• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
IGN sat with Ubisoft CEO, Yves Guillemot, at Gamescom where he spoke about the company's vision for the future of gaming beyond releasing new home consoles.

Ubisoft hasn't been shy about its stance that the future of gaming will shift away from hardware releases towards streaming.

Here are some interesting soundbites:

Technology is actually going in that direction. The machines will be more powerful and the system to transfer data will be more efficient, so at one point, we will have a better experience streaming something than having to buy a machine and change the machine regularly

Pricing

"We'll have different models. Everyone will be able to choose the model that fits for the type of amount he or she wants to invest. What I'd like is the diversity of models. I don't like one specific way to participate. I'd like to keep different types of approaches so that anyone can play with each other."

Guillemot also touched upon what this means for game development, seeing how Beyond Good and Evil 2 is gonna rely on community creations as an integral part of its development through a partnership with Hitrecord

We feel it's very important to bring the community into the creation of the game so they really feel more at home when they play. Going to HitRecord was a way to organize those things in such a way that it could work with many people. It's working very well. We are seeing lots of proposals that are fantastic. It's really going to improve the diversity and appeal of the game.

"[In the future], games are going to be really huge worlds. It will be really good to have more creators being able to create environments that will be completely different from what only a team [of developers], even if it's 500 people, can imagine

Yves goes more into streaming and the future of gaming in the interview.

Via IGN

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Unlike VR, I think this is the future (almost the present). It needs improvements based on what PS Now offers, but it can get there.

Sokka

Oct 27, 2017
I agree.

Maybe I'll be able to experience good raytracing via streaming instead of having to buy an RTX card for it.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Technically you still need to buy some kind of machine for streaming .... soooo. ^^

But i prefer buying a machine every 5-6 years to a Netflix / Prime Video like model for games, thank you.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Only if you have a very good connection that never goes down. That's not the case of many people (far from it).

So no, i'll keep my trusty PC to game on, thanks.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
"You can go much faster with a ferrari than with a jeep!"
"But... we are going through Sand dunes......"
"Hey, Ferraris as just faster than jees okay? that's fact. Technology is evolving in that direction. You can't just deny that... Jeeps are way oudated compared to a Ferrari..."

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds fine to me.

Imagine this. You grew up being able to stream any game from a Netflix-style selection for $20 a month. Suddenly an executive decides they could be making more money by selling each title individually. So they cancel the subscription service and start charging $60 each for every single major title. Imagine the outrage that would ensue.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will happen for sure, but for a long time it needs to be an alternative. There are far too many places in the world without proper connections (wired or otherwise) where high quality (HD/4K or better) streaming with little to no latency is going to be a mirage for decades. Until this level of connectivity is reached, traditional hardware must exist for consumers. I like what Microsoft is (rumored to be) doing with the choice for the next-gen console of a powerful hardware or a cheaper streaming device, in that sense. Choice is good.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
The nvidia streaming thing works pretty well imho.
But we already had the hype with OnLive. (are they dead?)

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I mean, I feel like this is only possible when a stable high-quality internet connection is universal, which is DEFINITELY not the case for most of the world at the moment...

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Of course he thinks streaming is the future, he's the ceo of Ubisoft. A big publisher who would love to get total control over peoples games.
This would mean the end of actually owning games, mods, dedicated fans finding stuff like the map in Silent Hill 2 and much much more.
People embracing atreaming need to think about the consequences.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Sometimes reading these articles I feel like I'm the only person who deals with weak WiFi signals, routers needing to be reset, your connection slowing down inexplicably or dropping out altogether for no fault of your own - and this is at a weekly basis at least, if not daily.

I'd much rather pay for hardware than have to deal with the problems a streaming future will bring .

Oct 25, 2017
At some point in the future, sure. Anytime soon? No. They wish it was though. As it would mean more control over what consumers play, and that is a publishers wet dream.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
What he is talking about is pretty vague and won't replace traditional new console hardware for another 2 or 3 more generations (6-7 years each), if ever.

Oct 27, 2017
If Ubisoft wants that, they may as well start pushing real hard for Net Neutrality. Unless they plan on leaving the US outside of their business plans, of course.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Sometimes reading these articles I feel like I'm the only person who deals with weak WiFi signals, routers needing to be reset, your connection slowing down inexplicably or dropping out altogether for no fault of your own - and this is at a weekly basis at least, if not daily.

I'd much rather pay for hardware than have to deal with the problems a streaming future will bring .

How do you play your online games?

Oct 30, 2017
So game ownership will be even less tangible, too.

On a disc you have physical ownership for life. You can always play that game minus some sort of built in online connection requirement.
With digital, you can always play so long as you have it stored on a hard drive.
With streaming, your right to stream a game is entirely dependent on whether or not your account is in good standing with a company that may or not change terms or dissolve.

Plus..latency.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be better for them. Do these publishers think we're going to subscribe to each of their services?

They don't want you to own anything. Just keep feeding them money to access games.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No thanks. Imagine trying to play rhythm games, action games, precision platformers, fighting games, and so on via streaming.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there will certainly be a two tiered system like Microsoft is starting to do, maybe even three. Buy a systemoutright or buy a far cheaper streaming system.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get companies that push for streaming as the future when their own multiplayer modes don't even have dedicated servers.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
This is the endgame for 3rd parties, they can't wait until they get a chance to drop middlemen like Microsoft / Sony, so that they don't have to pay their cut.

Imo Microsoft is opening Pandora's box with their big streaming plans. As soon as they put serious money for R&D into this tech and release a viable product, all big publishers will jump on this train, and use similar tech to release streaming apps for Smart TVs, Android and maybe even their own streaming hardware. The market will fragment like on PC, and Sony/Microsoft are fucked.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I think he's probably right at some point in the future, but we're probably not going to get a good version of that concept for quite some time yet. Prior to that, though, there's going to be an awkward impasse in regions which are able to keep up with console releases that nevertheless don't have the network infrastructure for this to not be a significant retrograde step for those places.

Or, to put it another way:

Yves, give my parents decent broadband - and they're in France, so I'm regarding this as your responsibility - then we'll talk!

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I mean, maybe I'm slightly exaggerating the issues by saying daily. However I definitely experience lag at some point in any multiplayer session of play, having that in singleplayer titles with streaming... No thanks.

Then your connection is not good enough. So you won't be the target audience. I have a constant <60 ping in online games. And my connection drops 1-2 times a year. So I am interested.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't increase the speed of light. Your latency will be at the mercy of where they decide to put their servers.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
No doubt this is the future, and the MS tech that interpolates frames to deliver 60fps is ridiculously cool, but I can't picture this will be the norm for most people given how shitty internet can be.

Westlo

Nov 4, 2017
Playing fighting games right now you still get a lot of bad connections... and they want us to go forward with that while streaming the entire game at the same time? LUL

tenor.gif

Hawko

Apr 23, 2018
I don't get companies that push for streaming as the future when their own multiplayer modes don't even have dedicated servers.

Agreed. They have to put their money where their mouth is before any of this is believable.

That said, I do believe there is a future for streaming games, but we are still years away.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Pfft tell that to the UK internet providers

Can barely get a decent enough speed to download digital, yet alone stream the bloody game.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
As many here have stated, this is not something I would be interested in ever.

It is not even about convenience or accessibility. The whole online aspect of video games never drew me in.

And the idea of streaming something sounds repulsive to me for some reason.

BT-787

Oct 26, 2017
There is a future for streaming games, but as long as they don't lock out the rest of us who prefer playing our stuff offline, it's all good. The moment that happens for single-player games, well...ugh.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry Yves, but that just isn't true. Streaming content has never and will never offer a better experience than running it locally.

We can get to a point where the idea is feasible - we aren't there yet - but it will never be the best way to play.

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
What happens if I want to take a break from paying them to use their streaming subscription based delivery system. So is my game time until I pony back up if I believed in what they sold me.

That money is gone, my saves are also locked up bc I gave up my ownership rights for convenience

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
He is wrong. Streaming is and will continue to be awful.

Unless you live near the servers.

And they will never have worldwide servers.

Gamepass is a much smarter thing, because download speeds can get better, but you can't fix streaming lag, if you are far away from the server, physics get in the way.

Most games are really small nowadays and run on almost everything, so I agree you will not need a specialized machine, TVs will come with the necessary hardware for most games, and you just need to install and play then locally.