• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...tendo-switch-playstation-and-xbox-915672.html

The competition watchdog has launched an investigation into Nintendo Switch, PlayStation and Xbox amid fears that their auto-renewal terms are unfairly hammering gamers.
The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) said on Friday that its consumer law investigation will seek to determine if the consoles' business practices are legal.
It will focus on the use of auto-renewals for online gaming contracts, cancellation and refund policies and their terms and conditions.

The probe will seek to determine if the contract terms are unfair, whether it is too difficult to cancel or obtain a refund and if the auto-renewal process is transparent.

Andrea Coscelli, chief executive of the CMA, said: "Roll-over contracts are becoming more and more commonplace and it's essential that they work well for customers.

"Our investigation will look into whether the biggest online gaming companies are being fair with their customers when they automatically renew their contracts, and whether people can easily cancel or get a refund.
"Should we find that the firms aren't treating people fairly under consumer protection law, we are fully prepared to take action."

They want to hear the experiences of consumers, so if you're in the UK, and want to share feedback on service terms in these areas, I guess get in touch with them.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If there's any point where you guys can include gifting in PSN, please do.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I think with Xbox, they used to have the cancel buttons for Game Pass / Live on the Xbox itself but have since removed them. Funny thing is, you can turn auto renew back ON from the Xbox Dashboard, but have to go to accounts.microsoft.com to turn it OFF again. annoying. (this is in the US at least).

Also, where is that auto-refund system that Microsoft has had in testing for like 3 years for the Microsoft Store?

edit: also one change I would like to see with digital games is trading / reselling. Now I doubt this would ever come to games across the board but could it at least come to games that are delisted from these digital stores? So lets say something like Forza is delisted. In a all digital world, there is no way to get that game. Users should have the ability to put their digital copies up for sale or for trade to other users. With Limited copies, and the publisher not selling them anymore anyway. Unless there is some legal reason / licensing issue, I don't see why that can't be a thing.

Last edited:

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't own an Xbox, but my sister does, and it is probably the most annoying subscription service I messed with. I'm genuinely surprised it gives you an extension of sorts (iirc like 10 days) if you don't have any payments, but then you have to pay for that extension before you can get a month of xbl. So it's like 20 dollars instead for an extension that wasn't asked for.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got an Xbox s last year and it came with a 3 months subscription to GP IIRC but when I set it up I was encouraged to try GP for a week or 2 can't remember which for free which I obviously took up just by accepting it but when that week passed I was then unable to use the 3 months subscription to GP code that I got since it was only for 'new accounts' or some such. It was on the slip that the code was on TBF but in very small text and the whole situation was very stupid that the code was made useless to me because of this.

I dunno if that's what will be investigated here or not but it was definitely for me a showcase of how misleading these subscriptions can be.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Should be able to subscribe, cancel, auto-renew, cancel auto-renew and outright cancel from the console as well as the website. It shouldn't be one or the other.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
The only thing I personally have an issue with is turning off auto-renewal on Xbox One without going to their website.

Oct 25, 2017
I think with Xbox, they used to have the cancel buttons for Game Pass / Live on the Xbox itself but have since removed them. Funny thing is, you can turn auto renew back ON from the Xbox Dashboard, but have to go to accounts.microsoft.com to turn it OFF again. annoying. (this is in the US at least).

This is correct, on my machine as well at least. Total nonsense

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
The Nintendo Online could be managed from the Account on PC as well as in the eShop.
It's easy to cancel autorenew.

Don't remember for Xbox Live/ PSN

Oct 28, 2017
I got an Xbox s last year and it came with a 3 months subscription to GP IIRC but when I set it up I was encouraged to try GP for a week or 2 can't remember which for free which I obviously took up just by accepting it but when that week passed I was then unable to use the 3 months subscription to GP code that I got since it was only for 'new accounts' or some such. It was on the slip that the code was on TBF but in very small text and the whole situation was very stupid that the code was made useless to me because of this.

I dunno if that's what will be investigated here or not but it was definitely for me a showcase of how misleading these subscriptions can be.
Exactly the same thing happened to me. It's really shitty.

Also, I find it absolutely ridiculous that you can't cancel auto renewal for Gamepass on an Xbox One itself. You have to do it through their website. I actually had to google how to turn off auto renewal. I'm sorry but that's fucked up.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good stuff. Hold them to task for every little bit of shit you can dig up.

Hopefully we'll end up getting some positive changes out of this.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm guessing that auto renew strategy people have been talking up is a bust? At least here in the EU, right?

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Good, PSN Plus auto-renewal enabling everytime you redeem a 365 days code is shitty, and there's not even a message informing you auto-renewal was enabled.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
If it is on, it should be like any other time you fall out of contract where they charge you monthly but you can cancel anytime unless you decide to resubmit annually (or more).

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Renewal should always require a user to opt-in, and canceling a subscription should only require pressing a button on a site.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hate that I have to disable autorenew for ps+. These services should not autorenew until the customer chooses so.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck auto renewal

Young kids are prey to this practice

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
Auto renewal fucked me a few years ago when I was unemployed. Completely forgot about it and noticed that half my bi weekly unemployment payment was gone.
I had it as a year renewal.