• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
On Ubisoft's fiscal call, they noted that:

1.) Since the PS4 Pro came out last year, and the Xbox One X this year, Ubisoft suspects there's at least two years left in this generation.

2.) They say they don't have new information on that (at least that they can provide publicly), so you would have to ask Sony and Microsoft for more specifics.

3.) Ubisoft is very happy that Microsoft and Sony opted to refresh their consoles by doing hardware upgrades instead of releasing accessories like the Kinect and the PlayStation Move, since Ubisoft can take advantage of any hardware upgrades (or even generation shifts) that Microsoft and Sony release easily given their position.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
Even in the optimistic scenario where PS5/Xbox Two come out in 2019 I think there'll definitely still be some support through 2020, so that makes a lot of sense. Seems like they're thinking what most of us are. I was thinking 2019 too at first but as the past couple of years have gone on I think it probably will be 2020 for the new consoles. We're definitely in the second half of the gen by now.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I'd bank more on a fall 2020 release than a 2019 release, but depending on technology costs it could very well be 2019.

AlmostMilk

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we have reached the end of generations though. Maybe we will hear some hints about Sony working on something in 2 years but I doubt we will see another console anytime soon.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Sounds about right. I'm gonna say, in terms of Sony, Death Stranding's probably what caps this generation off. Or MAYBE From's new IP. So 2020/2021.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'm really interested to see what the next XBOX is.
I feel like what the PS5 is going to be seems pretty clear - a more powerful PlayStation with hopefully some BC. Probably another cross media bar UI.

Xbox feels up in the air. Aggressive and expensive. Upgrade-able ? Run Windows 10 and plays Steam games ? Who knows.

Deleted member 1326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone not find that a bit off? I mean, a hardware refresh with 2 years left? What's the point?
It's bad for microsoft that would have to either be a year late or launch in 2 years.
For Sony it works out all right, 3 years.
But I guess it depends if significant tech upgrade will be available for cheap.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I could see Sony releasing a PS4 Pro v2 in a couple of years at a similar price to the current model, but it can do everything in native 4k and then some.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yep, sounds about right to me. Early 2019 we'll get the announcements. Fall 2019 we'll get the releases. PS5 for sure. If XB1X takes off, MS may stick with that. But my guess is that we'll get the Xbox 4 (if MS were properly counting) by the end of 2020. Nintendo is on their own timeline.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes very little business sense for Sony to not ride the PS4 money train as long as productions get cheaper and cheaper

Kamisori

Oct 26, 2017
France
Even in the optimistic scenario where PS5/Xbox Two come out in 2019 I think there'll definitely still be some support through 2020, so that makes a lot of sense.
Or just a new "refresh" of the current consoles marketed as a new generation (fully back-compatible, just the new games which aren't compatible with the previous consoles).

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Plenty of people buy a $1000 iphone every two years to look at facebook.

A new xbox for $500 after two years is hardly insane. Especially if it's fully BC.

RagManX

Oct 28, 2017
I figured 2020 at the earliest for the next hardware generation. Can't imagine a PS5/XBone2 in 2019.

Flarin

Oct 28, 2017
Says the company still releasing games on the fucking Wii. I think this gen will die off extremely slow due to adoption rate. I know I'm not dying for a new system anytime soon. I'm completely satisfied with the games we're getting right now.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Makes very little business sense for Sony to not ride the PS4 money train as long as productions get cheaper and cheaper
I think their release schedule depends on two things: Microsoft's next step and cost of technology. If Microsoft releases X2 in 2019 you better believe Sony will get a PS5 out in 2019 or at the worst early 2020.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Huh...Well, that's kinda disappointing. I feel like I haven't gotten as many games this generation. I mean, some of my favourite games are practically ports

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
At least two years for sure. Probably three in my opinion. Frankly, I would be fine with even more.

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone not find that a bit off? I mean, a hardware refresh with 2 years left? What's the point?
Thank God. I'm sick of these CPUs holding everything back. Ryzen will absolutely be used in next generation consoles and that means affordable high performance.

Microsoft is a year behind. Ps5 in 2019, Xbox 4 in 2020. I bet they'll phase out the base models and let the Pro/One X stick around a bit longer.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Says the company still releasing games on the fucking Wii. I think this gen will die off extremely slow due to adoption rate. I know I'm not dying for a new system anytime soon. I'm completely satisfied with the games we're getting right now.
Well, I mean, you identified the scenario that makes this work.

You can sell a PS5 to enthusiasts in 2019 while still selling PS4s and lots of PS4 games.

After all, consoles usually only sell 10 to maybe 15 million tops in their first year, so cross-gen is inevitable.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think these consoles will have the biggest lifespan by far... like announcement at half of 2020 at BEST

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I think it reflects new options for hardware makers as a result of falling costs. In the past, a few years was enough time for component prices to drop enough for the console size to shrink. Sony and Microsoft have demonstrated that a few years is now enough time to provide a significant graphical upgrade, which would've previously been priced beyond the average consumer.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
Or just a new "refresh" of the current consoles marketed as a new generation (fully back-compatible, just the new games which aren't compatible with the previous consoles).

Yeah, for sure. I don't know too much about Xbox very well but I think PS5 will be an almost PC-like upgrade to PS4. Same architecture but beefier with full BC and games that only run on its specs. I also think Nintendo will be similar and have their next console just be an upgraded Switch.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

PS4 will be still around after PS5 launch. They don't lose anything by launching the PS5 in 2019, it helps them to keep momentum.

Edit: Also, starting a new gen two years after Microsoft's mid-gen update will benefit them.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know for sure I'm waiting for the PS5 Pro, will give me a chance to finally clear the backlog

FroMonk

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's probably not far off to say PS5/XB4 in 2019, in which case I think I'm going to be at a crossroads to either go all console or all PC. I'll likely have a little one by then and I won't be able to afford a new console and upgrading my PC, and my rig is going to get pretty long in the tooth by that point (i7 4770/gtx 970).

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even in the optimistic scenario where PS5/Xbox Two come out in 2019 I think there'll definitely still be some support through 2020, so that makes a lot of sense. Seems like they're thinking what most of us are. I was thinking 2019 too at first but as the past couple of years have gone on I think it probably will be 2020 for the new consoles. We're definitely in the second half of the gen by now.
I really doubt Xbox Two is in 2 years, they just release X

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I think we'll have new hardware by 2020, so sure. I don't mind.

Now they said they don't have any new information to share? That's just made me even more curious.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about right. 2019 is a very likely launch date for PS5. Regardless no way we don't have new hardware by 2020