• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Soooo they've given people on Universal Credit a small boost.....but those on ESA,JSA, Income support,Carers,Self Employed can all go do one...I see
I'd recommend anyone worried about this to email their MP and ask them to look at the coronavirus bill with your concerns in mind. It's going to get rushed through early next week and a lot of people will fall through the cracks as you mention.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
The pubs here are absolutely bursting with people. Sigh.

Just drove home through the countryside, and my nearest pub is bustling!

And I live in a small village full of mostly old retired people. What are they bloody thinking...

Boris can make anyone look good, but at least they have got off their arses at last.

I fucking detest the Tories, but you are right, they've finally booted themselves up the arse and got on with things at long last.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Herd immunity without a vaccine is fucking stupid and those advocating for it believe that 3% of the population are expendable. We have - or had herd immunity for say, measles because of the MMR. This is decreasing because people are idiots. Without a vaccine for C-19 those with suppressed immune systems will die. People with no symptoms can still be carriers for the disease and we are currently unaware if people can reinfected, we don't even know if it behaves like other corona viruses, e.g. common cold where the body builds a temporary immunity.
This is why I asked you to expand on your 1 sentence remarks because one you did it belied your ignorance on the matter.

3% death is not a figure for herd immunity. It's a figure for unchecked mass infection of the entire population. No one is advocating for that. I've explained very clearly 5 or 6 times now the process that would take place. I've dealt with this fictional mis-characterisation at least 5 times now. Read those responses if you're interested in a good faith discussion. Otherwise stop calling people "fucking stupid" when it's you that's constructing strawmen.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
This report on the collapse of the Italian healthcare system by Sky News should be shown to everyone still taking this lightly.

This is a look at the future here in the UK the way it's going.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. This thread is huge. I've been hearing about mortgage relief as well. Any information on that?

Mortgage relief

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Damn. This thread is huge. I've been hearing about mortgage relief as well. Any information on that?

Redirect Notice

3 month break if you are struggling

If keeping up with your bills and food on the table may be a challenge, speak to your bank. On Tuesday 17 March, banks agreed with the Chancellor that they will offer 'forbearance' (tolerance and help) on mortgages.

This means they all should offer those struggling a three-month 'holiday', allowing customers a temporary break from having to make mortgage payments during this time. (Though it's worth noting this is a voluntary agreement with banks – it isn't compulsory for them to offer mortgage holidays.)
How would this work in practice? Again we await final confirmation, but here's how it typically works. Let's imagine you have 19 years and three months left on your mortgage. For the next three months you wouldn't pay anything. Then when your mortgage repayments resume, the total you owe would be spread over the following 19 years – so you would see a very small uplift in future payments.
You will still be charged interest - but it's added to the total cost and you get short-term respite. It's worth noting that if you take a mortgage holiday you WILL still be charged interest for the time you're not making payments. But you won't have to pay it back immediately - it'll be added on to the total cost of your mortgage and factored into repayments when you start making them again.

Oct 26, 2017
This is why I asked you to expand on your 1 sentence remarks because one you did it belied your ignorance on the matter.

3% death is not a figure for herd immunity. It's a figure for unchecked mass infection of the entire population. No one is advocating for that. I've explained very clearly 5 or 6 times now the process that would take place. I've dealt with this fictional mis-characterisation at least 5 times now. Read those responses if you're interested in a good faith discussion. Otherwise stop calling people "fucking stupid" when it's you that's constructing strawmen.

Herd immunity is directly related to vaccines. If not it relies on mass infection, which is why I mentioned the 3%

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
The ICL policy is suppression, with cyclic relaxation and reimplementation of controls based on predicted hospital capacity. They think you can't wipe out the virus completely without a vaccine, and you can't lockdown for 18 months and you can't just let the NHS collapse, so you have to cycle the lockdown. The model was very crude, and they suggest more more tuning of controls and possible local measures could be used, but that model wasn't sophisticated enough to handle that. The model also didn't account for case-tracking and targeted quarrantines, so some people think that's a better option for totally suppressing the virus (this is what Asian countries are trying).

The eventual goal is herd immunity via vaccination. Until then, it's as much suppression as we can bear for 18 months. The total number of infections must be a kept to a very small proportion of the population or we overload to he NHS.

The maths don't work for herd immunity via infection. That's what was explained to Boris an his cobra buddies over the weekend. We can't infect enough people to get herd immunity without overloading the NHS by at least 15 times, and that was with probable underestimates of the fraction needing hospitalisation.

Boris clearly doesn't understand his briefings and government policy is all over the place, but that is the ICL's interim modelling recommendation. Extreme social distancing, isolation of cases and school closures should be in place when 200 ICU beds are full. I think that would be about now, based on our death rate.

Unfortunately, the government are also taking advise from previous models that suggested suppression is impossible, but that was because they assumed it was impossible to suppress for more than 3 months. This was why they did nothing, because doing nothing is easy and they found some pessimistic models to justify it. And like an oil tanker, it's hard for them to mentally change course.

The government's advice panel (it's published on the gov website but I'm on a phone so can't link it now) literally explains the reason we have shut the schools...
The behavioural science unit advise that failure to follow other countries will result in a loss of confidence in the UK government. So we need to do it too, to look credible. Politicians understand the need to follow public opinion better than how to follow sinusoïdal logistic curves and exponential growth equations, so that's what's kicked them into action.

In suspect we'll fuck it right up, because Boris will focus on reacting to public opinion, which means we'll lock down too late.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
The ICL policy is suppression, with cyclic relaxation and reimplementation of controls based on predicted hospital capacity. They think you can't wipe out the virus completely without a vaccine, and you can't lockdown for 18 months and you can't just let the NHS collapse, so you have to cycle the lockdown. The model was very crude, and they suggest more more tuning of controls and possible local measures could be used, but that model wasn't sophisticated enough to handle that. The model also didn't account for case-tracking and targeted quarrantines, so some people think that's a better option for totally suppressing the virus (this is what Asian countries are trying).

The eventual goal is herd immunity via vaccination. Until then, it's as much suppression as we can bear for 18 months. The total number of infections must be a kept to a very small proportion of the population or we overload to he NHS.

The maths don't work for herd immunity via infection. That's what was explained to Boris an his cobra buddies over the weekend. We can't infect enough people to get herd immunity without overloading the NHS by at least 15 times, and that was with probable underestimates of the fraction needing hospitalisation.

Boris clearly doesn't understand his briefings and government policy is all over the place, but that is the ICL's interim modelling recommendation. Extreme social distancing, isolation of cases and school closures should be in place when 200 ICU beds are full. I think that would be about now, based on our death rate.

Unfortunately, the government are also taking advise from previous models that suggested suppression is impossible, but that was because they assumed it was impossible to suppress for more than 3 months. This was why they did nothing, because doing nothing is easy and they found some pessimistic models to justify it. And like an oil tanker, it's hard for them to mentally change course.

The government's advice panel (it's published on the gov website but I'm on a phone so can't link it now) literally explains the reason we have shut the schools...
The behavioural science unit advise that failure to follow other countries will result in a loss of confidence in the UK government. So we need to do it too, to look credible. Politicians understand the need to follow public opinion better than how to follow sinusoïdal logistic curves and exponential growth equations, so that's what's kicked them into action.

In suspect we'll fuck it right up, because Boris will focus on reacting to public opinion, which means we'll lock down too late.

Thanks for quite the thorough assessment of things. Does the bold mean we're on or behind schedule, as it were?

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

I think we have already locked down to late, a week after all the other countries, but I guess we'll see how it pans out.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't heard anything about Ireland so far. Whats the situation over there right now?

It was rising slowly, but now we saw two or three days of 100+ cases. So now we are seeing lots of messages to take it more serious. Governments and stores are taking it seriously. Lots of reminders about social distancing. But some people aren't. 15.000 is the predicted number (by government) by end of March, and everyone says hospital won't deal with that. A doctor I know said "we were working on the edge before this happen, it will be bad"

I personally think were are doing a lot of the right things, but we were slow to get there. And now we need to do everything better

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Older generation continue to blow my mind... both my wife's parents are at the pub tonight (not together, they're divorced).

Both 60+, and apparently both invincible.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Good use of threes, good use of repetition, parralelism. It also acted as a good epilogue to the speech, switching from factual to emotive. Dude did pretty well.

Oh cool; I'd be interested to see it in transcript form again. That speechwriter need a raise.

And yeah, the clear switch it time to become more emotive and rousing is what stood out to me. I think that's the first time Imve been blown away by a politician's speech.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
The maths don't work for herd immunity via infection. That's what was explained to Boris and his cobra buddies over the weekend. We can't infect enough people to get herd immunity without overloading the NHS by at least 15 times, and that was with probable underestimates of the fraction needing hospitalisation.

To follow up on this, if I'm reading these figures right, there were 4,123 adult critical care beds 'open' in NHS England in January 2020, of which 3,423 were already occupied. That's 83% occupation before this really started. These are the beds they give to critical care patients, i.e. those that need ventilation. Of course, the rest of the country is going to get sick just as normal, and they'll need to be treated too. There will have been an increase in the number since then, but given how desperately Matt Hancock and the like were for ventilators earlier this week, it doesn't look like the capacity to increase the numbers of critical care beds was that great to begin with.

So, yeah, if in a month's time 5,000 people have the virus and are in need of ventilation, they just by themselves would overwhelm the critical care system.

Nov 14, 2017
Government scientific advisers have already said that if they can get death down to 20,000 or below that will be fantastic achievement. In the best of best case scenarios they're already consigned to thousands dying.

It clearly is. If government policy was to drop infection rates to below 1 then they'd have called a complete shutdown days ago. That is they only way to achieve that. What we are seeing is what I keep telling you yet you keep willfully refusing to address and consistently mischaracterising. They adopting a suppression method with a staggered approach in order to allow for a greater infection spread among the healthy for the greatest time possible before it's not feasible.

Just think about it rationally, what has changed with the outbreak that schools were safe to be open for this entire past week but not next week? What has changed with this outbreak that pub, clubs. bar etc... were safe to be open yesterday but not tomorrow? Nothing. Do you honestly think health experts have changed their minds in a day? Do you honestly think a days delay has any serious economic benefit? No. The point was allow to continued controlled spread. Just look at the wording being used to justify the actions "now it the time to exert more downward force on the curve". Why now? All that's happened between now and yesterday was more people infected. And that is the point.

Eventually the government will want R0 to be 1 or below but what they don't want is to achieve that too early or too aggressively because as I keep telling you it'll be all for nothing once they relax measures and outbreaks resume as we have little to no breaks within the transmission line.

You keep conflating two completely separate things despite me correcting you 3 times now. Mitigation and herd immunity are two different things. What you keep trying to critique is the mitigation process. With mitigation the policy was to only isolate those with the disease and over 70s. That is it. That's all the measures that would have been place. That's what people keep talking about when they mention these half a million figures. That was the governments policy, but it no longer is. What the government is now doing is suppression whereby they are calling for social distancing of anyone with potential symptoms and their families, closure of schools and universities and preventing large gatherings. Now the problem with this route is, and if you read the ICL report you'd know this since it's littered across it, is that once measures are relaxed you'll see an even massive spike of cases in the winter months.

Screenshot-2020-03-17-at-15-11-50--tojpeg_1584458034269_x2.jpg

Do you see that green and orange spikes in November and December? That's what I keep telling you. It's beyond pointless to enact extreme suppression methods now if ~8months time when you relax them you're going to have an even worse situation. So as I keep telling you what the government are doing is walking a tight rope between suppressing the infection enough so that it doesn't impact the at risk but also allowed enough infection so some degree of herd immunity builds up to a sufficient level so that by the winter months we have enough breaks in the transmission chain that we can bring that curve down. Because it's not realistic in the slightest to have these strict measures in place for 18 months.

You're misconstruing herd immunity and mitigation. They are two different things. All the stats you're listing are NOT about herd immunity, they're about a mitigation policy. Before you call people morons at lest get that basic distinction correct.

Even with a strict suppression policy models have shown without a doubt that cases will spike to peak levels if herd immunity have not been achieved. The literature is littered with this exact point, how you all keep missing it is beyond me.

That's what the government is doing. Suppressing the infection but trying to build up enough herd immunity that we don't see a recurrence of cases once it's relaxed.
The editor of The Lancet said quite explicitly that if we allow 60% of the population to get infected we'll see 400,000 people die. That's with a 1% overall death rate, which is actually a low estimate considering how fatal we know it is. We'd be very lucky to get the overall death rate that low even if the infection was spread out over a year.

Right now you're basically saying it's government policy to let that happen while publicly denying it. Is that what you're saying?

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Regulatly attending the gym is vital for my mental health.

Anyone have good home work out routines they can reccomend? I dont have any equipment, unfortunately.
Yoga with Adrienne, calming, she's lovely, has cute dog. While I'd recommend it for mental health if you need the intense workout too maybe start with one focused on core, you'll feel it. Pick a gentle hippy one at random you may never do it again.

R/bodyweight fitness is good too but I think the recommend routine needs more equipment these days. Still a good resource though.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finish my current job on March 31st but don't start my next job until April 13th, as such I won't be earning anything between this period which really sucks. Before this crisis I didn't think this gap was going to effect me much, but as things are getting progressively worse I am starting to feel very concerned.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Sorry for the daily mail article, basically Northwick Park Hospital turning patients to other hospitals. They're worried about a domino effect.

Northwick Park Hospital, in Harrow, north-west London, has today declared that its intensive care unit is completely full because of a surge in coronavirus patients

There are fears that coronavirus patients taking up hundreds or thousands of hospital beds will mean other patients cannot get the care they need and die as a result.

A director at another hospital in the capital told the HSJ: 'Given we're in the low foothills of this virus, this is f***ing petrifying.'

I hope ambulances have ventilators.

Herd immunity was the initial "tactic" and it took them this long to turn it around. It's going to be so much worse in a week or two.

ExNiAcT.png

Up to 5500 new cases per day now.

UK only has 4000 ICU beds. And the patients need a month of intensive treatment.

Last edited:

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Herd immunity is directly related to vaccines. If not it relies on mass infection, which is why I mentioned the 3%
That's not true at all. The threshold for herd immunity is directly related to how infectious a disease is. In the measles cases you used as an example that particular illness could see an carrier infect 18 others which why it needed 95% herd immunity to bring R0 down below 1. With COVID-19 a carrier can infect 2-3 so you're looking at around 50-60%. By isolating those at risk (sick and elderly) ensuring social distancing from them you can achieve that 50-60% infection rate and have that 3% mortality figure drop significantly since you're excluding effectively everyone that's susceptible to dying from this.

This is why I keep saying the 3% figure is not applicable to this discussion since it's a figure based on infecting everyone. Whether they are at risk or not. What was proposed if you actually listen to what Patrick Vaallance said was spread this between healthy individuals that would develope "very mild" reactions to it and protect "the most vulnerable". The measure is not to let this run rampant and infect 80 year olds with heart disease and lung infection. It's to isolate people like that and instead let the diseases run it's course through healthier younger people so that you break the transmission chain to those vulnerable people. That is the entire point. Because right now the virus has a clear line of sight to those at risk people.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Anyone have good home work out routines they can reccomend? I dont have any equipment, unfortunately.

google resistance/bodyweight exercises. Try making your own small weights with tins or milk cartons filled with water

if you have a switch, ring fit is great

Nov 14, 2017
That's not true at all. The threshold for herd immunity is directly related to how infectious a disease is. In the measles cases you used as an example that particular illness could see an carrier infect 18 others which why it needed 95% herd immunity to bring R0 down below 1. With COVID-19 a carrier can infect 2-3 so you're looking at around 50-60%. By isolating those at risk (sick and elderly) ensuring social distancing from them you can achieve that 50-60% infection rate and have that 3% mortality figure drop significantly since you're excluding effectively everyone that's susceptible to dying from this.

This is why I keep saying the 3% figure is not applicable to this discussion since it's a figure based on infecting everyone. Whether they are at risk or not. What was proposed if you actually listen to what Patrick Vaallance said was spread this between healthy individuals that would develope "very mild" reactions to it and protect "the most vulnerable". The measure is not to let this run rampant and infect 80 year olds with heart disease and lung infection. It's to isolate people like that and instead let the diseases run it's course through healthier younger people so that you break the transmission chain to those vulnerable people. That is the entire point.
It's been pointed out to you several times that herd immunity is no longer the strategy. The president of the WHO said today that even young people are getting hospitalised for weeks. Even a generous estimate for the herd immunity strategy is a 1% death rate, and Richard Horton said that Vallance was wrong with his initial approach.

Are you still claiming the approach is to let 60% of people get infected? Do you accept that approach will result in ~40m infections and 400k deaths?

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo they've given people on Universal Credit a small boost.....but those on ESA,JSA, Income support,Carers,Self Employed can all go do one...I see

Indeed and like I said earlier, nothing on people who are waiting on PIP tribunals and shit (like my wife) :(. With all this isolation, fuck knows what's going on with this.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For those in BT / EE contact centres, how have the last couple days been? Seemed to be getting pretty tense but hopefully today's announcement that telecoms workers can be on the key workers list will have helped a bit

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
For those in BT / EE contact centres, how have the last couple days been? Seemed to be getting pretty tense but hopefully today's announcement that telecoms workers can be on the key workers list will have helped a bit

As a field based communication worker who doesn't have children I can't really say but my colleagues seem reassured regarding their children etc.
My anxiety with the whole situation is off the scale.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Thought about going running?

I suppose it depends where you live. I can go for a jog from my house and on my typical route I'll jog past a single dog walker if I'm lucky.. keeping a sizeable social distance now of course.

But if you live in a town or city I realise that's going to be a little more difficult.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a field based communication worker who doesn't have children I can't really say but my colleagues seem reassured regarding their children etc.
My anxiety with the whole situation is off the scale.

Ah look after yourself Dan; stressful times but we'll get through it!

Are you going into customer houses?

I'm fortunate enough to work from home so less effected than others but have offered to step into contact centres to cover if needed and offered to donate my leave into a pool so people who really need it can use it but not sure how practical or possible it is

You're up near me aren't you? I seen cricket clubs here (cherry tree, Blackburn) were doing £2 a pint tonight to get people in and get through the stock

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

This is why I keep saying the 3% figure is not applicable to this discussion since it's a figure based on infecting everyone. Whether they are at risk or not. What was proposed if you actually listen to what Patrick Vaallance said was spread this between healthy individuals that would develope "very mild" reactions to it and protect "the most vulnerable". The measure is not to let this run rampant and infect 80 year olds with heart disease and lung infection. It's to isolate people like that and instead let the diseases run it's course through healthier younger people so that you break the transmission chain to those vulnerable people. That is the entire point. Because right now the virus has a clear line of sight to those at risk people.

Your going to go on about this forever aren't you, no matter how the facts roll out, no matter how many deaths happen, "should've done herd immunity shouldn't we". I'd like to see your past examples and studies for how we have successfully implemented herd immunity for any disease without a vaccine, and without it killing a ton of people. There is no way we can infect 90 percent of the percent of the population or however many people it requires for your fictional herd immunity, without it killing the majority of the at risk people. We don't even know exactly who the at risk people are(specifically, we know demographically but even supposed young healthy people are getting sick from it, doctors are dying from it, you or I could be at risk from it). This is an new unknown virus, we still do not even know if you as an individual become immune to it if get it. There's so much we don't know about this virus but lets just use our county as petri dish and test out some wacky theories like "everyone gets and it and everything's, fine" who knows we could even mutate a more deadlier form of it. But who cares its worth all the people dying to get our magical herd immunity(/s).

Last edited:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017

This is in no way an attack on you or any telecoms worker - we absolutely need you to keep the country going - but the size of that list is making me wonder how many kids will be in school on Monday. I've not heard of a single place that is closed, a lot of schools have said that all staff are to be in because they just don't know how many kids there will be. We could be in a bizarre Schrodinger's School situation.

ruttyboy

Oct 29, 2017
Forced herd immunity by pushing infection is like setting fire to a wooden door to make it fireproof. Sure, the hinges are fine, but there's no wood left.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is in no way an attack on you or any telecoms worker - we absolutely need you to keep the country going - but the size of that list is making me wonder how many kids will be in school on Monday. I've not heard of a single place that is closed, a lot of schools have said that all staff are to be in because they just don't know how many kids there will be. We could be in a bizarre Schrodinger's School situation.

I don't disagree, I could argue to be on the list but it would be nonsense as I'm in a corporate role.

We absolutely need people keeping to network running so people in customer care and openreach engineers but the rest of us not so much.

Interesting that on my sons letter from school they mentioned they wanted contacts for your employer to check it you really were in a critical role.

There's certainly going to be more trying to stay in school than I initially thought

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Just reheat the food, after getting it out of the box and packaging. Modern microwaves can blast the heat right into the food and very, very likely kill the virus after 30 seconds.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018

everyones a key worker according to the government.
Home internet isn't important no matter how much people moan about it.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There were lots of parents trying it on at my partner's school today, not wanting to keep them for a month. One mother claimed she worked in the pharmacutical industry and was a necessary key worker and her son couldn't possibly stay at home. A bit of digging later, it turns out she works at a makeup counter in Boots.