• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Posted by poklane
PlayStation's Death Stranding debuts at No.2 in the UK boxed charts.

It's the second biggest exclusive and the second biggest new IP released this year, behind another PS4 exclusive -- Days Gone, which was released in April. Compared to that, Hideo Kojima's new title sold 36% fewer units at launch.

It's the first new game from Kojima since the release of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, which arrived in September 2015 and was the most successful Metal Gear Solid launch to-date.
It means that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare retains No.1 for a third consecutive week. The Activision game continues to perform very well, with sales tracking 26% ahead of last year's Black Ops 4.

The arrival of Death Stranding means that Luigi's Mansion 3 takes a tumble down the charts. Nintendo's latest Switch game falls from No.2 to No.4 with a 59% drop in sales week-on-week.

There is a number of new boxed releases this week, with Need for Speed: Heat from EA arriving at No.5. The Need for Speed franchise has struggled in recent years and this new title sold 41% fewer boxed units at launch than 2017's Need for Speed: Payback. Note: Digital sales are not included in this data.

Last edited:

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017

It's the second biggest exclusive and the second biggest new IP released this year, behind another PS4 exclusive -- Days Gone, which was released in April. Compared to that, Hideo Kojima's new title sold 36% fewer units at launch.

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (1)
2. Death Stranding (new)
3. FIFA 20 (3)
4. Luigi's Mansion 3 (2)
5. Need for Speed: Heat (new)
6. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (4)
7. Fortnite: Darkfire Bundle (new)
8. Mario & Sonic At The Tokyo Olympic Games 2020 (new)
9. Minecraft (13)
10. Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (8)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I can't tell if this says more about Days Gone, Death Stranding, or the UK market place.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
A year ago i would never guess Days Gone would be bigger.

But let's face it...it's not a game easy to market, honestly.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I can't comment on the UK but at least here in the Netherlands there's simply 0 advertising for Death Stranding. Any British people here who have seen ads for the game?

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Freaking WOW at the Fortnite bundle charting. Did the one they sold last year do that?
Edit: Just remembered they've had that free pickaxe promotion with any purchase, I guarantee that's why it's even charted. Very impressive nonetheless.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The Wii version of Just Dance beat the PS4 and XB1 version? Maybe Just Dance 2020 won't be the last Wii game after all...

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In b4 people extrapolate UK to worldwide sales...

oh wait.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone keeps winning !

does anyone have the uk numbers for Days Gone?

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
This is gonna be a hell of a take but I found Days Gone to be a much pleasant experience then Death Stranding.
I've been really critical about DS and Hideo Kojima and the way he marketed the game but I admit playing the first hours got me intrigued about the story but goddamn, it feels more like work and less like a game. I wanna play more of the story but I dread going back into it because of the gameplay.

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone was around 72K according to the estimates, it was the best launch of the year so far when it was released, above Resident Evil 2 (70K) and Kingdom Hearts 3 (66K).

Anyone has the some MGS V number for the UK ? The digital share would be largely in favor of Death Stranding but that would still be interesting.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
TBH it wasn't really advertised here in the UK. Not in the major media streams at least. I remember seeing a shit tonne for Days Gone.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect this so sell less than Days Gone. I know it's only the UK though so the sales in other places might be better.
I can't tell if this says more about Days Gone, Death Stranding, or the UK market place.
Hmmm...is this good?
This means Days Gone did quite well. It doesn't mean Death Stranding was underwhelming or poor. It just seems more like an okay/decent number.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Holy shit @ Days Gone being the bigger launch by a considerable margin, and at a much slower time of year no less. I expected DS to be very much front loaded with the Kojima fans early adopting.

I'm sure Sony will be pretty damn happy having the two biggest new IP launches of the year either way.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone was around 72K according to the estimates, it was the best launch of the year so far when it was released, above Resident Evil 2 (70K) and Kingdom Hearts 3 (66K).

Anyone has the some MGS V number for the UK ? The digital share would be largely in favor of Death Stranding but that would still be interesting.

iirc it was around 170k making it the third biggest launch of that year after Batman and Witcher.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I find this number disappointing for DS

36% lower than Days Gone = 44.8k for Death Stranding in 2 days

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Considering Days Gone's opening is considered really good, doesn't it mean that DS's launch being just below Day's gone mean that it went quite well?

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
here are the old MGS Sales for comparison

[Week 24, 2008] METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS (KONAMI) - 110,000 / NEW
[Week 09, 2005] METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER (KONAMI) - 86,000 / NEW
[Week 10, 2002] METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY (KONAMI) - 124,000 / NEW
[Week 08, 1999] METAL GEAR SOLID (KONAMI) - <100,000 / NEW

Metal Gear Solid V sold just under 37% more than MGS 2 at Launch (PS4/Xbox One)

Source: Pal Charts Week 36 on the old Forum

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Holy shit @ Days Gone being the bigger launch by a considerable margin, and at a much slower time of year no less. I expected DS to be very much front loaded with the Kojima fans early adopting.

I'm sure Sony will be pretty damn happy having the two biggest new IP launches of the year either way.

I mean, it's no surprise that zombies are more mainstream than whatever Kojima's pushing.