• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is false, the studio had around 50 peopel for the majority of the game, only in the 2 years they hired more peopel.
Yeah this was something they said around the game informers preview. They only got more people late in the developement.

Will be interesting to see how they will do a sequel from the start with the developers they got now. Game is already impressive enough at the moment so just imagine the sequel.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
It's not exact but days gone has been in full production since Jan 2015 (also Sony would of been paying bend after golden abyss during days gone pre production)

So it's been in full dev for 4yrs 3months
Theres 135 main bend devs so

$70,000 x 135 = $9,450,000 that's 1 years wages x 4 = $37,800,000 4yrs wages

Now that's just for the wages of the main days gone team of 135, however if you look at the credits of days gone theres a lot more then 135 ppl involved in the creation of days gone there's out sourcing, voice actors etc, and then there's marketing and other costs like rent, food, cleaning, power,etc
After 4yrs I would be surprised if total dev costs were not at least $80 million

So if Sony on average make $25 per game sold

They would need to sell 3.2million copies to break even.
Obviously this is not exact Sony could make more per copy or less, expense could be more a less etc

But even without trying to work out the Dev costs, it's not assumption saying "it's not a success yet" it's a fact, days gone is not a success, yet.
Weather days gone will be a success I don't know, could go either way.
That is false, the studio had around 50 peopel for the majority of the game, only in the 2 years they hired more peopel.

Here the source.
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/296719/Days_Gone_has_driven_Sony_Bend_to_more_than_double_in_size.php

Some from Summer 2016 till April 2017 they went from 45 to 103.

Broncs

Nov 26, 2018
Don't the platform holders make $40 per physical copy & the full $60 for digital. I mean I think 2 million copies will break even depending on marketing budget. If something like horizon had a budget of $47 million then I can't see this game with a much smaller team being bigger than that.

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's not exact but days gone has been in full production since Jan 2015 (also Sony would of been paying bend after golden abyss during days gone pre production)

Now that's just for the wages of the main days gone team of 135, however if you look at the credits of days gone theres a lot more then 135 ppl involved in the creation of days gone there's out sourcing, voice actors etc, and then there's marketing and other costs like rent, food, cleaning, power,etc
After 4yrs I would be surprised if total dev costs were not at least $80 million

Obviously this is not exact Sony could make more per copy or less, expense could be more a less etc

But even without trying to work out the Dev costs, it's not assumption saying "it's not a success yet" it's a fact, days gone is not a success, yet.
Yeah... nope. They didn't have that many people for all those years, also, Sony's exclusives games are known to be less costly than most AAA in the industry. I would be surprised if they invested more than $70 millions in the production of DG.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

This is actually hilarious.

Why even bother spouting bullshit like "they need to sell 3-4 million to break even" when you don't know shit and are just making a whole bunch of assumptions?

Just stop dude, you have no idea how much Sony spent making and promoting this game, no one does besides them.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
If something like horizon had a budget of $47 million then I can't see this game with a much smaller team being bigger than that.

That's only development budget, does not include marketing.

Sony's exclusives games are known to be less costly than most AAA in the industry

I don't think that's true at all.
A game like God of War or Uncharted does not cost less than the average AAA game at all.
ND production value is not cheap at all.

God of War 3 for example costed 44 million USD in 2010

Last edited:

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing that people suddenly care about budgets and sales needed to 'break even' - imagine going to a sales milestone thread and saying "yeah but its not a success yet."

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Amazing that people suddenly care about budgets and sales needed to 'break even' - imagine going to a sales milestone thread and saying "yeah but its not a success yet."

Someone obviously already had a "Failure, Bend will be closed now" faux concern post already written out in case it didn't top the chart but still wanted to use some of it.

Feb 10, 2018
Last edited:

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Glad to see it doing well. I bought Mortal Kombat for now. Ill probably pick up Days Gone whenever it is on sale first.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this was something they said around the game informers preview. They only got more people late in the developement.

Will be interesting to see how they will do a sequel from the start with the developers they got now. Game is already impressive enough at the moment so just imagine the sequel.

If the game is a success then I believe Bend will be able to upgrade their headquarters to have a full mocap studio. No traveling 800+ miles to SSM to use their facilities.

Last edited:

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This isn't correct. Publisher makes roughly $35 per game sold. Closer to $45 if sold digitally according to an old kotaku article. Rounding out at 39 million per million copies sold. We discussed this in the PS OT.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the game is a success then I believe Bend will be able to upgrade their headquarters to have a full mocap studio. No traveling 800+ to SSM to use their facilities.
Wait so they had to travel to make the animations? That explains a lot.

Animations in the game were a bit meh in many places. The developers said somewhere that there was 4 or so people (I could be remembering the number wrong) so it makes sense if that's the case.

Feb 10, 2018
This isn't correct. Publisher makes roughly $35 per game sold. Closer to $45 if sold digitally according to an old kotaku article. Rounding out at 39 million per million copies sold. We discussed this in the PS OT.

not all copies will be sold at full RRP.

But it does not matter anyway I've updated my break even estimate in a later post.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't that calculation wrong in this situation as it doesn't take into account platform royalty free that Sony doesn't have to pay? Referring specifically to digital.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so they had to travel to make the animations? That explains a lot.

Animations in the game were a bit meh in many places. The developers said somewhere that there was 4 or so people (I could be remembering the number wrong) so it makes sense if that's the case.

Yeah they didn't have they didn't have the space, equipment or personnel to do that stuff in house so they apparently had to travel down to SSM for their mocap recording sessions.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I think despite the reviews this game really appeals to the general public. I've heard friends who are not into video games talking about it.

In fact, I've seen a big push for it on retail stores here in Brazil, which is really surprising. Sony is treating this as any other AAA exclusive.

Oct 30, 2017
Always happy to see a single player game succeed. My mp activities has been dwindled to zero… just can't bring the energy to compete against others.
Like to walk my own path and pace.

Game looks like fun, will buy down the road (hah!).
Is there any info on dlc or something that you'll be able to get another bike? Riding a sports bike myself, so…

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always happy to see a single player game succeed. My mp activities has been dwindled to zero… just can't bring the energy to compete against others.
Like to walk my own path and pace.

Game looks like fun, will buy down the road (hah!).
Is there any info on dlc or something that you'll be able to get another bike? Riding a sports bike myself, so…
There was some DLC they announced by a mistake but we don't know what it is. As for the bike, your bike is the only bike you get although you can use enemy bikes temporarily. You bike's look can be customized to look very different although I don't think there is a sport bike look.

Oct 27, 2017
OP is misleading. It doesn't specify that Days Gone only beat MK11's PS4 sales, not overall sales.

You are mixing US and UK I think.

UK = Days Gone is the best launch so far in 2019, easily beating MK11 (PS4+Xbox One combined)

US = Benji said Days Gone day one sales are on par with the PS4 version of MK11.

And if you ask me, US is the only part of the world where Days Gone won't sell better than MK11, which is an extremely US-centric IP.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Well, I think despite the reviews this game really appeals to the general public. I've heard friends who are not into video games talking about it.

In fact, I've seen a big push for it on retail stores here in Brazil, which is really surprising. Sony is treating this as any other AAA exclusive.

Yep, it's getting the same treatment GOW got here in Brazil. In fact I feel like it's getting even more of a push from Brazilian youtubers, most of them are loving the game and the videos from the most famous ones are already reaching 1 million views which is pretty crazy after less than a week. Sony really built the hype for this game well.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
congrats to bend studio...i hope it succeeds for them. i'd hate for sony to not give them a second chance to improve and really come back with a better product. In the current industry, its super cutthroat and no mistakes and growth periods are allowed a lot of the time. Ready at Dawn and Evolution Studios know this acutely

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine what TLOU2 will do.

200k+ easily.
TLOU2 will be a gigantic behemoth :O
congrats to bend studio...i hope it succeeds for them. i'd hate for sony to not give them a second chance to improve and really come back with a better product. In the current industry, its super cutthroat and no mistakes and growth periods are allowed a lot of the time. Ready at Dawn and Evolution Studios know this acutely
Bend Studio is eating right now. And that's good to see. Especially because compared to Ready at Dawn's and Evo's last Sony games, Days Gone is a huge hit ;)

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Game is pretty solid like many people said, I'm half way done and I'm enjoying the trip.. ain't no god of war or TLOU but it's an okay game with a great story development mid way even thou the intro of the game was horrible and off putting

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game is pretty solid like many people said, I'm half way done and I'm enjoying the trip.. ain't no god of war or TLOU but it's an okay game with a great story development mid way even thou the intro of the game was horrible and off putting

Considering that the writing was done in house, I think the IP has a lot of potential. They might be able to hire talent to improve on areas people thought were lacking. It's not an epic story line by any means but that doesn't detract from the experience in my humble opinion.

You need to look at the receipts.

The same people who claimed the game was trash and or wouldn't sell are all over era in their new role as Sony's chief financial officer. I wont be engaging in that aspect of conversation with those who have morphed their "concerns" into "budgetary concerns."

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No offense but is MK even that big in europe? Always seemed kinda US focused.

Outside of the US the UK has always been a hotbed of FGC. The last evo champ is British and MK has always been big here. The reason why Days Gone outsold MK is beyond the scope of this thread so in short, explainable by Sony's dominance in the FGC scene here in the UK.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I am happy for bend. Transitioning to console development with a small team and multiple stop/starts must have been painful. Hope they use the experience to fix some of the shortcoming of the first one and make a sequel that knocks it out f the park and maybe even add coop multiplayer stuff.
No offense but is MK even that big in europe? Always seemed kinda US focused.

That shouldn't matter because days gone beat out everything that came out this year in terms of launch sales in the UK.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I think this game will continue to sell based on word of mouth.

It has jumped two spots on amazon best seller archive since release.

Last edited: