• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. Anti-homosexuals have been a "thing" for thousands of years. I don't think you can FULLY blame European influence. They're definitely a LARGE part of the blame, but anti-gay laws/ rhetoric has BEEN apart of the global game. Let's not act like Uganda and other nations around the world have no agency.
Yup, Uganda and it's people have agency. White evangelicals absolutely contributed to this problem but it takes two to tango.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll backtrack. A lot of NGOs will probably pull out and a lot of foreign aid will likely get pulled if this goes through. I would like to see estimates on the cost there. I don't have figures in front of me, but I am fairly sure that foreign aid comprises more than half of Uganda's health budget. And a lot of that money could be redirected to less insane places in the region like South Sudan or the DRC. There's a pretty huge potential monetary and health cost to pursuing this policy that, say, the Elizabeth Warren administration could hold over them relatively soon. The international community has more leverage here than just angry letters and yelling.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Christianity didn't invent homophobia but it certainly introduced it to the areas that took on the beliefs. Even in Europe.
Except the people here didn't "find Jesus".

They were infected by it, from white invaders (in later years, under the guise of "charity").

Maybe they naturally would hate gay people. We'll never know.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
This should count as an international crime.

Also, reminder that one of the American groups that worked on making this happen was one of the groups Chic-fil-a donated to.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017

They were infected by it, from white invaders (in later years, under the guise of "charity").

I'm not arguing against that at all. It's just some people are acting like homophobia is a white thing. Which is weird.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are white evangelicals still over there spreading their fucking hate gospel?

I'm genuinely intrigued to find out if the hatred towards LGBT in African nations is at least in part spurred by "missionaries" essentially saying "This is how you go to Heaven, and by the way gay people are evil".

Deleted member 55795

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 9, 2019
This is a country the US gives $970Million in aid to. I think if you cant afford to give your citizens basic human rights you should not see a penny of foreign aid from any country.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a country the US donates $970Million in aid to. I think if you cant afford to give your citizens basic human rights you should not see a penny of foreign aid from any country.
So fuck the PEOPLE of the country... good to know. Doing that would make shit worse. Honestly, I don't know the solution to this bullshit.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No one 'naturally' hates gay people, you are ceding ground to racialized arguments about Africans just by saying that. Christianity obviously plays a part in homophobia in African nations, but so do all the other factors that encourage homophobia (fear of the unknown, lack of utility to the state because homosexuality doesn't produce offspring, finding a scapegoat to blame problems on). China is not a Christian nation and is explicitly and legally homophobic.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
This is a country the US gives $970Million in aid to. I think if you cant afford to give your citizens basic human rights you should not see a penny of foreign aid from any country.
I don't think cutting HIV/AIDS response is really the humane reaction. But there are probably other forms of aid we could cut or redirect. We do have leverage here; albeit of a form it will probably take a democratic president to exercise.

Oct 28, 2017
Every fucking day there is something to embarrass me about my species. Every. Fucking. Day.

It's exhausting. It's frustrating. It's maddening.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely intrigued to find out if the hatred towards LGBT in African nations is at least in part spurred by "missionaries" essentially saying "This is how you go to Heaven, and by the way gay people are evil".
It certainly is; but homophobia is not uniform across the region. There are missionaries in Tanzania, Kenya, DRC, Rwanda, Burundi, Malawi, etc; and homophobia is bad in all of them, but I'm not really sure why things have gotten so much more violent and awful in Uganda specifically. The fact that it's English-speaking probably plays some role. The fact that other governments (definitely Rwanda's autocratic president) are smart enough to know how to please foreign donors, NGOs, etc. is another part. Paul Kagame absolutely would not let shit like this threaten foreign aid. I'm not sure to what extent Museveni's weakness may play into this. I'm no Uganda expert.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this one will fail like the last time they tried.

Museveni in 2014 signed Uganda's Anti-Homosexuality Act, which imposed a life sentence upon anyone found guilty of repeated same-sex sexual act. The law was known as the "Kill the Gays" bill because it once contained a death penalty provision.
The Obama administration after Museveni signed the law cut U.S. aid to Uganda and imposed a travel ban against officials who carried out human rights abuses. Uganda's Constitutional Court later struck down the Anti-Homosexuality Act on a technicality.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
It would be a dream come true for Mike Pence and other evangelicals if this could be enacted in the US.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not denying the impact of western imperialism but let's not pretend homophobia is a European invention and not something that came from Christianity itself.

Let's also not pretend that Evangelical groups aren't in the country planting seeds of hate.

Having said that, absolutely reprehensible, gut wrenching, and disgusting. Hopefully the law is struck down, but even if its not, any country where such a law is even feasible is likely already hell on Earth for its LGBTQ citizens.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Oh and to the people asking why people are talking about American Evangelicals.

The anti-LGBTQ sentiment that has boiled up to the tipping point in Uganda, Nigeria, the Gambia, and so many other African countries is not native to Africa. Rather, as I discuss in American Culture Warriors in Africa, it was born in the United States. U.S conservative culture warriors such as Rick Warren, Lou Engle, Scott Lively, Sharon Slater, and others have successfully capitalized on the widespread anger and mistrust of all things Western in African nations after decades of colonization by Western governments—infiltrating local communities to export their anti-LGBTQ and anti-sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) views in the name of religion. They have also defined Western LGBTQ people as straw men villains, who these U.S. conservatives are there to "warn" Africans about—feeding off of existing prejudices against anything Western while simultaneously neo-colonializing Africa's values with their own Western anti-human right prejudices.

Spreading imagined and fictitious stories of Western gays infiltrating African schools and recruiting and abusing African children into "gay lifestyles" has fruitfully turned many Africans to U.S. conservative causes. And providing local religious and political leaders with funding and connections has won these U.S. conservatives a powerful crop of talking heads and decision makers who are all too willing to further the homophobic and sexist policies to please their new benefactors.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Are white evangelicals still over there spreading their fucking hate gospel?

Are you suggesting that this is down to this evangelical hate gospel? I'm not sure I agree. I admit not knowing much on the subject but aren't evangelicals in, say, America too, and that country isn't making laws called kill the gays.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Hey what a shock. Uganda is majority Roman Catholic. Thank god Christianity was brought to these godless nations.
In my experience, the Catholics are the more liberal of the central/East Africans when it comes to LGBT people, in that they certainly think being gay is bad, but not necessarily that it should be illegal, and definitely not punishable by death. Evangelicals and Pentecostals are the ones taking a harder line.

Are you suggesting that this is down to this evangelical hate gospel? I'm not sure I agree. I admit not knowing much on the subject but aren't evangelicals in, say, America too, and that country isn't making laws called kill the gays.
I think it's definitely part of the explanation, but not the whole one. There are evangelical American-linked missionaries all over Africa. I don't personally have an explanation for why this is so much more virulent in Uganda as opposed to, for example, Tanzania. I doubt there are more American missionaries there per capita. It is possible there are more specifically anti-gay missionaries in Uganda, although I don't know why that would have happened. Maybe it was just an arbitrary thing that snowballed and reinforced itself.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, this frustrated me both in the sense it made me laugh, and then it was like "oh god, this is serious". I talked with my friend about this when this made the rounds way back then (2009 or so?), and he was even like "Straight people do this", so it always frustrated me they equate this solely to the gay community.

Either way, I think the topic in here covered a little bit about this, but there's a whole explanation regarding the whole reason the situation got a lot worse in African countries, notably Uganda.

This has a lot of information on the matter for the record:

John Oliver also covered this whole thing a bit, including interviewing a Trans-LGBT Activist living amongst these regions:

It contains similar information to what the above article covers, including some additional information I don't think it completely covers. Really think it's important information to understand why the situation got so bad.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I saw this.

I don't know if this is taking it off topic. But I've seen right wingers promote this story to promote the values and superiority of "The West" and "Western Society".
And pretty much as an excuse to do nothing for LGBT issues here because countries like Uganda are clearly significantly worse.

Many literally believe there's a gay agenda from dubious sources actively looking to poison our youth into becoming gay. When you approach it from that warped perspective, unfortunately it becomes a lot more than just "live and let be".

Snowflakes, they're called Snowflakes. They cannot possibly handle anything being different and lash out like they forgot they grew up already.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Hey what a shock. Uganda is majority Roman Catholic. Thank god Christianity was brought to these godless nations.
Do you realize that the Catholic Church does not approve of the legislation against homosexuality in Uganda? It was considered inhumane and open to human rights violations when it was brought forth in 2013 and proposed life-imprisonment. There was a concern in the Church then that it did not pass the bar for Christian charity and respect for the dignity of persons regardless of whether the Church endorses homosexual unions or not. Now the law being proposed is even worse - it calls for the death penalty. The Catholic Church does not endorse the death penalty in any way and is opposed to any such laws. The faithful are reminded of the dignity of human life and especially in the modern age where so many alternatives are available, there is no excuse to put a person to death.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
It's a mix of:

Under British colonial law, gay sex in Uganda is punishable with up to life imprisonment.

and

U.S conservative culture warriors such as Rick Warren, Lou Engle, Scott Lively, Sharon Slater, and others have successfully capitalized on the widespread anger and mistrust of all things Western in African nations after decades of colonization by Western governments—infiltrating local communities to export their anti-LGBTQ and anti-sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) views in the name of religion.

I don't think it's hard to understand.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Subtle.

I can't understand how this keeps happening in the year 2019. I can't muster the energy to care about what people do with their sex lives if they're not hurting anybody, I can't imagine how there's people who actively want to kill others over that. I just don't get it.

Uganda is full of nut jobs, and their extremely poor education system doesnt help

Ive seen a video of Ugandan gentleman explaining to a large, enraptured crowd that gays eat poop and fist each other in the butt all day.

They probably use /pol/ as a jumping off point for their law makers to create policy.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Do you realize that the Catholic Church does not approve of the legislation against homosexuality in Uganda? It was considered inhumane and open to human rights violations when it was brought forth in 2013 and proposed life-imprisonment. There was a concern in the Church then that it did not pass the bar for Christian charity and respect for the dignity of persons regardless of whether the Church endorses homosexual unions or not. Now the law being proposed is even worse - it calls for the death penalty. The Catholic Church does not endorse the death penalty in any way and is opposed to any such laws. The faithful are reminded of the dignity of human life and especially in the modern age where so many alternatives are available, there is no excuse to put a person to death.
Yeah and Trump "doesn't approve" of hate crimes.

They can both get fucked.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Goddamn that's horrifying.
Yeah and Trump "doesn't approve" of hate crimes.

They can both get fucked.
Look, I hate the Catholic church, but that poster is right that they would oppose this and any law that would put anyone to death as a legal consequence. They are one of the largest groups that campaigns against the death penalty, it's one of those issues they are extremely consistent on. They campaign and organize against the death penalty here in the US, they did so to get many European states to abolish the death penalty, they campaign against in in Central and South America, in Asia, etc.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, I hate the Catholic church, but that poster is right that they would oppose this
lmao fuck off

e: in case I get banned for dropping the F-bomb, I have absolutely no kindness in my soul for someone who stans for the catholic church's record on LGBT rights and mass murder. As a member of that community, I have decided to excersize my right to tell people who do to fuck off. Sometimes, nothing more needs to be said, and nothing less is worth saying.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Treated with equity? It wasn't treated any way at all, since almost no one knew about it.
I'm not saying Wakanda was treated correctly and grew into a metropolis through the munificence of like, Belgium or Great Britain, I'm not comparing anything about Wakanda except its prosperity and peace and lack of innate corruption. I'm saying that real countries were treated in ways that had negative outcomes in real life.