• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Fuck loads of people are WFH now. How we supposed to do that without internet?

You don't basically.
lots of people can't work from home and they've at home isolating so what difference does it make if you can or can't work from home.

wat.

"some people can't work from home yet stay home so there's no difference if people can or can't WFH"

Because what we need now is to eradicate the last vestiges of a service economy...

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I expect the government will probably go the austerity route again, what are the chances of a pandemic happening again they'll say! They will cut taxes for the rich post Brexit policy, you know they wanted to do this anyway but people will accept any and all measures they table after this even if it's bad in the belief it needs to be done. The Tories are doing a lot now because the economy going down the tubes is worse but after, I remain unconvinced.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing (but not surprising) how many people still use that term

I live in Caversham/Reading area and you wouldn't actually know anything is different here other than pubs being shut, town centre was full of old people yesterday just pottering around

Yep. Just popped into local town to pick up some food and get some essentials. Looked like a normal Saturday afternoon. I worry about what could be a couple of weeks around the corner.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
I work in retail on a retail industrial estate. Place is absolutely heaving today. Took me an extra 20 mins just to get into our car park due to queueing traffic. Stay at home message just ain't cutting it.

Working all the hours under the sun at the moment to cope with demand and a skeleton staff. Our company managed to get 'Essential service' status yesterday too so we're in for the long haul.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realise UK Era was so big, we get a whole thread for ourselves...to moan about Boris in...I like it

Nov 14, 2017
I know that's what he said. What I am saying that that is not the strategy. When herd immunity was mentioned by Patrick Vallance he explicitly said it was about developing it among the healthy that would have a mild reaction to it and explicitly mentioned shielding the vulnerable. These 400,000 figures are taking into account 60% of everyone getting infected. That's not what's being proposed here.

You're way off. It's not low at all. Most uptodate models we have today have shown it actually might end up being less than 1%. Sage have said they fully expect it to be between 0.5-1%.
OK, so say the death rate is in the range 0.5% to 1%. That would be 200k to 400k, which is pretty much the range of outcomes Imperial predicted with the various mitigation strategies. At this point it's just a question of basic numeracy. You have stated the policy is to allow 60% overall infection, but there is no world where that doesn't result in hundreds of thousands of deaths. The policy has changed to try and avoid that outcome.

No, mitigation is no longer the strategy. I've corrected this misconception numerous times yet it keeps being ignored. And of course the young "can" be hospitalised from the infection. The young also "can" be hospitalised from flu. The young also "can" be hospitalised from wisdom teeth complications etc..point is were are talking about a extremely rare occurrence and every single piece of research unanimously backs that up.
This here shows that you don't understand population statistics. A difference of 0.1% and 0.01% on a population level is huge. Hospitalisation is rare on an individual level, but staggering on a population level. Even with 60% infection limited to under 65s spread out over 18 months, it would overwhelm the critical care capacity in the NHS by at least a factor of two. That's assuming all beds were allocated for COVID patients btw, and not accounting for the fact that something like 90% of critical care beds are currently taken. So, given that I think the real number is something like a factor of 10.

On a population level, COVID is significantly more dangerous than the flu, even amongst the young. Your comparison is dangerous and disingenuous.

As I pointed out above, 1% is not a generous estimation with the most uptodate figures we have. And the policy change was from mitigation to suppression. Herd immunity is not exclusive to either one and is actually stated as a factor in the success of either of them.
Again, you're wrong here. The Imperial report only discussed herd immunity in context of mitigation. They admit that a problem with suppression is that there is no herd immunity, and so suppression and extensive controls have to continue for many months (maybe 5+).

The current recommendation is not to acquire herd immunity through 60% infection over any timescale. The current policy is suppression to get the retransmission rate R₀ to as close or below 1 as possible.

Look, I appreciate you're doing your best to read all this and keep yourself informed. I get it - it's all very confusing. It doesn't help that the govt has basically done a total U-turn this week either.

So, lets do this in summary. If 60% of people in the UK get infected at 0.5% mortality then 200k people die. Everyone agrees that's unacceptable. So, the policy has now changed to get the retransmission rate as close to 1 as possible, or ideally beneath 1.

Also, COVID is incredibly dangerous. There is no mild COVID, not even for young people. Comparisons to flu are dangerous and disingenuous. This last point it something I really want to get you to agree on - herd immunity means thousands of people, even young people, die before their time.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Sitting in my car watching car after car after car drive into Starbucks drive thru then throw their hands up when they realize it is closed.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
My neighbours popped around with a little bit of food, bless em. They know I'm vulnerable.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
After doing much reading on the economic plan (which is great for the most part) it seems self employed people are screwed as all they can claim for is Universal credit, which just comes down primarily to SSP. They probably should've taken past year's average earnings and used that to include them in the 80% income pledge as well. This means my GF is basically not going to make anything because there's no market for her to be self employed atm and she can't claim income via HMRC.

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
Haha throwing around BT's name like it means something. If anyone should quiet their noise, it's you. Your first post sounds like something a CEO would say which you are not, your second reply ignores everything I said and again sounds like a CEO saying how important it is and 'pulling together'. If you know anything about Openreach or BT, they are completely separate now and barely have anything to do with each other, especially on the front line. What front line does BT have? 'As far as I am aware there is some teams that set up broadband for customers, usually businesses who pay extra for it in the business but that's it, hardly the public is it.
You have no idea what work stacks we get, the type of job or customer we do. You would be surprised how many old people have mobiles and say 'I barely use the house phone, but I noticed it was a bit crackly, so I reported it'
I'm not arguing that 90% of the jobs are pointless and do not need doing, they just don't need doing in this climate. And I am telling you 80-90% of the work is peoples home internet not working or actually installing a working line to a house who just moved or was on Virign.

'Thats the gig' lol? That's what our CEO said and a front line engineer told him directly to get on the tools, stop isolating and go in peoples houses. Its easy telling others to take risks.

Again dude, I get this is scary shit, but that's the job right now. If you feel so strong about it, quit. We all have to make sacrifices right now, some more than others, but that's how we as a society get through this.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I covered a shift for a colleague the other day to help her stay at home a bit given she's vulnerable and super stressed atm, the next morning the waded through all the ques at Aldi and came to work with a bunch of shopping for me the absolute diamond, then gave me a lift home because she didn't want me catching the buses.

I did some more for my mum this morning, stock was better now there's limits in place but you'd never know people have been asked to stay at home, Sainsburys was packed. I work with quite a lot of vulnerable people and i'm scared to even ask if they're staying in because if they aren't i'm gonna be worried sick and fall out with them. I'm pushing for people to stay and work at home when they can but i don't think they're taking much notice.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I started getting a cough on Thursday night so decided we needed to self isolate for two weeks. We are well stocked up but actually doing it is harder than it sounds, because every online shopping service is booked up for at least the next two weeks. Luckily we already had a slot booked in, but that doesn't come for another week.

We're probably going to end up ordering milk from the local BP garage on Deliveroo...

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
If you've got anyone young thinking this isn't an issue for them. While the death rate from COVID is spiked towards the oldest people, in the US the hospitalisation rate seems to be pretty high for 20-74

ETaHohPWAAAys4i.jpg

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Didn't realise UK Era was so big, we get a whole thread for ourselves...to moan about Boris in...I like it

The community before the great exodus was pretty huge, this tribe has lost quite a few people since we arrived, there's not enough people to argue about barm cake and the other incorrect names anymore.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
If you've got anyone young thinking this isn't an issue for them. While the death rate from COVID is spiked towards the oldest people, in the US the hospitalisation rate seems to be pretty high for 20-74

ETaHohPWAAAys4i.jpg

I read yesterday that it leaves scarring on the lungs which is probably not a good thing. Whether that's true or not, I wouldn't want to risk whatever the long term effects might be.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

ETaHohPWAAAys4i.jpg

I imagine with their shitty system that there's a lot of people wandering around with untreated conditions etc.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I started getting a cough on Thursday night so decided we needed to self isolate for two weeks. We are well stocked up but actually doing it is harder than it sounds, because every online shopping service is booked up for at least the next two weeks. Luckily we already had a slot booked in, but that doesn't come for another week.

We're probably going to end up ordering milk from the local BP garage on Deliveroo...

That's why I've got sympathy for "panic buyers". Everyone has the image of middle class people driving up in their range rover and having multiple trolleys full of supplies but the reality is a lot of working people having a few days' food at most and they've just been told they need to be able to isolate for a week(or two!) so by necessity they have to buy more, but so does everyone else.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Constant arguments with my in-laws about isolation "im not ill" etc etc etc.

My parents are slightly better, but think they are just keeping quiet.

It's my youngest birthday today... This was the compromise we came up with...

IMG-20200321-101523-260.jpg

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017

Good. Fucking finally.

My neighbours popped around with a little bit of food, bless em. They know I'm vulnerable.
Awesome. My local estate has a facebook group and we've been working to find / help the vulnerable people in the area.

After doing much reading on the economic plan (which is great for the most part) it seems self employed people are screwed as all they can claim for is Universal credit, which just comes down primarily to SSP. They probably should've taken past year's average earnings and used that to include them in the 80% income pledge as well. This means my GF is basically not going to make anything because there's no market for her to be self employed atm and she can't claim income via HMRC.
Yup, I'm fucked. My main client shut down and I'm essentially out of work (barring a few odd hours here and there).

Absolutely no reason they couldn't use my last year's tax return to work out what I'm entitled too (I wouldn't care if it was capped at a max). But no, fuck you self employed people, but thanks for the billions you put into the economy each year.

I read yesterday that it leaves scarring on the lungs which is probably not a good thing. Whether that's true or not, I wouldn't want to risk whatever the long term effects might be.

That's what scares me most. I was in the hospital about three weeks ago with "unknown virus" that caused serious shortness of breath, a cough, and "night sweats" (fever?). I'm still not breathing properly now, and it terrifies me to think I might have had COVID-19 and it's resulted in permanent / semi-permanent damage. Especially as normally I'm an athlete (haven't been able to train in about a month now).

Last edited:

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
Big rise in Wales, 89 new cases in last 24 hours...compared to 21 new yesterday, there are a couple clusters (they have not released local figures yet).

UK increase could be big, unless its because of more testing.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
'we got an email for them saying we can't add to our order but we can remove things or cancel it. We'd literally only started the order when the website shat itself so don't know how Much will turn up. I think we'll need to clearly supplement with physical shopping - alreqdy planning a couple of walking routes that take in a few smaller supermarkets and might do that as a daily check for food + walk to get a bit of fresh air/exercise
Everything we ordered was delivered, no substitutes. We've already ordered for next week (just our standard weekly shopping) so we be good moving forward.

Can't really fault Ocado to be honest, they've always been great for us.

We tend to eat mostly fresh food anyway but we always have some longer life stuff in reserve so even if we can't get anything we'd be good for at least a few weeks.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This sports commentator had no live sport to comment on so he's putting videos commentating on mundane life on twitter instead. Made me smile, anyway!
www.thepoke.co.uk

This commentator’s got no live sport so he’s commentating on everyday life and it’s brilliant

Here’s a chap called Nick Heath who’s a rugby commentator and journalist and also a podcast producer. But it’s the commentating bit we’re really interested in. Because in the absence of any live sport, all postponed because of coronavirus, Nick started commenting on everyday life as he saw it...

Oct 30, 2017
I live in Barry Island and it's absolutely packed today. The fair is open, loads of kids amusements like bouncy castles and blow up slides.

Now I'm not one to suggest staying indoors 24/7 but maybe Barry Island isn't the best idea. There are loads is isolated coastal and forest walks around here where you can go and not see anyone!

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Fucking finally.

Awesome. My local estate has a facebook group and we've been working to find / help the vulnerable people in the area.

Yup, I'm fucked. My main client shut down and I'm essentially out of work (barring a few odd hours here and there).

Absolutely no reason they couldn't use my last year's tax return to work out what I'm entitled too (I wouldn't care if it was capped at a max). But no, fuck you self employed people, but thanks for the billions you put into the economy each year.

That's what scares me most. I was in the hospital about three weeks ago with "unknown virus" that caused serious shortness of breath, a cough, and "night sweats" (fever?). I'm still not breathing properly now, and it terrifies me to think I might have had COVID-19 and it's resulted in permanent / semi-permanent damage. Especially as normally I'm an athlete (haven't been able to train in about a month now).
Considering this is coming out of HMRC, I have no idea why self employed people, who pay taxes the same as anyone else, aren't considered.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I live in Barry Island and it's absolutely packed today. The fair is open, loads of kids amusements like bouncy castles and blow up slides.

Now I'm not one to suggest staying indoors 24/7 but maybe Barry Island isn't the best idea. There are loads is isolated coastal and forest walks around here where you can go and not see anyone!

We have the weekend markets opening our local town. I dunk if that was supposed to be cancelled too but the majority of the wetherspoons audience just migrated to here for the day

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Big rise in Wales, 89 new cases in last 24 hours...compared to 21 new yesterday, there are a couple clusters (they have not released local figures yet).

UK increase could be big, unless its because of more testing.
The cases are already out there. Increased testing is just showing them.

The UK total is probably close to 15-20k by now if they were mass testing anyone with symptoms.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
So my work has been closed down for the foreseeable future.

Feels wierd, but now I have plenty of time to work on my Open Uni degree :/

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Press conference in 30 mins.

Guardian:
Boris Johnson is speaking to supermarket bosses today about how to overcome the panic buying that is gripping the UK. They will also discuss efforts to keep supplies flowing.

The meetings come ahead of the government's daily press conference, which will be hosted by the environment secretary, George Eustice, in place of Johnson.

Eustice is expected to be joined by government scientific and medical experts for the briefing, which takes place at 2pm.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably a lot of talk about supermarkets hiring.

Hopefully something for self employed and not get a supermarket job but I imagine a lot of people will be applying out of just paying the bills and eating because benefits sure aren't going to cover it.

How are the benefits working anyway, have they made it fast tracked or anything like that?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still trying to work out when would be best to go next week. I have another few days left on my self quarantine.

Oct 25, 2017

I can now hear in my head the Paolo Nutini track from Gavin & Stacey when they're going round the Barry Island fair.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
It is shocking how many people are still out and about. The more we stay indoors the quicker this is all over.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

I live in Barry Island too. What's occurring?!

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017

Crazy!! I'm not far from there, but we're staying in our flat for the foreseeable.

The cases are already out there. Increased testing is just showing them.

The UK total is probably close to 15-20k by now if they were mass testing anyone with symptoms.
Depends, I thought we are still only testing hospital admissions outside of Scotland, then starting with NHS staff.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oh god, they're multiplying!

People don't want to be inconvenienced... and I've noticed the boomer generation is more guilty of this than anyone (so much for that blitz spirit they like to talk about).
'Keep calm and carry on' as a guiding philosophy isn't that helpful when we need people to keep calm but also change their daily habits because dealing with contagion is different to dealing with a bombing campaign designed to disrupt and demoralise.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There was an old guy on Gogglebox last night who basically said he didn't believe anyone had it and that because he was in the RAF he would be fine.

/facepalm

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I find it really dissapointing that the head of RPS has had to write an open letter to headteachers because pharmacists and their staff are being turned down by schools for keyworker places

To Headteachers,

RE: Key workers and the COVID-19 pandemic

The announcement from the Department for Education on 19 March on Guidance for schools, colleges and local authorities on maintaining educational provision notes that schools have been asked to continue to provide care for children whose parents are critical to the COVID-19 response and cannot be safely cared for at home.

This includes children of parents who work in health and social care, which covers pharmacists and their support teams, as well as those working in the health and social care supply chain, such as producers and distributors of medicines.

Pharmacists and support staff are critical to the COVID-19 response and key workers in the health service. We know that pharmacy teams are working hard on the frontline to support the public during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Yours sincerely,

Sandra Gidley FRPharmS
President
Royal Pharmaceutical Society