• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
It's hilarious how no one knows how much games make money on Game Pass but the narrative for every MS game will be that Game Pass prevents it from being a bomba.

They really did quite the PR spinnage with that service.
CD3 is a bomba without a doubt on the mind but it is going to be difficult going forward. I know many people including myself are using Netflix or other streaming services as an example, but if a Netflix movie has 100M budget, at what point does it "break even"?

How many hours played or "unique players" that are introduced by Game Pass are needed for a game to be considered a "success"? I'm still surprised by the review thread and this one by how many people expected this game to be good, this game had disaster written all over it for years now.

The real question is if Game Pass can at least push some life into projects like this or not.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Lol when they promised it would 4K60, didn't realize they were talking about opening sales and the metacritic score :-P
tenor.gif

With these numbers in the UK, The games first week should be less than 20k in Europe at retail.
Aren't about half of xbox European hardware sales in the UK? So by that metric total retail for C3 could be under 10k?

Jan 20, 2019
CD3 is a bomba without a doubt on the mind but it is going to be difficult going forward. I know many people including myself are using Netflix or other streaming services as an example, but if a Netflix movie has 100M budget, at what point does it "break even"?

How many hours played or "unique players" that are introduced by Game Pass are needed for a game to be considered a "success"? I'm still surprised by the review thread and this one by how many people expected this game to be good, this game had disaster written all over it for years now.

The real question is if Game Pass can at least push some life into projects like this or not.

That's the reason Netflix doens't do bluckbusters, it doens't pay off.
Gamepass is not making any money, especialy know with users getting 2 months for 2 $, it is like a open service for 2 months.

They make money with the online service, the real question is, can the online cover the money they loss on GP?

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
That's the reason Netflix doens't do bluckbusters, it doens't pay off.
Gamepass is not making any money, especialy know with users getting 2 months for 2 $, it is like a open service for 2 months.

They make money with the online service, the real question is, can the online cover the money they loss on GP?
That's true. CD3 having a bad multiplayer must've sealed the deal on it. I don't see it having a resurgence like Sea of Thieves.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I think I remember the stats were something like:

30% of lifetime sales Day One.
30% of lifetime sales Week One (excluding Day One).
30% of lifetime sales Month One (excluding Day One and Week One).
10% rest of life.
There's really no hard and fast rule when it comes to sales. Some games have long legs while some don't.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly those 4.000 people messed up when they could've played the game for 2 bucks.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Fun Fact:

If you combine the opening sales of this weeks new games, which are Far Cry New Dawn, Metro Exodus, Jump Force and Crackdown 3, the total is less than half of what Crash Bandicoot Trilogy sold in its first week on PS4. (Packaged sales comp)

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Fun Fact:

If you combine the opening sales of this weeks new games, which are Far Cry New Dawn, Metro Exodus, Jump Force and Crackdown 3, the total is less than half of what Crash Bandicoot Trilogy sold in its first week on PS4. (Packaged sales comp)
Well damn. We knew Crash killed it, but this puts things in better perspective.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Crackdown 3 didn't do well but I don't think they expected it to at this point.

But according to the other thread people are playing it, it's number 3 on most played game for xbox.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n36503/xbox-gameplay-chart-week-ending-february-17th-2019

Which I guess means gamepass doing it's job in making a failed game sales wise something people play?

Guess I don't understand people in that thread talking about new metrics in gauging a game? Like it still hasn't sold well? Gamepass costs almost nothing with all the free trials and 2$ months you can get.

Money to the developer is up front correct? Like a sum of money is given to indies upfront for launching on the service similar to PS+.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
But according to the other thread people are playing it, it's number 3 on most played game for xbox.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n36503/xbox-gameplay-chart-week-ending-february-17th-2019

Which I guess means gamepass doing it's job in making a failed game sales wise something people play?

Guess I don't understand people in that thread talking about new metrics in gauging a game? Like it still hasn't sold well? Gamepass costs almost nothing with all the free trials and 2$ months you can get.

Money to the developer is up front correct? Like a sum of money is given to indies upfront for launching on the service similar to PS+.

Yes, for third parties.

No idea how the contracts with a external studio making a first party game would work.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, EraGaf is having a FEAST with Crackdown 3. Some stuff never changes, huh. I personally think the game is mediocre but boy, this forum sometimes...

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone willing to bet against Microsoft sending out a presser claiming X millions of people have "played" Crackdown 3 or X amount of hours were spent...blowing stuff up?

Not sure why you put played in air quotes. It's a much more accurate metric than the number of units sold.

This isn't 2013.

If this game got 100,000 or 1m to sign up for a game pass trial, that is what it'll be judged by internally. Think of it as a one off micro transaction in a free to play game.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Fun Fact:

Can't wait to see how strong first week CTR will have.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Not sure why you put played in air quotes. It's a much more accurate metric than the number of units sold.

No it's not. You can get a better gauge of how much money a game made a company because a $60 game is a $60 game. With engagement metrics you need to look at how many used a free trial, how many used the $2 offer, how many continued to sub and how many subbed for the game. All info we will not get from "unique players" and info we will never get from Microsoft.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
No it's not. You can get a better gauge of how much money a game made a company because a $60 game is a $60 game. With engagement metrics you need to look at how many used a free trial, how many used the $2 offer, how many continued to sub and how many subbed for the game. All info we will not get from "unique players" and info we will never get from Microsoft.

If MS get 40m gamepass subscribers, they won't care if they don't sell a single hard copy of a game. It'd be like Netflix bemoaning a film they make doing badly during it's 2 week cinema run.

MS will be tracking data re:overall subscribers, new sign ups per game, play durations, player retention, micro transactions etc. Units sold isn't their thing any more.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If MS get 40m gamepass subscribers, they won't care if they don't sell a single hard copy of a game. It'd be like Netflix bemoaning a film they make doing badly during it's 2 week cinema run.

40m (not sure where you are even getting a number like that when there have only been a little over 40m consoles sold) at $2 is not going to make them huge amounts of money is it? Or the free trial?

MS will be tracking data re:overall subscribers, new sign ups per game, play durations, player retention, micro transactions etc.

Ok so when do we get that information?

Units sold isn't their thing any more.

Because they don't sell the units that the other big 2 are, unfortunately.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
40m (not sure where you are even getting a number like that when there have only been a little over 40m consoles sold) at $2 is not going to make them huge amounts of money is it? Or the free trial?

Ok so when do we get that information?

Because they don't sell the units that the other big 2 are, unfortunately.

Because MS are moving a a model where owning their console is only one of the ways you can be their customer and buying a game is only one of the ways to consume their content. And they are aiming for more than 40m subs over the next few years.

In 3 years I'll be playing Halo Infinite on my mobile/tablet having not bought a copy of the game and maybe not even an Xbox.

The main measure of success for xbox in future will be revenue from services. Live/GP subs will be much more important than games sold.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
That's a depressing future I want no part in.

Why? What are you afraid of? They'll still be building consoles you can buy and discs you can collect.

At least for the next 10 years.

They'll take it slowly but soon most gamers will think that owning physical media is just what us old people do, like owning CDs or, increasingly, Blu Rays.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Being totally honest, I feel like I wasted £2 on Crackdown 3. Maybe I'll be able to find something else on Game Pass to make up for that.