• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
Luigi's Mansion 3 has eclipsed The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and Super Mario Maker 2 to become the fastest-selling physical Switch game of 2019.

It performed this feat in part because it was on sale for 24 hours longer than either of those other two titles, as Nintendo released the ghost-hunting adventure on Halloween, which was a Thursday rather than the usual Friday.

It may still come as a surprise that a Luigi-fronted game performed ahead of Zelda and Mario, but Nintendo had a lot of faith that this could be a significant release for Switch. The title received headline billing during E3 this year, and the last game in the franchise (Luigi's Mansion 2 on 3DS) sold 5.5 million copies worldwide.

Physical launch sales of Luigi's Mansion 3 are actually 140% higher than its predecessor (released way back in March 2013), and that doesn't include digital sales (Nintendo does not share digital figures and digital is not included in this chart).

Don't expect Luigi to hold this record for long though, with Pokémon Sword and Shield set to arrive later this month.

Luigi's Mansion 3 was the best-selling new game this week, but it had to settle for No.2 because Call of Duty: Modern Warfare remains at the top by quite a large margin. It's actually an impressive second week for the shooter, with sales down just 49% from its launch week.

The only other new game in the chart this week is the Disney double-pack featuring the classic Aladdin and The Lion King platformers. The nostalgic set debuts at No.12 and was published by Nighthawk Interactive. It sold best on Switch (representing 48% of sales), followed by PS4 (38%) and then Xbox One (14%). As before, this is just the physical data.

Last edited:

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It sold well particularly because it was (accidentally) a part of a two for £60 deal at Tesco.

I took advantage of said deal to buy it for later.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
- Great launch for LM3, +140% vs LM2 is a great result !
- CoD is doing very well right now, small second week drop
- PvZ is one of the surprises of October
- Despite some stock issues, Ring Fit is still beasting (only down 21% WoW)

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So over 50k with digital is pretty much a guarantee. Maybe even 60.

That's excellent.

Oct 26, 2017
- PvZ is one of the surprises of October

Yup and not only that.

The game was launched in Early Access one month prior to the October release and it still did good despite being available for purchase through September for 30 bucks instead of 40.
The EA game has only been out three weeks and it's sold more in its third week than it did in its first. The title has actually been popular as a digital release according to the GSD digital charts.

Also EA has very low expectations for the game

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
It deserves this because it is the most charming switch game to have been released this year.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
This is extra impressive as the shop near me didn't even have it on shelves as they thought it was out on Friday, though that huge Tesco deal might have boosted sale.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I can't find functional bounds for Luigi's Mansion 3, unfortunately. Lower bound is 37k (minimum possible number for Link's Awakening), upper bound is 91k (2.4 times the upper limit for LM2).

LM3 number is very strong. In order to hit 3x LM2, it needs to have a digital share of 17%, which is not at all impossible (vouchers are still available in Europe). Of course, this assumes 3DS with 0% digital.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This is hugely impressive:
Overall boxed sales are only down 23% week-on-week, which is a strong result post-Call of Duty.

COD drop being only 49% helps a lot, and LM3 having a strong debut does, too. But overall software legs must be quite strong (in fact, Dring remarks that strong Switch sales are a significant factor, what with software being boosted along with it).

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017
Yup and not only that.

The game was launched in Early Access one month prior to the October release and it still did good despite being available for purchase through September for 30 bucks instead of 40.

Also EA has very low expectations for the game
I've noticed way more tv ads for it the past week, way more than the run upto or after launch.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Great, LM2 was a surprise hit and this is going to beat those numbers. Such a fantastic game!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This is crazy as well:
A recent release that is proving surprisingly robust is Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville. The EA game has only been out three weeks and it's sold more in its third week than it did in its first. The title has actually been popular as a digital release according to the GSD digital charts.
Legs are huge, which is somewhat explicable due to the late announcement, but still crazy.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
top 10:
screenshot2019-11-04afwj0r.png

great start for luigi's mansion
great legs for the outer worlds and ring fit
mario kart 8 will never stop selling
medievil is... i don't know. better than i expected but not that great considering the price.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Yeeeeeees, I wanna see Luigi hit that 10M mark with this entry, people must know this is one of Nintendo's strongest IPs

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
GR Breakpoint must have had a rise or very small drop this week, considering it rose past Ring Fit despite the latter dropping only 21%.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Also, looks like the Disney double-pack had a good start, debuting at #12 with a 48%/38%/14% split (NSW/PS4/XB1)

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
The only other new game in the chart this week is the Disney double-pack featuring the classic Aladdin and The Lion King platformers. The nostalgic set debuts at No.12 and was published by Nighthawk Interactive. It sold best on Switch (representing 48% of sales), followed by PS4 (38%) and then Xbox One (14%). As before, this is just the physical data.

Collections of Disney roms seems really strong on Switch. Maybe Capcom will see this and release Disney Afternoon Collection on it.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Collections of Disney roms seems really strong on Switch. Maybe Capcom will see this and release Disney Afternoon Collection on it.
Do you really want to have one game on the cart and rest be download only priced at 29.99? :p

Ah wait no, it's Europe, so download only at 29.99 pounds :p

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people don't realize Luigi's Mansion 2 sold 6 million globally. With the Switch boost, it's going to be huge.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait tio play Luigi's - bought it for my birthday so can't play it until tomorrow. My daughter will be playing it with me.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Another game showing legs (excuse the pun) is Ring Fit Adventure. The Nintendo Switch fitness game was also released three weeks ago, and it sold more in its second week than its first. This week sales have only dipped 21% and it remains at No.7.

Strong Sales still.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
top 10:
screenshot2019-11-04afwj0r.png

great start for luigi's mansion
great legs for the outer worlds and ring fit
mario kart 8 will never stop selling
medievil is... i don't know. better than i expected but not that great considering the price.
The Outer Worlds and MediEvil dropped by almost identical percentages, you can't judge only based on chart positions.

In the EMEAA charts MediEvil is in 3rd place, only behind CoD and Fifa.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm positively surprised by MediEvil's performance in both the UK and the EMEAA chart.

Plants vs Zombies and Ring Fit Adventure have great holds. They will be good performers over the holidays.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Outer Worlds and MediEvil dropped by almost identical percentages, you can't judge only based on chart positions.

In the EMEAA charts MediEvil is in 3rd place, only behind CoD and Fifa.
Yeah lol, that's a great result for MediEvil no matter how you look at it, no one expected it to be in the top 10 first week let alone second week too, and the EMEA performance is amazing.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Congrats to NLG. Luigi's Mansion is one of Nintendo's best IPs, and I'm happy to see it doing so well. LM3 is easily my GOTY.