Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft has topped the UK charts once again with Tom Clancy's The Division 2.

However, the game doesn't come close to matching the launch sales of the original The Division. Indeed, The Division 2's launch week sales are only 20 per cent of what its predecessor managed in the UK.

Of course there's the usual caveat here that this only includes physical retail sales. The Division is an online game, and it's quite easy to expect that the title's audience has become increasingly digital-focused since the original launched in 2016 (indeed, a bit like what happened between Destiny and Destiny 2, where the sequel had a far stronger digital share than its predecessor). Nevertheless, without concrete market figures, for now all we can conclude is that it's not been an especially strong start for the game.

Of course, there's plenty of time for that to change. The early buzz is that The Division 2 is a decent game, and good word-of-mouth can quickly change things for games looking to build a strong online audience.

60 per cent of The Division 2's sales came on PS4, with the remainder coming on Xbox One.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-18-uk-charts-slow-start-for-the-division-2

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's rough start compared to first game. Digital is big but not big enough to fill those 80% that are missing.

JorRaptor

Feb 19, 2018
I think the most interesting comparison would be versus Anthem, as both titles only had physical in UK.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rough start. Definitely didn't seem to be as big a deal as the first from what I've seen in my little bit of this country.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Incoming messsge of Division 2 outselling the first game because UK retail charts have proven to be utterly useless to help judge a game's success over and over again.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
If it's truly off to a slow start (hard to say based off of physical sales alone), I hope it picks up. This is the best implementation of the GaaS "shlooter" genre yet.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
20 % ? This seems unusually low.

I don't see a franchise like The Division underperform, the first one was one of the success stories of this gen.
I hope we get an update from Ubi very soon.

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
To be fair, I'm in the UK and didn't even realise it was out. It's not my sort of game though, so I just assume I didn't notice it.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think people seriously overestimate how many digital games are sold in the UK. We have pretty poor Internet connections and most people aren't willing to wait a day or two to download 50+GB of game.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Called it. There was no chance whatsoever that TD 2 would sell anywhere close to the first one.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
there's only so many full priced online games the market can handle........

to all that attempts to release one...make your first one the good one.....at launch. preferably towards the start of a new gen.

If i'm Ubi. i would've delay division 2 till nextgen.

the beginning of every generation is when the gamers are most thirsty and will buy almost anything. that will garner you some suckers' gamers' dollar easily.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I think people seriously overestimate how many digital games are sold in the UK. We have pretty poor Internet connections and most people aren't willing to wait a day or two to download 50+GB of game.

I don't think so personally. Digital is a big chunk. Nobody is buying Fortnite or Apex Legends at retail for instance and they are two of the top played games right now.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Maybe people are finally getting smart about games as a service.

Perhaps throwing $80-$150 at a game and having it still lack content, contain poor narrative structure, disfunctional connectivity, and mediocre gameplay design has finally gone too far.

Hah, who am I kidding, people are gonna throw as much money as they can at these games.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so personally. Digital is a big chunk. Nobody is buying Fortnite or Apex Legends at retail for instance and they are two of the top played games right now.

UK.
Digital-only, free games.

What's even the point of this comparison?

Compare it to Anthem, Destiny, or whatever AAA retail game happened currently/recently.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Division 2 is a online/gaas game - physical week 1 probably isnt the way to go for these kind of games.

Then again - the audience might also start to feel some kind of fatigue with all these GAAS games people are supposed to play, there is a limit to how many of them people want to get invested in. Not saying its the case with The Division 2 - but in general people need to keep their expectations in checks.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Weird, not like the UK has anything to worry about with its economy right now.

I do have to wonder: if Article 50 winds up revoked, will game sales spike?

We've had this for the past 2+ years, it's not an excuse for poor sales as we've had games that have surpassed previous entries too.

Part of the reason The Division 2 hasn't sold as well is due to poor marketing in the UK, I haven't kept tabs on the rest of the world for this though to compare. We'll have to see if good WoM and it being a GAAS will help the game have legs.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I think we need to stop using UK as point of any comparison. We basically entertain ourselves with Brexit news these days.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about UK specifically, but it might be good to remind that The Division was the best launch ever seen for a new IP (except in the US where it was Destiny I believe). Needless to say the bar was too high in any case.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
We've had this for the past 2+ years, it's not an excuse for poor sales as we've had games that have surpassed previous entries too.

Part of the reason The Division 2 hasn't sold as well is due to poor marketing in the UK, I haven't kept tabs on the rest of the world for this though to compare. We'll have to see if good WoM and it being a GAAS will help the game have legs.
Yeah but I think "Brexit will happen 2 years from now" is different from "Brexit will happen two weeks from now"

Also I dunno that marketing for Division 2 was that bad - I saw a lot of billboards and shit for it.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Remeber when we were told that Pal charts would also have digital sales in 2019? Good times.

Deleted member 50761

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I've seen no advertisements for this game at all, I was in "Game" at weekend and they weren't even pushing it there, had no idea the game had come out.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
These games are very heavily digital, based on Destiny 2 having something like a 40-50% split, but even with that it's probably down a lot. I know there was definitely nowhere near as much interest in my circles, but none of us liked Division 1 much so not surprising and Looter Shooters are pretty much wait for a deep sale tier for me now.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Because they say people are adverse to downloading due to connections. These games would not be popular if that was the case.
They dont have any other option for these game - you have to download Apex even if you usually prefer physical games.
Or will make a exception for the big ones like Fortnite or Apex - but likely not going to download other big size f2p titles.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe people are finally getting smart about games as a service.

Perhaps throwing $80-$150 at a game and having it still lack content, contain poor narrative structure, disfunctional connectivity, and mediocre gameplay design has finally gone too far.

Hah, who am I kidding, people are gonna throw as much money as they can at these games.
Dude the game has like 50 hours of great content from the start. Even if it fails as GAAS and they stop updating it today, it's still an amazing value unlike Anthem.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because they say people are adverse to downloading due to connections. These games would not be popular if that was the case.

They don't need to be popular in every single country. Poster was talking about the UK, how many times now did a game perform meh there and still did great numbers worldwide? Rhetorical question.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that matters in this case. It's not like the game, on the disc, prevents a massive download. Anyone buying the game is looking at a massive download before they can play anyway. For anyone who doesn't want to wait through a huge download to play the game, it's entirely likely that the downloadable version resulted in the shortest wait (since that could be pre-loaded and played at midnight on the 15th).

(This of course doesn't mean that there's been a switch to downloads in large enough numbers to make up the difference in sales - just that physical buyers really aren't getting the kind of convenience that you think.)

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah but I think "Brexit will happen 2 years from now" is different from "Brexit will happen two weeks from now"

Also I dunno that marketing for Division 2 was that bad - I saw a lot of billboards and shit for it.

We've had games this year that have beat or equalled previous entries.

I've seen differently, the game has been lacking in the TV advertisement department, social media presence has been lower compared to the first game. Marketing is still high, just not as much as the first game I guess is what I'm trying to say.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
so how many units did Division 2 sell then? do we have Divison 1 figures?
This should be the comparable numbers.
UK looter shooter physical debuts:

Borderlands 2 ~190k
Destiny 417k
The Division 277k
Destiny 2 175k
Anthem ~42k

Anthem would need a monster digital share to even be an okay launch. Kingdom Hearts 3's physical launch was 59% bigger than this, KH3!

So ~55k for Division 2.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Console Digital pricing is dogshit compared to what you can find physical here (up to £20 more depending where you shop), so being F2P is a massive factor in Fortnite and Apex's success.
The UK isn't bad when it comes to unlimited Internet so downloading isn't a massive problem, just an annoying wait for some, but pre-loading gets around that.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It was unlikely D2 would reach particular close to the first at retail considering how big the first one was and the growth in digital sales. Still the digital ratio would need to much higher than we've seen before to reach that launch so it's most likely still sold a fair bit less with digital included which Ubisoft seems to be expecting.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019

It's not that bad, the national average broadband speed in the UK was reported to be 18.57Mbps and that translates to just under 6 hours for downloading a 50GB game..

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
They dont have any other option for these game - you have to download Apex even if you usually prefer physical games.
Or will make a exception for the big ones like Fortnite or Apex - but likely not going to download other big size f2p titles.

The only point I was making was in response to someone saying digital is a significant barrier. If that was the case two of the top played games on console would not be digital only games.

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
277k, big drop even assuming 50% digital share.
It was unlikely D2 would reach particular close to the first at retail considering how big the first one was and the growth in digital sales. Still the digital ratio would need to much higher than we've seen before to reach that launch so it's most likely still sold a fair bit less with digital included which Ubisoft seems to be expecting.

Yeah, and I'd assume 50% to be generous considering the cheeky fucks want £60 for the standard edition. That's a £20 premium to the physical.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I honestly think digital sales vary heavily on a title by title basis and therefore it is too soon to read anything into one week of UK physical sales.....