• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Come on, man..

I'm still trying to save up for a PS4.

Only going to get two years out of that? Bah.

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I hope not. They would have to do a lot in order to convince me that the next generation of consoles are really worth it, especially with such diminishing returns each gen.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
If there are less than 2 years left in the generation, a lot of One X buyers will feel fleeced methinks.

Who said MS would be the first out with a new console? If anything Sony has put them selves in a position that makes it pretty clear a new gen is near, especially with all the footage of 4k games they've been showing. Wouldn't doubt Last of Us Part 2 work across both PS4, PS4PRO, AND PS5.

2019 Is the correct time to put out a new console. All their big games minus a few will be out.

I hope not. They would have to do a lot in order to convince me that the next generation of consoles are really worth it, especially with such diminishing returns each gen.

What if I told you all PS4 games worked on the new console, and scaled accordingly? What if the console was $399? So all you would have to do is trade in your old system and put it towards your new one, re-sign in and all your digital games are there?

All playable in 4k or something close to that(dynamic 4k).

I wouldn't hesitate. Especially if it showed what you can do power wise while your playing game, or multitasking.

I think the time to strike is 2019. Give or take possibly a 2020 release if there's is a supply issue with AMD for chips.

Last edited:

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Fall 2020 is a safer bet. TLOU II will probably be ready by Summer/Fall 2019 and I can see Death Stranding arriving just before PS5 hits or maybe even being cross-gen.

I would greatly prefer a 2021/2022 PS5/NextBox launch though.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I feel like theres atleast 3 years.... I feel like the generation just started getting going a year or so ago. First year was super super super slow.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I think 2020 makes sense because we have reached a point where graphical upgrades will not be that apparent with new consoles. The gap from xbox x to a new xbox and ps4 pro to ps5 will be minimal. It will be like a mid gen upgrade. I think you will see crossgen titles for years untill maybe another mid gen refresh.
Just asking but do you know exactly what goes into making games for the Pro and X? Games aren't being built from the ground up to take advantage of the hardware that a PS5 & Xbox 2 would see. The Pro and X are simply being used to brute force better resolution and fps so to speak. Only a handful of games have received minor texture packs etc. You don't have the full potential of the GPU and CPU being used to create richer and more detailed graphics as well as new lighting systems and geometry/environment systems. Something which the next consoles will.

TLDR; Next Gen will be a massive upgrade from PS4 and Xbox 1. The Pro consoles aren't the base to compare to and the only real comparison would be to compare resolutions.

Just like the dreamcast destroyed the PS2 by launching before it
You skipped a whole generation with the Xbox 360 and PS3 there mate. The Xbox 360 nearly did destroy PS3 by launching a year early.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do not get why people think cash grab mid generation consoles have anything to do with prolonging the generation. They are cash grabs to get people to buy a new version and they can gradually phase out the original version for any new buyers who straggle in late. New Console launches and they can always multigene for a year or two but clearly be dedicated to PS5 or whatever

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda surprised people don't know this.
And yes, a 2 x 3 year cycle would make a lot of sense, any longer and the current gen systems will truly start showing their age.

Though I can definitely see especially Sony riding this gen out as long as possible, but I think it would be a huge mistake.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how Ubisoft always has new games and new IPs for each generation, I'll go with that.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Xbox X in 2017
Xbox Next in 2019?
What's the point of the Xbox X then?
I genuinely expect current consoles to support future titles (a forward and backward compatible future). Maybe 720p, maybe 30fps, maybe low textures, but it'll support it. That or we will see quick and dirty ports.

We will see sequels to Sports titles and to games that have well supported engines. We may even see games that are made for current gen and will be ported to future gen with extra bells and whistles, while releasing both versions.

If that's not what's going to happen then I'm going to dream here. Next-gen will be won by the most compatible platform, and there's a lot of room for stalemate.

Last edited:

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
i'm kind of thinking "gens" are on their way out... with that being said, games take so long to make whats the point of making a jump to a new system when hardly any games have come out... It took PS4 2 years to get good momentum... it just seems like with these "mid gen" refreshes, there isnt a reason to have generations anymore.

Either generations should last longer about 10 years with a few hardware refreshes... or leave gens at about 5 years with no refreshes...

I just question how "next Gen" you can truly make your system when it is coming out 2 years after you already made a much more powerful version of a piece of hardware. It may say PS5 but will it really be more of a ps4 pro PLUS?... I'm under the impression that Systems will follow more of an evolutionary approach rather than major leaps and bounds like it used to be... could we really call PS5 gen 9 if it plays gen 8 games just on slightly better hardware? ... and where does switch fall into all of this... ? If switch+ comes out with volta chipset is that gen 10? The lines are becoming harder to draw.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
2020 is the correct time. 2019 will be a great sendoff year for the PS4 with TLOU2, GoTs and Death Stranding. All this next gen talk is ridiculous considering how many great games are coming in the next 2 years.

nuggetgamer52

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about right to me, think we've hit the (or about to) limit of what the PS4 and XBOX1 can do. They even had to push out mid upgrades.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
More likely 3 years left. But 2 years isn't too short of a stretch. I'm going to split the difference and think Sony, maybe not MS, will launch early-mid 2020 instead of closer to the holidays.

Oct 26, 2017
2020 is the correct time. 2019 will be a great sendoff year for the PS4 with TLOU2, GoTs and Death Stranding. All this next gen talk is ridiculous considering how many great games are coming in the next 2 years.

Why? Those could easily be cross-gen titles running at 60fps on PS5 thanks to Ryzen, coupled with nice 4K textures (because more RAM) and improved lighting. Seems like a good fit, considering launch titles are often lacking in some areas.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
E3 2019 tease and 2020 out (similar to how one X was marketed). This gives one X ~3 years, PS4 Pro ~4 years. 2019 seems a bit early to kill one X; so I expect PS5 to come earlier (holiday 2019-mid 2020).

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
2 more years before next Gen systems release: more than I expected.

2 more years of support in general: less than I expected.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Someone get's it.

Yea I think Death Stranding, Last of Us part 2 will be playable on PS5 in either native 4k or High range Dynamic with HDR support and possibly run at higher frame rate if the extra work is put in.

Definitely. Some may say that releasing a title on both console may kill the sales of the new console, but I think Nintendo has proven otherwise.

Speaking of Nintendo, let's go more bold with the predictions.

Prediction: Fall 2019, along with PS5 and Xbox 5 (they're tooootally skipping 2 or 4 aren't they? lol), Nintendo will release their pro version of Switch with better hardware, screen, controller, compatibility, and more. This way, they won't miss out on those ports. I bet they've learned from feedback and new tech, and are ready to some changes.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Two more years sounds reasonable, with an additional two before AAA developers phase out crossgen ports.

It feels like this generation just got started, but the PS4/XB1 are already 4 years old.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
You skipped a whole generation with the Xbox 360 and PS3 there mate. The Xbox 360 nearly did destroy PS3 by launching a year early.

And reason for that was far more complex than one year headstart. Sony came year later with only marginally more stronger box (and you actually couldn't see this from launch games) and with far higher price. X360 actually didn't really sell that well during its first year.

fiendxclub

Nov 3, 2017
UT
TBH I'm hoping the next generation doesn't get going until after 2020. I could easily enjoy another 4-5 years of games on my PS4. Feels like the last 4 years have gone by so fast. Still plenty of games I haven't even played yet.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
And reason for that was far more complex than one year headstart. Sony came year later with only marginally more stronger box (and you actually couldn't see this from launch games) and with far higher price. X360 actually didn't really sell that well during its first year.

The PS3 had a price disadvantage, was harder to program for, had an inferior RAM set up for certain game engines (Bethesda's stuff being the most glaring example), and I think that Sony was less prepared in general for the transition towards formerly PC-centric Western developers that we saw in the AAA space last gen. Microsoft was scoring a lot of console exclusives in 2007 that would easily be multiplatform now. They also had the better online service, even if you were paying for it.

The Playstation brand still made the difference in most PAL and Asian territories, but all of the above was enough to sway a lot of North American gamers. I also think that Microsoft was much more successful at branching out via the Kinect and Minecraft than Sony was in North America late in the generation.

All of that said, I don't think that there are any hard and fast rules about launching early.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that next Xbox and the Xbox One X just use the same disc with the Xbox Two getting the obvious visual and performance boost. I'd like to the to a cell-phone like point where as long as the software is the same, everyone can play together.

Also hope 360 games get an even greater boost on the next Xbox.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Why? Those could easily be cross-gen titles running at 60fps on PS5 thanks to Ryzen, coupled with nice 4K textures (because more RAM) and improved lighting. Seems like a good fit, considering launch titles are often lacking in some areas.
I dont think Sony is in the cross gen business. They will sell you remasters later, even though I fully expect the PS4 versions to be BC on PS5, just only capable to run at PS4 settings. Those games would also not look good in comparison to real PS5 games and be shat on for not being fully next gen.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I dont think Sony is in the cross gen business. They will sell you remasters later, even though I fully expect the PS4 versions to be BC on PS5, just only capable to run at PS4 settings. Those games would also not look good in comparison to real PS5 games and be shat on for not being fully next gen.

How so? So Horizon, Uncharted 4, Ratchet and clank don't scale well on PS4 PRO? Because architecture wise if they stay with AMD and x86 there's no reason something like what XBox One X is doing to 360 games can't be applied to how PS5 takes PS4 games. And if anything they won't be emulated. They would just need to create a new software suite with API's that accept the ones from PS4.

It can be done, and I think that's what's been going on behind the scenes with Cerny and some of the ICE team engineers for some time now. They know how big digital library's are now, being able to play games you played from you purchases solidifies sales of new console.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to predict that we will see more hardware iterations instead of a clean-cut new generation in the traditional sense. The jump in power may very well be bigger than what we saw in Pro and X, but there are clear advantages in having full backwards compatibility (and yes, to an extent, forwards too - that's also what we currently have; I would expect the original models to be left out here but not the advanced ones). The existing userbase will certainly have more reasons for staying with a brand if the new hardware maintains the existing software library while also adding benefits to some of it.

I also expect Nintendo to start treating their Switch line in the same way, but that's an easier prediction because IIRC they said something about plans like that in the past.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
cross gen games are a thing. I think many of those saying 2019 is too soon, are not taking into account how slowly people are to adopt. Which means that even if a PS5 releases in late 2019, PS4 support will still go on for another 1-1.5 years, especially if they share a similar architecture as expected.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
By the end of last gen I got tired of PS3 and Xbox 360 and moved on to pc, and even stuff like The Last of Us did not impress me on a technical level with all its chugging and relatively low tier lighting systems but this whole issue SHOULD be remedied this gen with the incremental improvements. I kinda want PS4-gen to go on a bit longer than just 2 more years before the next big jump (and hopefully it will actually be big next time)

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see what the point would be, it seems like this gen is just starting to hit its stride. Lets ride it for a few years.

When I see these I always laugh. It's definitely just hitting it's stride in 2017, but by 2019 it'll have been two years of "stride" and by that point most early adopters (or folks from Y2) will be beyond ready to move on.

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
What with the whole advent of the PS4 pro and Xbox One X I don't think the traditional generation leaps apply anymore.

Nope. We are now into a cycle of new HW every 3 years with support lasting 6 years for existing HW. When the PS5 or the PS4ProPlus comes out, lots of games will still function on the OG ps4 but the transition will be similar from the PS3 to PS4.

Moving forward I fully expect Sony to sacrafice extreme performance by designing the next system around PS4 emulation. The two systems will be much more similar in architecture then the PS3/PS4 were, enabling the library of games to grow with each new console released. The last thing Sony wants to do is fragment their userbase going forward among ecosystems because it gives the competition the biggest chance to cannablize its users.

We are in the never ending generation.