• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
All numbers are physical only !

Avengers : ~ 56k copies (Thanks DarkDetective)
  • Less than 1/3 of Spider-Man launch
  • +2 vs Shadow of Tomb Raider
  • Platform split (PS4 : 73% / One : 27%)
Spider-Man : 190k
Shadow of Tomb Raider : 55k

Some sales of third-party to compare
  • Jedi Fallen Order : 87k
  • AC Odyssey : 72k
  • RE2 Remake : 70k
  • FF7 Remake : 57-67k (during lockdowns)
  • The Division 2 : 55k
  • Anthem : 42k

Tony Hawk PS 1+2 :
  • +448% vs Tony Hawk 5 (2015)
  • Best selling Tony Hawk game since at least 2006
  • Platform split (PS4 : 74% / One : 26%)
NBA 2K21 :
  • -37% vs NBA 2K20 launch

pcKoUUF.png

www.gamesindustry.biz

Marvel's Avengers defeats Tony Hawk and NBA to claim No.1 | UK Charts

It's an all-new Top Three in the UK physical retail charts this week, led by Square Enix's ambitious new Avengers game …

Last edited:

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eh. This is not expected. I honestly thought this would sell gangbusters on behalf of the IP alone.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean the superhero craze is over, GaaS being a red flag or the game's quality is bad? (haven't played it).

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Never expected to see the game matching Spider-Man but with Digital and the Deluxe Edition I expect Marvel's Avengers to have sold way more than Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Half expected, I can see sales picking up though in the later weeks, especially whenever the new consoles launch

Jun 14, 2018
Considering two platforms are tracked on this list, selling less than a third of a game that came out on one platform two years ago to a smaller install base hopefully displays to publishers - or at least to Marvel - that we don't want a Destiny style GaaS Avengers game. We wanted an awesome story-based game with drop-in/drop-out co-op.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
That is really bad considering that Spiderman is an exclusive

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
If we factor in DD sales it's most likely at around 70k which not bad .
It will all depends on how much legs it and new console could also help.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Considering two platforms are tracked on this list, selling less than a third of a game that came out on one platform two years ago to a smaller install base hopefully displays to publishers - or at least to Marvel - that we don't want a Destiny style GaaS Avengers game. We wanted an awesome story-based game with drop-in/drop-out co-op.
But you did get an awesome story based game.

Chuck795

May 7, 2020
Isn't this physical only..? Digital sales are way higher right now, so let's hold the theatrics about how Avengers is failing.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Shit. That much less than spiderman? Didnt expect that.
It was a huge mistake giving the IP to square Enix.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ouch. i'm surprised. i thought even if the game isn't gonna have legs, it's gonna have a huge launch.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Expected. The word of mouth for the "most downloaded beta in Playstation history" was pretty bad and probably hurt the sales.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
That is really bad considering that Spiderman is an exclusive

I never understand why people use this argument for sales.

There are several multiplatform games that sell way more than some exclusive titles and there are EXCLUSIVE titles that sell more than multiplatform games.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Good, even if the campaign is decent, the technical issues, bugs, Gaas and gameplay probably hurt the game a little, we'll see if the will have legs or not, the big news is that the game will be cheap pretty soon.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Digital or not, Avengers' launch ain't touching Spider-man's in the UK. If anything, this goes to show how crazy incredible Spider-man's success was, not SO much that Avengers is underperforming.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Jeeeze.

I don't know how representative of the market UK sales are, but I expected the name alone would lead to a huge launch.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
That Spider-Man numbers.....any other superhero games comparing to it almost seems unfair.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly thought this was going to perform much better. 2% over Shadow of the Tomb Raider is... Very lukewarm.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
This should be the least surprising news ever.

Most people are not buying physical in a global pandemic. Digital is way up across the board right now. There was no universe where Avengers was going to sell anywhere near the physical copies of Spiderman.

I'm sure the digital sales are popping, especially on PS4.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
GREAT news for Tony Hawk, it's well deserved. Hoping this means the series is back in business after a decade of missteps. Hopefully this leads to the same treatment for 3+4, maybe Underground 1+2, and a true sequel that the series really deserves, unlike 5.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
If those are physical/retail only then it doesn't say much, mostly because Spiderman launched before the pandemic. If it's all copies then this is probably under expectations.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, can't say I'm too bummed about this when a game goes this hard on MTX.

Deleted member 76539

Banned
Jul 31, 2020
I don't think Avengers is gonna light up the charts or anything but I do think the digital number is gonna be the far more important one.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I never understand why people use this argument for sales.

There are several multiplatform games that sell way more than some exclusive titles and there are EXCLUSIVE titles that sell more than multiplatform games.
It's because the top games sell more if they are multi platform. TLOU2 would be the best selling game of this generation if it was multi platform.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get why anyone even cares that the Avengers game exists. Is it really as simple as "it has comic book people so i like it"?

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
It's GAAS, Destiny 2 and Division 2 sold like shit in retail too. What's the point of buying such game on a disc.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Embarrassing tbh, maybe don't deflate sales on 2 of 3 platforms but telling them they're getting a worse version of the same game for the same price, maybe don't make a game that's only really good after 10 weeks of patches. Maybe don't market 5 gum skins and Verizon skins, fans probably bought so much gum they couldn't afford the game.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Since its physical only and with COVID right now these numbers dont tell us much about the success of the game imo.

Hope the game fails after that Spider-Man nonsense.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's the kind of game that'll probably have a decent digital chunk of sales, especially with the digital early access. And do well in later weeks as I only started seeing marketing for the game start up on Friday.

Oct 27, 2017
Hope this is a sign customers are getting that GaaS fatigue.
It's an instant turn off for me at least, together with "multiplayer only", "gacha", "season pass" and all other current bullshit trends

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Does this mean the superhero craze is over, GaaS being a red flag or the game's quality is bad? (haven't played it).
Absolutely not, digital sales will be absurd for this game. 5M shipped copies in the first month imo, i know it's crazy but I totally expect this game to pull it off. I will be waiting for everybody that says this result is embarrassing when the data of the first month drops.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
With the pandemic situation, I imagine digital sales are also up, plus all the early start digital offers and editions.