• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

So there's an AC related easter egg in the Division 2 that hints at a Viking setting, seen in the video above there's a poster featuring a norse god holding an apple of eden. Ubi has a history of hinting at future games with easter eggs.

If we're to assume that the next AC game is an evolution of the concepts/core gameplay introduced in the last 2 AC games instead of the next overhaul, then a Viking setting makes sense.

Pls enjoy this unrelated concept art of such a game by one of Ubi's concept artists.
assassins-creed-vikings.jpg

EDIT

Jason Schreier from Kotaku confirms:

https://kotaku.com/odd-tease-in-the-division-2-spills-the-beans-on-the-nex-1833838193
So does this mean that the next Assassin's Creed, confirmed by Ubisoft to be skipping 2019 and going straight to 2020 (just in time for the expected release of next-gen consoles), is all about Vikings? Well, yes. Yes it does. A few months before this teaser emerged, Kotaku learned from two independent sources familiar with the game that 2020's Assassin's Creed, code-named Kingdom, does indeed star Vikings. We don't know much else about the game, but after the phenomenal Assassin's Creed Odyssey, we're stoked to see what's coming.

Ubisoft declined to comment.

More at the article seen link above.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could be a future AC setting but I wouldn't be so sure it's the next one. My money's on Rome to conclude the ACO trilogy (and hopefully connect the dots with the Ezio arc)

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Makes sense... more boats, more islands!
Also, beard customization or bust.

Still hoping for a mainline East or South Asia entry one day though.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Sounds awesome, but will it be on a new engine this time around or be similar to Origins/Odyssey in gameplay and graphically?

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played one of these since Black Flag, but I'm back in for the Viking period. Just let me play as Leif Erikson, sail to Canada and set up a settlement!

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to completely revamp the combat. AC Odyssey and Origin combat is just not good enough.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
If they can keep up the same quality as ACO or better, I'm in. That shit was fantastic!

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
AC Odyssey with some combat refinement dropped in a Viking setting is an insta-buy for me. Loving all of these games with ancient Norse settings. Give me more.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Is there a lore reason we can't have a "present day" AC? Like. In the setting the games cut back to outside of the Animus? Gimme that near future inner city parkour, please.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes...

I mean, Origins and Odyssey are INCREDIBLE and I will buy any of their games with that new style but Vikings are just so boring to me...

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
That concept art has been floating around for a while. I remember seeing it a long time ago.

What's the context for it in Division 2?

Can't watch the video atm

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Please take 2 years with the next AC and refine the excellent foundation they've built with Origins and Odyssey.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
More islands?? Oh god, I'm kinda tired of Odyssey as it is with the whole islands system.

The theme is interesting and refreshing

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
great, something thats even bigger and bloated than odyssey. The AC worlds are just too big for me to give a fuck these days.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
I hope so. I'm surprised how much I enjoyed Assassin Creed Odyssey. Hoping for more improvements in the RPG mechanics.

Edit: I like vikings, but still want Japan.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
They need to completely revamp the combat. AC Odyssey and Origin combat is just not good enough.

I'm assuming you mean..."Not Soulsy enough?. There's nothing wrong with a true to form hack and slash approach. It's more in my playstyle in any case. One of main reasons I will adamantly not play Souls like games is because the game is literally built upon dying as a mechanic and the difficulty of said combat.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
Oof i hope not. That would heavily emphasize on the ship stuff and I hate that stuff with a passion, its so boring.

Mar 29, 2018
Makes sense... more boats, more islands!
Also, beard customization or bust.

Still hoping for a mainline East or South Asia entry one day though.
I never got the thirst for a South/East Asia AssCreed game until playing Odyssey and realising that in many ways it's a great modern Tenchu game and that holy shit these villages and crop fields and temples could so easily be asset-swapped out for Japanese ones

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
They've explored Vikings a bit before in the Last Descendants novels. It'd be cool if they tackled it full-on in a main game.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah. I have been asking for this for years.

Viking were all over the world so it could be really interesting.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Just play for honor and you can speculate from there whats next. I wish they would jump on japan already, though. I'm more interested in that.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
It could be a future AC setting but I wouldn't be so sure it's the next one. My money's on Rome to conclude the ACO trilogy (and hopefully connect the dots with the Ezio arc)

this, Rome is too fitting to conclude the "ancient trilogy" of Egypt, Greece and finally Roman empire. the viking one could be the first outside of this trilogy.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Too close to Greece imo. They should have went feudal japan.

But that's probably on purpose because they can reuse a lot of assets.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Sounds like a fantastic timeline to me! More boats/sailing and the landscape/atmosphere will be akin to Skyrim which is pretty flipping awesome!

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm assuming you mean..."Not Soulsy enough?. There's nothing wrong with a true to form hack and slash approach. It's more in my playstyle in any case. One of main reasons I will adamantly not play Souls like games is because the game is literally built upon dying as a mechanic and the difficulty of said combat.

If Assassins Creed had souls combat and more polish they'd probably be my favourite games instead of pretty low down my list of desires. It's funny how one or two gameplay preferences can completely change someones perception of a game.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
So city climbing is still dead then.
I have enjoyed the last two AC's but I don't like how Ubisfit has completely disregarded the series roots.

Also more islands and sailing *yawn*

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Next-gen AC game at a Viking setting with the same gameplay style of Origins/Odyssey? Yes, please!

I hope though that they will improve the graphics engine or build a new one.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
We've had a shitload of Norse mythology games but no historical viking games. I'm down.

YurqtGv.gif

axIowWh.jpg

UxRDJ8o.jpg

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's gonna be a long wait for WW2
There's certain settings that they can't really tackle in a mainline games, (for various reasons), that stay relegated to side media, one such reason is some settings are set too far in the future. They actually recently released a graphic novel set during WW2
latest

and one set during Vietnam:
latest

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm more interested in Viking setting for AC than in Rome (which is likely going to be the next AC game), but since Origins and especially Odyssey were exceptionally good, I'll take whatever they'll make.