Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I am just playing RDR2 here, enjoying my ride.

I am in the middle of the forest/swamp, and there is a single cabin there. There is an NPC sitting on a chair right there. Then, he calls me. I stop by, and he invites me to come inside his house. "I have food" he says. Obviously it is a trap, I think to myself. But I am curious to see what is all about.

And then... he knocked me out of consciouness. Everything gets black, he say some words, clearly implying he raped Arthur as he struggled to free himself. Black screen.

Then Arthur wakes up far from his cabin. "Oh my Lord..." he says showing difficulty as he starts to walk.

I am... not sure how I feel about this. I actually felt really violated and cant stop thinking about it. Not sure if this was handled well... I guess feeling disgusted about it means they kind of achieved their point but it begs the question: why? Was this whole thing really necessary? I know the game touches some very dark subjects but this was a little too much.

What is your stance on this?

PS: I went back to his house and killed him btw. He said "Not you again" and something along the lines of "I dont want you anymore".

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
WTF? How has no one pointed that out already? *To be clear I'm not shocked/offended, just didn't expect to hear that and never bothered to finish RDR2.

Last edited:

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
Never even saw that one. I'm not surprised it's there as rockstar has no problem pulling shit like that (Trevor raping the one guy). I think it's weird to include though. Honestly no reason.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Thank you for pointing this out! This shit made me drop the game. I wish I hadn't played the game now - that gave me some trauma flashbacks I rather would've not had.

Rockstar seems to love having rape scenes in their games - I was going to make a callout thread specifically about that.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the brother and sister who leave in in a hole a but from their house? Don't remember that part happening. Just that you were stripped of al you shit after being drugged. I got all my shit back and took care of them.

Incandenza

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen this as well. Can't remember where though. Felt it was in really poor taste.

IIRC you can also see a chain and handcuff next to the bed.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory Whataboutism and Thread Derailment
I mean the game also has murder

Jun 12, 2018
Hmm, I never saw this scenario before, that's crazy.

If you're arguing that it shouldn't be in the game, why shouldn't it? There's plenty of egregious stuff that happens in RDR2.

I specifically remember how upset I was when we had to save the dude who acted all sincere and pure, only for it to be revealed that he was a slave catcher and trader before the war.

The game is meant to invoke unnverving feelings in you from time to time.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One one hand it's pretty crazy how so many people but so much time into it and this didn't get a lot more attention sooner
On the other hand, what the fuck!

Nov 4, 2018
It sucks that it made you feel uncomfortable, but I don't believe games should be restricted in terms of what they use to convey things. That said, the use of dark elements like rape needs to be handled in an intelligent way and nothing should be freed from criticism.

If this rape scenario thing was created with the idea to tell players that "Not everyone is a good person" and to convey a dramatically dark atmosphere, I'd say the game employed this technique well.

If this rape scenario was the game being "Haha look at you! You just got raped!" and RDR2 didn't have a consistent theme of being offensive, then I'd say the game used the technique poorly and should be criticized for using it.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
The event that hit me the most was when you find a cabin with the family all dead at the dinner table because their stove pipe broke and they all died of smoke inhalation. This event and the serial killer didn't really bother me that much.

Oct 29, 2017
NL
User banned (4 days): thread-whining a sensitive thread + very recent warning for the same behaviour
This has been pointed out before and there is an OT.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
It sucks that it made you feel uncomfortable, but I don't believe games should be restricted in terms of what they use to convey things. That said, the use of dark elements like rape needs to be handled in an intelligent way and nothing should be freed from criticism.

If this rape scenario thing was created with the idea to tell players that "Not everyone is a good person" and to convey a dramatically dark atmosphere, I'd say the game employed this technique well.

You said it better than I can try to. Books, movies, and other mediums have tackled sensitive topics and while people dislike them, they have also accepted these things as part of a broader story being told. For some reason, anime and video games still cause a level of outrage and disgust when it comes to sensitive topics, even if they handle them well. I don't understand the line that separates these two from the others.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
A game written by GTA writers with a poorly written and overall terribly conceived rape scene?

It's disgusting, but I'm not surprised.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah I wasn't sure how to feel about this one either since the game does absolutely nothing with this.

There's definitely implied rape here, but no subsequent conversation when you get back, you just kill the dude and... that's it. I don't think Arthur says anything at all.

Also for some reason the dude kept spawning everytime I went back to the bayou, saying "not you again !" again and again.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I want to know is if the game has any warning about this beforehand (and I don't mean "immediately beforehand", just a general trigger warning at some point).

Because if it doesn't, that's especially fucked up.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory whataboutism and false equivalencies
So robbery, murder, and police genocide is fine but somehow this crosses the line?

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
"woah pop fucking quiz everyone there are GUNS and VIOLENCE in this game let me remind you how desensitized we are of death and murder thanks to media!!!!!!!!!!!!"

you could also, not post if you don't intend to actually discuss anything

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You said it better than I can try to. Books, movies, and other mediums have tackled sensitive topics and while people dislike them, they have also accepted these things as part of a broader story being told. For some reason, anime and video games still cause a level of outrage and disgust when it comes to sensitive topics, even if they handle them well. I don't understand the line that separates these two from the others.
this is not handled well, thats the line

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States

Chasm of the Abyss

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
UK
I'm sure all the murder survivors are reeling from all the murder in the game
This seems like a flawed argument.

You could have known someone who was murdered.

Or been assaulted seriously.

Creators can't get rid of anything that could upset some people when their creation is enjoyed by tens of millions.

It's an adult game with adult themes.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I want to know is if the game has any warning about this beforehand (and I don't mean "immediately beforehand", just a general trigger warning at some point).

Because if it doesn't, that's especially fucked up.

Lgb6QUx.png

OP
OP
Memento

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If this rape scenario was the game being "Haha look at you! You just got raped!" and RDR2 didn't have a consistent theme of being offensive, then I'd say the game used the technique poorly and should be criticized for using it.

I guess you are right. It did make me very uncomfortable and the message you suggests the game was promoting is indeed very interesting and could very well be what they were going for.

It is just that it is something unprecedent I think. We have seen rape being aproached in videogames, but there was never something this explicit and also happening with your own playable character.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand. Is poor taste because it happens at all or because it is written and/or acted out poorly? Doesn't seem like a topic that would be off limits in a game like that.