• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Beating the Wii version in the UK is surprising.

I think people are missing that Smash has never been that big in the UK

GameCube was the first big Smash game and GameCube died here.

So even on the mighty Wii, which sold hugely in the UK, Smash wasn't THAT well known.

The power of the internet and social media since then has helped it grow in the UK since then

Nov 18, 2018
"Last week's new release, Darksiders III, has disappeared from the charts altogether." šŸ˜Ŗ the only good thing about it dropping like a fly so fast is, it'll be in the bargin bin sooner than later, I supposed.

Sep 25, 2018
let's see if smash can do what Wii did, which Mario kart Wii sold 32 million before it got bundle beating out grand theft which had sales from both Sony and Microsoft 160 million systems and Mario kart was still beasting, eventually they pass it later on but this just shows whenever Nintendo have a lot of hardware sold, only people that can keep up with them is 3rd partyy that need over 100 million systems to have same amount of sales.

right mow Nintendo have way more first party games that sold 10 million and more than ps4 and xbox which came out longer

switch with less Japan systems sold have more games that reach 1 million sales and higher retail only, while ps4. Only have 3 games and they all from third party, dragon quest, final fantasy xv and monster hunter. No other games sold more than 1 million beside those 3 on PS4

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I'd say 140-145k (10% digital) is much more believable with digital.

Edit - forgot quote...

0% chance it's less than 20% on release week. It's probably at least 30% especially since eShop price was even slightly cheaper on average than retail unlike PSN/Xbox tentpole releases where digital costs an arm and a leg more their boxed counterparts

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
I hope parents pick this up for kids on Christmas morning so they can experience the level of magic I did when I first unwrapped and played Smash 64 when I was a nipper. The game is fantastic and Deserves the sales.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
0% chance it's less than 20% on release week. It's probably at least 30% especially since eShop price was even slightly cheaper on average than retail unlike PSN/Xbox tentpole releases where digital costs an arm and a leg more their boxed counterparts

This definitely wasn't the case for the UK. Which this thread is about.

The eshop price was Ā£60, when it can easily be had for Ā£50 from game.co.uk, and they're the most rip off game store in the country.

Game are charging Ā£50 for the retail version but they have to sell the download codes at Ā£60, to match the eshop price...

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was only the minority of people because most don't wanna go through the hassle of importing games. Also if we start arguing like that then we could mention that the Smash Ultimate rom has been dumped weeks ago and has been pirated several times already. But I won't do that because it's only a fraction of people which is not impacting sales numbers significantly.
eBay sellers had Brawl import copies for sale ready to be shipped next day. There was no need to import.

Oct 27, 2017
I knew Smash was popular amongst it's hardcore fans but I always thought it was ignored by the mainstream. I obviously knew Smash did ok numbers but the potential sales figures for Ultimate could be huge.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
I knew Smash was popular amongst it's hardcore fans but I always thought it was ignored by the mainstream. I obviously knew Smash did ok numbers but the potential sales figures for Ultimate could be huge.

Last two entries were just shy of 15m. This entry will smash 20m out the park.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty much in the same Spot as Mario, and Mario Kart as a game that sells a ton of units per Nintendo console.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
This definitely wasn't the case for the UK. Which this thread is about.

The eshop price was Ā£60, when it can easily be had for Ā£50 from game.co.uk, and they're the most rip off game store in the country.

Game are charging Ā£50 for the retail version but they have to sell the download codes at Ā£60, to match the eshop price...

Yeah my bad I thought the game was Ā£59 retail boxed at GAME but regardless there was a double coins Ā£6 discount on eShop so the gap is minor compared to AAA PSN releases like CODBLOPS4 which collapsed at retail but increased tons on e-stores; regardless 10% on Switch in the Uk on launch week for SSB? Not a chance in hell.
Games had >10% digital for LTDs, not launch week for the biggest game ever on the platform, for this kind of game and on freakin' 3DS... the Switch's high digital adoption already meant a majority of indie games are vastly selling the best on Switch.

ByWatterson

ā–² Legend ā–²
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
20 years is a long time in gaming.

Sure, but you only need "all time" if saying "fastest selling Smash game" would imply some caveats. And it doesn't.

As opposed to "most popular president," which indicates "in the polling era." All time might be needed there if making a broader claim.

Otherwise it's just unnecessary hyperbole.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is UK only but I honestly expected PokƩmon to outsell it at launch. We'll see the numbers worldwide I guess.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Smash did over 13 million on Wii, too, so it's always been one of Nintendo's bigger franchises. This game might make it the biggest seller behind PokƩmon, though.

Why do we say "all time" when it's only been about 20 years and five games?
Because it concisely and truthfully conveys the record being achieved.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Sure, but you only need "all time" if saying "fastest selling Smash game" would imply some caveats. And it doesn't.

As opposed to "most popular president," which indicates "in the polling era." All time might be needed there if making a broader claim.

Otherwise it's just unnecessary hyperbole.
Looking at those interpretations, there could actually be a reason: trackers often didn't start tracking at the inception of gaming. In Japan, for example, the earliest Dragon quest games don't have known sales numbers. In that situation, we often see trackers (and Mat Piscatella of NPD does the same) say "since tracking began. For Smash, though, all games are included, so the addendum "of all time" indicates that all games have known sales numbers.

Feb 22, 2018
Thats great to hear, the game is amazing and deserves all the sales it can get. Too bad we wont know the exact details in regards to digital sales until Nintendo releases that info, which sometimes they dont.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Smash has Mario, Pikachu, and has the same party appeal as Mario Kart/Party. That's enough for MANY casual fans. I'll never understand why people still think Smash is in it's own niche, even after both previous entries (Brawl and For) sold well over 10 million each.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I bought two copies myself. Pump up those numbers.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, genuinely shocked. I thought this game would only do roughly the same at the last one. If it's done this well in the U.K., which is historically not big on Nintendo or hasn't been for a while now, then this can only mean good things for elsewhere.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's my first Smash and I'm loving it. All the mini challengers in WoL mode, with little twists on the rules are awesome, and the Spirits fit in perfectly and add a ton of depth. Was that all stuff in the series already?