• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A video game depicting child abuse and domestic violence was condemned as 'repulsive' last night by MPs and campaigners.

In one harrowing scene, a girl aged about ten is heard screaming as her father apparently beats her to death in her bedroom.

Elsewhere, she says: 'He's coming, he's going to hurt me.' In another sequence, the child runs upstairs trailed menacingly by her belt-wielding father who shouts: 'Alice, Daddy's very mad.'

The multi-million pound game, Detroit: Become Human, is likely to be a hit when launched next year by Japanese games giant Sony. It is already available to pre-order on Amazon for £46.

Tory MP Damian Collins, Chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, said: 'It is completely wrong for domestic violence to be part of a video game regardless of what the motivation is. Domestic violence is not a game and this simply trivialises it. I worry that people who play this who themselves have suffered abuse will use this game to shape the way in which they deal with abusers.

'It's dangerous to plant the seed in people's minds that the way to deal with abusers is to use violence against them. It's counter-productive and could put them in even more danger.'

ESTHER RANTZEN: This isn't just savage - it's highly dangerous

There was a time – more cruel and less civilised than ours – when public executions were enjoyed as entertainment.

In those savage days, crowds watched old women being drowned as witches and animals tortured for fun.

But I've never heard of little girls being beaten with a belt as part of a game. That, in my view, is not just savage, it's seriously damaging.

Who would play such a game for fun? People who are impervious to the suffering of children.

At Childline I have listened to the voices of beaten children.

I remember a paediatrician telling me of a child whose body carried the scars of dozens of ferocious beatings with a belt.

How could anyone even contemplate creating a video game with that as a 'fun' element in it?

Then there is the added danger that a child might play this hideous game – perhaps a child who lives with violence, who has been beaten or watched parents physically fighting.

How many nightmares will this game provoke?

Criminals who attack children often create similar fantasies in their imaginations before they act them out. Such a criminal would regard this game as a validation.

The designers of video games have a duty to protect children, and that responsibility extends to protecting virtual children.

We never want anyone to believe that beating a child to death with a belt is the stuff of entertainment. It should never be trivialised or turned into a game.

I call upon Sony Interactive Entertainment to think again and withdraw this game, or at least remove this scene where a virtual child is put in life-threatening danger. If you don't, real children may suffer.

But Children's Commissioner for England, Anne Longfield, said that whatever the makers' motivations 'it seems to end up in a clumsy, inappropriate and graphic game play that is no more than an unpleasant exploitative way of making money off the back of real suffering'.

Last night, The Video Standards Council, which is responsible for deciding computer game age ratings, refused to say whether or not they would grant it a classification and allow the game to be released.

A spokesman said: 'Any decision to refuse a certificate is not taken lightly and to the extent we consider necessary we are able to consult our advisory panel of leading psychologists and legal experts.'

Sony Interactive Entertainment declined to comment.

http://www./news/article-5140165/Detroit-Human-video-game-branded-repulsive.html

Yes, it's the Daily Mail, but it has a legitmate response from a member of the UK parliament, and the large passage above is from the Childline UK creator. Plus, with this hitting the publics favourite rag, the DM, public discourse will start bringing it up. I've copied a bit more as no one enjoys visiting the DM.

Especially with a headline like this

3Hmt9Ff.png

WDm7x32.jpg

If PEGI rate it, PEGI rate it, but let's see what pressure Sony face in the UK. UK gamers to need to import from Europe/US? Moral panics around games sometimes catch fire.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Wouldn't be such a bad future if David Cage got banned in the UK.
This is hilarious honestly. Time to ban everything child abuse in it!

Oct 28, 2017
This shit is so pathetic. They all believe you're gonna sit there and have to watch a child be beaten to death, not like its a cutaway where nothing is actually shown.

Drown the entire Daily Mail.

OP
OP

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
daily mail gonna daily mail

I get you man, but it's not just the DM creating their own crazy drama

Tory MP Damian Collins, Chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, said: 'It is completely wrong for domestic violence to be part of a video game regardless of what the motivation is. Domestic violence is not a game and this simply trivialises it. I worry that people who play this who themselves have suffered abuse will use this game to shape the way in which they deal with abusers.

'It's dangerous to plant the seed in people's minds that the way to deal with abusers is to use violence against them. It's counter-productive and could put them in even more danger.'

Slim potential the UK government is going to be keeping an eye on Detroit. I don't think they can override PEGI though.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew this would happen and I knew it would be the DM. Expected them to save it a bit closer to launch though.

It's interesting that out of the entire game, Sony/QD decided to showcase this scene. It was inevitable that it would cause controversy.

The comments about how it being a videogame trivialises the subject matter? My response would be the amount of TV and film that trivialises such subject matters as rape, is absolutely grotesque. But they're not writing an article about that.

Right now we've only seen this scene out of context so neither they or we have any idea whether the subject matter is being trivialised or not.

Last edited:

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
"It's dangerous to plant the seed in people's minds that the way to deal with abusers is to use violence against them"

You can save the child or let it die among other things.

Squidofman

Luke Plunkett, Kotaku
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I get you man, but it's not just the DM creating their own crazy drama

The Daily Mail and conservative politicians are heads of the same hydra, and those quotes would have been sought out because haha like anyone in those positions knows anything about this game. This is a classic British tabloid demolition job.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so offensive for Rantzen to criticise this when she knew about Savile and didn't do a thing. She has no credibilty.

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
David cage/Quantic Dream doesn't tackle a lot of issues well

but media discussing/depicting child abuse shouldn't be shied away with like this and demand censorship
the scene isn't framed in a gratuitous(?) way thats meant to go oh yes child abuse is good, nor does it put you in the role of the child abuser
its an important issue that needs attention and at least detroit is trying

edit: this is just moral panic crap from MPs/The Sun trying to drum up attention against a non-existent boogey man
it doesn't hold under a second of scrutiny

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... on the one hand, I don't believe David Cage can possibly do this right. On the other, I'm not sure I get the whole "this is going to give abusers massive boners" argument, because the whole point of the segment is to show abusive is shitty and isn't even from the abuser's POV.

I mean, this smacks strongly of the representative hearing there's a bit about child abuse in the game, but doesn't actually know anything about what it involves and what it's trying to do.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
And here we have people who know nothing about games not taking it seriously as an art form. I wonder how many movies that involve domestic abuse Mr Damian Collins has campaigned against?

Hopefully this doesn't follow the same fate that some games in the UK have followed with aggressive campaigns filled with lies such as with Rule of Rose.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have the opposite opinion and would argue that it helps to raise awareness of child abuse (assuming it's handled sensitively in the game).

Oct 25, 2017
We live in a time where you can not depict serious and tough situations for characters because some overprotective snowflake thinks it is bad to be seen by an adult, because the game will have an age rating.

What is happening going on anymore

astroglide

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't. I tend to lean more right than left but this is freedom of speech in my opinion. Games are art and you can make whatever you want. I dont believe in censoring something people pay for as well.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a terrible article that is just bad and terrible but I don't have much higher hopes for this scene in the game. There's absolutely no reason why a circumstance like this shouldn't be in a game, but it should be done well, obviously. I'll be getting this day 1 and avoiding any/all coverage of how this game turns out so I have no preconceptions of the final products quality, but I can't ignore Cage's history either.

Looking forward to the game!

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have much faith in David Cage handling this type of material in a respectful manner, but it sounds like this MP is rather uninformed about what videogames are now.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how bad it will probably be portrayed since its David Cage and all, the premise is ridiculous and Sony shouldn't budge on this at all. This is like the Sexbox controversy with Mass Effect

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is ridiculous.

Its like if you watch SAW you will be a serial killer.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chased by an evil dad with a belt and beaten. Sounds like my childhood. I'm not offended at all. It needs to be there. I wish people would stop assuming that all video games are for children. Same as for animation/anime and comic books. Just shows these people making snap judgments know nothing.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
The racist misogynistic Tory rag in all its finest, wouldn't piss on this glad rag if it caught fire

Please ignore this triviality members of era
Most of the British public have to

OP
OP

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Daily Mail and conservative politicians are heads of the same hydra, and those quotes would have been sought out because haha like anyone in those positions knows anything about this game. This is a classic British tabloid demolition job.

I do agree. Unfortunately I do expect with this gas tank being lit by the paper, a Tory and Rantzen, it might have some brief legs in the UK. Depends what the rest of the Tory party are saying.

This forums international posters might get a short glimpse into the horrors of the Daily Mail as well.

Last night, The Video Standards Council, which is responsible for deciding computer game age ratings, refused to say whether or not they would grant it a classification and allow the game to be released.

A spokesman said: 'Any decision to refuse a certificate is not taken lightly and to the extent we consider necessary we are able to consult our advisory panel of leading psychologists and legal experts.'

I'd take that as a generic response, I seriously doubt Detroit wouldn't get classification.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

This is going to go absolutely nowhere, thankfully.

Oct 27, 2017
"Abusers will get off on this stuff"

So why not describe the scene in great detail and embed a video of it in the page? Shocking!!! Filth!!!

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cage just isn't very good at showcasing scenes like this without it coming off as sleazy and shallow. He doesn't have the finesse to treat sensitive issues like these.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ah yes, Tories, the Mail and Esther Rantzen. Just the people I look to for moral guidance.

OP
OP

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this reads like its a sarcastic joke

fDMM9LT.png

Box quote for the game, and then maybe a David Cage game will finally sell 5 million copies?

But yeah, America and Europe, this is the Daily Mail, and this is what some of our Conservative politicians can be like. Weep for us. Even if you don't like Cage, this is rather depressing stuff.

Heck, Quantic Dream should sue the Daily Mail. The general public in the UK are going to think they're assholes. Call Cage a hack for his writing, okay, but a "newspaper" implying QD are supplying content for abusers to get off on is beyond the pale.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Daily Mail threads shouldn't be allowed. The terrible quality of the article has already derailed discussion of the quotes.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why do people keep saying they don't believe David Cage can do this right?

Because he had you as a female character go into a mental hospital and all the patients there were acting in a way that implied they wanted to rape the player character in one of his past games. Because in another of his games 2 characters just start having sex, out of nowhere, with no chemistry and when time is of the essence for the people who have sex. And I'm sure people who've played more of his games than I have can point out more scenarios that were just cringeworthy at best and completely lacking in nuance.

Never mind how Fahrenheit goes completely off the rails and all the plot holes about the identity of the Origami Killer...

I mean what were those nightmares about really?

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
I suspect that there'll be far less traction for a moral panic over this than there would have been, say, 10 years ago. That said, I would love to see Sony and every other video game company pull their advertising from Dacre's shitrag over this alarmist nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.