• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Navy strike group deployed to send 'message' to Iran

D52FcCHXkAAbaHS.jpg

So... Uhhh... He might be trying to start a war by baiting the Iranians.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The US is trying to get a war whatever it takes.

If it's not there, is on South America

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
without a doubt....america doesnt have any credibility

i feel like for the sake of the world and the tremendous loss of life that could occur...someone needs to do something.

i'm not implying anything, except i am. this is a desperate time and our leaders have been enabled for too long

Last edited:

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Bolton's the biggest anti-Iran warhawk there is. This isn't even a question. We're through the looking glass now and it's going to be a catastrophe.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unless you start seeing a massive mobilization of troops in the region it sounds like hot air

Unless of course they are dumb enough to just drop a few bombs and call it a day... which given the administration...

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I would not fret about this. Carriers are routinely sent out to patrol in the middle east. I wouldn't call this a significant escalation.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I would not fret about this. Carriers are routinely sent out to patrol in the middle east. I wouldn't call this a significant escalation.
Normally yes. But the trifecta of Trump in the White House with Bolton's hard on for war with Iran whispering in his ear, Netanyahu and MBS makes this uncharted territory.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017

If anything, this is just Bolton running his mouth. Probably a routine mission that he's using to swing his dick around.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Meh. Nothing but a lot of bluff. You couldn't start and manage a war with just a single carrier. We would have been seeing massive mobilization of troops, aircrafts, ships, and resources needed in forward deployments.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Meh. Nothing but a lot of bluff. You couldn't start and manage a war with just a single carrier. We would have been seeing massive mobilization of troops, aircrafts, ships, and resources needed in forward deployments.

It's a carrier strike group. Carriers never go alone in the first place anyways.

But yea, there would be a lot more prominent signals of an actual imminent conflict than just sending out a strike group to basically stand in a place and look tough.

Oct 25, 2017
I've always feared that the Trump administration would provoke a war for 2020. Iran makes the most sense.

(caveat: this isn't to say we're on the brink)

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Normally yes. But the trifecta of Trump in the White House with Bolton's hard on for war with Iran whispering in his ear, Netanyahu and MBS makes this uncharted territory.
Yes and no? We've seen acts that would definitely gotten us into shit (Dropping a MOAB in 2017) but this seems like one step very small step towards many.

There hasn't been as much salemanship being pushed to go to war with Iran like there was with Iraq. Granted the Trump administration is doing everything it can to make sure Iran gets starved out (The recent threat about other countries buying Oil from Iran).

Oct 25, 2017
Cool dude. Couldnt win a war in two countries that were barely held together and another against angry rice farmers but against a country with an actual army and large presence in the region? Gonna go well. Awesome.

By the way you'll see the real fascism once we are ashamed from losing this war on top of millions protesting it in the first place on top of terrorist style attacks on American mainland.

I dont think they'll actually do it atm but the mythical conservative masturbation fantasy about war with Iran would be the end of American hegemony, or at least speed it up even faster

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now we only have 2 Carriers in the area so that is at least a good sign that while we are smacking the drum there is no momentum behind it.

John C Stennis and Lincoln are the 2 carriers in the area. 4 Carriers are currently in Drydock for maintenance while 1 is in the middle of its 4 year refill and refit. So there's only 5 others in full operation and then the Ford that is still in post shakedown status.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've had presidential elections in the middle of many (most?) of our wars.
War doesn't affect anything like that, and if this war does happen, it likely wouldn't even be declared as a war. The U.S. hasn't declared a war since 1942.
Yeah. Lincoln and FDR were both re-elected during wartime (actual, declared wars).
thumbsup.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Cool dude. Couldnt win a war in two countries that were barely held together and another against angry rice farmers but against a country with an actual army and large presence in the region? Gonna go well. Awesome.

By the way you'll see the real fascism once we are ashamed from losing this war on top of millions protesting it in the first place on top of terrorist style attacks on American mainland.

I dont think they'll actually do it atm but the mythical conservative masturbation fantasy about war with Iran would be the end of American hegemony, or at least speed it up even faster
A conventional standing army is what the American military was designed to fight, and in all likelihood a war with Iran would play out in a roughly equivalent manner to the first Gulf War. Fighting irregulars and insurgencies is what the American military machine has proven completely incapable of handling, and since Bolton will stop at nothing short of regime change if he gets his way, that's precisely the war America will ultimately wind up fighting.

Again.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like this carrier group entered the European theater as a show of force against Russia in early April and is expected to circumnavigate the globe so I wouldn't be surprised if this same sort of message pops up regarding North Korea before it finally reaches San Diego.

Oct 28, 2017
The neocons are still licking their wounds from Iraq. I don't know if I'm convinced that this is going to lead anywhere significant. Trump seems reasonably committed to neo-Jacksonianism (i.e. a whole lot of dick-waving).

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Right now we only have 2 Carriers in the area so that is at least a good sign that while we are smacking the drum there is no momentum behind it.

John C Stennis and Lincoln are the 2 carriers in the area. 4 Carriers are currently in Drydock for maintenance while 1 is in the middle of its 4 year refill and refit. So there's only 5 others in full operation and then the Ford that is still in post shakedown status.
Doing a cursory search shows that the Stennis Strike Group has been deployed for over 6 months now, and that letter says they are just now sending the Lincoln out so I assume the Lincoln will act as the relief to the Stennis. It'll take upwards of a month for the Lincoln to reach the patrol area where the Stennis is(depending on what port visits the Lincoln makes on it's way out there), so this seems pretty typical of Navy deployments. I know the language in that letter is scary but this is what the Navy does all the time

Drifters_

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bull market for another 10 years if we declare war. War is hell... but it's also profitable.

Riboflavin

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yawn.

Call me when the US is actually deploying the multiple armored divisions that you would be using to smash Iran's military.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
Iran would be a much bigger disaster than Iraq

though this is likely just mere dick waving

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
So the US is clearly warning Iran and Venezuela about taking this type of measures... Then people here wonder why many people are willing to accept China as the new world power instead of the USA. ( Even if they have to hide their heads underground once we start taking about human rights).

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the US is clearly warning Iran and Venezuela about taking this type of measures... Then people here wonder why many people are willing to accept China as the new world power instead of the USA. ( Even if they have to hide their heads underground once we start taking about human rights).
China does this same shit way more than the US. And we send "messages" back just as often.

War talk is baseless fear mongering.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is fairly standard dick waving. Disturbing but nothing out of the ordinary in these situations.

Now if there are mass troop mobilizations then we panic a little bit.

Bob_Coffee

Oct 25, 2017
part of me feels like this is putin/toddler in chief trying to pull a work, on the american public just in time for the Mueller testimony.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
They keep failing at baiting Iran because Iran sees right through them. Iran has kept a low profile despite sanctions being reestablished, the Iran nuclear deal shredded and oil importers threatened with sanctions. They know better and are just waiting these nuts out.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't seem like routine dick waving. I'm reading that this is a pre-emptive response to planned attack by Iran.

So....yeah. Trump wants a war.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
They keep failing at baiting Iran because Iran sees right through them. Iran has kept a low profile despite sanctions being reestablished, the Iran nuclear deal shredded and oil importers threatened with sanctions. They know better and are just waiting these nuts out.
I would think anyone sane at this point (i.e. Iran, china, Canada,. Mexico, et.) is just going to try and wait 2020 out, maybe spend a few hundred million trying to sway the election away from Trump.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
One day he'll die and it will be a beautiful day. He loves to start wars to kill brown people, all the other neocons retired, not Bolton. I genuinely think it isn't even a money thing for him like it is for the rest, he just loves watching brown people die, hell I'm certain he'd do it for free if they asked.

One of the most dangerous men on the planet, the minute he stops breathing the world will be instantly more stable.