• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
This forum has 30,000 members.

Rainbow Six Siege has 25 million players.
Sorry haven't explained myself properly meant like gamers who more in touch with gaming communities online? Whether through Youtube, social media, websites, forums etc. Didn't mean just this forum like people more in touch with on top of gaming like
Have you seen an overwatch or destiny thread? All they talk about is skins or emotes or other things that come from lootboxes. It'd be extremely naive to believe none of them ever buy them considering the amount of talk there is on that junk. The people who think they're hardcore are usually just as much of the problem as casuals when it comes to this lootbox plague and speaking solely about Ubi they have one of the biggest GaaS games out there now with R6 Siege, which is very popular even on here.

Ghost Recon is probably big too but I still have never actually seen anyone play or talk about that game. That's the most successful game maybe ever that people could forget it even came out because no one plays it.
You might be right about Destiny, Overwatch is more PC centric and yeah again your right people willing to give money for lootboxes etc on both platforms

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Sorry haven't explained myself properly meant like gamers who more in touch with gaming communities online? Whether through Youtube, social media, websites, forums etc. Didn't mean just this forum like people more in touch with on top of gaming like

I'd disagree. The majority of people in touch with gaming communities through Youtube or other social media are absolutely the people that spend money on these games.

Social media is the primary way new updates / skins / dlc etc... is promoted.

Don't make the mistake of projecting your personal thoughts on an entire console market.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
We're now at the stage where the original vision for the XB1 starts to maybe be acceptable to the market at large, huh? I mean they were 5 years early with that stuff, but we're getting there.

I think it would be a good idea to have two SKUs of the next consoles (say PS5). One smaller one that costs less without a disc drive. The actual cost to build it wouldn't be that much cheaper, but it would essentially be subsidised by the fact that all games purchased on it would be digital, and thus at a higher price and with no retailer cut etc.

I'd go for a disc-drive-free console.

While a digital future is approaching rapidly now, it was still absurd to build a console around it in 2013. That combined with tv and kinect really fucked them hard.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Backwards compatibility =/= Back Catalog.

Back Catalog = titles released prior to March 31st 2017.

In other words, we're talking about Rainbow Six Siege and the like. Those games are being operated as live services, still have high engagement and spend.
Those games are generating a huge amount despite being 1,2,3 or even 4 years old.

That's why everyone is moving to GaaS.

I know that, but dont you agree that BC can help boost back catalogue sales even more? There's remarkable potential for having your whole portfolio always available for purchase. Black Ops II even charted on a NPD top 10 this year because of that

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
We really need more digital numbers for sales threads. Otherwise I'm just going to assume the number of copies sold is retail sales x2.

Publishers would rather spend money to port their games to make us double dip though.
In the past perhaps, but things have changed. Publishers would rather a consumer stay engaged with a game and this may not occur if a new copy needs to be purchased.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I guess my gaming days are coming to a end.

:(

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
We are so close to the tipping point where studios won't have to cater to Brick and mortar shops anymore.

Alright industry:
  • Please start releasing download games early instead of waiting for the physical release setbacks.
  • Please start feeling free to offer better discounts to compete with competing software in both retail and from other download services.
Agree. I would buy more launch titles from their stores if the retail boxed version wasnt 10 eur cheaper.

It makes no sense to pay more for a digital version over a hard copy.