• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Although Far Cry managed to top the charts, it isn't an especially impressive opening week. The game's launch week sales are 86.5 per cent down over last year's Far Cry 5. Of course, this is a spin-off Far Cry title, and so the comparison isn't overly fair. Yet even compared to 2016's Far Cry Primal (the previous spin-off), sales are a fraction of what we'd typically expect (Far Cry Primal sold almost four times as many units in its first week as New Dawn has).

60 per cent of Far Cry: New Dawn sales came on PS4, 39 per cent on Xbox One, with the rest on PC (physical sales only).

-

A company that will likely be feeling happier with the result this week is Deep Silver. Metro Exodus missed out on No.1 by just 2,000 units. Yet more significantly, the game has posted a better opening week than 2013's Metro Last Light (released on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC). This result is even more impressive when you consider the growth of digital sales in the six years between the two titles (digital game sales are not counted in this data).

Launch physical sales for Metro Exodus are almost 50 per cent higher than Last Light. 57 per cent of Metro Exodus sales came on PS4.

-

Next up in terms of new releases is Bandai Namco's Jump Force at No.4. Its a strong opening performance for the fighting game, and continues an impressive few weeks for the publisher (following recent strong sales of Tales Of and Ace Combat). The game performed best on PS4, accounting for 76 per cent of the game's launch sales.

-

The most disappointing launch of the week belongs to Microsoft's Crackdown 3, which only made No.13. The game's launch sales are barely 10 per cent of what Crackdown 2 managed in 2010. Of course, the industry was very different back then. Xbox 360 was the market leading console, digital sales were not as significant as they are today (again, only physical is counted here) and Crackdown 3 will likely have picked up a fair few users via the Xbox Game Pass subscription service (which isn't included here).

Crackdown 3 sold about 4.000 units.
Crackdown 2 debuted in week 27, 2010 selling roughly 35,000 units in its first week and 75,000 units in its first month.

-

Top 10

1. Far Cry: New Dawn
2. Metro: Exodus
3. Red Dead Redemption 2
4. Jump Force
5. FIFA 19
6. Resident Evil II
7. New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
8. Kingdom Hearts III
9. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
10. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4

-

Digital is still being worked on.

-

Source

Last edited:

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
4,000 units?! I'm genuinely shocked. Even with digital and gamepass that's a very poor showing for Xbox's second largest market...

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
4000 for Crackdown? Ouch. Game Pass might save the game, though.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
4000 units? Guess it really is a Game Pass game. Also, fan service is saving the trainwreck that is Jump Force huh?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
4000 units for crackdown 3 launch week sales is abysmal no matter how you look at it.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone willing to bet against Microsoft sending out a presser claiming X millions of people have "played" Crackdown 3 or X amount of hours were spent...blowing stuff up?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate Microsoft's willingness to not give up on Crackdown 3, but seems like maybe they should have. Weird what they will cancel (i.e. Scalebound) and what they will keep on chipping away at.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
New Dawn should not be compared to FC5

But Primal is a fair comparison, and Primal sold 4x more than ND? wow that's pretty bad then

Exodus selling 50% more physical than LL is also very surprising to me

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I know it doesn't factor in Gamepass or digital, but that's still super bad for Crackdown 3.

I thought the game + controller for £60 or the game + 12 months live for £50 bundles would have at least helped it a bit.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Damn at those Crackdown 3 numbers. I never would have tried it if not for Gamepass, but I'm enjoying it so much I will probably buy it. Incredibly fun.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only 4000 units sold in one of the XBO 'strong' markets shows you how bad Crackdown 3 is doing and how bad it actually is as a game. Screaming 'fun' over and over again doesn't help. As Jim Sterling said in his latest video. 'It's rubbish'.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
This is why Gamepass exists.

But isn't that same Gamepass also boosting actual sales ?
I'm sure I read that somewhere

200.gif

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
4000 for Crackdown? Ouch. Game Pass might save the game, though.

This is an interesting scenario. An MS game on gamepass with low hype, hyper criticism, but is actually a great sequel to a dated but fun game series.

I could see a lot of people being driven to try it on Gamepass first, which could mean it's driving gamepass subscriptions up. If people end up liking it once actually playing it, which seems to be happening for a lot of people on this board, especially if you ljke the original Crackdown, it could see it having good word of mouth.

It will be interesting to see if the game ends up selling or pushing Gamepass sales in the long run.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to lump Crackdown into this when it's on Gamepass and people can play it basically for free. Really happy for Metro, though.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
With these numbers it becomes once again perfectly clear why XB is going all in with Gamepass.
They just cant make it in the traditional gaming market with anything besides their biggest 3 franchises.
I wish them the best, but 4k in their second biggest market is just yikes.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
But isn't that same Gamepass also boosting actual sales ?
I'm sure I read that somewhere

200.gif
I think Game Pass is going to boost games that are well received and negatively impact games that players are not impressed with. I'd expect it to amplify word of mouth, both positive and negative.

Edit: They should have cancelled Crackdown 3 instead of Scalebound though.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glad Far Cry New Dawn is #1 regardless of pretty low sales. For a budget $40 game it's great.