• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
it's not like there were so many big PS4 exclusives or new IPs this year. the competition wasn't that tough, being second in both categories is nice but not a huge achievement.

Outside of Death Stranding and Days Gone.. what is the biggest exclusie for the PS4 this year?

Medievil?
Judgment?

Not much of a competiion.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Because new IPs generally sell less than established series. It's an advantage that needs to be considered in the overall context.
I mean...

- Luigi's Mansion 2 sold ~20k first week in the UK (6.16m LTD WW)
- MGSV which was also made by Hideo Kojima sold ~170k first week in the UK (>6m in four months WW)
- Days Gone which was also a new IP published by Sony this year on PS4 (but developed by a previously mediocre studio at best) sold ~72k first week in the UK

Was it really that weird to expect more from Death Stranding? Luigi beating it at launch in the UK is surprising. Days Gone beating it at launch in the UK is also surprising.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of Death Stranding and Days Gone.. what is the biggest exclusie for the PS4 this year?

Medievil?
Judgment?

Not much of a competiion.
exactly. it was either first or 2nd place for DS when it came to biggest exclusive launch.
and for new IPs, there's anthem, control, outer worlds, astral chain, what else? again not much of a competition.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
exactly. it was either first or 2nd place for DS when it came to biggest exclusive launch.
and for new IPs, there's anthem, control, outer worlds, astral chain, what else? again not much of a competition.
From anthem to Sekiro to outer world ,there are many new ips this year .
Congrats to Sony for having the two of the biggest new ips this year and continuing to invest in AAA new ips . It's something we don't find quite often these days ;)

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really doesn't, at least not to the extent you seem to think so and certainly not against a series that hasn't traditionally been a huge seller. We've had too many instances of new IPs exploding in popularity and older IPs declining or remaining steady in sales to say that a new IP is always at a disadvantage
The video games industry isnt unique when it comes to risk aversion. The risks that come with launching a new IP are not the same as when launching a sequel.

I mean...

- Luigi's Mansion 2 sold ~20k first week in the UK (6.16m LTD WW)
- MGSV which was also made by Hideo Kojima sold ~170k first week in the UK (>6m in four months WW)
- Days Gone which was also a new IP published by Sony this year on PS4 (but developed by a previously mediocre studio at best) sold ~72k first week in the UK

Was it really that weird to expect more from Death Stranding? Luigi beating it at launch in the UK is surprising. Days Gone beating it at launch in the UK is also surprising.
Its weird to think that a sequel doesnt have an existing audience to build upon and has to build itself up from the same position of a new IP. Its weird to think that after all this time at least half of metal gear fans wouldnt be into death stranding because the gameplay action is completely different. It's weird to think this is anything like a Souls > Sekiro transition just because Hideo Kojima. Even those games have lost people between the far less radical shifts.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Contrarily to what some talked about before its release, Days Gone had everything to be a commercial success: zombies, open-world, Sony first party. And it was a big success considering the reviews and general quality of the game. Death stranding selling less than Days Gone in the Uk is expected. I'm still expecting Death Stranding to be a commercial success worldwide. The OT is almost catching up to Modern Warfare's, the biggest game of the year that had a 2 week head-start
OT size on Resetera may be the worst way ever to gauge the popularity of a game. League of Legends is one of the biggest games in the world and no one posts in the OT. Control and Astral Chain have way bigger OTs than NBA2K and Madden.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Deserved. I'm glad I bought it as it's easily one of the most (positively) memorable games I've played in some time.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this speaks more about Days Gone's surprise success than really Death Stranding bombing. 46k is a respectable debut.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I'm guessing Kojima will be pleased with these sales?
More importantly, will Sony be pleased? Kojima will need a big publisher's full trust again if he wants to continue making this kind of high budget games with so much freedom. Well I guess since it's Kojima we're talking about, he'll be fine anyway.