• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First saw this on Reddit and doubled checked for myself in game.

So in Assassin's Creed Odyssey before the most recent patch you could sell Epic (purple) gear for a hefty amount of drachmae (gold) based on level (could go up to 17k or more)

Since the patch they've reduced the gold you get by about 60%. That's a huge reduction. To top it off they've massively increased the cost for upgrading gear (leveling up gear at the blacksmith) and upgrading your ship.

I can't help but feel like they are trying to nudge players to buying the MTX resource packs.

Edit: The equipment sale nerf is not in the in-game patch notes.

D0bLh0KW0AEi-wn

And the upgrade cost ballooning may be a glitch. But that doesn't excuse nerfing singleplayer games.

Last edited:

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I can't help but feel like they are trying to nudge players to buying the MTX resource packs.

I doubt that. Gold was ridiculously easy in the late game and never a problem. If anything, this might make the game a bit more balanced and offer a bigger incentive to do extra contracts/side quests.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Going to need some numbers here. I had zero problems with the game economy and i salvaged 99.9% of all my gear. Had more money than i'd ever need at all times.

Of course, this could vary wildly depending on how you play the game. If you rush the main story, you'd probably have a harder time.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly why I'm never touching this shit, first AC game I'll skip. Fuck the grind

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Man, thanks to Project Stream I just got the game last week and I've been really enjoying it but this is some poop news.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But people here told me these systems aren't there to make ingame purchases more enticing. Lol.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
well cool time to uninstall this shit. Its a single player game they shouldn't be doing this kind of shit.

Oct 30, 2017
Something something mtx can be ignored and have no impact on a game something

I love Odyssey but people need to stop being disingenuous af with games that they like.

Liethe

Nov 19, 2017
Not into AC games or much of anything ubi puts out, but I would be pissed if I was. Scummy shit.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just said fuck it to the resource system and used cheat engine, then never looked back

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Huh. It's a good thing that just last week I upgraded the gear I have that I will probably use from here on to 70, fully upgraded ship, and have over 1 million drachme.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
Weird since they had reduced the cost of upgrading gear in a previous patch and now they're increasing it back ?

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
First saw this on Reddit and doubled checked for myself in game.

So in Assassin's Creed Odyssey before the most recent patch you could sell Epic (purple) gear for a hefty amount of drachmae (gold) based on level (could go up to 17k or more)

Since the patch they've reduced the gold you get by about 60%. That's a huge reduction. To top it off they've massively increased the cost for upgrading gear (leveling up gear at the blacksmith) and upgrading your ship.

Makes sense. They just deep discounted on xbox, think it was also just on sale on Steam. The idea is to get new players in to buy those mtx packs. Wow this live service BS is really getting bad. I consider it live service because they are constantly tweaking a game that is essentially single player. Which in the old days would not change like this.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Only Lv. 12 right now, but gold hasn't been an issue. Resources are, which was the case with Origins, but thankfully shops sell way more of those this time around. Will have to see if having enough gold is a problem during the long haul. Doubt it since I tend to like clearing regions before moving on.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's a bummer .. I have my preferred set of armor and weapons since like the mid 30's and have been updating it with my levels instead of getting new equipment (because I feel really comfortable with the parks my equipment gives me).

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I echo what other people say in here. In late game you had a shit ton of gold. Even with the reduction I don't think it's as bad as people are going to make it out to be.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
But people here told me these systems aren't there to make ingame purchases more enticing. Lol.
That's the problem... Their original implementation obviously wasn't enticing enough. Which makes the people who said "it isn't a problem" at launch right, doesn't it? Isn't this proof that the MTX were unobtrusive to start with, to the point where people clearly weren't using them and Ubi made this decision? People got called shills for truthfully saying that they felt unnecessary then, and I certainly would never defend this bullshit balance change, but it seems like people want to have it both ways.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Making an issue out of nothing, literally never had a gold issue, had it been this way from the start if may have added an addition to the game because I spent gold like I was some sort of billionaire and wasted it on silly things.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's the problem... Their original implementation obviously wasn't enticing enough. Which makes the people who said "it isn't a problem" at launch right, doesn't it? Isn't this proof that the MTX were unobtrusive to start with, to the point where people clearly weren't using them and Ubi made this decision? People got called shills for truthfully saying that they felt unnecessary then, and I certainly would never defend this bullshit balance change, but it seems like people want to have it both ways.
No it doesn't because the intent still was there. These systems arent in there just for the joke of it. Their whole existence serves one single purpose.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
Weird since they had reduced the cost of upgrading gear in a previous patch and now they're increasing it back ?
I need a refresh on the adjustment they did prior, but it may have been a reduction in the cost of resources and not gold. Resources were the only thing holding me back from upgrading at times when I played through prior to the first adjustment. Adjusting the cost of gold higher now while leaving resources adjusted lower doesn't sound like MTX grabbing.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Please, if you haven't played te game, stop making 'fuck ubi' comments

I got so much money so quickly in AC Odyssey from selling weapons, this makes sense.

I needed uo using the same weapon and armour set for the whole second half of the game, just kepy upgrading,. This makes it more likely for you to actualy try new weapons so its a good thing

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
From the patch notes:

https://assassinscreed.ubisoft.com/...052/assassins-creed-odyssey-patch-notes-1-1-4

BALANCING
  • Drachmae acquisition has been rebalanced across several sources
    • Lowered Drachmae gained with Contracts.
    • Increased Drachmae gained with Bounties and Conquest Battles.
  • Crafting Materials acquisition from Naval sources have been rebalanced
    • Added chance to loot Iron Metal and Soft Leather from sinking ship and looting floating loot.
    • Scaled floating loot quantity based on player level.
    • Lower chance to loot Precious Gem and Obsidian Glass from sinking ship.
    • Increased Wood quantity from Epic Ship.
  • Athenian Hero set bonus will be improved to give: All Arrows Pierce Shields and +30% Hunter Damage.
  • Added a missing perk to the Epic Heavy Bladed Champion's Axe.
  • The Bounty cost for high-level players at a high level of bounty has been slightly increased.
  • Celestial Crown will now increase damage to swords, as intended.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The game has been on sale for $20, gold edition is currently on sale for $33 on XBL, which is pretty aggressive even for Ubi games. I guess they want to get more folks partaking in mtxs. I have barely played the game. So I can't speak to the economy.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Making an issue out of nothing, literally never had a gold issue, had it been this way from the start if may have added an addition to the game because I spent gold like I was some sort of billionaire and wasted it on silly things.

Have you played since the update? I never had gold issue either. Then last night I noticed I ran out of gold after upgrading 3 items.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gold was useless to me at the end I had so much.

Redesign is ok as long as it's balanced and not designed to sell more MT's

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
No it doesn't because the intent still was there. These systems arent in there just for the joke of it.
Oh, no doubt that these companies are trying to fuck over consumers at every turn. My comment was more focused on the vitriol directed towards people who simply stated that the MTX implementation at launch was indeed unnecessary and not at all P2W, as the game threw more than enough resources/exp at the player to not feel any need for the boosters. This, to me, is absolute proof that those people were right in their assessment that game balance at launch was fair and not geared to sell those boosters. Clearly Ubisoft agrees.

This is not a defence of shitty monetization practices in full priced games. This kind of stuff can burn in hell. It is merely an acknowledgement of how sometimes these things can be relatively unobtrusive and not overly negatively impact game balance. Of course, that is changing now that Ubi is abandoning that balance and trying to fuck over consumers again.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
You get so much gold just by playing the game so don't think it's a big deal...

think I have over 1 million gold left and not sure what to do with them

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
I played it on pc with a trainer, unlimited gold and +x% XP, i changed the settings to my taste and had a lot of fun playing it

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Shit.. I bought it not long ago and started it but I'm not very far into it.
This is what I get from buying a "AAA" game with microtransactions in it, even if it was deeply on sale.
I guess I will never learn.

It's not the monetary cost but it gives such a big incentive for the developer to f up the game play.
I guess some bean counter decided that they didn't make enough on microtransactions and had to take action.

Wonder how the dev that had to implement this felt when he saw the JIRA task.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is bullshit. Not exactly gonna make me want to buy the season pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.