• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Man Ramadan is next month. This is gonna be a nightmare for people.

How? And why? Mosques have closed since Friday anyway, we don't eat or drink most of the day, what's the nightmare? You get to stay home with your family (not everyone, I know), use the time to pray more, which is only a good thing. Seems like a good way to increase time praying and reconnecting with Allah, personally.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
They are passing a law on Wednesday which should give them all the power they need. If there's mass non-compliance, I wouldn't be surprised to see the army deployed.

They might well do, but if you haven't got the numbers of police officers, you can't enforce anything.

police are currently focusing on most pressing 999 calls only when dispatching resources and non emergencies are dealt with over the phone/ appointment.
Yet, police is struggling to respond to 999 calls.
The requirement is to attend within 15mins of a call, but reality is that some jobs can get resourced within 30-60 mins because there is simply not enough officers.

officers in the West Midlands will most likely be put on 12hrs shifts, but it won't make a difference apart from burning them out and a lot are already self isolating (and if feeling well enough, working from home clearing jobs that can be dealt over the phone like getting crime numbers etc).

army would be the next logical step

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I think we decided pizza is actually the safest fast food. It comes out of an oven straight into a box after all.

Yeah, i just noticed that food deliveries were still on, i thought they might get closed.

Speech in full.
References to time in bold-
From this evening
Present tense used throughout
'Immediately' when referring to shops etc.
It could have been clearer but it is there.

cheers, i always imagined a 2 hour warning would be given, but they're still negotiating what exactly enforcement looks like, so it's going to ramp up later anyway.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The world really has gone mad when Boris Johnson sounds like a well put together intelligent gentleman when put side by side with the US president.

As useless as he is I dont think you would ever have seen Boris claiming the virus was a hoax and then that he'll have it under control in 15 days..

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I checked the Tesco site out of curiosity and I'm getting an error mentioning demand. People getting their online panic buying in.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another half measure with huge questions on the detail that will have people unable to sleep wondering if they should be going to work tomorrow or if their employer should even be asking them to.

I'm really getting sick of it all.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I work for Next in Directory Distribution and they're literally still picking and packing as we speak. Nothing's changed, they should be sending people home.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think we decided pizza is actually the safest fast food. It comes out of an oven straight into a box after all.

I guess disinfect the box? Dunno

Another half measure with huge questions on the detail that will have people unable to sleep wondering if they should be going to work tomorrow or if their employer should even be asking them to.

I'm really getting sick of it all.

The point is to avoid you getting sick! :)

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the script for people with kids that aren't living with them?

Are we still able to travel to collect them/have them dropped off then picked up at a later date etc

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be getting public transport. Just wondering if I expect to be stopped by police asking me why I am not in my house and when I explain my reason, its accepted.

Maybe try contacting somebody like Citizen's Advice or your local council or the non-emergency Police (although the latter as a last resort, they'll probably be slammed) and see if they can offer more guidance. Do it soon as well, rather than waiting for the night before you are supposed to travel.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Hey all, so I've been WFH since last week (I work at a game studio so we can just work from home easily enough). But now this statement has been issued, I'm wondering will places like barbers, hairdressers and similar have to close for these initial 3 weeks in the plan?

I do think these 3 weeks will be extended to more but we shall see.

How about places like Amazon warehouses and similar delivery depos? Will they stay open?

edit:
This answers half of my questions

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Between Trudeau and Johnson, we're getting a lot of military-style language. "Duty", "service," "enlisted". More than the actual lockdowns - which don't really faze me as a bit of a recluse anyway - hearing those words come out of world leaders' mouths is the part that really drove home how different a world we're living in now.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
Just been told my work trip to Manchester from Notts is still on. Thankfully I only have to interact with one person while I'm there and that's the guy on the security desk who I don't have to get close to.

I'm still not convinced it doesn't go against the instructions we've just been given. My wife's daughter is with us at the moment and we won't be taking her back down south to her grandparents where she lives until the lockdown is over.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Hey all, so I've been WFH since last week (I work at a game studio so we can just work from home easily enough). But now this statement has been issued, I'm wondering will places like barbers, hairdressers and similar have to close for these initial 3 weeks in the plan?

How about places like Amazon warehouses and similar delivery depos? Will they stay open?

Hairdressers, barbers, nail salons etc will close. not sure about warehouses but they're non-essential I suppose.

Not all that important in the grand scheme, but no way we're getting Resi 3, FFVII etc on time here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Barbers/hairdressers will need to close since they aren't essential.

Delivery depos would be essential and stay open.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
So what's the script for people with kids that aren't living with them?

Are we still able to travel to collect them/have them dropped off then picked up at a later date etc
I'd imagine it would come under the bit of don't visit other family members who don't live with you, but needs clarification probably. That's how I read it anyway -don't see anyone outside your household.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the first few pages now, with a handful of geniuses telling everyone how this is really a big brain plan, is both funny and sad.

Mostly sad because that's roughly a week of public protection lost on a bullshit buzzword.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm reading all this but still don't know what people are supposed to do who travelled to work this morning?

Do they travel tomorrow? Have employees been told their staff are not travel to work?

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading all this but still don't know what people are supposed to do who travelled to work this morning?

Do they travel tomorrow? Have employees been told their staff are not travel to work?
It basically says nothing about people who need to go to work, just that they should work from home if possible. It's another fucking whiff from Boris

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So our clients should be staying at home, but it's okay for.me to.go into multiple different houses per day as part of my job and potentially spread covid 19 since my work.cant be done at home?

I can only take a walk with my family once a day, but I can visit as many properties and premises as many times as my employer asks?

Is a place like a coffee shop or cafe a business selling essential items because it sells food? As such will it be okay for people to que up for their food now that they are one of the few places food is available from?

Always left with so many questions.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Personally I travelled to work this morning, and will be travelling tomorrow. At the very least I can't get set up for working from home without going into work in the first instance, though we do need someone in the office so I might be travelling in for a while. I am expecting to get redeployed somewhere within the council though, other more critical parts are under a lot of strain!

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
What the fuck do they expect people to do for food? You can't buy more than two or three items of anything in supermarkets, so how can people survive at home for three weeks?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
What the fuck do they expect people to do for food? You can't buy more than two or three items of anything in supermarkets, so how can people survive at home for three weeks?
You can go out to the shops but as little as possible, once a week or so at most. I don't think they expect people to only go out once.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Not British, but I can't help but wonder if this is actually anywhere near as effective as it is restrictive. My daily routine literally wouldn't change with this. I only leave for work and for groceries almost any day of the working week. I encounter the overwhelming majority of the people I interact with in those settings, and those seemingly wouldn't be affected at all by this. I never excercise more than once a day and don't know anyone who does - seriously, how can that particular restriction possibly have any measurable impact? I don't think I'm unusual at all, I rather think I'm quite representative of most people.

If the aim is to decrease unnecessary interaction it would make more sense to simply order businesses, pubs, restaurants and other places people gather to be closed and limit the size of private events to something reasonable. Trying to micromanage when people leave their homes like this is going to be impossible to police - which has been the experience in other countries - and arguably pointless.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Not British, but I can't help but wonder if this is actually anywhere near as effective as it is restrictive. My daily routine literally wouldn't change with this. I only leave for work and for groceries almost any day of the working week. I encounter the overwhelming majority of the people I interact with in those settings, and those seemingly wouldn't be affected at all by this. I never excercise more than once a day and don't know anyone who does - seriously, how can that particular restriction possibly have any measurable impact? I don't think I'm unusual at all, I rather think I'm quite representative of most people.

If the aim is to decrease unnecessary interaction it would make more sense to simply order businesses, pubs, restaurants and other places people gather to be closed and limit the size of private events to something reasonable. Trying to micromanage when people leave their homes like this is going to be impossible to police - which has been the experience in other countries - and arguably pointless.

they did that. And then thousands of people went to the park or fucking beach for the weekend

this is the next logical step but I think they need to address supermarkets. Some way to spread the load and stop people taking the piss so those of us trying to be sensible don't get fucked over

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Here's that link again folks, sure glad I put my order in when I did. If you know vulnerable people this could be handy.

www.musclefood.com

Top Offers

High-protein foods, lean meats, and healthy meal plans, all delivered to your door. Shop now & reach your health & fitness goals! 💪🥩🚚

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
My wife was made to take her work pc home. Is more like a flash drive than a pc though to be fair
Well for some reason they're not allowing us to take the office PC's home. They bought brand new equipment, but only enough to cover half the office. So ""Work from home where essential and if you cannot work from home" is meaningless if your boss can just say "You feasibly can, but you actually cannot, because we're not letting you".

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this two person rule with workplaces such as offices. Are these to remain open and people carrying on working with others? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of doing this? Very confusing messaging. You are still spreading the virus in buildings. I don't get it.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017

The problem is you are suggesting one level of micro managing over another.

The government wanted to do things your way. However any lack of clarity or gaps in restrictions just give people the excuse not to abide. THese rules aren't about enforcing uniformity, they are about maximising compliance. There will always be those who refuse to play by the rules.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Buy different food? Supermarkets here the other day had literally no fresh fruit or veg, no fresh or frozen meat, no pasta or rice, but I still managed by buying any random shit I could find including some questionable frozen ready meals. You'll survive.

Nov 14, 2017
From that communication
These four reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household.
So I guess that's something to kick up a fuss about if you're being forced to go into work I guess.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this two person rule with workplaces such as offices. Are these to remain open and people carrying on working with others? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of doing this? Very confusing messaging. You are still spreading the virus in buildings. I don't get it.

The word offices was never mentioned unfortunately so I suspect a lot of them will take that to mean they can stay open, mine included

Oct 27, 2017
im moving flats this weekend (was planning on doing it with me and my gf, and our car....) We have no choice our tenancy agreement ends. We're literally moving 3 minutes down the road but likely need to do several back and forth trips, over a few days.

Er help?

am i fucked?