• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Xbox X in 2017
Xbox Next in 2019?
What's the point of the Xbox X then?

Profit. Whatever they sell of the X is going to make them money.

Also with the X1X and X1S, MS have restored a lot of goodwill that was lost during the launch of the original vanilla model. People now respect Xbox from a hardware viewpoint.

Oct 28, 2017
Got to decide if I want ti get a Pro or just wait it out. Decisions.
Do you want higher/more stable frame rates in your games or even (checkerboard) 1440p/4K right now? If so get it.

I only play exclusives and I got the Pro so I would get the definitive experience (until emulation or Ps5 backwards compatibility becomes a thing). Don't regret it at all and I only play 4-5 games a year on it.

Nocchi

Oct 30, 2017
I can't believe it's been 5 years already...I know technically we've seen games need more powerful hardware, but it just feels like the generation is still in its infancy. Part of that might be the first few years still had such a heavy focus on last generation consoles. A lot of games had been scaled back so they could make PS3/360 versions as well.

Another aspect might be I think new hardware would be hard to justify, because games are not all about graphics. We got the highly successful, yet weaker hardware in the Switch right now, and it's because the games are just good.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing controversial about this whatsoever. It seems very logical to me at least. I'll believe it.

Oct 26, 2017
Hey if this generation still has life in it then maybe do Pro/X patches for R6 Siege Ubi...

I'm cool with this generation ending ASAP though if it means boxes with actual good CPUs in them.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say at least 3 maybe 4 if Sony and MS want to wait an extra year for more powerful hardware.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
2019 or 2020 for PS5 sounds great to me. Curious to see what Guerilla and ND can do on better hardware. My gut tells me it would make sense if the PS5 was back compatible with PS4, doubt either camp would want to lose their install bases.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I definitely think platform holders will move game releases to next gen consoles after 2019 as well as major publishers. What they are making and announcing now and next year will probably be our lot until next gen releases except for the obvious yearly franchises.

The consoles might not release in 2019 but the major franchises and new IP won't be making an appearance on current consoles past 2018. I don't think Forza 8 for example will be back until a next gen Xbox.

Last edited:

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Game development cycles aren't that important anymore, when console architectures are becoming more similar than ever before. It will be very easy to port PS4 games to PS5, much easier than it was in the transition phase from PS3 to PS4.
It´s more about install base than development costs though. The huge AAA games simply miss out on a massive amount of sales if they skip an entire generation. And i doubt Sony or any other publisher wants that.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
they are right 2019-2020 we will have a new gen. That is about 6-7 years after the release of the PS4.

Flarin

Oct 28, 2017
The Wii U is an anomaly that barely counts IMO. It was such an embarrassing failure. Switch will probably surpass it in sales but the end of the fiscal year.

Sony and Microsoft aren't letting Nintendo dictate their production pace, the presence of the Switch isn't going to dent excitement for a PS5. If anything, had the Wii U been more successful I'm absolutely sure Nintendo would have held back the launch of the Switch as well, as there are aspects of its hardware that clearly could have used more time in the oven. Nintendo were desperate for a Mulligan on this gen, Sony and MS are not.

Exactly. Nirolak, you said that gen only lasted 4 years and therefore consoles could release quicker. Nintendo NEEDED to release the Switch early. Sony doesn't with the PS5 or whatever it's going to be. They could, but I really don't think there is a huge hunger for another generation already. Maybe in 3 years or so, but I'd be shocked if PS5 came out in 2019.

Edit: A lot gets lost in text form, so I hope this doesn't come off as aggressive or whatever. Just trying to say Sony and Nintendo's situations are quite different :)

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow I have my doubts on that. Mind you that we have been in this generation for about 4 years now, but even so, I feel like we are starting to migrate into a generation where brand new consoles might be more years apart than they have been (even though the wikipedia doesn't know if the Switch should be apart of this generation with the X1 and PS4 or apart of the next generation).

Especially considering that the Xbox One just launched, I feel as though we have a couple of good years with that before we even start to consider the next step (or if we might see a case where the Xbox One X will become the new norm and we start to see "Xbox One X titles").

A bit too early to say, but I feel like we don't need to consider that next generation of gaming quite yet. Later on for sure, but not for the immediate future.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Since this is Ubisoft making the call, I wonder what they're release roadmap for Beyond Good and Evil 2 looks like. Are they planning it to be PS4/XBO? Current and next gen versions? Definitely Next Gen?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The only way I see Sony releasing PS5 in 2019 is if it's fully backward compatible, inserting a PS4 disc and being able to play the game with added upgrades will be a nice selling point, and Horizon 2 of course.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I don't know guys... I mean, maybe it's just me, but... do we even need new hardware that soon? Like, I'm seeing games like Last of Us, God of War, Death Stranding and others on the horizon, and it just seems like we haven't seen what these consoles are fully capable of yet.

I mean, can we even realistically expect games to look much better than those, or feel like a huge leap forward next-gen? Will PS5/X2 even feel like a "next-gen" leap forward beyond native 4K and maybe better framerates? I'm honestly asking, because I'm not sure what to expect here, and I fear we might finally be hitting a point of diminishing returns.

Oct 30, 2017
I am not buying Pro or X as l don't see them as a 'true' upgrade/new console.

I'm in for the next one though, be that 2019 or 2020.

Especially if there's a new game from Playground there as a launch title . . .

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
I don't know guys... I mean, maybe it's just me, but... do we even need new hardware that soon? Like, I'm seeing games like Last of Us, God of War, Death Stranding and others on the horizon, and it just seems like we haven't seen what these consoles are fully capable of yet.

I don't know if its just me but it feels like the PS4 isnt all that old. Either that or this generation has flown by so quickly. I'm in the same boat I feel like there so much more to look forward to this gen.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What people are forgetting is wehave three companies with three different strategies now. Sony is wanting generation leaps. Xbox is now generationless and Nintendo is Nintendo.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I expected the next generation to start in 2020, this seems right. That would be 7 years since the PS4 launched.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Ηaha, who can tell anymore when a gen start and end?

Nintendo has a new system in the market for how long, 6 months? it isn't new gen in power terms but in everything else it is.
Microsoft just released a new gen machine (consider the raw power alone) marketed as a mid gen refresh.

So, a new gen starts only with the ps5 on market or what? can anybody answer that because i think that this situation with the iterative machines is good for everyone, console builders, publishers and consumers.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if its just me but it feels like the PS4 isnt all that old. Either that or this generation has flown by so quickly. I'm in the same boat I feel like there so much more to look forward to this gen.
The generation is definitely flying by. I feel like it really didn't start hitting it's strike until last year. There is still definitely a lot to look forward to, usually when a generation is coming to a close you can feel it a bit, this time ain't one of those. We are still a ways out, wouldn't be surprised if this generation lasted longer than last generation.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Is it crazy that I'm honestly still in no hurry for this generation to end?
I don't think theres really been enough time to make the PS5 really impressive compared to the PS4

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
To me, 2019 sounds only reasonable if the "next generation" is also another upgrade, i.e. we get to play our existing libraries from the start, (analogue to buying a new graphics card for PC, which afair is the argumentation they were going for when starting console revisions). Of course with the next upgrade, be it another revision of existing hardware or a new iteration (PS5/ Xbox 2), I also expect games ot not support the old platforms anymore, maybe not all games, but some.