• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is the opportunity for Sony to beat Ms by one year to Market if they launch 2019. And we all know the first to market will dominate the generation so I doubt Sony would delay to 2020 and launch with MS.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I think 2020 makes sense because we have reached a point where graphical upgrades will not be that apparent with new consoles. The gap from xbox x to a new xbox and ps4 pro to ps5 will be minimal. It will be like a mid gen upgrade. I think you will see crossgen titles for years untill maybe another mid gen refresh.

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Well, if you view it as a mid-generation upgrade:

2013: PlayStation 4
2016: PlayStation 4 Pro
2019: PlayStation 5

I totally agree with this.

I would like to add that the reason I am sure PS5 is 2019 is because isn't it the 25th anniversary of PlayStation the end of 2019? How else to celebrate then with a new console with big advertisements.

I would add then 2022: PlayStation 5 Pro

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
2020 any sooner and I feel like these companies are just leaving money on the table and rushing the generation. This generation with mid gen reiterations works for me and am content... let the tech grow and get cheaper before expecting us to shell out another $400-500 per system.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
2020 plz. Am not prepared for new consoles in 2019, lol. Especially since the PS4 has only just started picking up steam over the last 12 months. Gimme another year.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
2 years is sensible given the weak sauce CPUs.

Much more than that and it'll a huge barrier like limited RAM and VRAM (especially on PS3) was last gen.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It will be more than 2. Both Sony and MS are interested in riding this gen as long as they can (Sony because PS4 still sells millions of new units; MS because XBX have to sell for as many years as possible and will likely only hit its stride after the first price cut) and with Pro and XBX both are pretty well positioned tech wise to not loose too much sales to PC.

Then again there's production lines schedules which don't bode too well for launching anything mainstream on new process tech in 2019. I'm pretty sure we're looking at end of 2020 at best, possibly even later.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
2020 is when I think we'll see successors, at least I hope so. Shouldn't be an issue anyway as BC is probably a lock, at least from Microsoft. These Jaguar CPUs have go to go.

Heath V

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the recently-released hardware I sure hope that we are more than two years away from the Next Generation.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the opportunity for Sony to beat Ms by one year to Market if they launch 2019. And we all know the first to market will dominate the generation so I doubt Sony would delay to 2020 and launch with MS.
MS would be happy to wait a year and release a more powerful console like X1X a year later and get all the hardcore who want to play the best version of the games.

Besides, lets face it, no third party is going to have next gen games ready by 2019. 2020 holiday is when we will see next gen games, if not 2021. So Sony releasing a year early with a weak console and no games will not work in their favor. They will be the next Dreamcast or the Wii U, not the PS2.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
I can honestly wait until 2021 for a new xbox/playstation. I think Nintendo will do the same as Xbox/PS and release a Pro Switch some time in 2019

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely sounds about right. I think this refresh era was just to test the waters but the next gen will happen in 2019 or 2020. I bet on it

Redevil

Oct 31, 2017
If there is 2 more years left in this gen, this begs the question, what's the point of releasing Xbox One X now?

Oct 28, 2017
If there is 2 more years left in this gen, this begs the question, what's the point of releasing Xbox One X now?
That's what I've been wondering ever since the Scorpio released a year after the Pro. I'm guessing they're going to phase out the base models and Scorpio will still have four-five years left in it due to the vastly superior processor/GPU.

Xbox 4 is probably going to be a year behind the next Playstation.

Raigan-etc

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
London, UK
maxresdefault.jpg

MUWHAHAHAHAHA

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Do you guys think that the next generation of consoles will have backwards compatibility with the current one?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I think 2020 makes sense because we have reached a point where graphical upgrades will not be that apparent with new consoles. The gap from xbox x to a new xbox and ps4 pro to ps5 will be minimal. It will be like a mid gen upgrade. I think you will see crossgen titles for years untill maybe another mid gen refresh.

If games would be actually developed with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X as a base there would be far bigger upgrades to base gaphics than currently. With PS5 and Xbox Two as a base for development the jump from base PS4 and Xbox One will be big. Especially as they can leave jaguars behind as a base CPU target.

Oct 28, 2017
Do you guys think that the next generation of consoles will have backwards compatibility with the current one?

If they're not, it will be complete bullshit considering they'll absolutely be X86-based. The PS4 had an excuse with the Cell processor. Not anymore.

If games would be actually developed with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X as a base there would be far bigger upgrades to base gaphics than currently. With PS5 and Xbox Two as a base for development the jump from base PS4 and Xbox One will be big.

The jump in processing in both PS4/PS4 Pro will be massive when stacked up against Ryzen year 2/3. Xbox One X won't see as much of an improvement.

Diminishing returns are real and at this point game design isn't hindered by hardware.

Current gen consoles really struggle with the amount of simulation in open world games due to processing limitations. Unfortunately open world games are in fashion right now so I have to wonder how much these consoles are holding back what these developers want to do.

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Japan is never going to catch up.

Guess they're all going to flock to the Switch.

Feels too soon to be honest, even if it's 3 years away, but I guess that's the average console cycle.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know guys... I mean, maybe it's just me, but... do we even need new hardware that soon? Like, I'm seeing games like Last of Us, God of War, Death Stranding and others on the horizon, and it just seems like we haven't seen what these consoles are fully capable of yet.

I mean, can we even realistically expect games to look much better than those, or feel like a huge leap forward next-gen? Will PS5/X2 even feel like a "next-gen" leap forward beyond native 4K and maybe better framerates? I'm honestly asking, because I'm not sure what to expect here, and I fear we might finally be hitting a point of diminishing returns.

Diminishing returns are real and at this point game design isn't hindered by hardware. At the beginning of the current gen there was much lamentation over the lack of "next-gen experiences" and that was after a historically long preceding generation. At 2019 or 2020 launch of next gen consoles would offer framerate, resolution, LOD, and IQ improvements similar to the bump from PS4 to Pro. At that point an arbitrary software cutoff would seem silly, and all the games could arguably be played on weaker hardware at 1080p with lower settings.

To achieve the generational leap people are used to this generation has to be very long. Alternatively the hard software cutoff we're used to could just end and we'll have more frequent iteraive hardware releases with backwards and forwards compatability.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The PS360 didn't die right away.

This gen will most certainly linger a few years. Especially with entry-level 4K support now.

What you need to watch for is fragmentation into VR or AR, not as accessories, but as base platforms.

I expect a lot of retro-remastering too. So, you may as well just get nice and comfortable.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
2019 would be my guess as well. Not too surprised Ubi thinks the same. I only wonder if MS will also be ready, because at that point the X is only two years old and you might sour some buyers of that thing.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The PS360 didn't die right away.

This gen will most certainly linger a few years. Especially with entry-level 4K support now.

What you need to watch for is fragmentation into VR or AR, not as accessories, but as base platforms.

I expect a lot of retro-remastering too. So, you may as well just get nice and comfortable.

Yup. Also, the orig Xbox was out about 4 years when the 360 launched. Nirolak has a point about the Switch.

2019 is 6 years after the PS4/XBO launched. 2019 is realistic.

Think about this: cross gen games from PS360 to PS4/XBO vs cross gen games from PS4/XBO to PS5/XBTwo.

Its gonna be alot better this time.

And I can totally see Pro/XBOX being the base systems eventually for this gen. Cross gen from those 2 would be alot better vs PS4/XBO.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017

If a "mid-gen" upgrade means something like UC4 to TLoU pt. II then I think it's going to be pretty apparent.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
MS would be happy to wait a year and release a more powerful console like X1X a year later and get all the hardcore who want to play the best version of the games.

Besides, lets face it, no third party is going to have next gen games ready by 2019. 2020 holiday is when we will see next gen games, if not 2021. So Sony releasing a year early with a weak console and no games will not work in their favor. They will be the next Dreamcast or the Wii U, not the PS2.
So ? And Sony will launch ps5 pro 2 years after that.it will be 2 years for Ms and one year sony for powerful console.but sony has time and price advantage . Don't u realise how big that is ?and don't forget that we are entering into area of diminishing return.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
When I look back at PS3/360 that was 7/8 years, it felt too long. As a person who was playing PC and had both consoles back then I noticed how forums and podcasts that were mostly talking about Xbox 360 and XBL had started to shift to PC in 2011/12 when Sandy Bridge dropped, eyes started to wonder and people wanted to buy new shit.

6 years on would be a good time, 7/8 might be too much again but we have the Pro and XBX in there. Most of the core PS4 base might be looking to buy in 2019 and skip the Pro.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Ugh I can't imagine. I feel we just started getting a steady stream of new great AAA titles. The generation took forever to take off. I don't want to have to wait again with cross gen games filling the first 2 years.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2020 sounds about right for new consoles. This one is really just starting to define itself in the last year or so if you ask me.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
New consoles better not come out any earlier than 2-3 years. A new console doesn't excite me one bit at this point. I'd rather get some more proper games.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If they release a ps4 pro with more ram and a vastly superior CPU, the difference would be great already.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Told you guys/gals fall of 2019 will be new gen for at least Playstation. At the latest 2020. But I will go with 2019 look at 7nm process, and when cross generational games will be out.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If there are less than 2 years left in the generation, a lot of One X buyers will feel fleeced methinks.