Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Having dominated the charts for the past two summer, Activision is aiming for a hat trick with the chart-topping debut of Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled.
The revamped racing game launched at No.1, and enjoyed the second highest week one sales in the history of the franchise (the record-holder, of course, is the N Sane Trilogy).

It's actually the third best launch of the year so far, behind Sony's Days Gone and another remake, Resident Evil 2. It outsold the next biggest game of the week, FIFA 19, by almost eight times as many copies.

Crash Team Racing also far outsold rival title Sonic Team Racing, with more than four times as many copies sold in week one. Interestingly, the audiences differed somewhat -- 66% of Crash buyers are on PS4, while only 40% of Sonic's customers were on Sony's console. However, Switch made up 39% of Sonic Team Racing's launch sales, but only 16% of Crash's.

Activision's racer was one of only two releases that made it into the Top 40 this week, with Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night debuting at No.17.
Most titles saw a drop in sales week-on-week, ranging from as little as 16% for Mario Kart to as high as 64% for Days Gone. The only game that saw a lift in sales was Tom Clancy's The Division 2, up 15% this week.

Last edited:

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expect a 66% split for CTR on PS4. Not bad.

So, it's:
66% PS4
18% XBox One
16% Switch

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Sounds like strong sales, what with it being 8x over the next sku, and 4x over Sonic Team Racing. Does anyone have numbers to get a range of units sold for this?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No surprises, a Crash remake was always gonna sell gangbusters over there. Still, deserved success, game's really fun and well made all around. Forza Horizon 4 being this high up after so long and despite being in Game Pass is quite the success story too, Playground really outdid themselves this time.

Orbulon

Nov 1, 2017
France
Good - if expected - for CTR, it's UK after all !
Meanwhile, I will never not be amazed at Mario Kart 8's legs, good times for kart racers !

FFObsessed

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hang in there Days Gone. With everyone expecting you to sell 10-15 million copies worldwide, you've got work to do. 🤡

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Very nice - congrats to Activision for another successful classic remake.
Crash, Spyro and Crash Team Racing.
They are 3/3 right now.
Didn't expect a 66% split for CTR on PS4. Not bad.

So, it's:
66% PS4
18% XBox One
16% Switch

Why not ? PS4 has the by far biggest install base, Sony had the exclusive marketing-deal, Crash is THE PS mascot and there is a lack of quality fun racers of that plattform.

So week 1 being much higher on PS4 isnt suprising - how the plattform split evolves over time will be more interesting, but for week 1 PS4 was always going to have a large lead.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
LOL I knew the Xbox One SKU would outsell the Switch SKU. You would have thought the kart raceing audience would be on the Switch which MK8D and the 39% share for Sonic Team Racing show but then CTR releases and the UK is like nope j/k. Never change UK :p

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
After the "surprise" success of N-Sane Trilogy and now this, I really don't see how Activision decides not to make new Crash games, but I'm sure they'll find a way to disappoint.

If they were smart they would have put a game called Crash 4 into immediate production in 2017 for a summer 2020 release. That's the exact sort of all-ages franchise we should be seeing now, as the current consoles get cheaper and start to target a younger/wider audience.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Crash PlayStation brand association skrong af. Wonder what Activision will do next with Crash and Spyro.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Ps4 split a bit higher than I expected. I would have thought somewhere in the 50% area. Very suprised the xbox version outsold the switch version though.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
After the "surprise" success of N-Sane Trilogy and now this, I really don't see how Activision decides not to make new Crash games, but I'm sure they'll find a way to disappoint.

If they were smart they would have put a game called Crash 4 into immediate production in 2017 for a summer 2020 release. That's the exact sort of all-ages franchise we should be seeing now, as the current consoles get cheaper and start to target a younger/wider audience.
What do you assume VV has been working on these past few years?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Crash is a strange IP. The XB1 sku has now outsold the Switch sku in the first week for both a 2D platformer and a Kart racer lol (UK only, until we learn more, of course)

Last edited:

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Nice boost for FH4 from Lego it would seem, which is impressive give that FH4 is on GP.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Isn't Crash long associated with the PS brand though??
Partly this, but remember the Crash trilogy was exclusive to PS4 for a year and sold like hot-cakes at that time. So PS4 will already have established itself as the destination for Crash fans, and created many new Crash fans there too.

Similar reason to why Mass Effect 2 sold poorly on PS3.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure in the resolution thread we were told that there was absolutely no chance people would buy a kart game at 30fps.

Now I don't know who to believe...

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Why would Switch players buy a 480p/720p 30fps kart game when they can buy a better and more enjoyable 720p/1080p 60fps kart game featuring Mario ?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Partly this, but remember the Crash trilogy was exclusive to PS4 for a year and sold like hot-cakes at that time. So PS4 will already have established itself as the destination for Crash fans.
That's a good point, too. Several reasons why PS4 dominated CTR sales (in no particular order):
- PS4 had the exclusive marketing;
- Crash is a brand intimately connected to PS4;
- Crash N Sane Trilogy was a year long exclusive on PS4, establishing it even further as the platform for Crash;
- PS4 is by far the most successful platform in the UK.

That's a lot going for the PS4, and a 66% share of total sales for this title nicely matches up with that I think.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Pretty sure in the resolution thread we were told that there was absolutely no chance people would buy a kart game at 30fps.

Now I don't know who to believe...

Your general consumer won't even know the game is 30fps until they put the disc in and start playing. Once they realise that something's wrong, they'll return the product and get a refund.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Why would Switch players buy a 480p/720p 30fps kart game when they can buy a better and more enjoyable 720p/1080p 60fps kart game featuring Mario ?
Well, partly because they already played MK8D to death (I know I was pining for a new, awesome Kart racer). But besides that, Crash as an IP is very enjoyable, and the game looks really good regardless of the resolution. Frame rate is not typically something non-hardcore gamers care a lot about. And it's a pretty good game, too.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Which is better, CTR or TSR?

Depends on what you want. Both are pretty fun.
TSR is 60fps and has good team mechanics
But CTR has better Tracks,content.
TSR is very average game mostly full of rubbish characters that nobody has ever heard of. Crash seems like the better choice.

Out of all the reasons you pick the strangest one. Its not like Crash is filled with iconic characters or something lol. If anything more people would recognize more characters in TSR.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Crash Bandicoot 4 was already in pre-production before N. Sane even went on sale.