• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
UK Physical Charts (Week 46, ending Nov 17th)

1574036769-capture-d-ecran-2019-11-18-a-01-25-59.png

Pokemon Sword and Shield
  • Second biggest Pokemon launch in UK history
  • Third biggest game launch of the year (just behind FIFA and Call of Duty)
  • Biggest exclusive of 2019
Combined together, the titles have secured the second biggest launch for Pokémon games in UK history, having sold 33% (or 43%) more units than 2010's Black and White on Nintendo DS. The new games have also sold 53% (or 64.6%) more units at launch than last year's Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee, which were also released on Nintendo Switch.

However, they could not topple the success of Pokémon Sun and Moon. Sun and Moon were released during the Pokémon Go phenomenon of 2016 and together they represent the biggest Nintendo launch in the UK (ever). Compared to those 3DS games, Sword and Shield's debut sales are 39% (or 34.5%) lower.

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
  • 4th biggest launch of the year
  • Sales 33% lower than Battlefront 2 (about 89k launch, Battlefront 2 did about 130k and Battlefront 2015 did 334k)
  • 66% on PS4 / 34% on Xbox One
In between the Pokémon releases is Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order at No.2. It's a very strong opening for EA's new Star Wars adventure, and it's the fourth biggest boxed game launch of the year so far.
Sales are 33% lower than the last big EA Star Wars game - Star Wars: Battlefront II, which was released in November 2017. However, EA has stated it doesn't have the same level of expectation for this title, as it's a story-driven adventure, rather than a multiplayer shooter. Furthermore, digital sales are not included.

Death Stranding
  • 71% drop week on week (about 13k in its 2nd week)
Last week's big release was Death Stranding for PS4. The Hideo Kojima game suffers a sizeable drop in its second week on sale, falling 71% in sales. The game therefore drops from No.2 to No.8.

More at link about NFS Heat, Minecraft Switch, Just Dance, etc...
Need for Speed: Heat, which debuted at No.5 last week, drops 38% in sales and falls to No.11.
Meanwhile, Mario & Sonic At The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games actually rose in sales during its second week (sales up 12%), however the game still falls from No.8 to No.10.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Pokemon expected, i guess.Not bad for Fallen Order.Death Stranding was very front loaded it seems.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Pokemon Absolutely incredible. Jeez. Surely all those people kicking up a fuss have still bought it to do a number like this?

Death stranding has dropped fast.

OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Is the 71% drop for Death Stranding extreme or not that out of the ordinary.
Big drop for a FRI release, compared to others Sony first party FRI releases :
  • Spider-Man : -42% 2nd week (110k copies sold)
  • God of War : -35% 2nd week (62k)
  • Days Gone : -60% 2nd week (28k)
  • Ratchet 2016 : -49% 2nd week (19.4k)

Even Horizon, with a WED release, dropped -60% in its 2nd week (46k)

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Thats a big drop for DS.

And an impressive launch for Pokemon. I wonder how many hardware the game has sold.

Since UK is traditionaly not a big market fir Nintendo I would think that Pokemon probably tops all best seller lists in europe.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Wow. Crazy drop for death stranding. A lot worse than I thought. Especially for a november release.

I wonder if sony will just leave it to die or if we can expect bundles and further promo.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
Since vouchers and eshop are now a thing I expect SwSh 10ish% under SuMo if not less

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

The UK didn't really care for Ratchet and Clank, huh?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm wondering if the game itself contributed to the drop. not being an actiony game may have affected the word of mouth

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Ring Fit on the Rise again. Incredible.
Amazing for Pokemon, with digital its propably closer to Sun&Moon then many thought. Bodes well for worldwide sales.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think anyone expected this to outsell sun and moon. The 3DS had a very large install base at that point.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
That's a huge drop for Death Stranding.

Normally, Sony titles perform much better in their second week then 71% drop

Jan 2, 2018
With Mario Kart 8: Deluxe at No.9 and Luigi's Mansion 3 at No.6, there are six Nintendo Switch exclusives in the Top Ten.

Other notable successes for Nintendo this week is Minecraft on Switch rising 31% in sales week-on-week (but still falls from No.9 to No.12), while Ring Fit Adventure sales are up 36%, and the fitness game moves from No.19 to No.15 as a result.

Man, that game! Crazy!

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Funny thing is that, the more these titles keep selling, the less room for excuses there is regarding cut features, but here we are.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Who would've thunk they would've liked a Pokemon based in their region.

Also, it's time people accept that Death Stranding was/is not for the mainstream crowd and will have sales to reflect that

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That's a real solid week for Nintendo. Pokemon doing work as expected but Luigi's Mansion no slouch.

Speaking as a Brit, I don't feel like there's any awareness or any particular excitement over the fact that Sw/Sh is loosely based on the UK.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Funny thing is that, the more these titles keep selling, the less room for excuses there is regarding cut features, but here we are.

It will be interesting to see what kind of legs SWSH has. The game is in its honeymoon right now. I remember XY being praised as one of the best Pokemon games but it eventually became the most hated besides maybe Sun/Moon.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Since vouchers and eshop are now a thing I expect SwSh 10ish% under SuMo if not less

A game with Vouchers like SwSH has normally a 30-50% digital rate. So its not unlikely that SwSH had the best launch in Pokemon history.

But we will probably never now, because Nintendo does not often share digital sales data. We will get to know sales at sometime, and it will show how many physical and digital units have been sold, but no launch sales.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone expected this to outsell sun and moon. The 3DS had a very large install base at that point.

The initial success of Su/Mo is more related to the Pokémon Go phenomenon. Games were very frontloaded, reason why I think Sw/Sh will outsell them in the long run.

I'm betting 18m WW.

OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
The UK didn't really care for Ratchet and Clank, huh?
From the launch week back in 2016 : "In terms of week 1 sales units the record was held by 2009s PS3 Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, but the current release beats this by a factor of 3."
It was never huge in UK but PS4 boosted its sales

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Sun and Moon will probably keep the top Pokemon launch spot for a long, long time. Pokemon Go boosted its launch sales by a huge amount.

Also, it's time people accept that Death Stranding was/is not for the mainstream crowd and will have sales to reflect that
Death Stranding isn't destined to be a 10 million+ seller, but a few million units sold would be a fantastic number for it.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
That's genuinely fantastic for Pokémon, my god. Sun/Moon were obviously untouchable, being the largest Nintendo launch ever thanks to Go. Yet SWSH was within firing range, and even outgrossed sun/moon at physical alone.

With legs that will certainly be leagues ahead of sun/moon's, this could be the best selling Pokémon game in a very long time.
Only the second biggest Pokemon launch huh :/
Pleeease be sarcasm

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
It will be interesting to see what kind of legs SWSH has. The game is in its honeymoon right now. I remember XY being praised as one of the best Pokemon games but it eventually became the most hated besides maybe Sun/Moon.

"Hated"? Probably by same the dozens of people that boycott SwSh now?

Its ok and necessary to criticize a game, but people must also learn to look outside of their niche internet bubble.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sun and Moon will probably keep the top Pokemon launch spot for a long, long time. Pokemon Go boosted its launch sales by a huge amount.

Death Stranding isn't destined to be a 10 million+ seller, but a few million units sold would be a fantastic number for it.
Oh for sure. When all is said and done 4-5 million would be a good result for the type of game that it is.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
It will probably outsell Sun and Moon in the long run as Nintendo titles tend to sell better on the Switch compared to their previous iterations in other consoles.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
With vouchers and smaller install base it being only 2nd is still pretty great

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
"Hated"? Probably by same the dozens of people that boycott SwSh now?

Its ok and necessary to criticize a game, but people must also learn to look outside of their niche internet bubble.

"Hated" when compared to other Pokemon games. I'm guessing X/Y and Sun/Moon are the least liked mainline Pokemon games. (I'm not factoring in SWSH since it is new and people still are forming real opinions about the game)

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmmmmm, this seems hard to judge.

I think this depends on how much of the actors and mo-cap people were paid

Death Stranding could have been hugely expensive to make.
It probably was expensive. Won't even be surprised if it doesn't make it's money back. I doubt Sony cares though as it did it's job of being a prestige title. Sony will keep funding these as long as exposure is happening.