• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck do they expect people to do for food? You can't buy more than two or three items of anything in supermarkets, so how can people survive at home for three weeks?
Just go when food runs out? Am I missing something? Sorry.

3 items of varied selection of food is still quite substantial. It's been a mild inconvenience for me but is doable, but I don't mind as we all need to accept we can't carry on as normal and small sacrifices need to made.

Last edited:

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
So live near but not with my two children and ex-partner. I spend half the day there every day. Not sure if these rules mean they want me to stop seeing my children.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
im moving flats this weekend (was planning on doing it with me and my gf, and our car....) We have no choice our tenancy agreement ends. We're literally moving 3 minutes down the road but likely need to do several back and forth trips, over a few days.

Er help?

am i fucked?
You'll be fine under those circumstances I'd imagine.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
[
How? And why? Mosques have closed since Friday anyway, we don't eat or drink most of the day, what's the nightmare? You get to stay home with your family (not everyone, I know), use the time to pray more, which is only a good thing. Seems like a good way to increase time praying and reconnecting with Allah, personally.

Feeling bad for New reverts who have nobody to break fast with or living in a home where family not accepting there choice of religion. Mosques and Islamic groups do good things for new Muslims during Ramadan. It's gonna be tough situation for them.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Has an MOT due next week, any idea if we need to still get them during this lockdown or not?

Nov 14, 2017
im moving flats this weekend (was planning on doing it with me and my gf, and our car....) We have no choice our tenancy agreement ends. We're literally moving 3 minutes down the road but likely need to do several back and forth trips, over a few days.

Er help?

am i fucked?
It can't be helped. I'm sure if you explain it'll be fine - you're literally moving to your new house because you're about to lose your old one.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feeling bad for New reverts who have nobody to break fast with or living in a home where family not accepting there choice of religion. Mosques and Islamic groups do good things for new Muslims during Ramadan. It's gonna be tough situation for them.

Yeah I see that, but this is the new normal until things change, which they will. I'm sure the community will be quite inventive to include all somehow.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
This still isn't going to make much difference. Supermarkets will still be rammed with people and shelves will be bare. Leave 2 lanes open on the motorways, set up checkpoints on each junction, wave food lorries through, stop and divert anyone else.

Visible high profile action will deter people.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck do they expect people to do for food? You can't buy more than two or three items of anything in supermarkets, so how can people survive at home for three weeks?

Two or three of the same item. I think it's actually fairly rare for bulk buying certain items even in normal circumstances?

Ridiculous to suggest you can't survive without buying 10 packs of spaghetti, or 8 cauliflowers.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally made a step in the right direction to slow the rate of growth of infections. It shouldn't have taken the ridiculous scenes at the weekend to push this decision to lock-down through- it was clear with the mixed ambiguous messaging, and just being meekly asked to stay in last week wouldn't get through and/or be taken seriously. The government should have anticipated that the first spot of nice weather would have people disregarding the safety of themselves and others, and started this before the weekend. If anything closure of pubs, restaurants etc on Friday without a lock-down then probably swayed a lot of people into going to the countryside/seaside/parks.

A lot of the measures sound reasonable too- exercise once per day, you can get the essentials, go to work if you must, they haven't gone straight to a curfew, and held that back for later. Sensible restrictions on gatherings and people congregating too, following the lead from Germany. I still believe the public will push the government very quickly to the next step though by not following these rules, with large numbers thinking they are exempted from this, and won't hurt others through their actions (or they simply don't care).

There's also grumblings from police forces that they don't feel they have the powers to enforce this. Perhaps they need the emergency powers bill passing to do so?

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how to factories/manufacturing firms get around these measures, like they have hundreds of people in close proximity every day and theres no way for them to really mitagate that.

AdemoN

Nov 20, 2017
Wales
Has an MOT due next week, any idea if we need to still get them during this lockdown or not?
My car is booked in at a local garage tomorrow. No idea what the situation is. Numerous people on twitter saying either garages are an essential service or that MOTs have been extended by three months. I don't believe any of that though, we could do we clarification from official sources on this for sure.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is you are suggesting one level of micro managing over another.

The government wanted to do things your way. However any lack of clarity or gaps in restrictions just give people the excuse not to abide. THese rules aren't about enforcing uniformity, they are about maximising compliance. There will always be those who refuse to play by the rules.

But that's the thing though - it's simply not possible to shut down society like this plan is suggesting. Or the previous one. Tons of people have essential work that can't be done by WFH. People need to eat. People have relatives and friends to care for. There are endless, reasonable objections to the restrictions - like the poster above who has shared custody of his kid and has to let him see his mum. Should take out be allowed? Why? Why not? And at the end of the day, what's even the point if people need to work and need to go the supermarket, to which there genuinely is no realistic alternative at this time. Or if there was, would that actually work?

Shutdowns sound logical right up to the point where you realise just how complex society is and how putting it on hold is way harder than you think.

It's not possible to eliminate all risk and potential for infection. It just isn't. You quickly reach the point of diminishing returns and I suspect that this is way beyond it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
And with that, bang goes my income. Apparently there's some dispute as to whether company directors can claim the furlough pay support, there's some dispute as to whether my shop will qualify for the £10k grant - and in the absence of both of those, there's nothing.

So what's the script for people with kids that aren't living with them?

Are we still able to travel to collect them/have them dropped off then picked up at a later date etc

I'm doing that tomorrow anyway - evacuating my son from Liverpool to isolate him in relatively-safe-Somerset. Anyone tries to stop me will get an earful!

Not British, but I can't help but wonder if this is actually anywhere near as effective as it is restrictive. My daily routine literally wouldn't change with this. I only leave for work and for groceries almost any day of the working week. I encounter the overwhelming majority of the people I interact with in those settings, and those seemingly wouldn't be affected at all by this. I never excercise more than once a day and don't know anyone who does - seriously, how can that particular restriction possibly have any measurable impact? I don't think I'm unusual at all, I rather think I'm quite representative of most people.

If the aim is to decrease unnecessary interaction it would make more sense to simply order businesses, pubs, restaurants and other places people gather to be closed and limit the size of private events to something reasonable. Trying to micromanage when people leave their homes like this is going to be impossible to police - which has been the experience in other countries - and arguably pointless.

Yes, I think it will be pretty effective. Up until yesterday my shop, though very small, was quite busy - so a continual stream of people in close proximity handling things that others had handled - and they travelled from about 100 miles around in all directions, probably a prime place for the sort of transmission they are trying to stop. I'd announced restrictions on entry this morning with a view to closing in a week's time anyway until Boris beat me to it.

I suspect there are two angles to it: (1) restricting the sort of long-range transmission I mentioned and (2) restricting transmission within the local area.

Nov 14, 2017
Dunno if this was posted this morning, but to all those who think that herd immunity is still part of the strategy: look how far the government is running from that idea now.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not enough clarity with this at all.

How the heck can people not know whether they should be going to work tomorrow.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
I went to a city centre M&S at 5pm today and it was way quieter than normal and options were only a bit more limited than usual. I think these cries of panic buying are overstated, as people were saying a few pages ago the system is honed to a point and when people start doing bigger shops to cover 5-7 days instead of 2-4 it's going to take an adjustment. Stocks will probably take another dip again now for a couple of days but they'll work it out.

Not enough clarity with this at all.

How the heck can people not know whether they should be going to work tomorrow.
I think the employer needs to take responsibility at some point, the government can't speak to every single case. Large corporate offices have mostly been shutting down since last week.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
As someone not from UK reading the reactions to the lock-down here had me a bit flabbergasted. So many people nitpicking this and that like they are already planning on doing anything to avoid the lock-down. Others are wondering if there is enough police to enforce it. It works in pretty much every other European country that enforced a lock-down and the police's job is only to fine several people who are too obvious in breaking the rules.

Like reading this thread you would think that UK is some Mad Max shit where you can't impose any rule.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
news.sky.com

Coronavirus: First analysis reveals trends in UK's critical cases

The first analysis of people receiving critical hospital treatment after testing positive for COVID-19 covers almost 200 patients.
This bit doesn't bode well...

But more than half of the 196 patients (104) have spent seven days in intensive care, with 37 of them having been in intensive care for 18 days - a sign of just how much demand there will be on vital beds for COVID-19 patients.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I went to a city centre M&S at 5pm today and it was way quieter than normal and options were only a bit more limited than usual. I think these cries of panic buying are overstated, as people were saying a few pages ago the system is honed to a point and when people start doing bigger shops to cover 5-7 days instead of 2-4 it's going to take an adjustment. Stocks will probably take another dip again now for a couple of days but they'll work it out.

I think the employer needs to take responsibility at some point, the government can't speak to every single case. Large corporate offices have mostly been shutting down since last week.

I agree but if someone hasn't been told to stay at home by their employer they will go to work.

Telling people to stay home unless work is "essential" doesn't really say anything as people answer to their employer.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't seem to suggest it's being enforced. The guidance for commuting is if you can't WFH rather than being a key service.

thisis a key ambiguity in the announcement. What is 'absolutely necessary' - your boss can just tell you you have to go to work? They need to define categories or something

likewise with supermarkets - need more controls. Lots of people won't feel comfortable going once a week if we expect empty shelves or heaving crowds

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
My car is booked in at a local garage tomorrow. No idea what the situation is. Numerous people on twitter saying either garages are an essential service or that MOTs have been extended by three months. I don't believe any of that though, we could do we clarification from official sources on this for sure.

Police on radio 5 and a lawyer, they would class this as essential, until you hear differently from the DFT

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Decided I ain't risking it with my asthma. Self isolation starts now. Well, I have been doing it as much as possible. Have still been going to work (can't work from home) and shopping once a week. Not going to work and I have enough food/supplies to last at least 2 weeks.

I was hospitalised last year for the flu and it scared the hell out of me. Not going through that shit again.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah I'm pretty surprised garages haven't been mentioned at all as key workers yet/ or if there being forced to close. I know less driving due to lockdown but people will still drive to the shops.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
But that's the thing though - it's simply not possible to shut down society like this plan is suggesting. Or the previous one. Tons of people have essential work that can't be done by WFH. People need to eat. People have relatives and friends to care for. There are endless, reasonable objections to the restrictions - like the poster above who has shared custody of his kid and has to let him see his mum. Should take out be allowed? Why? Why not? And at the end of the day, what's even the point if people need to work and need to go the supermarket, to which there genuinely is no realistic alternative at this time. Or if there was, would that actually work?

Shutdowns sound logical right up to the point where you realise just how complex society is and how putting it on hold is way harder than you think.

It's not possible to eliminate all risk and potential for infection. It just isn't. You quickly reach the point of diminishing returns and I suspect that this is way beyond it.
One thought that did cross my mind, it will have an effect on traffic congestion. I wonder if, aside from the general contagion strategy, whether the period we are entering is also one where it's vital that emergency services be able to move around more easily and share resources. Especially given some of the worst-case-scenario numbers thrown around predicted to need hospitalisation. Diminishing returns on the infection rate is one thing, but just getting people out of the way at a critical period is perhaps a related point.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Managed to speak to my boss, he's coming in tomorrow morning to tell us the office is closed and just work from home as much as possible, although we're limited in how much we can do that

My main worry is my mum, she's a registrar for the council so I think counted as a key worker

Nov 14, 2017
As someone not from UK reading the reactions to the lock-down here had me a bit flabbergasted. So many people nitpicking this and that like they are already planning on doing anything to avoid the lock-down. Others are wondering if there is enough police to enforce it. It works in pretty much every other European country that enforced a lock-down and the police's job is only to fine several people who are to obvious in breaking the rules.

Like reading this thread you would think that UK is some Mad Max shit where you can't impose any rule.
The rights of free-born Englishmen are part of our national history. There are still communities in England who have ancient rights to free roam certain lands. It's kind of a big deal.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I agree but if someone hasn't been told to stay at home by their employer they will go to work.

Telling people to stay home unless work is "essential" doesn't really say anything as people answer to their employer.

And it should be the employer's responsibility. Actually any decent employer should have already prepared a plan for this scenario. If the employer says the working from home is not realistic there is nothing the government can do. This is the situation in all the European countries under lock-down. Even Italy.

Azurik

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
As someone not from UK reading the reactions to the lock-down here had me a bit flabbergasted. So many people nitpicking this and that like they are already planning on doing anything to avoid the lock-down. Others are wondering if there is enough police to enforce it. It works in pretty much every other European country that enforced a lock-down and the police's job is only to fine several people who are too obvious in breaking the rules.

Unfortunately the British public is not as well behaved like others and it will need stricter enforcing than in other countries

AdemoN

Nov 20, 2017
Wales
Yeah I'm pretty surprised garages haven't been mentioned at all as key workers yet/ or if there being forced to close. I know less driving due to lockdown but people will still drive to the shops.
I'm hoping the government will clarify shortly one way or another. If I don't hear anything I'll just go by whatever my garage decide in the morning. Hopefully I don't end up in a situation where my car gets stuck at the garage!

Nov 14, 2017
One thought that did cross my mind, it will have an effect on traffic congestion. I wonder if, aside from the general contagion strategy, whether the period we are entering is also one where it's vital that emergency services be able to move around more easily and share resources. Especially given some of the worst-case-scenario numbers thrown around predicted to need hospitalisation. Diminishing returns on the infection rate is one thing, but just getting people out of the way at a critical period is perhaps a a related point.
Someone should work out how many hospitalisations are going to happen and if we have enough ambulances.

I saw in the news that they are finding people dead in their homes in Spain under lockdown, having gone in their sleep.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017

It's the same everywhere else. Everyone across Europe is coming up with rationalisations for why the rules don't apply to them.

www.thedailybeast.com

Italy’s Draconian Lockdown Shows Why Mass Quarantines Won’t Work in the West

The WHO called Italy “courageous” for locking down a quarter of the country to try to contain COVID-19, but foolhardy is probably a better description.

www.theguardian.com

Fears 'lockdown parties' will increase global spread of coronavirus

Young people around the world have been defying official advice and bans to carry on socialising

www.theolivepress.es

Spaniards begin renting out their dogs so others under coronavirus lockdown can take walks 'without getting fined' - Olive Press News Spain

OFFERS of a dog have begun popping up on Spanish online marketplaces as the coronavirus quarantine measures enter their third day of effect. Adverts seen

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
And with that, bang goes my income. Apparently there's some dispute as to whether company directors can claim the furlough pay support, there's some dispute as to whether my shop will qualify for the £10k grant - and in the absence of both of those, there's nothing.
Do you pay yourself through PAYE primarily, or dividends / other draw-downs?

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Hope you all stay safe.

So much I need to figure out for the future I can't even think.