• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know what to say. Even as someone who likes days gone, you can't see the difference in quality between a ND and Rockstar game compared to days gone? And I didn't even like red dead 2
I'm not saying that if this was released by them it would be a 9.5+ on meta, I'm simply saying it would be at an higher average than what it currently is. Reviewers don't have the balls to dish out low score from certain developers. It can be seen from RDR2 to Uncharted 4 to Mario Odyssey. All games with easily recognizable flaws ignored during review time.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying that if this was released by them it would be a 9.5+ on meta, I'm simply saying it would be at an higher average than what it currently is. Reviewers don't have the balls to dish out low score from certain developers. It can be seen from RDR2 to Uncharted 4 to Mario Odyssey. All games with easily recognizable flaws ignored during review time.

I don't think so. If Days Gone was released by ND or R*, reviews would lower IMO. People have unbelievably high expectations from those studios.

As for the high review scores, it's not that reviewers don't have the balls. It's because the highs in those games are exceptionally high and they compensate for the minor shortcomings. Days Gone doesn't have those super high highlights so the shortcomings are more prevalent.

I personally don't see a big flaws with RDR2, Uncharted 4, and Mario Odyssey. They're the best at what they're set to do.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. If Days Gone was released by ND or R*, reviews would lower IMO. People have unbelievably high expectations from those studios.

As for the high review scores, it's not that reviewers don't have the balls. It's because the highs in those games are exceptionally high and they compensate for the minor shortcomings. Days Gone doesn't have those super high highlights so the shortcomings are more prevalent.

I personally don't see a big flaws with RDR2, Uncharted 4, and Mario Odyssey. They're the best at what they're set to do.
Big flaws are obvious. RDR2 doesn't have moment to moment gameplay that feels good, uncharted 4 has obvious pacing issues, and SMO is a platformer with average platforming. Reviews were obviously jaded in their favor.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Big flaws are obvious. RDR2 doesn't have moment to moment gameplay that feels good, uncharted 4 has obvious pacing issues, and SMO is a platformer with average platforming. Reviews were obviously jaded in their favor.

Not really. RDR2's gameplay feels great IMO and Uncharted 4's pacing is deliberate and done well. Days Gone has lower highs and lower lows than those games by a mile.

I personally give Days Gone a high 8 or a low 9 because I enjoy it so much despite the big issues though.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
It seems that the last few high caliber releases have built up some trust from the audience that a certain base level of quality will always be there for these kinds of games from Sony and that the game might be worth its €60 at launch.
The delays have also pushed the game into a pretty good release day slot. There's not too much direct competition apart from maybe Rage 2 for the next few weeks.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Impressions are important. Doesn't matter if they come from IGN, or posters on Era, or Content Creators on YouTube. My point is that Metacritic scores and the reviews that make them up are not the objective indicators of whether or not a game is good. They're not more credible than me going into an OT on Era and reading impressions there, or going to YouTube and listening to someone like Angry Joe review the game.

Also your shtick about people being happy that Days Gone is doing well is people forgiving bugs etc. for the sake of console wars is nonsense, and ironically more dangerous than the 'issues' you're raising. Accusing anyone defending this game as console warriors is really irresponsible and lazy. A team of hundreds of people have worked their asses off to deliver a game that many are buying and enjoying. What's not to celebrate? Unless you think something underhand has happened and the team has intentionally shipped the game with all these bugs with the mindset of 'who cares, people will buy it anyway'. Let me tell you, no development team thinks like that. At all.

For what it's worth, I'm a developer as well working in the AAA space specifically. So I can symphatise with the troubles that other developers, AAA or not, face when they need to ship a title and it doesn't quite land EXACTLY how they want it to. It is what it is, but credit should be given where credit is due. It's not like this game is a completely broken, awful experience riddled with predatory microstransactions.
You bring this up, but would this have applied to Anthem if it sold a lot even though it's such a mess of a game?

Oct 25, 2017
Sanji gonna get the last laugh.
tumblr_orz381lzda1tag66ro1_1498174993_cover.gif

Alcohog

Apr 18, 2018
The game is pretty awesome, I agree with a lot of others; I'm digging it so far and I'm glad I took the risk.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You bring this up, but would this have applied to Anthem if it sold a lot even though it's such a mess of a game?

I think there are levels for sure, and I'm not saying games should be free of any criticism as much as I'm saying that this idea that developers put out games in those states on with malicious intent needs to stop. Because that's almost never the intent.

Bearing that in mind, if there are people enjoying Anthem despite it being a mess of a game, let them do that and celebrate its existence. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this because no doubt Bioware never wanted to ship the game in that state in the first place.

A game can come out, be mediocre, get panned by critics but do well commercially and the developers still learn from their mistakes is what I'm getting at. Not many people seem to understand this because they assume those mistakes are intentional or developers being lazy etc.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They are meaningless because i dont look at metacritic user scores and decide if i should play it or skip something, they are meaningless because users are not to be trusted with well reasoned moderate takes on media when it comes to numeric values , those same users have far more investment and agendas than your regular polygon reviewer who sucks at doom

So you would agree days gone fall into that same comfort food as ubisoft open worlds?

More users may have investment or agendas, but simultaneously more users are consumers who actually pay for their games unlike the vast majority of critics, and they also don't play tonnes of them simply as part of a job either, and that in a way gives user reviews and impressions a distinct or different type of relatability and merit.

If you don't trust user reviews because of a tiny minority of users with alternative motives, then you might as well disregard all forum impressions too, including how we should perceive yours, because the same principle of skepticism would exist. Eg we wouldn't know which users are fanboys or have other motivations or not.

And no, I wouldn't agree that Days Gone is simply akin to Ubisoft comfort food, instead I would argue it is simply its very own thing, that users seem to appreciate more than critics.

It's weird because both Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Far Cry 5 have much lower user meta scores than their critic metas, a part of that coming down to many users simply finding these sequels too similar to past iterations where an element of familiarity becomes an overbearing negative. And yet, it is the opposite case with both Dying Light and Days Gone, where instead the user metas are higher than the critic metas, and users unlike critics, actually find the latter games more, not less familiar or generic. And of course it's understandable why that may be the case, because unlike critics who might play every zombie and open world game out there as part of their job, most gamers would be lucky to play a few each year, if that, so something like Days Gone really might feel more fresh to most normal consumers versus for example, your tenth Assassin's Creed.

Last edited:

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't even know what to say. Even as someone who likes days gone, you can't see the difference in quality between a ND and Rockstar game compared to days gone? And I didn't even like red dead 2
The most obvious difference between these games is that Days Gone doesn't control like hot garbage. Sure, RDR 2 has way higher production value, more polish, better story, voice acting etc. but the core gameplay just isn't good.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Gears 5 and Halo Infinite will still sell very well as a standalone $60 product even with Gamepass.

Crackdown 3 didn't sell well... because it was Crackdown 3. The metrics for that game was always dismal. Why do you think MS never ever shared player numbers for that game, unlike Sea of Thieves of State of Decay 2?

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
FH4 is doing okay and that was GP day one.
FH4 has the benefit of being a stunningly well made title in a relatively niche genre. I think that GamePass is truly a boon for such titles. I think that fighting games and the like could also greatly benefit from the service. Single player narrative games, on the other hand, I'm not so sure. Would God of War have earned as much revenue if many of the people who wanted to play it had gotten a $3 1 month trial for PSPass, beaten it, then let their sub lapse as the game has zero DLC or online component? Seems highly unlikely. Games with multiplayer or evolving content are a much better fit for the service than something more like Sony's highly narrative driven first party content.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
So Days Gone is basically the UK's biggest physical launch this year until Crash Team Racing comes out right? 'Cos Crash Bandicoot is a national fucking treasure at this point. The last time we embraced something this Australian was Steve Irwin (R.I.P. in peace).

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I mean, yes, both Sony and MS will heavily bundle their biggest games, Spider-Man and Uncharted 4 were heavily bundled as well.
A game in a bundle doesn't mean it won't sell as a standalone title.
Sure but it's why it has done so well when other racing games don't. Not to take away that it's a great game but looking at Motorsport 7 which hasn't been bundled as much and seeing the huge discrepancy in sells shows that it has a lot to do with it.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I really want thr game! Looks really good. 7 to me means, if you think you will like it then probs you will.

Plus screw reviews! AC oddysey, Far cry 5 were bland. Even uncharted 4 was not as good as its prequels.

Cant find a good deal on the game tho :( so gonna wait.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
More users may have investment or agendas, but simultaneously more users are consumers who actually pay for their games unlike the vast majority of critics, and they also don't play tonnes of them simply as part of a job either, and that in a way gives user reviews and impressions a distinct or different type of relatability and merit.

If you don't trust user reviews because of a tiny minority of users with alternative motives, then you might as well disregard all forum impressions too, including how we should perceive yours, because the same principle of skepticism would exist. Eg we wouldn't know which users are fanboys or have other motivations or not.

And no, I wouldn't agree that Days Gone is simply akin to Ubisoft comfort food, instead I would argue it is simply its very own thing, that users seem to appreciate more than critics.

It's weird because both Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Far Cry 5 have much lower user meta scores than their critic metas, a part of that coming down to many users simply finding these sequels too similar to past iterations where an element of familiarity becomes an overbearing negative. And yet, it is the opposite case with both Dying Light and Days Gone, where instead the user metas are higher than the critic metas, and users unlike critics, actually find the latter games more, not less familiar or generic. And of course it's understandable why that may be the case, because unlike critics who might play every zombie and open world game out there as part of their job, most gamers would be lucky to play a few each year, if that, so something like Days Gone really might feel more fresh to most normal consumers versus for example, your tenth Assassin's Creed.
I do disregard majority of this forums opinions , especially when it comes to specific genres and game companies . And it is very easy to tell which people are fan boys of specific brands and companies, you can always find a pattern in posts and threads and how they engage and start conversations .
And youre right, most current gen Ubisoft open worlds are a notch above compared to what days gone is offering. And as much as i dont like Dying Light, it had far more its own unique identity when it came to gameplay loop and overall open world design. And in all DG feels like something from last gen of open worlds. Very similar to mad max

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do disregard majority of this forums opinions , especially when it comes to specific genres and game companies . And it is very easy to tell which people are fan boys of specific brands and companies, you can always find a pattern in posts and threads and how they engage and start conversations .
And youre right, most current gen Ubisoft open worlds are a notch above compared to what days gone is offering. And as much as i dont like Dying Light, it had far more its own unique identity when it came to gameplay loop and overall open world design. And in all DG feels like something from last gen of open worlds. Very similar to mad max

Have you played Days Gone?

Oct 27, 2017

Mad Max was fucking great though! The driving was incredibly fun and it had a very strong and unique sense of place. Days Gone seems to have similar qualities too so I'm sure I would enjoy it.

Comparing to 3.1M GoW and 3.3M Spider man last year,i expect Days Gone to end with something like ~2M launch weekend (3 days sales),i guess?

I mean, that seems huge for any game, but especially so for one with reviews as low as DG had. I think it'll be more like 1.5 million sales opening week, 4-5 million lifetime.

how are we 5 months into the year and still dont have digital sales haha

I'm sure some of them had digital sales included in the past, but it seems to fluctuate.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Have you played Days Gone?
Yes? I am 6h in. Have you??? You said you gonna wait for sale, after the reviews hit. So what gives?
Mad Max was fucking great though! The driving was incredibly fun and it had a very strong and unique sense of place. Days Gone seems to have similar qualities too so I'm sure I would enjoy it.

I mean, that seems huge for any game, but especially so for one with reviews as low as DG had. I think it'll be more like 1.5 million sales opening week, 4-5 million lifetime.

I'm sure some of them had digital sales included in the past, but it seems to fluctuate.
Mad max was best 6.5/10 game that year. And the driving was a lot of fun, DG doesnt have that. Also mad max vistas and deserts had really neat aesthetic . The sense of isolation was also pretty cool.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

The only issue I have with this is user reviews usually come from people who are invested in a platform. They have purchased that platform and purchased the game. When you are laying down 50 pounds of your hard earned cash you want to like the game. Something reviewers dont have to worry about.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
The only issue I have with this is user reviews usually come from people who are invested in a platform. They have purchased that platform and purchased the game. When you are laying down 50 pounds of your hard earned cash you want to like the game. Something reviewers dont have to worry about.

I get that you feel 50 pounds is a lot of money, and maybe it is to a lot of people....but to a lot of other people it's not very much. It's not as though it's an astronomical figure. It's standard pricing across the industry for years and not exclusive to this title.

I, for instance, have purchased the following games at full price due to hype and hated them, played them once and never again: Overwatch, Monster Hunter: World, Star Wars Battlefield 2, and a few others I'm forgetting. I will check my PSN later. All I'm saying is your sentiments, while maybe valid for some, are anecdotal and not representative of the entirety of the fanbase.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Pleased at how the sales seem to be going. Game is really solid and fun, just needs a few patches to address performance / bugs.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
so now its "lol zombies always sell"? God damn some people have a hate boner for this game....

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I get that you feel 50 pounds is a lot of money, and maybe it is to a lot of people....but to a lot of other people it's not very much. It's not as though it's an astronomical figure. It's standard pricing across the industry for years and not exclusive to this title.

I, for instance, have purchased the following games at full price due to hype and hated them, played them once and never again: Overwatch, Monster Hunter: World, Star Wars Battlefield 2, and a few others I'm forgetting. I will check my PSN later. All I'm saying is your sentiments, while maybe valid for some, are anecdotal and not representative of the entirety of the fanbase.

Oh yeah, I'm sure there's deffo instances where people buy something and think, WHAT IS THIS!?! and decide they hate it. probably trade it in etc (which is not an option for digital) Buyers remorse is real.

THere is deffo a side of people that want to love something they've invested in.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Oh yeah, I'm sure there's deffo instances where people buy something and think, WHAT IS THIS!?! and decide they hate it. probably trade it in etc (which is not an option for digital) Buyers remorse is real.

THere is deffo a side of people that want to love something they've invested in.
But then wouldn't they just say that? Instead of saying they love the game just to spite other people on the internet?