• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you think it had more to do with it being mediocre?

I was under the impression it was just very, very similar to the previous two games? I haven't really kept up with it, to be honest, but that's the impression I got from some reviews and hands-on thoughts.

Though I do think release timing played a role as well.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Lara needs her own tomb now.
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
That Spider-Man hold is really good.

Impressively, the Sony game's week two sales are down just 42% compared to its launch week, and it's already on the brink of eclipsing the sales of the last big PS4 exclusive: God of War (boxed sales only).

Yep, Spidey is going to take the 'fastest selling exclusive' record from GoW.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Spider-man down only 48% sounds really good. What would we expect from the average AAA game?

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to disentangle a 78 Metacritic from a terrible release date.

Both didn't help its sales be somewhat underwhelming.

I'm sure it will eventually reach 4-5m though but I doubt it will be revisited for like 7-10 years.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tomb Raider in all three versions (Standard, Deluxe Digital, Croft Edition) have been topping the steam sales for the whole week. Digital sales are the future.

Yep, it's doing really well on Steam. Steamspy puts day 1 sales between 200K and 500K.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So Spider-Man could potentially be at around 320k sales already in physical sales alone, in just two weeks and in just the UK. That's crazy impressive.

SotTR sales don't actually seem that strong to me. 25% above what the last game managed on just the Xbox One. Granted the digital split will be higher this time around.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
''Last week's big new releases drop further down the charts. Sales of Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age fell 86% week-on-week ''

I mean I guess that is normal JRPG drop but still disappointing as the game is so goood.

It's a normal drop, but it must be slightly disappointing considering it means DQXI will be far behind DQIX in the UK.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
''Last week's big new releases drop further down the charts. Sales of Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age fell 86% week-on-week ''

I mean I guess that is normal JRPG drop but still disappointing as the game is so goood.
For comparison DQ IX actually grew wow in the 2nd week

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Tomb Raider is actually a great game. It's not some sort of brilliant master piece but it's really worth playing if you like typical Uncharted type games. Also the visuals are amazing

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
When Activision announced that they were delaying Spyro that should've been Square's signal to push TR back to at least Spyro's original date. That'd at least given it a bit more breathing room following Spider-Man's release. The game still looks like it'll do fine, especially since we aren't seeing digital sales. But there was no reason to release it just a week after Spider-Man.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you read the OP still sold more on PS4, had no effect at all.

That doesn't mean it didn't have an effect. Tomb Raider will probably always be most successful on PlayStation when the games actually launch at the same time, but this franchise has been mishandled in recent years and low(ish) sales are a result of that (not to mention the game itself doesn't seem to push the series forward in any meaningful way + the release timing is pretty bad).

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Disappointing news for Tomb Raider. Hopefully sales pick up or it just has consistent sales through the holidays.

From what I've played so far I think it's amazing. I've stopped playing Spider-man in favor of TR and will get back to Spider-man...eventually.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the best game in the trilogy with the best exploration out of them and it has a gorgeous world.

it deserves better.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
63% of Shadow sales being on PS4 tells me that the brand wasn't damaged at all from the Rise exclusivity deal. At least in the U.K.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I feel bad because I want SE (and the devs of course) to do well, but I just have no interest in this run of Tomb Raider.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind rise launched on xbox around the same week as Fallout 4 and bombed real bad, so this one only doing 25% better than that with 2 more platforms is...really bad.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
You don't think giving up the PS4 to its competitors has harmed PUBG?

Harmed what?
PUBG sold 50 million copies, Sony didn't want PUBG on PS4 because it was too early access, MS funded the console port and Bluehole did the job.
Nothing was harmed, and you are really comparing PUBG with TR? Come on man.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Well maybe this is why the TR devs should have been worried....

Spider-Man has clearly stolen the spotlight and anything releasing near it is bound to get passed over

Yep. All those Xbox gamers playing Spiderman and having no time for Tomb Raider /s

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Keep in mind rise launched on xbox around the same week as Fallout 4 and bombed real bad, so this one only doing 25% better than that with 2 more platforms is...really bad.

Digital not included, so you can discard PC, highly doubt physical PC games are even a thing in the UK anymore.
Rise also launched on X360.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
63% of Shadow sales being on PS4 tells me that the brand wasn't damaged at all from the Rise exclusivity deal. At least in the U.K.

Not necessarily. Shows that despite the exclusivity deal, Xbox owners still care less for the franchise, and the exclusivity deal could have hurt the franchise's overall awareness and brand reach.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On a side note, DQXI is going to be significantly down compared to DQIX in UK. The latter had great legs unlike what seems to be the case in UK with DQXI.
I expect significantly better sales in France (like always with JRPG) but I think that overall western sales will be lower than DQIX.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Harmed what?
PUBG sold 50 million copies, Sony didn't want PUBG on PS4 because it was too early access, MS funded the console port and Bluehole did the job.
Nothing was harmed, and you are really comparing PUBG with TR? Come on man.
It does not work like this, any potential sales on the platform will in fact be harm, now even more so with the competition getting more fierce.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Tomb Raider definitely came out at a bad time. Like I'd be into the game if it wasn't sandwiched between the two open world behemoths I'm getting - Spider-Man and Assassin's Creed

It'll probably pick up speed, the franchise always seems to, but considering the UK has always loved Lara Croft this is especially telling. Personally I'll be waiting till next year for it.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Tomb Raider (ALL) - 185,000

Rise of the Tomb Raider (ALL) - 42,000

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - 36,000
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox 360) - 6,000

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (ALL) - 52,000

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PlayStation 4) - 33,000
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - 19,000