• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I included the last slide because it shows Assassin's Creed's digital distribution rate being up 20 percentage points versus the last title. We have a separate thread to discuss its general success.

To be clear, back catalog refers to games released prior to March 2017.

ubidig19clgg.png

ubidig2fdyxi.png

ubidig3j9yr3.png

https://ubistatic19-a.akamaihd.net/comsite_common/en-US/images/d20171107045251ubisoft h1 fy18 slides final_tcm99-305925_tcm99-196733-32.pdf

Last edited:

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
40% of total revenue from back catalogue is pretty crazy too

Im sure all the publishers are pushing hard for next gent to be backwards compatible from the start

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017

Im sure all the publishers are pushing hard for next gent to be backwards compatible from the start
Plausibly, but given what Phil was saying, I think publishers wanted to be able to release free next-gen ports of their existing games and have progress transfer over since they make most of their money on microtransactions and DLC anyway.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Was talking to a friend who works for one of the big pubs and one of the recent AAA games he said was at 60% digital. Game stop going to keep feeling the pressure.

DomsPlaying

Oct 25, 2017
NJ & NYC
83% year over year increase in recurring investment.. Wow.

Ubisoft is doing a great job of not just retaining players but also monetizing them.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Digital revenue / full game downloads have quite literally exploded industry wide over the last 12-18 months. A massive shift

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Backwards compatibility =/= Back Catalog.

Back Catalog = titles released prior to March 31st 2017.

In other words, we're talking about Rainbow Six Siege and the like. Those games are being operated as live services, still have high engagement and spend.
Those games are generating a huge amount despite being 1,2,3 or even 4 years old.

That's why everyone is moving to GaaS.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are so close to the tipping point where studios won't have to cater to Brick and mortar shops anymore.

Alright industry:
  • Please start releasing download games early instead of waiting for the physical release setbacks.
  • Please start feeling free to offer better discounts to compete with competing software in both retail and from other download services.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
dunno how i feel about that AC franchise is back stuff. i like the idea of one ac every other year, the yearly shit got stale fast.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they try and make a new Splinter Cell with a GaaS Spies v Mercs element. I love the franchise, and looooved Spies v Mercs in Chaos Theory.

Oct 25, 2017
dunno how i feel about that AC franchise is back stuff. i like the idea of one ac every other year, the yearly shit got stale fast.

I hope they understand this, and don't need to put one out every year.

It was acceptable up till AC3 since they wanted to coincide with the 2012 thing with the modern day.

They don't have that excuse anymore, and they must have seen how unity had hurt the series and Syndicate was met with people fatigued of the franchise.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry is the 20% digital increase relative to digital sales only or sales overall?

Was talking to a friend who works for one of the big pubs and one of the recent AAA games he said was at 60% digital. Game stop going to keep feeling the pressure.

Woah.
Ok if this isn't Destiny then I'm damn impressed.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

In other words, we're talking about Rainbow Six Siege and the like. Those games are being operated as live services, still have high engagement and spend.
Those games are generating a huge amount despite being 1,2,3 or even 4 years old.

Have any publishers commented on Microsoft doing 360 BC impacting them? I remember COD BLOPS 2 charted earlier in the year (or was it last year?) whenever it was made available as BC. Feel like the next generation is almost pressured to have BC from the start.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
We are so close to the tipping point where studios won't have to cater to Brick and mortar shops anymore.

Alright industry:
  • Please start releasing download games early instead of waiting for the physical release setbacks.
  • Please start feeling free to offer better discounts to compete with competing software in both retail and from other download services.

It already happens with movies and is great. I got Atomic Blonde like two weeks ago for $16 on Vudu. The bluray isn't even out until next week I think. Spiderman Homecoming was the same.

I've been all digital this gen and it'll only get better as the market shifts more towards it.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm not prepared to pronounce physical as dead. Days are probably numbered for dedicated game stores like Gamestop but general purpose retail like Walmart and Target will always get a physical stock since they are still viewed as important sales drivers.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Alright industry:

Actually yeah, this is very true. The movie industry already does this.
If the games industry did this then digital shares would practically shoot up overnight (and no limited editions with a couple days early access are not the same thing before anyone mentions it =/).

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Days are probably numbered for dedicated game stores like Gamestop but general purpose retail like Walmart and Target will always get a physical stock since they are still viewed as important sales drivers.

Indeed. Physical copies will not be obsolete for a long time still. Especially with data caps. At some point the digital adoption rate will level off. Where that is, who knows. But yes as you said dedicated gaming stores ala GameStop face very serious long term issues and will be forced to drastically change and evolve their business model if they plan to remain a healthy business.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017

I believe that user was suggesting publishers might push for backwards compatibility from the start of next-gen so that they don't have to port their games. Destiny 2 (PS4) will work immediately on PS5 and vice versa with Xbox 'Two', but still behave as a 'PS5' title in terms of automatic game improvements owing to the vastly improved hardware, with no input required from the developer.

Imagine on PS5 and Xbox 'Two' if games like Destiny 2, Anthem, GTA5, RDR2, Battlefields, CoDs, Battlefronts, etc. were readily available and still supported. It's a win-win for everyone. Consumers don't have to buy ports of their existing last-gen games, which would be automatically upgraded by superior hardware. Devs/Pubs don't have to spend time and money resources to port their games, can continue to support existing ones, and invest in new titles instead.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We only have ourselves to blame for that crazy increase in microtransactions revs

If you mean people in general then yeah I blame them too. I've never bought a MT/loot box and never ever will, but yes I always put more blame into the gaming crowd than publishers. You can't blame a soul-less money sucking corporation for doing what they do. If people would just exercise an ounce of self control this stuff wouldn't work and the publishers would have to try something else.

Quentyn

Oct 25, 2017
They just said on the call that Origins sales are at 35% digital up from 15% for Syndicate.

South Park is at 50% digital.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I believe that user was suggesting publishers might push for backwards compatibility from the start of next-gen so that they don't have to port their games. Destiny 2 (PS4) will work immediately on PS5 and vice versa with Xbox 'Two', but still behave as a 'PS5' title in terms of automatic game improvements owing to the vastly improved hardware, with no input required from the developer.

Imagine on PS5 and Xbox 'Two' if games like Destiny 2, Anthem, GTA5, RDR2, Battlefields, CoDs, Battlefronts, etc. were readily available and still supported. It's a win-win for everyone. Consumers don't have to buy ports of their existing last-gen games, which would be automatically upgraded by superior hardware. Devs/Pubs don't have to spend time and money resources to port their games, can continue to support existing ones, and invest in new titles instead.

Publishers would rather spend money to port their games to make us double dip though.

Nov 1, 2017
Indeed. Physical copies will not be obsolete for a long time still. Especially with data caps. At some point the digital adoption rate will level off. Where that is, who knows. But yes as you said dedicated gaming stores ala GameStop face very serious long term issues and will be forced to drastically change and evolve their business model if they plan to remain a healthy business.
I don't mind shopping at Gamestop but they seem incapable of figuring out how to stay modern and competitive in a changing marketplace. Their reputation among core gamers and abysmal employment practices does not help them either.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Publishers would rather spend money to port their games to make us double dip though.
But they make more money from microtransactions and DLC as shown in the stats above. Porting, whilst cheaper than developing a brand new title, is still cost prohibitive when the existing title could still run on new console hardware, and they could continue to earn revenue off it by DLC sales.

cnc

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/company/investor_center/earnings_sales.aspx
First Half Results:
First half sales up 65.7% to €466.2 million
- Digital Revenue was up 69.1% to €342.6 million (73.5% of total sales)
- Back-catalog sales up 47.9% to €379.4million (81.4% of total sales)

Fiscal Year Plan:
Digital: > 50% of total rev.
Back Catalog: > 40% of total rev.

The digital share and back-catalog share are currently a lot higher than 50%, but both are expected to come down as we head into the busy 3rd quarter.

Last edited:

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
If you mean people in general then yeah I blame them too. I've never bought a MT/loot box and never ever will, but yes I always put more blame into the gaming crowd than publishers. You can't blame a soul-less money sucking corporation for doing what they do. If people would just exercise an ounce of self control this stuff wouldn't work and the publishers would have to try something else.

Yup, corporations are in to make money. It's their fiduciary duty to maximize shareholder value. This is a 100% self inflicted wound.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
All these great increased revenues are essentialy the result of the publishers cuttting the margin of the retailers stores because now they can sell directly to customers through their stores and correct me if i am wrong but i think that ubi is the last of the big players to make this shift to digital so all the profits are justifiend.

What will happen in one or two years when they all earn almost all of their revenues come from digital without further expand?
Some new model or it will be the moment that the king will see that he is naked?

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're now at the stage where the original vision for the XB1 starts to maybe be acceptable to the market at large, huh? I mean they were 5 years early with that stuff, but we're getting there.

I think it would be a good idea to have two SKUs of the next consoles (say PS5). One smaller one that costs less without a disc drive. The actual cost to build it wouldn't be that much cheaper, but it would essentially be subsidised by the fact that all games purchased on it would be digital, and thus at a higher price and with no retailer cut etc.

I'd go for a disc-drive-free console.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft is doing good,nice. Digital is definitely gaining momentum this last couple of months. Wonder what data will we have at the end of 2018?

Deleted member 62

Almost 40% of their revenues came from DLC/season passes/loot boxes. That goes on to show why all the big publishers are moving in to that direction, and why there's the sentiment that Western publishers are moving away from big single player games.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Ubi is absolutely killing it this year. Three major hits for them. Plus more R6S support.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see much people like people on these forums buy MT's from Ubi but the more casual console gamer perhaps

Have you seen an overwatch or destiny thread? All they talk about is skins or emotes or other things that come from lootboxes. It'd be extremely naive to believe none of them ever buy them considering the amount of talk there is on that junk. The people who think they're hardcore are usually just as much of the problem as casuals when it comes to this lootbox plague and speaking solely about Ubi they have one of the biggest GaaS games out there now with R6 Siege, which is very popular even on here.

Ghost Recon is probably big too but I still have never actually seen anyone play or talk about that game. That's the most successful game maybe ever that people could forget it even came out because no one plays it.