• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
But Tesla *is* growing. Workforce cuts are not necessarily a sign of bad performance. Time will tell.

My observation on this is if you're truly growing then headcount does matter. You need to scale your teams up in order to meet the growth of a company. Increasing headcount by 30% and then dropping it 7% (for full time, no idea on part time) doesn't look ideal when you admit to needing to 'work harder to get more out'.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
My observation on this is if you're truly growing then headcount does matter. You need to scale your teams up in order to meet the growth of a company. Increasing headcount by 30% and then dropping it 7% (for full time, no idea on part time) doesn't look ideal when you admit to needing to 'work harder to get more out'.
They didn't prepare well for losing the subsidizes. Losing them is a huge deal.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people on this forum hate Elon so much they actively want Tesla to fail.

Do not act like the hate is unjustified. Calling a rescue worker a pedo, his stance against unions, and other things he's done in the past make the hate absolutely justified.

I want him to fail. I want electric cars to succeed. I'd rather a vain egomaniac not be the person in charge of the success when in reality the engineers and other workers are the ones doing all the work.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The title itself is already a clue. I can't find a thread about "Microsoft not doing so good" when they laid off thousands last year. Also, Elon Musk might be a POS but he's the main responsible for the increase in EV interest and in the general population with space exploration as well. And yes, I know he's not there all by himself designing, building and selling cars and rockets all alone, but these are his companies and his contribution to end the more than decade stall on space transportation innovation and creating EVs that don't look like shit is commendable and undeniable.
Some people on this forum hate Elon so much they actively want Tesla to fail.
I love Teslas and want one and I don't care about an older giant like Microsoft's standing so

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Then that's, to me, a sign of poor leadership. It's exactly been my problem with their marketing around models and reliance on tax credits to show "savings".
They're still a relative new company, especially in their space. They are babies. I don't see investors turning their back on them anytime soon.

But you're right about their leadership. Elon is spread too thin honestly.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
My take is that 2018 was a make or break year for them. They knew that if the plan of producing Model 3s at 5K/week failed, the company would probably collapse. So they went all in. Now with the production stabilized and (I suppose), systems and production processes getting leaner and more efficient, the cuts are necessary to improve margins. I don't think they'd lay off thousands and compromise their production output, especially now that they're releasing the Model 3 in Europe and right hand markets.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Could also be trying to temper the analysts earnings estimates. Its almost better to beat a low estimate, than to barely miss a high estimate.

But, car manufacturing is currently not doing well in general.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
They're a 10 year old company being run by someone who oversees another company (Space X) and ran other companies as CEO (X, Paypal). C'mon...
I'm comparing to other automakers--GM and Ford. It's a huge space, which ridiculous vested incumbents. Those companies also got way more help from federal and governments in getting the conventional automobile adopted.

The fact that Tesla has been able to do what they do, along with their vertical integration and forgoing the dealership system, is rather impressive.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this isn't some doom and gloom. Federal subsidies going away increased the price of the car which forced down demand. They are trying to lower the price while in parallel lower costs to maintain similar margins that can lead to positive net income. Timing of Q4 and likely results of Q1 will be impacted hy this as they restructure and rebalance the P&L.

Yesterday I received a cold call from a Tesla rep trying to sell me on a car. Seems like they're actively reaching out to people who cancelled their reservations. I had cancelled my Model 3 Performance several months back due to unresponsive Tesla reps and dubious delivery date pushes.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I'm sure the market downturn in Q4 didn't help them much. Are they getting hit by the trade war (imported parts/imported raw materials affecting domestically-built parts)?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
The fact that Tesla has been able to do what they do, along with their vertical integration and forgoing the dealership system, is rather impressive.
not just forgoing it, they're fighting against it. There's states where they literally cannot deliver cars to. I saw a guy on autoline after hours say he had to drive from MI to cleveland ohio to pickup his car.
They can't sell their cars in Texas, technically. For Texas delivery you have to pay in full before they can ship the car out of California.

I had cancelled my Model 3 Performance several months back due to unresponsive Tesla reps and dubious delivery date pushes.
that is something they need to get better at. I had a quote from them for solar panels, but i think the dude that came out got laid off or something. The quote he had sent me was through a hotlink, which expired when i was ready to install solar.

that said ive seen several people take delivery of performance model 3's in a matter of days.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Do not act like the hate is unjustified. Calling a rescue worker a pedo, his stance against unions, and other things he's done in the past make the hate absolutely justified.

I want him to fail. I want electric cars to succeed. I'd rather a vain egomaniac not be the person in charge of the success when in reality the engineers and other workers are the ones doing all the work.

I didn't act like anything, lol. Calm down.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Wasn't it already a terrible place to work? Now they're cutting the workforce by 7%.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
They're still a relative new company, especially in their space. They are babies. I don't see investors turning their back on them anytime soon.

But you're right about their leadership. Elon is spread too thin honestly.

This is not Elon's first trip around the 'running a company' bloc.

And if he is much as a micromanager has the stories say he is, this all rests on him not being prepared.

It's not like the government just springed the end date for the subsidies on Tesla at the lasr minute.

They knew their timetable for them for a long time.

Oct 27, 2017
But its stans assured us it would soon dominate the auto industry brushing the dinosaurs like Toyota, Volkswagen, GM, Ford, Nissan, Honda, Renault and Hyundai aside.
I don't think that was ever said, not to mention the auto industry lobbyists have made it so Tesla's can't even be sold directly to consumers in most states (because it would give them an unfair advantage against dealers)

It's not like the government just springed the end date for the subsidies on Tesla at the lasr minute.

They knew their timetable for them for a long time.
Yes Musk CLEARLY should have anticipated Trump being elected and accounted for his erratic behavior that surprises even his own staff

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that was ever said, not to mention the auto industry lobbyists have made it so Tesla's can't even be sold directly to consumers in most states (because it would give them an unfair advantage against dealers)

Yes Musk CLEARLY should have anticipated Trump being elected and accounted for his erratic behavior that surprises even his own staff
Here you go:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...ar-goes-to-tesla-model-3.89677/#post-16327100

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Probably the least surprising news in a while. More surprising was the the share price bumping almost up to $350 before this. Quoting myself from January 4th:

I suspect they will have a small Q4 profit, maybe in the dollar to dollar fifty range. But after that, they may well face a demand apocalypse as tax incentives dry up and they have to drop prices even more to move their inventory

The writing was on the wall. They likely didn't amortize their energy credits evenly, so Q3 looked artificially stronger than it was in reality. Musk was obsessed with short term profitability, because Tesla needs the stock price above $360 a share March 1st, 2019 as that would let them pay off some of their debt coming due in stock. That's also likely why he committed fraud and lied about having funding secured to go private. The easiest way to do this was to make one quarter look amazing, then dump money into China so all the underlying problems are more difficult for investors to sort out.

Tesla likely needs tariffs to disappear to feel less pressure. At any rate, it's looking increasingly like the stock price is not warranted because the growth just isn't there. Any growth will likely be from China, not the US.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Uh they still new the end date well in advanced. analysts, investors and etc have all been talking about the end of the subsidizes for ages.
solar credits were extended for another 2 or 3 years and added a much more gradual decline than the EV credit is. its entirely possible that the EV credits would have been extended.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
They missed the market prediction and the stock value dropped when that thread came around. Some people will tell you the market prediction doesn't matter. I imagine the market opinion/value do matter to the shareholders...just a guess.

To be fair though, Tesla funding lives and dies by the stock market. It's only the past quarter that they managed to have a profit because of the amount of junk bonds they have to service. And that's disregarding all of the stock dilution they had to do in the past.

I personally would challenge the assertion that the number of cars sold is the right metric for a company like Tesla. The real metric should be the amount of liabilities they have on their books.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They've always had an immensely tough sell. From the get go they had to be very different from their competitors while also jumping right into producing high-end luxury cars that compete with manufacturers who have been doing so for decades. I'd say they've been immensely successful given the circumstances.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The title itself is already a clue. I can't find a thread about "Microsoft not doing so good" when they laid off thousands last year. Also, Elon Musk might be a POS but he's the main responsible for the increase in EV interest and in the general population with space exploration as well. And yes, I know he's not there all by himself designing, building and selling cars and rockets all alone, but these are his companies and his contribution to end the more than decade stall on space transportation innovation and creating EVs that don't look like shit is commendable and undeniable.
While I do acknowledge Tesla role in increasing the interest of the general public towards EV, their survival is no longer important to EVs. Hyundai group and Volkswagen group are the ones now that are leading the accessibility of EV and not Tesla. VW will build a car that cost below 30k, and will go on longer range then the model 3 and they also look really cool. The Hyundai Kona EV is already doing impressive feat below 40k.

Oct 25, 2017
Uh they still new the end date well in advanced. analysts, investors and etc have all been talking about the end of the subsidizes for ages.

I can't be alone in thinking this is basic accounting right? You shouldn't base forecasts on something that is a decelerating perk, they knew the credits would be changing and running out.

It's reminding me of the Mets owner/old gm who purposely back loaded contracts because he expected the overall wealth of the team to rise because of his investments with Madoff.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sad how the thread about an Activision CEO getting millions in bonuses is a huge shit fest, Tesla laying off 7% of its workforce is somehow okay. Capitalism seems only bad when it fits peoples agenda.
They've always had an immensely tough sell. From the get go they had to be very different from their competitors while also jumping right into producing high-end luxury cars that compete with manufacturers who have been doing so for decades. I'd say they've been immensely successful given the circumstances.
High-end luxury ... yeah no. Not with that basic ass interior.

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
But its stans assured us it would soon dominate the auto industry brushing the dinosaurs like Toyota, Volkswagen, GM, Ford, Nissan, Honda, Renault and Hyundai aside.
Even if they fail it is amazing how he made electric cars viable.

That market looks here to stay regardless of who is making them.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
While I do acknowledge Tesla role in increasing the interest of the general public towards EV, their survival is no longer important to EVs. Hyundai group and Volkswagen group are the ones now that are leading the accessibility of EV and not Tesla. VW will build a car that cost below 30k, and will go on longer range then the model 3 and they also look really cool. The Hyundai Kona EV is already doing impressive feat below 40k.

Those cars don't have anything like a Supercharger network and they still charge at 59% speed of a Tesla.

Those cars are either 2 years away or in limited availability too.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I get that Musk is an asshole, but don't let that cloud your objectivity about the company as a whole.

It's not just that Musk is an asshole, his assholishness has been reported to affect the performance of the company and of its employees. They can't have it both Musk's drive for progress be a positive influence and his common outbursts, antagonistic management of people, negative public statements, and disregard for the life of his coworkers not be equally if not more of a negative influence. Tesla is perhaps the prime example of a company that dies more than lives by its leading man.

woodland

Oct 25, 2017
FYI for people, profit is a great headline number, but you want to look at cash flow more than anything - that gives you the beat figure to evaluate a firms value and ability's to pay off obligations.

Second, and I could be wrong as I don't follow Tesla specifically, but Tesla has a couple of issues, no? It has large amounts of debt and I think historically has had volatile cash flows, which is the opposite of what you want. Second, it's supposed to make large investments in China, but I don't believe it's forecast required CapEx for that yet? 3rd, I think it's had issues raising capital with the recent investigations and (as far as I know) it's still under criminal investigation after the SEC one settled correct?

I really like what Tesla's trying to do, but there have been and aren't legitimate worries. Even before this 7% number, it's had high turnover of managers and Musk was the Chairman and CEO, which is bad for any company and it's controls.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sad how the thread about an Activision CEO getting millions in bonuses is a hughe shit fest, Tesla laying off 7% of its workforce is somehow okay. Capitalism seems only bad when it fits peoples agenda.

High-end luxury ... yeah no. Not with that basic ass interior.

Well, whatever segment $80,000+ Mercedes and BMWs fall into.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Those cars don't have anything like a Supercharger network and they still charge at 59% speed of a Tesla.

Those cars are either 2 years away or in limited availability too.

False. You should look up VW investment in their own charging network. Unlike Tesla, they will also share their technology with other manufacturers like Ford. Which will benefit the state of EV vehicles more then Tesla supercharger network could ever do.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone but a blind loyalist would argue that Tesla's fit and finish is anywhere near a luxury brand. Your seats aside, it's not a controversial take that they are subpar for their price range.

There is also all the instances of bumpers and trims all falling off in the rain.

Like that's some luxury.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
They missed the market prediction and the stock value dropped when that thread came around. Some people will tell you the market prediction doesn't matter. I imagine the market opinion/value do matter to the shareholders...just a guess.

To be fair though, Tesla funding lives and dies by the stock market. It's only the past quarter that they managed to have a profit because of the amount of junk bonds they have to service. And that's disregarding all of the stock dilution they had to do in the past.

I personally would challenge the assertion that the number of cars sold is the right metric for a company like Tesla. The real metric should be the amount of liabilities they have on their books.
FYI for people, profit is a great headline number, but you want to look at cash flow more than anything - that gives you the beat figure to evaluate a firms value and ability's to pay off obligations.

Second, and I could be wrong as I don't follow Tesla specifically, but Tesla has a couple of issues, no? It has large amounts of debt and I think historically has had volatile cash flows, which is the opposite of what you want. Second, it's supposed to make large investments in China, but I don't believe it's forecast required CapEx for that yet? 3rd, I think it's had issues raising capital with the recent investigations and (as far as I know) it's still under criminal investigation after the SEC one settled correct?

I really like what Tesla's trying to do, but there have been and aren't legitimate worries. Even before this 7% number, it's had high turnover of managers and Musk was the Chairman and CEO, which is bad for any company and it's controls.

I think my post was eaten up by server issues earlier but I share similar sentiments. They spent years on R&D and they still have issues with Model 3 manufacturing. It's astounding.

A part of it was due to Elon's hubris in trying to get a fully automated plant. Or not being focused on the right things.

Edit: oh weird, there it is?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
False. You should look up VW investment in their own charging network. Unlike Tesla, they will also share their technology with other manufacturers like Ford. Which will benefit the state of EV vehicles more then Tesla supercharger network could ever do.

I know all about Electrify America. I'm in Canada but all the ones in upper New York State near the border are all under construction. I think they're a year or two away from coming close to Superchargers in overall amount but I'll certainly use them.

And the Kona only charges at 70kW tops, Tesla is still tops when it comes to speed.