• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
FIFA 19 is already the biggest UK video game of 2018, but its opening week physical sales have fallen sharply.

The game's week one sales are down 25% compared with FIFA 18's arrival one year ago.

Of course, these GfK figures only factor in physical games sold and does not include downloads. The numbers suggest that this year's FIFA either had a comparatively disappointing first week, or there has been a sharp acceleration in the movement from physical to digital. Or, perhaps more likely, a combination of both.

The PS4 version of FIFA 19 accounted for 64% of sales, with Xbox One accounting for 35% and the Switch version the remaining 1%. Sales of the games on legacy platforms (Xbox 360, PS3) were negligible.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-takes-no-1-but-physical-launch-sales-plummet

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how much of this is to do with the price of the game. This is the first FIFA I can remember not being under £50 on the high street. Digitally the game is £60 as well so I'm not too sure how many people would have opted for that either.

Oct 30, 2017
So uh with numbers like that when is the Switch getting legacy editioned?

tumblr_oxs9wgU3OH1sc0ffqo3_540.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much of this is to do with the price of the game. This is the first FIFA I can remember not being under £50 on the high street. Digitally the game is £60 as well so I'm not too sure how many people would have opted for that either.

Nailed it for me. It's normally between £40-45 I think, this year it's over £50 even in the supermarkets. I did toy with getting it digitally seeing as the physical version of last years game is worth nothing as trade in, but yeah its up around £60 which is too much for me.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is holding MUCH better compared to Rise. Two weeks at #2 and 3rd week just one spot drop is really impressive.

Rise debuted at #4 and by next week it was out of TOP 5 i think.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
it seems to me that more people start to move to digital instead of physical and more games prove that

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
UK consumers are surely among the most price-sensitive in the world, from what I've observed over years of these sales threads. If this year's edition of FIFA was ~20% more expensive than usual / other AAA games, then I would say that's a key reason for its underperformance.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Yeah, I'd argue as well that the WC helped Fifa 18 sales.

More surprised that the amount of Fifa units sold on Switch stays as low as that. I bought 18 myself on there and while it's a tad downgraded overall, it's still a great game for portable play.
But I guess Fifa on PS4 especially has completely cemented its place.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is holding MUCH better compared to Rise. Two weeks at #2 and 3rd week just one spot drop is really impressive.

Shadow is great so it's good to see that it's holding strong. As I said in the OT, it's biggest flaw is really a bizarre lack of polish (although it's nothing terrible). It's definitely my favorite post-Core developed TR.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I were still playing footie games, I would definitely buy it digital cos it's just so nice hopping on for the odd game here and there without changing disks. So it's not surprising physical sales have dipped. It's the ideal game for digital.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Biggest UK video game of 2018 already? So it's beaten God of War / Spiderman's total sales to date in 1 day, purely with physical copies? That's either INSANE sales numbers or a mistake.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
About Spiderman
Sony's game is now the second best-selling game of the year as it has overtaken Far Cry 5 in just four weeks. It's an impressive achievement for the PS4 title, as it is only available on one platform
Amazing

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Crash and Spidey have some really good legs. The former in particular, whew. When are we getting a brand new Crash game? What about a Crash Team Racing remaster?!

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biggest UK video game of 2018 already? So it's beaten God of War / Spiderman's total sales to date in 1 day, purely with physical copies? That's either INSANE sales numbers or a mistake.

it's fifa

Legs.... right? People claimed 18 edition last year sold very well on Switch. I personally would have like to see the receipts from EA like we see from indies like every couple of weeks. Not hard.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...satisfied-with-fifa-switch-sales-more-to-come

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018

FIFA 19 is already the biggest UK video game of 2018, but its opening week physical sales have fallen sharply.

I read this part as 'as of today, date of the article, it's the best selling game in the UK including digital sales, but the first week (basically day one) sales were down from last year'.

Still impressive nonetheless.

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There was a discount for those who had EA Access and/or FIFA 18, so I assume that digital was a bigger factor this year.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England

Comparing Shadow to Rise in the UK isn't the best of comparisons considering Rise was Xbox exclusive and UK is Sony land.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
"UK consumers are some of the most price sensitive in the world"

Yeah, this would hold up for any other game, but not FIFA. It's a must buy for a shit load of consumers. Price sensitivity will lead folks to look for deals etc, but they'll still buy the game no matter what.