• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm not salty that they'll brag about some player numbers. I'm just talking about when that moment comes I don't want to see anyone laughing at anyone when we call out that most of those people played it on Game Pass. The game sold 4,000 units in the second biggest Xbox market first week. Any significant amount of player numbers they tout will be from Game Pass.

Wait, when people were talking about Gamepass in combination with game sales, that was in regards of things like SoD2 topping the NPD and Sea of Thieves being #1 in the UK Charts, right?

I'm sure Crackdown is selling like dogshit. I would not understand why people would pay €60 for Crackdown 3. And I'm having quite some fun with it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Amazing news for Metro Exodus.
Anyone willing to bet against Microsoft sending out a presser claiming X millions of people have "played" Crackdown 3 or X amount of hours were spent...blowing stuff up?
I wouldn't be surprised. I've never seen so many people on my friends list playing the same game as I have this weekend aside from maybe RDR2. I doubt they'll still be playing it for much longer though.

Oct 26, 2017
Well deserved for Metro, I'm totally engrossed in it. Some of the bigger devs may wanna take notes from it on making a compelling game world.

Aug 26, 2018
Xbox GP numbers will be interesting.

I think the Digital Split is 70:30 or somewhere along these lines for 3 reasons : Xbox GP, Play Anywhere and a freaking 60$ price point.

Assuming that and with 1 week of tracking, we are looking at approximately 10,000 ( 4,000 in 2 days) physical copies, with a 70% Digital split, its approximately 35,000 copies in 1 week ( Physical + Digital). Thats only in the UK.

Assuming the share of US is 60% and the digital split is similar, we are looking at 168,000 copies in its first week ( Out of 41 Mill consoles sold and UK selling close to 5 million would put the share of UK at 12.5%), the rest of Europe and world included will be 77,000.

So, adding them all up would give us approximately 280,000 units in the first week which isn't terrible but disappointing. If the game is frontloaded, we are looking at a lifetime number of around 1 million, but depends on post launch updates & MP improvements.

(Lot of assumptions though ;) )

Oct 27, 2017
How does Crackdown 3's numbers compare to other Day 1 Gamepass games. Only 4k is awful.
No matter how MS is going to spin this. The game is 10h long and the MP will die like a fly. No one is going to stay subscribed to GP because of CD3. It's a bomba. People using the 2$ offers to play CD3 and then unsubscribing are doing it right.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every UK retail thread is the same. Games sell shit then we find out that the game is doing gangbusters everywhere else. Far cry new dawn will not of cost a lot to make so it won't be too bad

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

giphy.gif

Well, people did say it was perfect for Game Pass.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Forza Horizon 4 and Sea of Thieves did good at retail. State of Decay 2 did okay in the UK, but topped NPD for the month.

This is the first 'bomba' for Microsoft since they announced the Gamepass day one thing.
Thanks, I think SoD could be an interesting comparisons, as it probably received a similar amount of marketing and wasn't well bundle. But base on it being the first bomba, I doubt it because of Gamepass and more just a lack of interest in Crackdown.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming that and with 1 week of tracking, we are looking at approximately 10,000 ( 4,000 in 2 days) physical copies, with a 70% Digital split, its approximately 35,000 copies in 1 week ( Physical + Digital). Thats only in the UK.

(Lot of assumptions though ;) )
It's lucky to even chart next week. 15k max with digital is my guess for first week sales.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see actual numbers for Phil's statement that Gamepass helps games sell more. For a game like CD3, I just don't see how it's possible. I know this is a UK thread and we've had issues deriving any sort of conclusions worldwide from that in the past.

4000 people having fun and supporting fun games. Good for them.

Shame about the rest of you.

Is this referencing a meme or something?

Aug 26, 2018
It's lucky to even chart next week. 15k max with digital is my guess for first week sales.

So, Digital will sell 5k in 1 week where as physical copies in 2 days is 4k? That doesn't make any sense.

Xbox games have a much higher digital share and especially for this game with a 60$ price point, I expect the digital split as high as 80% even.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see actual numbers for Phil's statement that Gamepass helps games sell more. For a game like CD3, I just don't see how it's possible. I know this is a UK thread and we've had issues deriving any sort of conclusions worldwide from that in the past.

Is this referencing a meme or something?
I mean if the game came back and sold 5,000 next week his statement would technically be true. It's just the result would still be pathetic even if it was.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
So, Digital will sell 5k in 1 week where as physical copies in 2 days is 4k? That doesn't make any sense.

Xbox games have a much higher digital share and especially for this game with a 60$ price point, I expect the digital split as high as 80% even.
Majority of sales happen on release day, physical may not even reach 4 figures next week.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Are you counting Game Pass as sales of the game? Because otherwise I don't see how a game that's probably more expensive digitally is going to have more a sales split like that.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Dawn for me has 0 interest especially since I'm still trying to finish 5 and odyssey.

Hunt: ubisoft dont pad out your games with so much filler if you want people to buy your next ones so soon.

Aug 26, 2018
Are you counting Game Pass as sales of the game? Because otherwise I don't see how a game that's probably more expensive digitally is going to have more a sales split like that.

If gamers buy from the Windows store which is a small number, yes digital can be expensive, otherwise, its the same 60$ if you buy on Amazon/Target/Best Buy online.

No, I calculated it without GP.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, word of mouth regarding controls just continues to bury Red Dead. Sad.

/s

And whooo, Metro!

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the plan is to release a pretty barebones product and update crackdown over time to make it good. Like Sea of Thieves?

Maybe that is the gamepass strategy for lower tier first party games?

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Crackdown a big IP in the UK?

I can't thjnm of any of my gaming friends who have ever played a previous entry

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Crackbomba 3, damn even the twitch numbers are poor.

I reckon a 2-3 years earlier release would have made for a muuuch better launch. Seems the IP has been out in the cold too long.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah its a bad week since the #1 game sold a quarter of primal
To be fair, Primal was the best selling February game ever. But yes, both Metro and New Dawn had a soft retail launch in the UK.

Interestingly, New Dawn has 24 hour concurrent player peaks of 16k on PC, which puts it on par with Far Cry 4, and a bit above Primal.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
I'm not salty that they'll brag about some player numbers. I'm just talking about when that moment comes I don't want to see anyone laughing at anyone when we call out that most of those people played it on Game Pass. The game sold 4,000 units in the second biggest Xbox market first week. Any significant amount of player numbers they tout will be from Game Pass.
Who cares if most of the audience played via Gamepass? The reason MS release their own games on Gamepass day 1 is to drive subscriptions.

Them "bragging" about engagement is totally reasonable.