• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You thought there was no way it'd outsell RE2 though. So it doing as well as it has must still be surprising to you...
Yes, it was surprising. Good on you for finding my post. I've tried finding other user's posts in the past and it is a chore. You did it though. Must have taken you some time.

When did I make that statement? There wasn't a link for me to find that quote, but I'm guessing it was 6+ months ago? So maybe I overstated how long ago I came on board, but I definitely came on board. I believed in this zombie fatigue nonsense until others showed me it was a joke. Even bad zombie games/movies/tv shows still do well.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it was surprising. Good on you for finding my post. I've tried finding other user's posts in the past and it is a chore. You did it though. Must have taken you some time.

When did I make that statement? There wasn't a link for me to find that quote, but I'm guessing it was 6+ months ago? So maybe I overstated how long ago I came on board, but I definitely came on board. I believed in this zombie fatigue nonsense until others showed me it was a joke. Even bad zombie games/movies/tv shows still do well.

You are a national treasure, I hope you never get a permanent ban again. The forum is not the same without you.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You are a national treasure, I hope you never get a permanent ban again. The forum is not the same without you.
LOL! Probably just a matter of time before I say something stupid (no jokes pls) and get another ban.. But hey, if I can come around on Days Gone maybe I will be okay!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You made the post January 2019.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

Man this gen has been real hard on your forum life hasn't it, catching Ls every time I see you.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
after reading a bunch of reviews i ended up picking it up full price

i really like bend, and hopefully they keep working out the bugs

also, i bought two zombie games in two days, and im not zombied-out yet

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Well well well, the power of exclusivity and a huge userbase I'd say. It'll be interesting to see the GOTY votings as well, if exclusives on a popular platform automatically helps a game climb by having a big amount of mid list placements.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, something tells me this is NOT a case of just Era bubble

the thing the "my, what a bubble Era is!" people never tell you is which space they reside in that apparently isn't a bubble and somehow manages to be a representative sample of the population at large

like, "I knew Era was wrong, three of my friends were super hyped!!" doesn't actually tell me you were working with particularly great data, either

(also, the irony of the bubble takeaways is that they usually require being in a bubble within the bubble and somehow not noticing all the posts that contradict the hivemind-like consensus they perceive in their heads)

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Once again proving journos are out of touch with everything really

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
User Warned: System Wars/Trolling
Uk has such terrible taste, damn

But we already know that mediocrity sells when it comes to ps4 first party (see knack etc)

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The defence and strange "victory" stance for this game because it is a ps4 exclusive is just weird to me.

I mean I completed crackdown 3 and got nearly all achievements. I thought it was great fun for my time with it, but I have absolutely no issue with someone rating it 3 out if ten or 5 or whatever.

It's fine to like what you like. People calling for reviews to be trashed and to follow user reviews etc. Is just odd to me. Also saying sales are some victory for an average game to sell well is also concerning. People are happy for quality to slip, bugs etc to win a console war?

The marketing budget for this game must outweigh every single title released this year. Marketing works to an extent.

Genuinely, enjoy the game but please dont lower yourselves to allow buggy experiences with blatant flaws get a pass because you want to "win" the console war/sales/marketing machine. Strange.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
The fans love the game but the press hate it.

The press

Seems they give one kind of genre high reviews, namely very linear single player games, but games like Days Gone, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, get poor scores from them.
RDR2 was very close for GOTY and BotW won loads the year prior so not sure if that's really true.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The defence and strange "victory" stance for this game because it is a ps4 exclusive is just weird to me.

I mean I completed crackdown 3 and got nearly all achievements. I thought it was great fun for my time with it, but I have absolutely no issue with someone rating it 3 out if ten or 5 or whatever.

It's fine to like what you like. People calling for reviews to be trashed and to follow user reviews etc. Is just odd to me. Also saying sales are some victory for an average game to sell well is also concerning. People are happy for quality to slip, bugs etc to win a console war?

The marketing budget for this game must outweigh every single title released this year. Marketing works to an extent.

Genuinely, enjoy the game but please dont lower yourselves to allow buggy experiences with blatant flaws get a pass because you want to "win" the console war/sales/marketing machine. Strange.

I don't care about DG, but every thread was filled with "generic", "fatigue", "failure", etc. So the reaction is natural.

And 73 is not a terrible score at all.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

tbf Days Gone isn't exactly "hated" by the press. It's sitting on a 70+ metacritic score after all.
Also, game reviewing doesn't only happen in the US by IGN, Gamespot and Kotaku.
In my home country Germany the reception was much better, basically 8s across the board.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
There hasn't been enough time yet - in both the sales results and long-term view of the game's reception to have any concrete overview of whether or not Days Gone is an amazing commercial success ( even though early metrics are definitely positive ) and whether or not this is a game with severe dissonance in terms of audience/critic reception of the game.

At the very least - the least that can be said is that criticisms like 'zombie fatigue' and 'open world fatigue' has long been debunked by the continued success of open world games in the entire generation, and in the past few months, proof that there's no major turn-off aspect for zombies in performance of sales in games like WWZ.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The press

Seems they give one kind of genre high reviews, namely very linear single player games, but games like Days Gone, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, get poor scores from them.
Press does not hate it, lol. Its sitting at 70+ metascore , in what universe this is hating the game? Its a very fair score .Also the same press gave GOTY awards to Oblivion, Skyrim , Witcher 3, RDR and RDR2, Zelda BotW and those same games are 90+ metascore .
Maybe its just the fact that days gone is not that good ? Its ok game, ok games are ok. They happen everyday . just because its first party Sony exclusive does not meant its automatically good game .

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK

You'd definitely be making more of a point if you hadn't ever been banned for fanboy shit as well though.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This post is weird to me. I remember you defending Crackdown 3 in numerous threads and now you seem to be mad at others for doing the same with Days Gone. To be honest, I'm seeing a much bigger contrast between player experiences v. reviews with this game than Crackdown 3. People seem to be really loving Days Gone. I look forward to seeing where I land with it.

You are also pushing the ridiculous narrative that the game is only successful because of the marketing. I've seen plenty of footage of Days Gone and played plenty of Crackdown 3. Days Gone looks far more compelling, and is visually stunning too. Plus zombie games are a popular genre. It's no surprise that it would sell well, even without huge marketing.

Last edited:

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

You seem like a man on a mission. Is like I see you in every single thread that Days Gone is referenced.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
So what's the new line to replace"Talent Wins" /s

Id say they are very talented considering they built a visually stunning open world with an impressive dynamic weather/lighting system. They are a mid-sized studio and still delivered a huge game packed with content. If they continue to grow to be closer to the size of Sony's major studios like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Sony Santa Monica, etc. then I can see them becoming one of best studios.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nothing to do with exclusivity.

Game was hated by so many people here since it's inception so I and many people have been rooting for it and are happy to see it do well. Not to mention I am happy for Bend who are talented and deserve the success.

And just because it is bugged here and there doesn't mean it can't be good. Bend has been hard at work and are addressing the bugs so in the end we will have an excellent game.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Wat.

Seriously, where does that even come from?

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL

But like...if people are having fun why do you care so much? Do you think people are spending $60 to fake having fun just to piss you off? Strange.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

It's not because it's a PS4 exclusive. The same shit happened with Crackdown 3 but on a smaller scale because the Xbox community on Era is smaller. You get reviews that don't meet expectations, opportunists use it as a chance to shit on a game they were never going to buy in the first place/have never played themselves but the people that enjoy it feel like speaking out and disagreeing. Especially with the hyperbole I see going round about Days Gone

There's nothing wrong with 'defending' something you like or have a difference of opinion on. That's what discourse and conversation is all about. And it's not as if metacritic is even an objective deciding factor of whether a game is good or not. Y'all just put way too much stock in it as if it actually matters, ultimately. They don't.

I stopped listening to review scores a long time ago because of this reason, even though the majority of the games I buy do coincidentally have high metacritic scores, the only opinion that matters are the consumer's. That's my take anyway. Review 'culture' has just become click orientated console war bait and so toxic.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You'd definitely be making more of a point if you hadn't ever been banned for fanboy shit as well though.

Typical 2019 mentality, that no one can ever see their faults and grow as a human being. Let's drag up the past to attack someone. You see something wrong with my posts and call issue and we can address it :).

This post is weird to me. I remember you defending Crackdown 3 in numerous threads and now you seem to be mad at others for doing the same with Days Gone. To be honest, I'm seeing a much bigger contrast between player experiences v. reviews with this game than Crackdown 3. People seem to be really loving Days Gone. I look forward to seeing where I land with it.

You are also pushing the ridiculous narrative that the game is only successful because of the marketing. I've seen plenty of footage of Days Gone and played plenty of Crackdown 3. Days Gone looks far more compelling, and is visually stunning too. Plus zombie games are a popular genre. It's no surprise that it would sell well, even without huge marketing.

Like I said in my post, if people read it properly. I enjoyed crackdown 3 , I did so much of far cry 5 even though I was told by the press the story was awful. I will pick up Days Gone and I am hoping I will enjoy it too. I normally enjoy open world busy work so I'm sure I'll like it. I dont have an issue with anyone liking the game. That is perfectly fine. My issue is people saying "user reviews are more important than these stupid journalists" it's bad to see. Also I clearly was only using crackdown as an example of someone enjoying a game that has some negative reviews.

Both games can be good. :)

Nothing to do with exclusivity.

Game was hated by so many people here since it's inception so I and many people have been rooting for it and are happy to see it do well. Not to mention I am happy for Bend who are talented and deserve the success.

And just because it is bugged here and there doesn't mean it can't be good. Bend has been hard at work and are addressing the bugs so in the end we will have an excellent game.

I don't believe you on the exclusive part at all, sorry.

Seems to me some people think the game is as bad as Crackdown 3 when it is obvious the game is anything but.

The game is rough in many areas but at it's core it is a very good game. It does a lot of Interesting things.

Crackdown was mentioned for nothing more than an example that you can enjoy a game that some reviewers didn't enjoy as much. Days gone is not getting anywhere near the panning that crackdown got. It is more than FINE to enjoy Days Gone.

It's not because it's a PS4 exclusive. The same shit happened with Crackdown 3 but on a smaller scale because the Xbox community on Era is smaller. You get reviews that don't meet expectations, opportunists use it as a chance to shit on a game they were never going to buy in the first place/have never played themselves but the people that enjoy it feel like speaking out and disagreeing. Especially with the hyperbole I see going round about Days Gone

There's nothing wrong with 'defending' something you like or have a difference of opinion on. That's what discourse and conversation is all about. And it's not as if metacritic is even an objective deciding factor of whether a game is good or not. Y'all just put way too much stock in it as if it actually matters, ultimately. They don't.

I stopped listening to review scores a long time ago because of this reason, even though the majority of the games I buy do coincidentally have high metacritic scores, the only opinion that matters are the consumer's. That's my take anyway. Review 'culture' has just become click orientated console war bait and so toxic.

It's everything to do with it being a PS4 exclusive it's just some people are refusing to see it. The same it was with Crackdown.

The point i was attempting to make is, I think we are on a slippery slope to champion a game and "stick it to the man" over a game that clearly has flaws.

Nearly every post I've read starts with "yes there is glaring issues...but" "issues aside..." "There's tons of bugs but I'm really enjoying it"

"take that reviewers ha"

That's a scary place to be, when there are masterpieces like God of war, Zelda etc out there that deserve universal praise, it's fine for a game to be a decent game and enjoyable.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Typical 2019 mentality, that no one can ever see their faults and grow as a human being. Let's drag up the past to attack someone. You see something wrong with my posts and call issue and we can address it :).

Like I said in my post, if people read it properly. I enjoyed crackdown 3 , I did so much of far cry 5 even though I was told by the press the story was awful. I will pick up Days Gone and I am hoping I will enjoy it too. I normally enjoy open world busy work so I'm sure I'll like it. I dont have an issue with anyone liking the game. That is perfectly fine. My issue is people saying "user reviews are more important than these stupid journalists" it's bad to see. Also I clearly was only using crackdown as an example of someone enjoying a game that has some negative reviews.

Both games can be good. :)

I don't believe you on the exclusive part at all, sorry.

Crackdown was mentioned for nothing more than an example that you can enjoy a game that some reviewers didn't enjoy as much. Days gone is not getting anywhere near the panning that crackdown got. It is more than FINE to enjoy Days Gone.

It's everything to do with it being a PS4 exclusive it's just some people are refusing to see it. The same it was with Crackdown.

The point i was attempting to make is, I think we are on a slippery slope to champion a game and "stick it to the man" over a game that clearly has flaws.

Nearly every post I've read starts with "yes there is glaring issues...but" "issues aside..." "There's tons of bugs but I'm really enjoying it"

"take that reviewers ha"

That's a scary place to be, when there are masterpieces like God of war, Zelda etc out there that deserve universal praise, it's fine for a game to be a decent game and enjoyable.
I guess by your logic everyone who was a fan of Sony Bend and saw potential with what Days Gone could be is a fan boy?

Sorry but no, if the game was made by Sony Bend's people and wasn't exclusive then I would still be as excited for the game as I was. And I would love it as much as I do now because the game is one of the most fun I had this generation.