• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
She's gonna murder Corbyn in a debate .. she pretty much does it every fucking Wednesday.
While I agree that his position on brexit is bullshit, this simply isn't true at all.

All May ever does is smirk, talk about how clear she has been and then spout bullshit facts on what they have done while ignoring the questions posed to her.

For the most part, especially recently, Corbyn has been clearly the one with the better argument and may has had nothing to counter.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I think this debate is a win-win for May. It will either force Corbyn to take more clear positions on the most important topics and thus lose with one of the sides he tries to balance since the whole Brexit started or make Tories fear of elections and vote the deal. Anyway, the polarisation always helps bring the rebels in line.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Brexit is the one topic that May usually does well in.

Only when he doesn't concentrate with follow up questions etc, the withdrawal agreement was tough for him because he isn't a lawyer type able to read huge documents and digest it down to the basics. but this debate type deal is just as dangerous for the Maybot as Corbyn, and it's what he does well, especially if the public are involved.

I just think it will be a non event.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
and want a bit of revenge
That's why I cannot take some people seriously. International politics is never about revenge. It's all about present and future economical benefits. Using past grudges to inform your policies is a losing proposition. People good at international relations are above all pragmatists.
By the way, the term fiscal paradise is not used in English. That someone years ago made a blunder in the translation of tax haven mistaking haven (refuge) for heaven (paradise) and birthed "paraiso fiscal" is somewhat unfortunate.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
I look forward to this pantomime of a debate. Corbyn singing to an alternative deal that is up there with the Brexiteers unicorns and May talking up her shit sandwich.

They may as well cover each other in cow shit and see which one smells the best.

Why can't we just have a vote on mays deal or remaining.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I look forward to this pantomime of a debate. Corbyn singing to an alternative deal that is up there with the Brexiteers unicorns and May talking up her shit sandwich.

They may as well cover each other in cow shit and see which one smells the best.

Why can't we just have a vote on mays deal or remaining.

As much as I dislike Blair I thought what he said at the weekend was right, if there is a people's vote it needs to be worded very carefully and all parties need to agree it will not happen again for a generation...

So I think it needs multiple questions, with multiple second choices where a super majority needs to win.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
May will just repeat the same phrases the whole debate, I've been clear, we are leaving etc. to every question whether it's true or not, her whole letter the other day was like that. She knows the key words and phrases to say that register with the public and that seems to be enough even though they are hollow statements. Corbyn will point this out, May will say as I've said, let me be clear etc.

We are getting nowhere until parliament vote down her deal then we will see what happens next. Quite close to Christmas isn't it, Dec 14th.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
May will just repeat the same phrases the whole debate, I've been clear, we are leaving etc. to every question whether it's true or not, her whole letter the other day was like that. She knows the key words and phrases to say that register with the public and that seems to be enough even though they are hollow statements. Corbyn will point this out, May will say as I've said, let me be clear etc.

We are getting nowhere until parliament vote down her deal then we will see what happens next. Quite close to Christmas isn't it, Dec 14th.

That's how i see it going, the pair are not trusted by their own sides so i just can't see people caring about a "win".
It might be entertaining if you like angry Gammoners yelling about fish and whatever else makes them mad that month.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
That's how i see it going, the pair are not trusted by their own sides so i just can't see people caring about a "win".
It might be entertaining if you like angry Gammoners yelling about fish and whatever else makes them mad that month.

Always makes me laugh when Fishing is used as a stick....We will regain our fishing!!!!

No doubt people who work in the industry care, but it is a red herring (pun intended) it is a tiny industry some 14,000 workers...

A bank lay that amount off with a strike of a pen

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
That's why I cannot take some people seriously. International politics is never about revenge. It's all about present and future economical benefits. Using past grudges to inform your policies is a losing proposition. People good at international relations are above all pragmatists.
By the way, the term fiscal paradise is not used in English. That someone years ago made a blunder in the translation of tax haven mistaking haven (refuge) for heaven (paradise) and birthed "paraiso fiscal" is somewhat unfortunate.
In domestic politics, messages like these do of course answer to what the electorate wants to hear. And the electorate is fed up with Brexit and with Gibraltar. It's not a past grudge, it's an ongoing grudge.
I don't know if you think your correction is somehow an argument against my points, but in any case thanks for the info.
Personally, I think "paraíso fiscal" sounds nice and punchy, and gives it a moral ring that tax haven doesn't. It's also an expression used in other languages. On top of this, a quick Google search shows British media referencing this expression on the context of the Paradise Papers.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
In domestic politics, messages like these do of course answer to what the electorate wants to hear. And the electorate is fed up with Brexit and with Gibraltar. It's not a past grudge, it's an ongoing grudge.
I don't know if you think your correction is somehow an argument against my points, but in any case thanks for the info.
Personally, I think "paraíso fiscal" sounds nice and punchy, and gives it a moral ring that tax haven doesn't. It's also an expression used in other languages. On top of this, a quick Google search shows British media referencing this expression on the context of the Paradise Papers.
I still think mixing domestic politics in international affairs is a rookie mistake.
Regarding the correction, that's no argument against your points although I see how it could be interpreted as banter. It's just that false friends usage is a pet peeve of mine.
Paradise does suggest of some place like the one involved in the Panama Papers. Tax haven I feel evokes something akin to the Channel Islands. Maybe if you are a ski aficionado, paradise might be adequate for Andorra. :P

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Such a terrible decision.

Idiotic, really. Very upsetting. If the UK really leaves the EU, I'm gonna boycott that country for the rest of my life in any way possible.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Hope this deal gets trashed so there's a chance to remain or go into a SM/CU deal instead, I feel like this deal will pass after it gets rejected once though.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
https://www.politicshome.com/news/u...insists-result-second-brexit-referendum-would

Just grabbed a random link, no idea if this website is right or left leaning.

Thanks. I've always agreed with Tony Blair on Brexit, if he wasn't so tainted by the Iraq war he could have made a return to politics. If May's deal doesn't make it through Parliament then I can see a second vote with more defined outcomes.

Remain - Stay in the EU under the same terms.
Leave - Instant hard Brexit, bare minimum infrastructure in place for NI

The problem is time, we have less then 4 months before Art.50 expires, so we would have to ask the EU to extend Art.50 by 2/3 months whilst the peoples vote takes place. Obliviously before this takes place the EU will have to allow the door open on the same deal we had before (-Rebates) any more changes in our deal could be used the crowd.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks. I've always agreed with Tony Blair on Brexit, if he wasn't so tainted by the Iraq war he could have made a return to politics. If May's deal doesn't make it through Parliament then I can see a second vote with more defined outcomes.

Remain - Stay in the EU under the same terms.
Leave - Instant hard Brexit, bare minimum infrastructure in place for NI

The problem is time, we have less then 4 months before Art.50 expires, so we would have to ask the EU to extend Art.50 by 2/3 months whilst the peoples vote takes place. Obliviously before this takes place the EU will have to allow the door open on the same deal we had before (-Rebates) any more changes in our deal could be used the crowd.
I hadn't really considered that issue until a few days ago, but it would be a real problem getting a second referendum ready within the available time frame:
https://constitution-unit.com/2018/...t-take-to-hold-a-second-referendum-on-brexit/

We might have to ask for up to a year extension, which seems ...ambitious.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The EU would 100% accept an extension if a people's vote was announced.

Definitely think Remain or Hard Brexit as the ballot choice.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess you just have to hope everyone turns up, some people changed their mind, might even be both ways, who knows but if they make the choice after all this, that will be it.

The campaigns would be interesting, just the facts please. I would hope politicians actually know how the EU works and what benefits it has, what rules make life better etc. because even now you can see the hamster wheels moving in many faces when they try to get across good aspects.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Theresa May has to go first before such a thing can happen, she even though she wanted to remain is strangely obsessed with carrying this out. It's probably because she despises free movement of people ,ECHR and ECJ and it's been her dream for years to get rid of these.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I guess you just have to hope everyone turns up, some people changed their mind, might even be both ways, who knows but if they make the choice after all this, that will be it.

The campaigns would be interesting, just the facts please. I would hope politicians actually know how the EU works and what benefits it has, what rules make life better etc. because even now you can see the hamster wheels moving in many faces when they try to get across good aspects.

Should be no allowed campaigns other than advertising when the vote is, every house should receive a letter stating facts, the pros and cons of both. No lies no BS

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The EU would 100% accept an extension if a people's vote was announced.

Definitely think Remain or Hard Brexit as the ballot choice.

Hard, no deal Brexit absolutely should not be a choice. That's the suicide option that would be far worse than any deal May can agree with the EU.

I know there is a lot of people who want the UK to just walk away and trade on WTO rules, but it's not that simple and would cause a lot of damage.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Corbyn has fallen into a trap with this debate. He'd do better with a QT-style indirect debate. By debating May directly, he makes it easy for her to direct any question of her policy into an attack on Labour.

The debate has nothing to do with Brexit, since the deal will be defeated in parliament soon enough.
May just wants to defend against Corbyn's calls for a General Election and will just talk about "getting on with the job" of Brexit, while ridiculing Corbyn for having no policies and not being in a fit state to govern.
And since Corbyn literally has no Brexit policy, it will make May look like the grown up who is making tough decisions. Basically, the same arguments that Cameron used to get popular support for austerity (we have to take responsibility and make tough decisions, we're in it together, Labour are irresponsible fantasists with no solutions who don't accept reality and aren't fit to govern).

May will use typical right-wing political tactics of "never defend, always attack" and Corbyn will be stuck trying to explain what a "Jobs-first Brexit" means and how it is different from May's deal - while being hit by a million quotes from EU politicians about how no better deal is possible.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see the push now is to capitilise on peoples lack of will for the Brexit wagon to continue, with May now concentrating on pushing the rhetoric to the B.O.B's (bored of brexit) into accepting the agreement so that we can just get it over and done with.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Corbyn has fallen into a trap with this debate. He'd do better with a QT-style indirect debate. By debating May directly, he makes it easy for her to direct any question of her policy into an attack on Labour.

The debate has nothing to do with Brexit, since the deal will be defeated in parliament soon enough.
May just wants to defend against Corbyn's calls for a General Election and will just talk about "getting on with the job" of Brexit, while ridiculing Corbyn for having no policies and not being in a fit state to govern.
And since Corbyn literally has no Brexit policy, it will make May look like the grown up who is making tough decisions. Basically, the same arguments that Cameron used to get popular support for austerity (we have to take responsibility and make tough decisions, we're in it together, Labour are irresponsible fantasists with no solutions who don't accept reality and aren't fit to govern).

May will use typical right-wing political tactics of "never defend, always attack" and Corbyn will be stuck trying to explain what a "Jobs-first Brexit" means and how it is different from May's deal - while being hit by a million quotes from EU politicians about how no better deal is possible.

Kia Starmer was on radio 5 this morning, when challenged about the EU saying this is it, his response was 'they would say that' and he expects if a Labour Gov went to them they would renegotiate

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I see the push now is to capitilise on peoples lack of will for the Brexit wagon to continue, with May now concentrating on pushing the rhetoric to the B.O.B's (bored of brexit) into accepting the agreement so that we can just get it over and done with.

I don't think it's going to work unless she involves the people in making the decision.
It's not going to go away for politicians for many years to come.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think it's going to work unless she involves the people in making the decision.

I wouldn't be too hopeful of that, the British public have a tendency to get weary quickly, Brexit fatigue kicked in months ago, I am sure there is a heck of a lot of people who just want it over and done with, regardless of the outcome.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Kia Starmer was on radio 5 this morning, when challenged about the EU saying this is it, his response was 'they would say that' and he expects if a Labour Gov went to them they would renegotiate

To be honest if Labour gained power and approached it with alternative red lines, the EU does have a small window where it probably would renegotiate a bit. But Labour would have to gain power very quickly for that to be viable.

The issue is other than a fantasy CU I don't think Labour really has red lines which are that different from May's (and lets be honest May's direction of travel is firmly in the direction of a CU)

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

I dunno I can see this backfiring on May, she isn't the most adriot campaigner. Brexit has always been about feels over reals. Trying to appear like the grown up might be bad.

Corbyn might be vague on details about what he'd do but so what. People have been vague on Brexit details for the past two and a half years and it doesn't seem the public has punished them for it. In a nonsense scenario like Brexit it's easier to be the idealist than the pragmatist.

I think she's trying to pin Corbyn down on his alternative because it gives her a tangible "enemy" to use as a common threat for her rebellious Tories and the DUP, so she can get her deal through Parliament.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I dunno I can see this backfiring on May, she isn't the most adriot campaigner. Brexit has always been about feels over reals. Trying to appear like the grown up might be bad.

Corbyn might be vague on details about what he'd do but so what. People have been vague on Brexit details for the past two and a half years and it doesn't seem the public has punished them for it. In a nonsense scenario like Brexit it's easier to be the idealist than the pragmatist.
That's my thinking too.

It'll essentially be May trying to explain and convince that this widely unpopular deal is the best deal possible for reasons, with Corbyn saying no we can do better than that, and most people probably won't follow the detail either way.

I'd assume it wouldn't be like PMQs either, where May gets the last word/zinger every time.

Last edited:

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
This whole process is infuriating to me. May has handled Brexit terribly and has left the U.K. dangerously exposed, we are backed into a corner with a gun against our head. How we can sign a deal in that situation?

Listening to May just on the radio regurgitating the same old shit, no one wants it May. You tried and failed no shame in bowing out and let the Country decide now.

Absolute maximum they're likely to give is 54 (check my maths) days, to avoid the MEP elections on 23rd May.

They can hold the elections and leave an empty seat if the U.K were to return.

I hadn't really considered that issue until a few days ago, but it would be a real problem getting a second referendum ready within the available time frame:
https://constitution-unit.com/2018/...t-take-to-hold-a-second-referendum-on-brexit/

We might have to ask for up to a year extension, which seems ...ambitious.

Hypothetically, if May's deal collapses and we were faced with crashing out or holding a second referendum then I could see it been forced through quickly both within our parliament and the EU. We would still run over the deadline but it's possible for it to be done within 4 months.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Is it me, or is May trying to pass the buck now by continuously saying "It's what the people voted for"?

As in slowly trying to distance herself (I know she said she was for Remain).

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
The whole process with May has been a shit show, she first thought she could act tough and the EU would bow to her every need, then when it was clear that wasn't going to work call a GE and try and get labour in power to take the fall for Brexit.

The whole thing defies logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.