• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My room has been reaching 32c lately and it has been making me feel so ill, plus I suffer with clinical depression and honestly my mental health always suffers during summer so I finally forked over the £300 and bought myself a portable air conditioning unit and my god, it's heaven! I'm currently sitting in my ice cold bedroom freezing my ass off, I should lower the cooling but I'm just sadistically enjoying the cold for a little while first.

I can't stress how much better a proper AC unit is vs an air cooler, or a traditional fan, even those with compartments for water and ice, this is just on another level and worth every penny. I am so excited for night time so I can maybe get a good nights sleep, which hasn't been possible for so long.

284jeNMl.jpg

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wait is AC not a normal thing in the UK?
No, it's very rarely warm enough to warrant the need for AC.

We're in the middle of an usual heat wave, which is tame compared to other places for sure.

We usually have 2 weeks of heat a year. Normal annual climate is mild with overcast cloud with frequent rain.

Well done OP!

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've been fine just opening a window and dressing lighter. That does seem kinda nice but not £300 nice, though

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
gonna be 90 to 100 degrees all next week where I live and I don't have any AC in my apartment...RIP me i guess

congrats on the AC, OP lol

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice AC unit however I don't think it's worth the investment as we only get a few weeks of proper summer in the U.K. lol. Also, I thought depression would calm down in summer as the sun helps lift the mood. It does for me.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
According to Google London where I live has an average high of 21 degrees Celsius in summer.

30 degrees C is abnormal. The peak of heat is usually mid 20s for a few weeks at the height of summer.

Like everyday heat in US about 75

Jesus. That sounds nice.

It's supposed to be 103 or something here today with a heat index of like 734.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Oh wow I didn't know that. What the average high in the summer?

Summer usually averages in the high-10s low-20s , but every year (and for the past few years especially thanks to global warming) we have at least a few weeks of upper-20s and lower-30s. The bigger issue, though, is that due to a mixture of both unprepared infrastructure, houses built to keep in heat, a lack of air conditioning and the fact that we're an island means that what would be tolerable in other countries becomes a humid hell here.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Wait is AC not a normal thing in the UK?

More like "most of Europe" in residential buildings.

Congrats, OP, with temps here in the mid to high thirties the last few weeks -with a few dips into low tens or single digits in between to really mess with your body- I know how it is when you want to sleep but can't because of the heat.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Chilling at home early because no one is having coffee in this heat, with my little Arctic Air keeping me and everything within a 15cm range nice a cool. Maaaybe time for an upgrade.

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
I can't stress how much better a proper AC unit is vs an air cooler, or a traditional fan, even those with compartments for water and ice, this is just on another level and worth every penny. I am so excited for night time so I can maybe get a good nights sleep, which hasn't been possible for so long.

Yup, swamp coolers aren't very effective in humid environments (like the UK). I grew up in the hottest, driest part of the states and swamp coolers still struggled to keep rooms comfortably cold (despite the fact that conditions were ideal for swamp coolers).

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Plum

May 31, 2018
Nice AC unit however I don't think it's worth the investment as we only get a few weeks of proper summer in the U.K. lol. Also, I thought depression would calm down in summer as the sun helps lift the mood. It does for me.

To me I feel a lot worse in the Summer than I do in the Winter. The heat just drains me of any energy and the need to wear t-shirts and shorts only worsens my already-poor self confidence and body image. Then there's the fact that most Summer activities are highly communal and, as such, aren't really possible for those with smaller/no friend groups. I don't have anything clinically diagnosed nor will I pretend to speak for anyone with a mental illness but I can 100% empathise with why the Summer wouldn't be an enjoyable time for some people.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The thing with the UK is, is that we are no acclimatised to any form of heat.

You may think our temperatures are pathetic, but we are very much more used the generic grey misery weather.

It's very similar to how we deal with snow:

WE DON'T

We can't handle either end of the weather spectrum, as we mostly sit comfortable in the mediocre range for 90% of the year, and it's all we talk about.
Literally, ever single British resident will usually ease their way into conversations by talking about the weather, even though it's mostly boring.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand not having AC in the UK, but southern Europe countries like Italy, it blows!

Everytime I visit my family in the south of Italy I feel like I'm gonna melt with constant 90f+ and 90% humidity. I don't know how they survive in the summer.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You may think our temperatures are pathetic, but we are very much more used the generic grey misery weather.

WE DON'T

We can't handle either end of the weather spectrum, as we mostly sit comfortable in the mediocre range for 90% of the year, and it's all we talk about.
Literally, ever single British resident will usually ease their way into conversations by talking about the weather, even though it's mostly boring.
Being Jamaican and living in UK am still weirded out I see pale dudes walk around topless as soon as it hits 20c

Plum

May 31, 2018

WE DON'T

This phenomena is most exemplified my our train service:

Hot Weather? The tracks are melting.
Cold Weather? The tracks have frozen/been snowed over

Though the analogy would work better if those were the only times the trains weren't fucked but in this country you can't go a week without some issue with the service.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
AC units are fantastic, but just bare in mind your electricity bill is likely going to be a lot higher this month because of its use. I usually switch between a mix of AC and ordinary room ceiling light fans.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me I feel a lot worse in the Summer than I do in the Winter. The heat just drains me of any energy and the need to wear t-shirts and shorts only worsens my already-poor self confidence and body image. Then there's the fact that most Summer activities are highly communal and, as such, aren't really possible for those with smaller/no friend groups. I don't have anything clinically diagnosed nor will I pretend to speak for anyone with a mental illness but I can 100% empathise with why the Summer wouldn't be an enjoyable time for some people.

Ah that sounds more logical now. Sorry you feel that way. I felt like that during Ramadan this year and it was worse because I couldn't eat, drink and sleep properly. Try to keep hydrated throughout the day and maybe do a little excercise to de-stress.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be 110F/41C in Arizona today. Using the air conditioner all day is tantamount to going bankrupt, so it's running at 85F/28ishC

This is my life now.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's very rarely warm enough to warrant the need for AC.

We're in the middle of an usual heat wave, which is tame compared to other places for sure.

We usually have 2 weeks of heat a year. Normal annual climate is mild with overcast cloud with frequent rain.

Well done OP!

honestly I don't know why we don't have one - although bedroom or living room? Even just for the couple of weeks when it gets hot and sticky, it'd have been worth it over the last ten years..

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Being Jamaican and living in UK am still weirded out I see pale dudes walk around topless as soon as it hits 20c
I believe we have such a low exposure to the sun (and therefore less Vitamin D) evolutionary instinct takes over and we must tear our clothes off at the first hint of warmth.

This phenomena is most exemplified my our train service:

Hot Weather? The tracks are melting.
Cold Weather? The tracks have frozen/been snowed over

Though the analogy would work better if those were the only times the trains weren't fucked but in this country you can't go a week without some issue with the service.
That's the one!

I also believe there is a unspoken understanding that the heat and snow aren't actually responsible for mechanical errors, and that the British mindset will cling to any excuse in order to not go to work sometimes.

Oh! Snow! Better drive to work for 15 minutes, then ring in and say 'Eeeh it's bloody treacherous out there;' the dominoes of folk feigning travel issues escalates until schools close and public transport stalls to a halt.

But that's just my facetious interpretation.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Ah that sounds more logical now. Sorry you feel that way. I felt like that during Ramadan this year and it was worse because I couldn't eat, drink and sleep properly. Try to keep hydrated throughout the day and maybe do a little excercise to de-stress.

Yeah, I can imagine that would suck, especially the drinking situation. Keeping hydrated is really one of the best things to do during a heatwave... though I was foolish and didn't realise that the caffeinated diet coke I'd been drinking does not, in fact, help that much with hydration.

Perhaps the most frustrating thing about the weather outside of general discomfort is not being able to take my dogs on walks due to the extremely hot pavements/sidewalks (which are mostly dark grey around me so keep the heat in) and things just being too hot for them in general. I've had to stick to walking at night/the evning and even then the days are so long that it would still be unhealthy for them to walk around.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I always find it amusing what our friends in the UK find hot. :P

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
honestly I don't know why we don't have one - although bedroom or living room? Even just for the couple of weeks when it gets hot and sticky, it'd have been worth it over the last ten years..
Historical providence I suppose. I would imagine that many folk think 'gee I'll invest in AC next time' and then immediately forget after living through the next X months of dreary uninteresting weather.

Thank the gods I have some light kangas to sleep under, the bed sheets are abhorrent to me.

I always find it amusing what our friends in the UK find hot. :P

Appreciate the context!

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It's going to be 110F/41C in Arizona today. Using the air conditioner all day is tantamount to going bankrupt, so it's running at 85F/28ishC

This is my life now.
We've been having another mild summer here in San Diego, but next weekend it's supposed to finally get around 100F.

Thankfully we're solar now so running the AC is free. lol