comparison is top class. The musical stuff is old fashioned now and they are trying to make more mature stuff
DANGAL is a good recent one, based on the Indian Olympic wrestling league

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dunno why you Americans like it so much

Well this is awkward but I am not American, I am Scottish and to make this awkward moment even more awkward...my family are actually from India. ;p

But yeah I outgrew Bollywood around 2012 when they started copying Hollywood movies, though I do look back fondly on the older movies from the late 80s early 90s.

Dracon

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how is the comparison of the salaries between all those studios and countries.