• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
This sound horrifying when multi-million sellers, big budget AAA online games still doesn't have servers in all regions!

And how big the infrastructural investment required to accommodate launching something like AssCreed that would more than 5 millins on the first week on a streaming service?!

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
When there is no other option to consume them than by streaming is when I completely get out of AAA gaming (that said, my playtime is already dominated by non-AAA games anyway).

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unlike VR, I think this is the future (almost the present). It needs improvements based on what PS Now offers, but it can get there.
Nobody says VR will be THE future, FYI. You need to fix that thinking. It will just be one key component, among many others, that make up the future of gaming. Once the hardware and cost improves, of course.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Haha, no. Just no.

Still way too many places don't have proper speeds (at affordable rates) and connectivity issues are still rampant.

Imagine getting your new UbiStream App on your TV or w/e and then being at the mercy of their infrastructure not caving in when The Division 4 launches.

Edit: I also like OWNING my games instead of buying a license the publisher can withdraw / stop supporting at any time.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Slightly related

In light of the whole "For those who wants to play local, there is the X360" blunder at the start of the Xbox One cycle, it is interesting to see if Microsoft actually has a better answer this time with their plans to release two iterations of consoles next gen (or that is how I understood it at least)

This is the endgame for 3rd parties, they can't wait until they get a chance to drop middlemen like Microsoft / Sony, so that they don't have to pay their cut.

Imo Microsoft is opening Pandora's box with their big streaming plans. As soon as they put serious money for R&D into this tech and release a viable product, all big publishers will jump on this train, and use similar tech to release streaming apps for Smart TVs, Android and maybe even their own streaming hardware. The market will fragment like on PC, and Sony/Microsoft are fucked.

Yup. It sounds like "let's wait and see" for many publishers. If Microsoft actually managed to pull off something like that, even in limited regions, I guess this will mark a major shift in the video game landscape.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
We already have the majority of music streaming services offering garbage bitrate, and that is tiny music files. Can't wait for heavily compressed video games when they realize they can cheap out on the back end, or nickle and dime you for higher quality streaming.

I will stick with my blurays and high sample rate music

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the end of Moore's law might help streaming to get more popular. When it's getting harder and harder to create small, efficient and powerful consoles, maybe it makes more sense to have games rendered in dedicated data centers with highly optimized cooling and power infrastructure, as well as seamless scaling.

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
Guys we really have to be vigilant for ppl that want to separate us from ownership.

A subscription based delivery system is turbo powered by streaming normalcy.

Subscription based models work for people who don't revisit the games they own, but imagine a company makes a big time franchise available only through subscription?

Imagine you want to stop paying $XX a month for whatever reason, but that means you can't play your favorite franchise again until you do?

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Centralizing computing power has many flaws as a concept.
It's handy when building multi-tentant solutions that provide virtually the same data to a huge number of users (like websites do, think youtube etc.).
But when every user needs his/her own data, like in a game that is being rendered in real time, it's a bad solution no matter how you slice it. Centralization means more heat, inherent lag and strain/demands on a number of systems related only to the transport of information (routing, load-balancing, system orchestrators etc). It also needs a LOT more power in a central location, which from a global ecological standpoint is bad; green power isn't centralized and transportation of power requires power.

Having end users power their own computers and do as much work as possible on the client side is awesome, not only right now as things are at this moment, but also from a future, theoretical standpoint.

Why companies want centralization? Money.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
We already have the majority of music streaming services offering garbage bitrate, and that is tiny music files. Can't wait for heavily compressed video games when they realize they can cheap out on the back end, or nickle and dime you for higher quality streaming.

I will stick with my blurays and high sample rate music

Imagine Ubi, EA and Activision lmao

They'll sell premium packages with higher draw distance / LoD for €/$15 a month more.

Then the US gets slapped with some nice anti-net neutrality tax too.

"Enjoy your games suckas! Love, Comcast"

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
If there is 0 latency added (to rendering, monitor output, etc.) and no visible compression artifacts, at 4k resolution, I would believe that if it won't rely on an internet connection and depends on their servers.

I still like to play my games when servers are down (due to maintanence, network failure, hack, or whatever).

Last edited:

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Slightly related

In light of the whole "For those who wants to play local, there is the X360" blunder at the start of the Xbox One cycle, it is interesting to see if Microsoft actually has a better answer this time with their plans to release two iterations of consoles next gen (or that is how I understood it at least)

Yup. It sounds like "let's wait and see" for many publishers. If Microsoft actually managed to pull off something like that, even in limited regions, I guess this will mark a major shift in the video game landscape.
But most companies don't have the resources to pull this off, so even if some like Ubi of EA give it a try, bigger companies like Microsoft will still have a huge advantage when competing for releases.

I think Xbox's strategy is to get ahead. Timing is everything. Disney is huge and they will struggle against Netflix because they got there first and secured millions of users. And to continue with the same analogy, most movie and music producers didn't try their luck with their own stores and streaming platform, in the end there are only three or four tops in every industry. Even if some companies try their luck against Sony and Microsoft, in the end the number of players will remain similar.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Yves. Do you have a solution for terrible American internet speeds, or are you just handwaving it because streaming sounds cool? ...oh, it's the second one again? Okay.

To be fair though, even he seems to see it as simply a future "option", and on that I agree. Streaming games is a great idea in environments that support it, and you can already see some successful implementations in places like Japan. But I really don't think we'll be reaching a point where most Americans can stream with decent IQ and latency anytime soon.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Hard pass for me. With internet speeds in Australia being awful, and the government being inefficient with getting the country ready for the future of the internet (it's been a shitshow failure), it'd be a nightmare asking people to stream games.

And then we hear stories like that fire department in America whose internet speeds were throttled on purpose and they were told they could increase their speeds if they purchased a more expensive option. What's to stop internet providers from throttling the connection to gamers and then asking them to pay more money so we could stream games?

Others have raised this point, and it is a very valid question. You pay the $100 AUD (base price for most games here) and you have play the game, even when the internet is out or there are issues with the internet. If you no longer can afford the streaming service (e.g. you lost your job) and have to cancel your account with them, then you lose out on those games until you can afford the service again?

There's just too much to this possible future that I can't agree with or see working. Like, would every single publisher have a service? Would we need to pay $30 each to Ubisoft, EA, Square Enix etc. every single month just to play their games?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not entirely convinced they can actually do this, but this is what streaming needs to pull off to get me interested.

I remember when onlive was first one the scene, and they pitched it as "look you can play assassin's creed by streaming", when I already owned three devices that could play assassin's creed.

Show me something not already possible with existing established hardware platforms.

Oct 27, 2017
LOL I don't understand why people are so hyped for this when America's internet infrastructure is so behind the rest of the world. Not even half of America owns broadband internet, yet they want us to believe we are ready? Yeah right.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
LOL I don't understand why people are so hyped for this when America's internet infrastructure is so behind the rest of the world. Not even half of America owns broadband internet, yet they want us to believe we are ready? Yeah right.

Why should 100% of the population be ready? Large parts of the world also don't have internet or even stable electricity.

I can imagine people in cities in the US and people in Western Europe should be able to try this out.

TrickyAssist

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
This just wont happen until interner infrastructure is good enough in most parts of the world which wont happen any time soon. A large chunk of the world(Including developed countries) still have horrid internet that stop this from becoming a reality. Maybe 5G will fix this if we're lucky but I personally wouldn't hold out on something like this being standard for another 15~ years.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for the day GTA 7 comes out and 30m people are all trying to stream it in 4k on home networks , via WiFi in their bedrooms etc

This tech is probably the future but not a future we're going to see in the short term.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Hi Yves. Do you have a solution for terrible American internet speeds, or are you just handwaving it because streaming sounds cool? ...oh, it's the second one again? Okay.

That Ubisoft is can or can't do this is up for question of course, but I don't think he is handwaving it, Ubisoft, in particular, has made statements along those lines for years now.

I think I've read the same idea being talked about by a Ubisoft executive on five different occasions.

Not that they are alone, many big publishers talked about that before.

They seem to believe that we are at the cusp of the final traditional generation cycle, and it is gonna be streaming from that point forward.

But most companies don't have the resources to pull this off, so even if some like Ubi of EA give it a try, bigger companies like Microsoft will still have a huge advantage when competing for releases.

I think Xbox's strategy is to get ahead. Timing is everything. Disney is huge and they will struggle against Netflix because they got there first and secured millions of users. And to continue with the same analogy, most movie and music producers didn't try their luck with their own stores and streaming platform, in the end there are only three or four tops in every industry. Even if some companies try their luck against Sony and Microsoft, in the end the number of players will remain similar.

Oh, I really didn't mean to allude that this gonna go either way. I honestly have no idea how this thing will manifest, or what all of this will mean to console-making publishers, AAA publishers, or small publishers.

What I believe it is gonna be a huge logistical and infrastructural challenge that we still need to have an actual conception of.

In any case, The "getting there first" strategy sounds like a smart move.

It is hardly the point, but the Netflix example doesn't seem accurate in this case, to me at least. Netflix indeed has an immense userbase at this point, but it has been struggling notably for the past few years, to the point that maybe if someone was to offer a similar service, they actually could turn the tables.

Another thing, Netflix's original content is really outright uninteresting at this point. Disney on the other hand, will it is Disney. They won't have a shortage of content for sure.

If Disney also was able to offer more incentives to studios to stream their stuff on Disney Play, that I don't see why Disney can't out-Netflix Netflix eventually.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Square Enix try cloud based gaming a few years ago with Shinra Technologies? They reported extraordinary losses and shut it down.
Shinra Technologies — named after the evil corporation of the same name in Final Fantasy VII — promised "new types of game worlds that could never have existed before" through its "supercomputer-powered" cloud. Where other cloud services such as PlayStation Now are designed to stream games you could otherwise play on PC or console, Shinra's aimed to let you play games so visually intense or complex that they could only be played through the cloud.

Other cloud gaming services have struggled in the past, as question of latency and the necessity for a strong connection makes buying or downloading games a more appealing method of play. Square Enix says it continues to "keep its confidence in cloud gaming," but for the moment at least, gamers still show resistance to the idea of streaming their games from afar, no matter how pretty they might look.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Beyond the inherent limitations of the technology (transmitting data over hundreds of km will always, unless physics is broken, be slower than transmitting data over 2-3 meters), I believe that the future is ALSO in hybrid gaming, and I doubt that it will be compatible with remote play within the next 10 years.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I think that with some improvements, this might become another "30fps situation": We all know that 30fps is not great, and higher framerate is obviously preferable, but it's "good enough" for many people. So those companies don't need to create perfect streaming, they just need to make it good enough. Coupled with other incentives, this could be all that's needed to make streaming popular.

For example, what if you don't have to pay for online gaming* when playing on a 3rd party streaming service?

(*of course they will make you pay for online gaming at some point, but they will wait until they get enough customers).

So I'm renting all my $60 games?

Nah, no thanks.

Oh no. You will still "buy" those $60 $70 games, you just won't own them.

Last edited:

RelaxedOtter

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no. He should be subjected to Australian internet for a couple of months and see if he (and other streaming advocates) still sings the same tune. I'll never buy a streaming console.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
It seems the Future won't be only for Sony , MS, Nintendo ......

Well , We'll see then

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
This is the endgame for 3rd parties, they can't wait until they get a chance to drop middlemen like Microsoft / Sony, so that they don't have to pay their cut.

Imo Microsoft is opening Pandora's box with their big streaming plans. As soon as they put serious money for R&D into this tech and release a viable product, all big publishers will jump on this train, and use similar tech to release streaming apps for Smart TVs, Android and maybe even their own streaming hardware. The market will fragment like on PC, and Sony/Microsoft are fucked.

Yup...so predictable...as we can see already with all the exclusive pc game launchers.
uPlay streaming service,EA Origin streaming service,Blizz.net streaming service,R* club streaming service,Bethesda.net streaming service and on and on and on..... :(

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Playing fighting games right now you still get a lot of bad connections... and they want us to go forward with that while streaming the entire game at the same time? LUL

tenor.gif

At least everyone will get a bad connection. And when everyone is bad, no one is :p

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I was never aware that Square Enix tried something like that.

The fact that they called it Shinra Technologies is amazing, though.
I'm not sure if what Square tried is comparable with what Ubisoft is proposing as the future, but I feel like the connection between having games playable from the clouds was close enough. This thread just happened to jog my memory of it aha, it's been a long time since I've thought about Shinra Technology.

They shut it down because they couldn't get investors, so maybe companies aren't fully into the idea as well. It's certainly a future I do not wish to see happen.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Some people act like he said all games will be streamed starting this year. He's talking about the future and yes, you will stream your games whether you like it or not.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
Still feels like a direction that the companies are going to try to force rather than something that will happen organically.

Games have largely rejected game streaming so far , whoever goes first with this streaming 2.0 is going to have to get it right straight away and site an actual working system that blows everyone away

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
I'm not sure if what Square tried is comparable with what Ubisoft is proposing as the future, but I feel like the connection between having games playable from the clouds was close enough. This thread just happened to jog my memory of it aha, it's been a long time since I've thought about Shinra Technology.

It is something to look into for sure, but calling it after an evil company from Final Fantasy VII is a great idea.

They shut it down because they couldn't get investors, so maybe companies aren't fully into the idea as well. It's certainly a future I do not wish to see happen.

You and me, my friend.