• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I didn't know about the 4 weeks carry over. Thanks.

No worries, hope it helps

I get this can be frustrating but it's not the worst thing going on right now. My job is resource planning for a fire service - making sure we have enough people in the right place at the right time. We couldn't cope with everyone taking 12 months of leave in a 9 month period. Our numbers just aren't set up to handle it. We'd end up with fire engines unstaffed.

If you still have a job and you're getting 100% pay, being expected to use a few days leave over the next 3 months is pretty small in the grand scheme of injustices going on up and down the workforce right now.

It's a global company with revenue in the billions, that also immediately gave all staff paycuts ranging from 5 to 20 percent (she got 10). They're just using it as an excuse to cut costs with no thought as to how it affects their staff

And things can always be worse - that doesn't mean you shouldn't call out shitty behaviour when it happens, especially when its as opportunistic as the examples in here.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I see The Sun opted for something different. Applaud the NHS staff you have helped to fuck over for years. Fucking vile cunts

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Could go two ways.

- People will turn on them

- They'll realise the potential for the above and then shift positions heavily - this Government seems fairly reactive

So, hopefully there's a net positive either way.

Of course there is a third option of people just fucking ignoring it, but that's not likely is it?

It's probably going to be the third option...isn't it?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably going to be the third option...isn't it?
tumblr_o7ocltHBPe1tq4of6o1_500.gif

Plum

May 31, 2018
This is my local hospital:

8HD3paX.png

I was due to have some tests there... nope. I think I'll just try and survive on my own.

Man, I hate stories like these. I know they're made to make us youngsters (relative or actual) take this shit seriously but, fucking hell, all it makes me think is that I'm going to die soon when I inevitably get it from work. I fucking hate this.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
BBC reporting 1 million people have applied for UC in just two weeks

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
BBC reporting 1 million people have applied for UC in just two weeks
Yep sounds about right, surprised it's not more honestly.

I feel super lucky as quitting my self employment and taking a basic job at a local council 5 months ago might turn out to be one of the best decisions I've made in my life.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez even the gutter press going after the government.

I think the rags have realised that finally the people are going to learn about how shit this government is soon with so many people dying and top people from the NHS explaining that it's partially due to a lack of funding and equipment and they'd rather throw the government under the bus to save themselves than try and defend them.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a holiday in June and accept I'll unlikely be going. It is a 10 day trip to Thailand. Work emailed to say all leave cannot be cancelled due to the crisis.

I now have spent almost half a year's leave to sit at home in June for 10 days.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a holiday in June and accept I'll unlikely be going. It is a 10 day trip to Thailand. Work emailed to say all leave cannot be cancelled due to the crisis.

Sorry about that. I have something scheduled in May with 10 days' holiday and if my boss tries to do that to me I'm gonna have to try and negotiate it down to half of that, at least. I'll go crazy sitting at home for two weeks doing nothing.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020

I should be boarding my plane from Munich to Bangkok at this very moment for a 3 week trip. I was saving for years for this trip. Now I am sitting at home for 3 weeks and can't even leave my home. worst vacation ever.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
Sky News do a pretty good job of explaining the data on tv as well

that's the danger of extrapolation vs interpolation - they are only looking at the daily rate which, as we can see, is not consistent.

either way, the numbers are awful.

hopefully we will be able to see an impact of 2 weeks lockdown on next weeks figures. Even if we dont see much change, i dread to imagine what they would have been like if were were not on lockdown

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I should be boarding my plane from Munich to Bangkok at this very moment for a 3 week trip. I was saving for years for this trip. Now I am sitting at home for 3 weeks and can't even leave my home. worst vacation ever.

It's real depressing, isn't it :(. I know there's a lot of serious issues going on right now, but these little knocks add up to be huge as the time goes on.

It's going to suck having to work from July to April of next year using my annual leave as sparingly as possible. I won't so much as get a break. It's really depressing and I'm 100% convinced I won't get my money back since Etihad has grounded all flights and are in financial ruins as it is and Loveholidays, who I booked through, are only offering vouchers and not cash back.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
www.reuters.com

Taiwan to spend $35 billion fighting virus, to donate 10 million masks

Taiwan dramatically upped its estimate for how much it would spend helping the economy deal with the impact of the coronavirus to $35 billion on Wednesday, and said it would donate 10 million face masks to the most needy countries.

Any chance Bojo the clown will donate 10 million masks to this nation that stupidly gave him a majority? Aye.....fuckin'....right.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017

Uhhhh what? I'd seek advice on this. It's your annual leave, you can do whatever the fuck you want with it. I cancelled mine.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Uhhhh what? I'd seek advice on this. It's your annual leave, you can do whatever the fuck you want with it. I cancelled mine.
If it's a certain amount of leave you should be legally entitled to it? Regardless of a crisis you still have your rights.

I reckon a lot of companies are going to exploit the fact that people will feel sheepish about kicking off over leave in a crisis, but it doesn't matter.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it's a certain amount of leave you should be legally entitled to it? Regardless of a crisis you still have your rights.

I reckon a lot of companies are going to exploit the fact that people will feel sheepish about kicking off over leave in a crisis, but it doesn't matter.

This is what I'm unsure of. Can they really do this? There's no chance I'm using half a year to sit at home and do f*all.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
I'm 100% convinced I won't get my money back since Etihad has grounded all flights and are in financial ruins as it is and Loveholidays, who I booked through, are only offering vouchers and not cash back.

Well there is always the EU flight passengers regulation 261/2004. It applies to all flights by EU airlines or flights that start at a EU airport, stating you can get your money back if your Airline cancels your flight. Problem is that it only applies to your flight to Bangkok and you will have to fight Etihad all the way to court to get it back. I choose the Etihad credit in the end, but I will make sure to only book with EU airlines in the future

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any data which suggests how long between contracting the virus and deaths? I had heard 14 days bu have no source to back that up.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
There is another scheduled clap tonight at 8pm. Many NHS workers already came out after the first to call it patronising and unhelpful and to instead show support by following government instructions, not hoarding food etc. As well as PPE and testing for workers.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Has there been any data which suggests how long between contracting the virus and deaths? I had heard 14 days bu have no source to back that up.
www.vox.com

Did the coronavirus get more deadly? The death rate, explained.

Trump says Covid-19 isn’t that deadly. Here’s what we know.
"It takes a long time to die" from Covid-19, said University of Toronto epidemiologist David Fisman. "We estimate the length of stay in cases who died in ICU in China to be 28 days on average — three days in hospital and 25 days in ICU."

If we run out of ICU space, the average will be a lot lower than 28 days.

edit: this might be a better source. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30243-7/fulltext

I found that link from this tweet:

Last edited:

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

20 to 30 days on average. But there are super large error bars.

~4 days until symptoms

~8 days until hospitalisation

~18 days in hospital

The Cheltenham Festival ended 20 days ago.

The Lockdown started 10 days ago.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
An ice rink near me (Planet Ice in Milton Keynes) is being converted into a temporary mortuary. It's a good use of it but definitely one of those headlines I never expected to see.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How long does a fever usually last with covid-19? My daughter got a high fever yesterday and we were pretty worried but her temps are back in the normal range today although she still feels a bit warm to touch. She said she still doesn't feel great but hasn't had any coughing or breathlessness at all so we're hoping it was something unrelated.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
There is another scheduled clap tonight at 8pm. Many NHS workers already came out after the first to call it patronising and unhelpful and to instead show support by following government instructions, not hoarding food etc. As well as PPE and testing for workers.
My girlfriend went to Tesco on Sunday morning when they opened early for NHS workers, and all the people in the public queue applauded them in. She found it excruciatingly awkward.

I know people mean well but it's extremely patronising and getting close to American-style "thank you for your service" bollocks.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
My girlfriend went to Tesco on Sunday morning when they opened early for NHS workers, and all the people in the public queue applauded them in. She found it excruciatingly awkward.

I know people mean well but it's extremely patronising and getting close to American-style "thank you for your service" bollocks.
And there's also an excruciating amount of dickheads who are trying to get into the NHS hours, or queuing in such a way that blocks them getting in.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017

Many also appreciated it. I see nothing wrong with it as long as you also do the things NHS workers want like following government instructions, not hoarding food, and not voting sociopaths who want to break up the NHS into power with a massive majority on the back of a campaign of lies and personal attacks.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Teeth are hurting so having to phone emergency number for dentist.

I was really trying to ignore it and hope the pain goes away so I don't have to go outside (waiting on callback just now so still don't know if I'll defo have to go out ;-;)

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019

Yeah but people like to feel good about themselves

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
This is what I'm unsure of. Can they really do this? There's no chance I'm using half a year to sit at home and do f*all.

I've had this as well, my manager encouraging me to turn a few days off in September into a full week. To be honest, I kind of support it in a way. You can't have an entire office save up all their holidays for months on end, then all try to go off at the same time. It won't work and some people will be forced to miss out.

Having said that, she then tried to bully me into it by suggesting that if I only took the end of the week, I'd have to do my weekly reports early. This is par for the course with her but typical for the way management handles situations like this. Rather than having a n honest discussion with your workforce, just try and strong-arm them to do what you want.

I appreciate this is a novel situation for everyone but I can't understand why managers don't try to work with their colleagues to solve it rather than implying that it's avoiding a miserable isolated holiday is miscreant behavior.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Torygraph is asking questions? Ye gods, our rea;ity is fucked
[

Had to check outside to see if a pig was not flying. You know the government has fucked up when the Telegraph is even asking questions.

I know I'm a cynical mofo when it comes to this, but do remember that it's nearly 5 years out to the next election. I assume it's calculated in that they can drive sales now while also not actually affecting anything. They wouldn't be doing it if they thought questioning the government would actually affect the chances of the tories remaining in power.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Many also appreciated it. I see nothing wrong with it as long as you also do the things NHS workers want like following government instructions, not hoarding food, and not voting sociopaths who want to break up the NHS into power with a massive majority on the back of a campaign of lies and personal attacks.
Ooh yeah about that...

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but people like to feel good about themselves
Frankly, these claps are just as much for the public's benefit as they are to praise the NHS.

It's heartwarming to see communities coming together to celebrate the NHS, it boosts morale in the public. That's an important thing.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
The applauding the NHS is the cringiest shit ever. Why does everything these days have to be some kid of viral challenge (god, i hate the phrase "viral" now). Why does everything have to be about following everyone else down some lame path for their twitter of facebook visibility? The NHS aren't even in the thick of it yet, and it's already passe.

If you want to help the NHS, offer donations to charities that provide them meals, stop hoarding, stop going out, and for fuck sake, don't fall for Tory lies and DONT VOTE TORY AGAIN. If you voted Tory in the last decade, you personally contributed to the mess the NHS is in.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Teeth are hurting so having to phone emergency number for dentist.

I was really trying to ignore it and hope the pain goes away so I don't have to go outside (waiting on callback just now so still don't know if I'll defo have to go out ;-;)

Quick update to this: yay don't have to go out. Getting anti-biotics which my mum is dropping off to us later. (we're in the vulnerable category which is why she drops things off so we don't have to risk going out) which will hopefully help.

This still sucks so much, having to be so fucking careful . urgh.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Frankly, these claps are just as much for the public's benefit as they are to praise the NHS.

It's heartwarming to see communities coming together to celebrate the NHS, it boosts morale in the public. That's an important thing.

They aren't to praise the NHS at all, if you actually cared there are lots of other things you could do to actually show your support.
All it does for me is remind me how stupid this country is.