• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
The UK's response both from the government and the public has been shambolic. Herd immunity nonsense, complacency, measures were taken too late and no accountability from the media or the public about failure to act quickly and decisively. Honestly it's like an alternate reality when I watch BBC or Sky about the way they present things. Brace yourselves because it's going to get much worse.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Me after 3 days in lockdown:
CraftyFlashyAmericancrow-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Just breaking on Sky News - but North Yorkshire Police are going to be using checkpoints to ask people whether their travel is essential.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's going to be at least another day before we get reliable numbers again, if ever:

twitter.com

Chris Smyth on Twitter

“We may not get any death figures today, as they are looking at moving to publishing first thing in the morning. Aim is to give more time to collate NHS data and inform families before ages and locations made public 2/2”

Last edited:

Deleted member 21665

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just got back from Aldi, absolutely tons of bread/pasta/tp/kitchen rolls/milk/eggs. They were limiting everything to 4 items. Roads were quiet but store was normal levels of busy, only saw 1 person wearing a mask but it was a diy dust mask so don't think that was going to help him much.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Just got back from Aldi, absolutely tons of bread/pasta/tp/kitchen rolls/milk/eggs. They were limiting everything to 4 items. Roads were quiet but store was normal levels of busy, only saw 1 person wearing a mask but it was a diy dust mask so don't think that was going to help him much.

Yeah, my local Aldi was a good bet last week (less parking than other nearby places probably helps).

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Dyson should just stick to the tried and tested versions like Airbus is doing. It isn't really the time for experiments, try it out later.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
What I've learned from the pandemic so far: telling people they shouldn't go outside and exercise is a great way to solve our obesity epidemic...

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why the hell are they not just making tried and tested equipment on a bigger scale. This shit should have been done weeks ago in a collaborative sensible fashion. My god, product design engineers are smart, sure they could do this in their sleep if the powers at be supported them.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why do they want to massage the numbers, won't that just lead to a false sense of security and hinder medical efforts to control it?

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Why do they want to massage the numbers, won't that just lead to a false sense of security and hinder medical efforts to control it?

This is why I'm really confused and want clarification.

Massaging the numbers goes against the government's own messaging, because there's a danger that people will become complacent.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably a stupid question, but if anyone can humour me, we are being told that we are staying inside 3-4+ weeks to flatten the curve and save lives. However without a cure and an abundance of the cure, isn't the likelihood of a semi-normality a long way away? I see so many people thinking/hoping all will be well in a month. I even saw a story about how it could be over by Easter at this rate.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is probably a stupid question, but if anyone can humour me, we are being told that we are staying inside 3-4+ weeks to flatten the curve and save lives. However without a cure and an abundance of the cure, isn't the likelihood of a semi-normality a long way away? I see so many people thinking/hoping all will be well in a month. I even saw a story about how it could be over by Easter at this rate.
It won't be over in a month, or by Easter. The peak of this outbreak is still weeks ahead of us in the UK, which is why those emergency hospitals like NHS Nightingale are being fast-tracked and put together by military planners.

There also won't be a 'cure'. It's a virus. Perhaps we'll eventually find that some treatments may relieve or reduce some symptoms, that would be insanely useful if proven to help. But our best defence in the future, for everyone including the immuno-suppressed and not just the individual, remains a vaccinated population. Any vaccine is going to take a while to develop (usually at least 18 months). There are several candidates in the early stages of testing, there's a lot of information being shared by labs all over the planet. Even then, manufacturing and rollout takes time.
This is a good read:
www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus vaccine: when will it be ready?

Human trials will begin imminently – but even if they go well and a cure is found, there are many barriers before global immunisation is feasible

That doesn't help us this year though. While we wait, once we have more accurate trackers of how we are coping, how the hospitals are coping etc, that show long-term reduction in numbers implying that we are over the peak, that'll be when we might start predicting when things will get back to 'normal'. So, yeah, you're right in that it's a relatively long time away. Months rather than weeks.

In terms of this 3-4 week timescale that is involved in lockdowns, peaks, Easter, etc etc. This initial, particular lockdown of 3 weeks+ is all about reducing the impact of that peak on the NHS (as there's a delay before such measures might have an observable effect), not addressing the entire length this first 'season' of the outbreak will affect the UK.

Last edited:

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's going to be at least another day before we get reliable numbers again, if ever:

twitter.com

Chris Smyth on Twitter

“We may not get any death figures today, as they are looking at moving to publishing first thing in the morning. Aim is to give more time to collate NHS data and inform families before ages and locations made public 2/2”
Oh boy, how lovely that we'll be able to wake up in the morning and see a freshly-updated death count.

Can't believe how much they're screwing up giving out numbers now. It's so inconsistent.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, how lovely that we'll be able to wake up in the morning and see a freshly-updated death count.

Can't believe how much they're screwing up giving out numbers now. It's so inconsistent.

I hadn't realised before that they hadn't been consistent in terms of the reporting period. I think some of this is BS, but there is no internally-consistent reason for the government to want to reduce the number of deaths reported.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't realised before that they hadn't been consistent in terms of the reporting period. I think some of this is BS, but there is no internally-consistent reason for the government to want to reduce the number of deaths reported.

Just saw this on the Guardian blog, from their summary of the lobby meeting - @12:37pm

"The spokesman confirmed that the way UK coronavirus deaths are recorded and made public is changing (see 11.07am), but he was unable to give details of how. He said Public Health England is moving to a different reporting time. Yesterday was "a cross-over day" in the way they were recording the numbers, he said. But he was unable to explain what would change."

May explain why yesterday was lower, but also doesn't seem necessarily nefarious - hopefully we'll get clarification.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Vue are great round by me, cheap tickets and really nice modern screens!
the screens at my local cineworld have been annoying me because they look so dirty. there are black spots on the screen which i'd describe as dead pixels but i'm not sure how screens are constructed and if they even have pixels lol and the one i usually go to for the superscreen has a big horrible smear across it. it's been like that for at least 5 years. most people probably don't notice or care but i find it distracting.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to contact three so that they can ease off on my monthly payment for my phone and spread it out over a longer period, turns out three doesn't have a single person to take the call for existing customers re. billings and issues. But they do have people available online to sell you their shit. You'd think they'd be able to have their customer support reps work from home.

I asked Paypal to freeze my repayments/not charge interest for Paypal credit for like 2 months like my bank has, and the paypal guy was like "as far as paypal is concerned that's between you and seller and not us" and I'm like didn't the seller get paid in full when I purchased it using paypal credit like any other creditor? And isn't it Paypal who charges me interest + fee for missed payments? It seems to me that some companies are trying to scum their way out of it, while like my utility and internet supplier are being very helpful and understanding.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just breaking on Sky News - but North Yorkshire Police are going to be using checkpoints to ask people whether their travel is essential.

I'm going to get in trouble then..lol.

Have to take my wife to work in the car (as she works in essential work and she doesnt drive) and then have to go pick her back up, I also had to drop her off and pick her back up for food shopping for us and her parents who are isolating... unfortunately life isnt that simple.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

It's easier to tell people 3 weeks now, then another 3 weeks in 3 weeks time, then another 3 weeks after that, etc. than it is to tell people this will be continuing for 4 months up front.

It's the same tactic used in airports and train stations. A series of rolling 30 minute delays doesn't cause the same sort of public order issues an up front 6 hour delay would, even if the 6 hour delay was always the reality.

Because in this situation, people want to be fooled. The lie is infinitely more palatable and digestible than the truth, to the point that it will never even be looked back on as a lie. It'll all be over by Easter, until it'll all be over by the Summer, until it'll all be over by Autumn, until it'll all be over by Christmas. Then once it's over, it's over, and you're so relieved it's over you couldn't give a monkeys what anyone said a month ago, never mind 3 months ago.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

best case is getting some semblance of normal around when the next school year starts. But it won't be quick. If the current situation Gives the nhs` breathing space, they then need to take stock (they've said any actions they take has approx 3 week lag before seeing results). If looks good they may start replacing the full lockdown with a series of relaxations and restrictions - some attempt to control the population mixing so the NHS can still keep on top of things

how they will do that is not clear. How long it will take is not clear

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Reports coming out over the last hour that we've rejected participating in a joint venture with the European Commission with help obtaining PPE.

They've pretty much ordered the full global capacity of gloves, masks and ventilators, asked us if we would like to participate and we said no. Like the twats we are.

twitter.com

Faisal Islam on Twitter

“Confirmation from Number 10 that the UK Govt did not take part in the Joint European Procurement Initiative of millions of pieces of health protective equipment, masks, shields etc - making own efforts. Commission said UK was invited... https://t.co/QOWg3LxhOf https://t.co/4KMgI9dXQw”

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Still cant get over the amount of people I'm seeing on the high street and out and about in general on my way to work this morning. The nice weather ain't helping either

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Still cant get over the amount of people I'm seeing on the high street and out and about in general on my way to work this morning. The nice weather ain't helping either
As long as people maintain social distancing it should be fine.

I saw quite a few people on my walk today but the vast majority kept a decent distance.