• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ubisoft-winnipeg-office-1.4607796

Interesting news, it seems like Ubi is expanding with a new Canadian studio in Winnipeg. Being a local programmer this is exciting news as:

1) We don't have much of a video game industry here.
2) New tech jobs (in general) seem quite rare.

Hopefully this is a big boost to our local tech sector.

MOD EDIT:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-04-06-ubisoft-opening-winnipeg-studio

Heading up the studio is its first--and currently only--employee, managing director Darryl Long. Long has spent the last 15 years at Ubisoft Montreal, joining the company as a programmer specializing in AI and most recently serving as producer on the just-launched Far Cry 5.

"There's a very specific and complementary mandate for the studio, which is that we want to contribute to the development of the big AAA brands--like Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, and Watch Dogs--specifically in the area of building open worlds," he said. "Our goal in Winnipeg is to do the research and development on the processes, the pipeline and the tools, to put the investment in to making them as efficient as possible, and ultimately increase the quality of the open worlds we're producing for our games. So we'll be working hand-in-hand with the other Canadian studios to develop their AAA brands, and specifically their open worlds."

With that goal in mind, Ubisoft Winnipeg is expected to grow to a headcount of 100 people within five years, representing an investment of $35 million in the province.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
tbh I'm very surprised it's not in Ontario, wasn't the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan one of the entities that invested to help Ubisoft stop the Vivendi takeover bid?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
They're totally on a path to dominance in the publisher space, aren't they? I get that they're not currently on EA or Activision Blizzard's scale and have a long way to go, but in the AAA console space, they're totally on a path to dominance.

ASEdouard

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
tbh I'm very surprised it's not in Ontario, wasn't the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan one of the entities that invested to help Ubisoft stop the Vivendi takeover bid?

Ubi already has a studio in Toronto, which isn't that far (in Canada terms) from their huge main Montreal one. I guess they want to expand westward. Although I guess Winnipeg is kinda surprising.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
Ubi already has a studio in Toronto, which isn't that far (in Canada terms) from their huge main Montreal one. I guess they want to expand westward. Although I guess Winnipeg is kinda surprising.
TBF there is more to ontario than Toronto :)

Having a Studio in Waterloo would make sense to me with the University right there and far less Graduates getting "RIM jobs" than in years past

OP
OP

Deleted member 7777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Jets are going to win the cup this year, Ubi just wants to hop on the band wagon for Canada's team :).

In all seriousness, Winnipeg is a city in a boom. There has been a ton of development downtown (True North Square being a huge example), and the population is growing.

I know people like to make fun of it , but it really is a great place to live and work. I love my home, warts and all.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
They're totally on a path to dominance in the publisher space, aren't they? I get that they're not currently on EA or Activision Blizzard's scale and have a long way to go, but in the AAA console space, they're totally on a path to dominance.
They started this generation with a goal of getting into the $4-$6+ billion a year space (and the 50%+ digital revenue space) that EA and Activision are in and have made some very strong progress toward that.

As it stands, I don't see much reason to believe they won't get there eventually.

ASEdouard

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
They started this generation with a goal of getting into the $4-$6+ billion a year space (and the 50%+ digital revenue space) that EA and Activision are in and have made some very strong progress toward that.

As it stands, I don't see much reason to believe they won't get there eventually.

They seem to be one of the only ones to make money from 'games as a service' while not being hated for how they do it.

ASEdouard

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
The Jets are going to win the cup this year, Ubi just wants to hop on the band wagon for Canada's team :).

In all seriousness, Winnipeg is a city in a boom. There has been a ton of development downtown (True North Square being a huge example), and the population is growing.

I know people like to make fun of it , but it really is a great place to live and work. I love my home, warts and all.

Hey, good for Winnipeg! Being a Montrealer, the only city that annoys me is Toronto, of course.

Oct 26, 2017

Dominance is a big word, Activision Blizzard is still the biggest western publisher by earnings every year, followed by EA.
But Ubisoft is indeed going to reach those numbers in a couple of years.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

What's wild about this is that EA and Activision aren't anywhere near as large as Ubisoft is. 12,000 employees and they're still opening new studios. It's insane.

ASEdouard

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Dominance is a big word, Activision Blizzard is still the biggest western publisher by earnings every year, followed by EA.
But Ubisoft is indeed going to reach those numbers in a couple of years.

Ubisoft's big strength is how diversified their sources of income are. They have a ton of successful franchises, which wasn't really the case 5-10 years ago.

Oct 26, 2017
What's wild about this is that EA and Activision aren't anywhere near as large as Ubisoft is. 12,000 employees and they're still opening new studios. It's insane.

Yes exactly, by having a lot of studios, mostly in Europe East and Asia they can outsource all the work to lower the development cost, while Montreal is working on the core game.
Thanks to all the studios they can release 2-3 AAA games every year with constant support.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Add one more Assassin's Creed team to the list! Now we'll get two AC games every year.

These posts are so wack.

Yes exactly, by having a lot of studios, mostly in Europe East and Asia they can outsource all the work to lower the development cost, while Montreal is working on the core game.
Thanks to all the studios they can release 2-3 AAA games every year with constant support.

This begs the question of why don't Activision and EA do the same thing lol.

Deleted member 11995

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Ubisoft are awesome.

I think we have a good couple of years left before they grow too big and become an evil mega-publisher destroying hopes, crushing dreams and killing puppies.

ASEdouard

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
These posts are so wack.

This begs the question of why don't Activision and EA do the same thing lol.

Maybe because they have less franchises to spread around. Maybe there's also the fact that since the late 90s, Ubisoft has been a very international studio in terms of their workforce. Spreading their wings to less 'traditional' countries for game development might be easier for them.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Good for Winterpeg. I alwahs though Canada's tech sectors should diversify and not just being concentrated in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver. Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Calgary and Edmonton need some lovin' too. Makes sense to put a studio in Winnipeg though. The lease rates and affordability are way lower than either Toronto or Vancouver. As a Developer, heard that not even a $60-80K job guarantees you financial independence in either of those cities.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft Winnipeg is literally a studio for tech involving open world games.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-04-06-ubisoft-opening-winnipeg-studio

"There's a very specific and complementary mandate for the studio, which is that we want to contribute to the development of the big AAA brands--like Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, and Watch Dogs--specifically in the area of building open worlds," he said. "Our goal in Winnipeg is to do the research and development on the processes, the pipeline and the tools, to put the investment in to making them as efficient as possible, and ultimately increase the quality of the open worlds we're producing for our games. So we'll be working hand-in-hand with the other Canadian studios to develop their AAA brands, and specifically their open worlds."

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Considering the help they got from that Canadian fund against Vivendi, this was expected, even part of the deal probably.

Good for Ubisoft and for the new employees.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Is Manitoba a friendly place for business? Doesn't seem particularly tax friendly for individuals.

I hated both living and working there and I've talked shit about that city ever since. It's been ten years. I went back last year for a brief visit and had a reasonably enjoyable day. I suppose I ought to stop talking shit.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Press release from Ubisoft.

Ubisoft Announces the Creation of Ubisoft Winnipeg
New AAA Studio to Focus on Tools and Technology for Blockbuster Ubisoft Brands

WINNIPEG, CANADA, April 6, 2018 —
Today, Ubisoft announced plans for a new phase in the company's Canadian expansion into the Province of Manitoba. The Ubisoft Winnipeg studio joins a global network of more than 13,000 Ubisoft team members operating in over 30 countries around the world, with 4,500 of those based in Canada.

The Honourable Blaine Pedersen, Minister of Growth, Enterprise and Trade, Winnipeg Mayor Brian Bowman, and Dayna Spiring, President and CEO of Economic Development Winnipeg, joined Yannis Mallat, CEO of the Ubisoft Canadian Studios, and Darryl Long, Managing Director of Ubisoft Winnipeg, for the announcement.

"We are pleased to welcome Ubisoft to Manitoba and look forward to working together to grow our tech talent pool and unleash the true economic potential our province holds," said Minister Pedersen. "This private capital investment in Manitoba will create new jobs and opportunities for Manitoba students and graduates in the interactive digital media, information and communications technology fields."

UBISOFT WINNIPEG
Ubisoft plans to invest $35 million (CAD) in the Province of Manitoba, creating 100 new jobs in at the studio over the next five years. As part of the Ubisoft Canadian Studios collective development teams in Montreal, Quebec City, Saguenay, Toronto and Halifax, Ubisoft Winnipeg will play a strategic role as a AAA co-development studio dedicated to developing tools and technology that enable teams to create immersive, engaging game worlds for players.

"The mandate for the Ubisoft Winnipeg studio is important and will directly support many of our most successful, world-renowned brands, such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry and Watch_Dogs - all games that are based on an open-world and systemic gameplay approach," said Mallat. "The creation of these massive digital worlds is increasingly complex, and it's critical that our development teams have access to the best tech and tools to continue to develop the most innovative games in our fast paced, highly competitive market."

A NEW STUDIO TO SUPPORT A THRIVING LOCAL ECOSYSTEM
To achieve its mandate, the studio will attract, grow and develop talent in the province that will contribute directly to the future success of Ubisoft games. Ubisoft Winnipeg will hire Engineers, Tool Programmers, Technical Artists and talent from other specialized areas of expertise to support its ambitious mandate.

"With its thriving local techno-creative industry, and innovative university and college programs that combine creative arts, IT and computer science, Winnipeg is truly a hidden gem for talent in the video game industry," said Long. "Knowing the city and the people behind all the initiatives driving economic growth through creativity and innovation, I am extremely excited about what we will achieve with this new studio."

"When I first met with Ubisoft, I was hopeful our meeting would lead to an announcement like this and I am thrilled we are now in a position to officially welcome Ubisoft to Winnipeg," said Mayor Brian Bowman. "Winnipeg's Information and Communications Technology sector has seen tremendous growth recently and adding a world-renowned company like Ubisoft is excellent news for Winnipeg."

Ubisoft Winnipeg will work closely to help grow the local techno-creative industry through local partners focused on economic development and education.
"Our YES! Winnipeg team has worked tirelessly over the past two years to welcome Ubisoft to Winnipeg," said Dayna Spiring, President and CEO of Economic Development Winnipeg. "Our team facilitated meetings between Ubisoft and local industry stakeholders, helped navigate a smooth market entry for the company, and helped them become welcomed into Winnipeg's business community. This is a huge win for Winnipeg."

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see Ubi expanding in a lot of countries. Their "smaller" studios are also doing very nice projects, so I'm all up for this.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

New studio to be headed by Darryl Long, producer of Far Cry 5.

Heading up the studio is its first--and currently only--employee, managing director Darryl Long. Long has spent the last 15 years at Ubisoft Montreal, joining the company as a programmer specializing in AI and most recently serving as producer on the just-launched Far Cry 5.

The studio was made to do R&D to create tools and pipelines to improve the quality of their open-world games.

$35 million is being invested to hire 100 employees for the studio.

With that goal in mind, Ubisoft Winnipeg is expected to grow to a headcount of 100 people within five years, representing an investment of $35 million in the province.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Everything Ubi is coming up roses these days. Glad to see them succeeding.

Jan 2, 2018
Hope UBI will let them work on their own projects and not just be a support studio. Everything and everyone there will be fresh and motivated to prove themselves,perfect ground for a new exciting IP/Old IP revival..like say...POP!