• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Saw some abuse towards ASDA staff first hand today. Some guys were told they had to queue to get in the shop since they were limiting how many people were in at once and they told the employee that she looks like she has cancer and if she doesn't - they hope she does.
She seemed to take it in her stride but it's still a sad thing to see.

I'd have had real trouble not hurting those cunts. It's one thing being a wanker, but wishing cancer on someone is well out of fucking order.

Oct 30, 2017
surely that's an immediate banning from the store?
I'd have had real trouble not hurting those cunts. It's one thing being a wanker, but wishing cancer on someone is well out of fucking order.

There was security there thankfully who basically shoo'd them away. I know we don't know what people feel inside but the employee genuinely didn't seem fazed by it. Hopefully not because it happens often.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
I can only speak to my local NHS trust (NW England) but the new directive is that patients over 70 get one shot at resuscitation, no more. Under 70 it's 3 attempts. Take care of yourselves <3

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I can only speak to my local NHS trust (NW England) but the new directive is that patients over 70 get one shot at resuscitation, no more. Under 70 it's 3 attempts. Take care of yourselves <3
Fuck that's rough. Awful that we're having to make decisions like this.

I'm in NW and 99% sure have it, and hopefully I haven't passed it on to my mother who is in somewhat of a high risk group. Signs point to her either having not got it or being asymptomatic for now at least, but I did interact with her between my likely exposure date and my first symptoms.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

I'm in NW and 99% sure have it, and hopefully I haven't passed it on to my mother who is in somewhat of a high risk group. Signs point to her either having not got it or being asymptomatic for now at least, but I did interact with her between my likely exposure date and my first symptoms.
Fuuuck. I'm so sorry to hear that. Lewie.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Around 10 days ago I had an awful cold, headache, coughing up bright green mucus. It ended quickly and no further symptoms. Could just have been a bad cold, but you never know.

That was just before I began to properly self-isolate, and I'd been on public transport a lot back and further to hospital. I'm a high risk group, on immunosuppressives, but I always seem to shake colds and flu fast. My girlfriend had horrible flu over xmas and we spent the entire time in my room and I didn't catch it, so I'm not super concerned about my condition.

Curious to know if I did have it, though.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Fuuuck. I'm so sorry to hear that. Lewie.
Thanks. A lot of people in the same boat, and signs are good so far, but just got to hope for the best.

Edit: and my symptoms are relatively mild, I only had a really tight chest for one day, and then it was much better the next day.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
So glad the huge supermarkets are stepping up in this crisis. No food in stores other than first thing when everyone goes in to panic buy one item from every range, no delivery slots, no collect slots. Utterly pathetic.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
All this clapping for the NHS is lovely and everything, but I'm pretty sure every last NHS worker would prefer the service to be better resourced and to be better paid than to be clapped at.

So glad the huge supermarkets are stepping up in this crisis. No food in stores other than first thing when everyone goes in to panic buy one item from every range, no delivery slots, no collect slots. Utterly pathetic.
Yep, it's abysmal. Every chain around here is the same shade of useless.

Zero delivery slots in the next month. Zero click and collect slots in the next month. Queues around the block. Either no bread, no milk, no meat at random. Zero pasta or rice ever. A couple of boxes of own brand tissues if you're lucky.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Probably not entitled to any of that sweet self-employment grant I guess because I don't earn enough profit yet, lol.

One of the really shit aspects of supermarkets knowing they wield all the power now, is the complete abolishment of "special offers" in some. I was hoping to do big meat and veg shops at the bigger supermarket, and then pick up sauces and soda and the like at our local garage Spar. But instead, Dolmeo has gone from the "special offer" price of £1 to £2.40. Similar story for almost all other products in there.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not entitled to any of that sweet self-employment grant I guess because I don't earn enough profit yet, lol.

One of the really shit aspects of supermarkets knowing they wield all the power now, is the complete abolishment of "special offers" in some. I was hoping to do big meat and veg shops at the bigger supermarket, and then pick up sauces and soda and the like at our local garage Spar. But instead, Dolmeo has gone from the "special offer" price of £1 to £2.40. Similar story for almost all other products in there.
Special offers are available when they buy in bulk for less. They're struggling to maintain supply now so makes sense the deals would be off on essentials

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yep, it's abysmal. Every chain around here is the same shade of useless.

Zero delivery slots in the next month. Zero click and collect slots in the next month. Queues around the block. Either no bread, no milk, no meat at random. Zero pasta or rice ever. A couple of boxes of own brand tissues if you're lucky.
I could understand if we were on a small island somewhere, but we are one of the most developed countries on the planet. It's fucking ridiculous. The supermarkets need to start imposing a limit on what people can spend. As it stands, people are still panic buying, they're just buying one of everything they can get their hands on, rather than dozens of any single item.

Meanwhile, my 75 y/o mum can't get a delivery. She's advised to call Sainsburys' phone number to register as vulnerable, but that line is constantly engaged.

And soon I'm going to have trouble getting food for our two young children.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Edited: Too flippant

We've had some luck with Tesco's, although that's not an option for everyone. Managed to find some Aptamil for the baby which was a serious relief.

NMNR

Oct 29, 2017
Btw if anyone knows of family friends who have people in care homes just tell them to be mindful of care homes. As it turns out, my grandfather got discharged back to his care home when the management knew they had positive covid cases...A day or so into his return he took a massive turn for the worse and passed away 5 days thereafter testing positive for Covid 19.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
What is going on at boots? They are using a virtual queue on website

Number of users in queue ahead of you: 237878
Your estimated wait time is: more than an hour

Status last updated: 23:22:41

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The issue with the big supermarkets at the moment is that if you do get a delivery slot or manage to get in when it's reasonably stocked you feel compelled to buy more because you don't know when your going to have an opportunity again.

I'm not sure what the supermarkets can do at this point, but the system isn't working and I feel its only going to get worse.

Btw if anyone knows of family friends who have people in care homes just tell them to be mindful of care homes. As it turns out, my grandfather got discharged back to his care home when the management knew they had positive covid cases...A day or so into his return he took a massive turn for the worse and passed away 5 days thereafter testing positive for Covid 19.

So sorry to hear this mate. Hope your OK.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sorry.

My condolences to you and your family.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Just a little slither of humour among all this darkness - My 66 year old parents finally retired from running the shop that they've had for nearly 40 years only two weeks ago. My dad says "Bloody hell, after all that my holidays started and I've been grounded!"

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Got a delivery slot sorted for my food shopping.....

Only for the page to slow to a halt and eventually time out as i clicked confirm on my payment screen. Now I'm in a situation where I don't know whats happening.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Delivery might still be an issue, but it feels like in store is actually getting better. I was able to get chicken today!
Still struggling to get any meat beyond the odd packet of wafer thin ham. Not too bad as we've been having a lot of veggie stuff, but would be nice to be able to grab a big thing of chicken soon.

Also that's just for two people, really feel for any big families doing their big shop during this.

Azurik

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I have been to my local supermarkets (west Mids) and they are quite well stocked (Sainsbury's, Asda, Morrison's).
appears everybody switched to online and the Queues of people doing physical shopping seem to have gone down 🤷🏼‍♂️

Might pick up again with the weekend approaching.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Thinking about UBI I've had a thought. A very brief and not well thought out thought, but I thought I'd share anyway.

How about different tiers of UBI with different expectations and different incomes.

So let's say there's a basic UBI which is enough to live on but at a pretty basic level. But it's a good safety net so people are not destitute and can feed and clothe themselves. Homelessness through poverty factors would be eradicated. Education would be free so you can use the UBI opportunity to study and improve yourself, stress free.

Then there would be at least one other higher tier of UBI whereby you put yourself forward into a work pool. Ideally you can opt in for certain kinds of jobs and opt out of some you really dislike. So you can have retail jobs, call centre, basic office jobs, refuse collectors and so on. You opt in to work a set number of hours in one of these jobs and you get a higher rate of UBI. This could even be a fluid marketplace so jobs that are in demand for workers offer a higher pay to try and entice people to opt for it. This would be based on national need, not an arbitrary pay scale. If done right this could mean unsavoury jobs (like refuse collection) would actually get higher pay than jobs deemed easier or less physically or mentally taxing. This would help ensure there's not massive gaps in what the country needs at any given time. Make fruit picking higher paid and watch people actually flock to it and so crops aren't being wasted, for instance.

Maybe this concept could be extended further, I dunno.

Frankly I don't understand how the economics of it could work and it's probably not feasible but at some point UBI might be a necessity and I feel it could be done more intelligently so the nation is served well from it as much as the people are as well. A much more well oiled machine with a happier workforce deployed where they are best suited and always, always, with that safety net there.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Thinking about UBI I've had a thought. A very brief and not well thought out thought, but I thought I'd share anyway.

How about different tiers of UBI with different expectations and different incomes.

So let's say there's a basic UBI which is enough to live on but at a pretty basic level. But it's a good safety net so people are not destitute and can feed and clothe themselves. Homelessness through poverty factors would be eradicated. Education would be free so you can use the UBI opportunity to study and improve yourself, stress free.

Then there would be at least one other higher tier of UBI whereby you put yourself forward into a work pool. Ideally you can opt in for certain kinds of jobs and opt out of some you really dislike. So you can have retail jobs, call centre, basic office jobs, refuse collectors and so on. You opt in to work a set number of hours in one of these jobs and you get a higher rate of UBI. This could even be a fluid marketplace so jobs that are in demand for workers offer a higher pay to try and entice people to opt for it. This would be based on national need, not an arbitrary pay scale. If done right this could mean unsavoury jobs (like refuse collection) would actually get higher pay than jobs deemed easier or less physically or mentally taxing. This would help ensure there's not massive gaps in what the country needs at any given time. Make fruit picking higher paid and watch people actually flock to it and so crops aren't being wasted, for instance.
i mean, supply/demand of a capitalist job market should cause that to happen anyway right? less people want to be refuse collectors so the market has to offer more to entice potential workers.

i guess you're suggesting all jobs are paid for by the state?

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
i mean, supply/demand of a capitalist job market should cause that to happen anyway right? less people want to be refuse collectors so the market has to offer more to entice potential workers.

i guess you're suggesting all jobs are paid for by the state?
Haha yeah I don't know exactly what I'm saying. I think in a way, yes, the state could operate the hiring and payment for a large portion of jobs, I guess all the so called lower end jobs (especially now that we find out our key workers are supermarket staff etc). It would all be wrapped up in a system to place people where they are best suited and most needed and recompensed with a decent UBI for willing to work where they are needed. Yeah it's quite a leap. It's just I've seen the figures random research groups have posited as realistic UBI incomes and it's still not a truly livable wage and it does mean there could be a burgeoning sector of people who literally just take the money and sit at home. How true that is I don't know, but my system would be a bit more incentivised and would also help fill vital roles in society by making them more appealing. As I say, I have no qualifications, just pulling ideas out of my ass here.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Wife has just been admitted to the hospital (not COVID symptoms but urgent care). Because I have a cough though, she's been sent to the COVID side, and I obviously still have to self-isolate.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My local stores have plenty of pretty much everything except Handwash and Paracetamol. Food wise is fine. Last week was really bare though.

I'm in Suffolk, what areas are still having shortages?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gov need to institue UBI at 2k a month for everyone 18 and over immediately, for the foreseeable future.
----------------
DavidDesu Your system isn't UBI. It's just a another convoluted benefit sceme that'll do more harm than good.

And the idea that UBI encourages people to just sit on their arse at home, is a myth.
Wife has just been admitted to the hospital (not COVID symptoms but urgent care). Because I have a cough though, she's been sent to the COVID side, and I obviously still have to self-isolate.
Bloody hell.

I hope both you and your wife will be ok.

Make sure to keep us posted.
I hope this is a wake up call to people on how darn important the NHS is to this nation.
yougov.co.uk

Coronavirus reaction pushes PM’s popularity into positive territory | YouGov

For the first time since becoming Prime Minister in July, Johnson’s fans outweigh his detractors – but he remains less popular than Chancellor Rishi Sunak
I very much doubt it.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Bloody hell.

She's texting me at the moment, fairly terrified. Been given a mask and some hand sanitizer but that's it.

The paramedics turned up in what passes for full protective gear, which is shamefully under-equipped considering I'm self-isolating, IMO. They are doing a stellar job considering, but you can tell they're stressed to hell and back.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
She's texting me at the moment, fairly terrified. Been given a mask and some hand sanitizer but that's it.

The paramedics turned up in what passes for full protective gear, which is shamefully under-equipped considering I'm self-isolating, IMO. They are doing a stellar job considering, but you can tell they're stressed to hell and back.
Wishing you all the best man, take care.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fucking hell.

I know this won't help at all. But i'm hoping the best for you both. 💗 💗

I'm really sorry i can't say anything more to help.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The gov need to institue UBI at 2k a month for everyone 18 and over immediately, for the foreseeable future.
----------------
DavidDesu Your system isn't UBI. It's just a another convoluted benefit sceme that'll do more harm than good.

And the idea that UBI encourages people to just sit on their arse at home, is a myth.
Hey, I'd be ecstatic if a 2k UBI was given to everyone. Sorry I was just considering how it could be made more sellable to people. We all know right wing folks would fight any kind of real UBI with all of their might. But hey I agree with you it should be condition free for everyone and at a very decent amount like 2k. It would change the world.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
----------------

Bloody hell.

yougov.co.uk

For the first time since becoming Prime Minister in July, Johnson’s fans outweigh his detractors – but he remains less popular than Chancellor Rishi Sunak
I very much doubt it.

Theres no way the tories would ever approve something like that. Even with UC, carers, and top rate of PIP in both fields you're not getting 2k a month for 2 people.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I'd be ecstatic if a 2k UBI was given to everyone. Sorry I was just considering how it could be made more sellable to people. We all know right wing folks would fight any kind of real UBI with all of their might. But hey I agree with you it should be condition free for everyone and at a very decent amount like 2k. It would change the world.
No no. It's my fault, i misunderstood where you coming from. 😀
Theres no way the tories would ever approve something like that. Even with UC, carers, and top rate of PIP in both fields you're not getting 2k a month for 2 people.
They're going to have no choice. This is going to last a couple of years, at least.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017

I'm not here to excuse it, but I'm having to deal with this from the other side.

There is tons of food and toiletries available, but it's all tied up at distribution centres and warehouses. The supply chain is not build to handle the clusterfuck that has been happening. You can't expect a store to receive and pack out literally 1/2 the shop in a single day.

If people stopped panic buying like they have been, there would be no issues.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Seeing a lot of my self employed friends kicking off about the scheme to support them as basically they played themselves by fiddling their earnings every year.

Hope this situation also highlights all those companies that register offshore so they can dodge taxes too and in the aftermath we get a system that closes all these loopholes that get exploited and everyone pays their fair share.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a lot of my self employed friends kicking off about the scheme to support them as basically they played themselves by fiddling their earnings every year.

Hope this situation also highlights all those companies that register offshore so they can dodge taxes too and in the aftermath we get a system that closes all these loopholes that get exploited and everyone pays their fair share.

If people didn't fiddle self employment earnings it wouldn't be worth doing for many jobs. There are a bunch of benefits that other jobs have that they do not, as well as all the extra risks that don't apply to other jobs. Often a lot of unpaid hours and unrecoverable expenses too, especially in building trades.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
----------------

Bloody hell.

yougov.co.uk

I very much doubt it.

you give everyone in a house over 18 2K a month, no fucker would work, that would be a huge pay rise for millions of houses, and probably cause hyper inflation

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you give everyone in a house over 18 2K a month, no fucker would work, that would be a huge pay rise for millions of houses
That's a nonsense. Always has been. And has used to poopoo UBI. (even when it's a smaller number)

And yes, people would still work.

And the large number is only temporary. And would go down a bit, if it were to be made permanent .

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
That's a nonsense. Always has been. And has used to poopoo UBI. (even when it's a smaller number)

And yes, people would still work.

And the large number is only temporary. And would go down a bit, if it were to be made permanent .

I agree people would still work with a basic UBI, not 2K, it would cause such a shift. And i suspect with huge inflation that 2K would not be worth what it is now for very long

2K per household maybe, still generous, but imagine a house with 4 adults, you really want to give them 8k a month?

After tax and NI that is £30,338 pa. per person

you would be firmly on my xmas card list

Last edited: