• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Uganda has announced plans to impose the death penalty on homosexuals.

The bill, colloquially known as "Kill the Gays" in Uganda, was nullified five years ago on a technicality, but the government said on Thursday it plans to resurrect it within weeks.
The government said the legislation would curb a rise in "unnatural sex" in the east African nation.

"Homosexuality is not natural to Ugandans, but there has been a massive recruitment by gay people in schools, and especially among the youth, where they are promoting the falsehood that people are born like that," the country's ethics and integrity minister, Simon Lokodo, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

"Our current penal law is limited. It only criminalises the act. We want it made clear that anyone who is even involved in promotion and recruitment has to be criminalised. Those that do grave acts will be given the death sentence."

Mr Lokodo said the bill, which has the support of the country's president, Yoweri Museveni, will be reintroduced in parliament in the coming weeks.

He said it was expected to be voted on before the end of the year.

Oct 30, 2017
I saw this.

I don't know if this is taking it off topic. But I've seen right wingers promote this story to promote the values and superiority of "The West" and "Western Society".
And pretty much as an excuse to do nothing for LGBT issues here because countries like Uganda are clearly significantly worse.

Subtle.

I can't understand how this keeps happening in the year 2019. I can't muster the energy to care about what people do with their sex lives if they're not hurting anybody, I can't imagine how there's people who actively want to kill others over that. I just don't get it.

Many literally believe there's a gay agenda from dubious sources actively looking to poison our youth into becoming gay. When you approach it from that warped perspective, unfortunately it becomes a lot more than just "live and let be".

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The bill, colloquially known as "Kill the Gays"

Subtle.

I can't understand how this keeps happening in the year 2019. I can't muster the energy to care about what people do with their sex lives if they're not hurting anybody, I can't imagine how there's people who actively want to kill others over that. I just don't get it.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Evangelicals before they realize Uganda is an African country:

D4bgCuDUwAExcoF.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This makes even less sense than I expected

Like if a person forced people to do a wrong things, shouldn't be that person to receive the worst penalty?

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this.

I don't know if this is taking it off topic. But I've seen right wingers promote this story to promote the values and superiority of "The West" and "Western Society".
And pretty much as an excuse to do nothing for LGBT issues here because countries like Uganda are clearly significantly worse.

With that said, it is worth appreciating how much has been done for gay rights and how far we've come as a society in the face of things like this. People sometimes like to make it look like we in the west (particularly America) live in the most racist, sexist, bigoted, and oppressive time ever, but I can only shake my head and ask, "compared to when? where?"

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a bill introduced by Evangelicals? I know they like to influence African nations with their BS

Oct 26, 2017
Saw this yesterday. Uganda has been one of the harshest countries when it comes to LGBTQ people. The fact that this isn't even the first attempt to pass a law like this speaks volumes.

This combined with Musevini's attempts to silence his political opposition in the upcoming elections shows a dangerous trend for where the country is headed.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
How long until someone post a video of trash tier Pastor Martin Ssempa?

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Whoever created or supports this law is misguided/evil and deserves to have all power/agency/etc. stripped from their life in response.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Wasn't Uganda where the "eat da poo poo" vid is from? No wonder then...(if you are wondering https://youtu.be/euXQbZDwV0w)

So Uganda battles Belarus for most dangerous places for gay people...

Last edited:

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Whoever created or supports this law is misguided/evil and deserves to have all power/agency/etc. stripped from their life in response.

They deserve more than that. If you're going to spend your life attempting to have innocent humans executed, by every objective measure you're the one who should die.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Africa is one of the most naturally diverse, environmentally capable and resource rich places on earth and has been plundered and ravaged nonstop for five hundred years and planted with seeds of internal and external corruption by virtually every country in the main body of Europe.

Africa is a perfect example of civilization looking down its nose at a man in a gutter having forgotten immediately that civilization itself just pushed the man off the sidewalk and into while he was minding his own business.

And not content with fucking over the continent itself, Europe and America stole its children and scattered them to the wind with a scarlet letter branded into their very being.

Wakanda is not so much a Sci fi utopia as it is ultimately a vision of what an African nation should look like unpillaged and treated with equity for five hundred years.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'm not denying the impact of western imperialism but let's not pretend homophobia is a European invention and not something that came from Christianity itself.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I saw this.

Many literally believe there's a gay agenda from dubious sources actively looking to poison our youth into becoming gay. When you approach it from that warped perspective, unfortunately it becomes a lot more than just "live and let be".
that's certainly a take considering that this probably would not be happening if Christianity were not forced upon them by the West.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Evangelicals before they realize Uganda is an African country:

D4bgCuDUwAExcoF.jpg

These evil shits were already on the ground preaching hate, and that contributed to laws like this.

One of the first to investigate links between American conservatives and the African anti-gay movement was Kipya Kaoma, a Zambian clergyman living in Boston. Homosexuality was illegal in Uganda under existing colonial laws, he explained, "But nobody was ever arrested or prosecuted based on those old laws. People turned a blind eye to it. Homosexuality was not a political issue."

That changed in 2009, Rev Kaoma said, when a group of American evangelicals led by Pastor Scott Lively, a self-proclaimed expert on the "gay movement", held a series of talks in Uganda. Mr Lively warned audiences that the "evil institution" of homosexuality sought to "prey upon" and recruit Ugandan children in a bid to "defeat the marriage-based society".

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
These evil shits were already on the ground preaching hate, and that contributed to laws like this.

I was about to say, this lies 100% on the evangelical's laps. There's been numerous articles including the one you listed of evangelical movements going to African countries strictly to promote homophobia. Its as if they can't get traction in the states anymore, so lets fly and spread hate elsewhere.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
The will to implement laws like this, in the face of all information to the contrary, really raises my bloodlust. The people in charge here are monsters. I hope people affected by this can find somewhere safe to flee to, and that we in more fortunate places can do something to help.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not denying the impact of western imperialism but let's not pretend homophobia is a European invention and not something that came from Christianity itself.
Exactly. Anti-homosexuals have been a "thing" for thousands of years. I don't think you can FULLY blame European influence. They're definitely a LARGE part of the blame, but anti-gay laws/ rhetoric has BEEN apart of the global game. Let's not act like Uganda and other nations around the world have no agency.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this.

The irony is that western missionaries pushing the homophobia they want to see at home are a large contributor to this type of thing.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I saw this.

But aren't evangelical Christians from the US going to countries like Uganda to promote these types hostile attitudes towards LGBT communities?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
The irony is that western missionaries pushing the homophobia they want to see at home are a large contributor to this type of thing.

Yup. It justifies their existence, shows that they are 'winning' the fight and ultimately is about people paying to help fund these expeditions (and lining pockets). Its the 'save poor African babies' except its their 'souls'.