• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's just one political gaffe after another, watching the Tory party tear itself apart is a sight to see

Yeah, I thought it was a bad move because he was doing an OK job managing the party without a majority and she trusted him, turns out the party is in self destruct mode and I'm expecting something else before too long.

Oct 25, 2017
Another home run by May!

sss.jpg

lol at "party of meritocracy"

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
The tories really are tearing themselves apart at this point. Between brexit, sexual harassment and having a scarecrow as a leader they are unable to do anything. Doesn't seem like they give a fuck about the country.

Bitsmurch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
First post, hello everyone.

I'm not sure what to make of this specific situation. If this guy quit over touching a knee 20-30 years ago then I find that a little ridiculous. There's got to be more to this story. Back then poking, tweaking, twerking or whatever the kids do on their apps these days was not the norm. In order for people (Male and female alike,) to communicate they fancy each other they had to literally talk to each other and send physical signals instead of the electronic signals used today.

Its a bit disturbing to see people rabidly judging the actions of people many years ago by today's norms.

That's not to say there wasn't wrong doing, I'm certain there was but knee touching? I'm not seeing it.

Loose Cannon

Oct 27, 2017
"It was acceptable 10 or 15 years ago" really pisses me off. They can never bring themselves to truly admit wrongdoing, there has to be excuse.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The tories really are tearing themselves apart at this point. Between brexit, sexual harassment and having a scarecrow as a leader they are unable to do anything. Doesn't seem like they give a fuck about the country.

They've made that perfectly clear ever since Ravey Davey decided to gamble the future of the country on an internal tory argument. All the shit that has happened since then has been about shoring up the Tory party and fuck everyone else. And the joke is, the party is more fucked than ever.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure what to make of this specific situation. If this guy quit over touching a knee 20-30 years ago then I find that a little ridiculous. There's got to be more to this story. Back then poking, tweaking, twerking or whatever the kids do on their apps these days was not the norm. In order for people (Male and female alike,) to communicate they fancy each other they had to literally talk to each other and send physical signals instead of the electronic signals used today.

Its a bit disturbing to see people rabidly judging the actions of people many years ago by today's norms.

That's not to say there wasn't wrong doing, I'm certain there was but knee touching? I'm not seeing it.

The assumption is that there are other allegations we don't know about or at least that was the assumption. Certainly no-one sane thinks that Fallon should have gone just for that. Maybe Williamson used it as pretext to nick his job.

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to Fallon, women weren't people back in 2002, and anyone was able to touch them regardless of their positions of power. We only discovered that in about 2012 when feminism was invented.

(nah there's clearly more he was jumping before came out)

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
They've never given a fuck about the country, all they care about is themselves and their donors. Nowadays we're getting stunning incompetence to go along with the sociopathy .

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm not sure what to make of this specific situation. If this guy quit over touching a knee 20-30 [15 years actually] years ago then I find that a little ridiculous.

Yes, back in the far-off times of 200-fucking-2.

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously I like seeing the tories squirm as much as the next person but I'm worried what will rise from the ashes after the current lot implode. There aren't exactly a lot of moderates waiting in the wings to take over.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is 'Babe' Ruth Davidson, the mild-mannered gay woman sticking it to Sturgeon and making gains in Tory-hating haggisland, an anti/soft brexiteer, non-manaic and all round seemingly likeable person. The prefect antidote to the current toxicity. Assuming she isn't secretly mental also.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As Frankie Boyle pointed out in a piece for the Guardian, there's a touch of BoJo in the way Ruth Davidson conducts herself.

As with most politicians, I suspect that she is a self-interested mental shitbag underneath the veneer.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is sort-of true and a good point. However, she's nowhere near as wacky as Boris and whilst I am sure she is self-serving, as all politicians are, maybe she recognises that the best way to do that is to just be a normal, non-bastard, non-sex-criminal, non-swivel-eyed-racist-maniac alternative to the Keystone Cops act currently running the show. And if she's only pretending, I don't really care.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
That is sort-of true and a good point. However, she's nowhere near as wacky as Boris and whilst I am sure she is self-serving, as all politicians are, maybe she recognises that the best way to do that is to just be a normal, non-bastard, non-sex-criminal, non-swivel-eyed-racist-maniac alternative to the Keystone Cops act currently running the show. And if she's only pretending, I don't really care.

If she's any of that she won't be coming south of the border to deal with Boris and Mogg.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The guy with the list of dirt on people, ends up getting the job of one of those people he had dirt on. Well played sir lol. May is an idiot for sure, but well played to the new Defence Secretary.

Oct 25, 2017
From the guardian live blog

Williamson not involved in decision about his own promotion, says No 10
The prime minister's spokesman told journalists at the lobby briefing that Gavin Williamson was not involved in discussions about the reshuffle following Sir Michael Fallon's resignation.

Asked what qualities May felt her new minister would bring to the job, the PM's spokesman said:

Gavin Williamson was an excellent and hard-working chief whip and the prime minister thinks he will make an excellent defence secretary. The prime minister is confident in the operation of the whips' office during her premiership.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha fucking lol

Oct 25, 2017
The first iPhone released in 2007, Facebook launched in 2004 poking, tweaking and twerking definitely weren't a thing then and the social media outrage phenomenon was still almost a decade away. My point stands I feel.

Without coming across as overly personal, how old are you? Harassment was absolutely a thing people were aware of and something that you could lose your job over in the 90s and 2000s, iPhones and tinder and Facebook and twerking has fuck all to do with it mate.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, I'm sorry but this jumped up little prick is not actually going to be PM is he? He still has to go through the party vote doesn't he? There's no shortcut?

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The first iPhone released in 2007, Facebook launched in 2004 poking, tweaking and twerking definitely weren't a thing then and the social media outrage phenomenon was still almost a decade away. My point stands I feel.

Your point that groping women is fine because it was the only way to communicate with them prior to twitter?

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I haven't seen anything this brazenly self-interested since Johnson forced Gove to run in the leadership race to keep his own dreams alive. What a fucking mess.

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
What are you talking about? People were aware of the problem of sexual harassement long before fucking Facebook turned up. Being in 2002 is not an excuse.

Actually, I'm sorry but this jumped up little prick is not actually going to be PM is he? He still has to go through the party vote doesn't he? There's no shortcut?
Of course not, who in the party would vote for him?

Bitsmurch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Without coming across as overly personal, how old are you? Harassment was absolutely a thing people were aware of and something that you could lose your job over in the 90s and 2000s, iPhones and tinder and Facebook and twerking has fuck all to do with it mate.

I'm 41 now and the change in acceptance over this kind of stuff in the past 20 years has been dramatic and dare I say blown a bit out of proportion in a lot of cases. It appears that a misplaced touch of a knee that is removed the second when asked is now cause for public outrage and I feel that its gone too far.

I don't know how relationships are supposed to start when people are no longer able to use subtle signals anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 41 now and the change in acceptance over this kind of stuff in the past 20 years has been dramatic and dare I say blown a bit out of proportion in a lot of cases. It appears that a misplaced touch of a knee that is removed the second when asked is now cause for public outrage and I feel that its gone too far.

I don't know how relationships are supposed to start when people are no longer able to use subtle signals anymore.

Ok, I'm 33 and I somehow remember the following throughout the 90s and 2000s, in some order of importance.

A) Many, many episodes of the Simpsons that extensively referenced sexual harassment, including the classic episode "Homer Badman" which went into detail about the kind of public controversy that can emerge from a sexual harassment accusation.

B) Many, many talks at school, newspaper and magazine articles, other tv shows, soaps and countless other forms of media that referenced harassment as a generally bad thing.

C) A US president on the verge of impeachment over accusations of harassment, assault and infidelity that led to him committing perjury.

Do I need to go on? Are these signals subtle enough for you?

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
No-one, but I wondered if there was any kind of back-door 'coronation' process that he could exploit, given that May is said to have anointed him.
Well, there wasn't a members' vote on May because she ran unopposed after everyone else dropped out. That effectively turned into a coronation.

I don't want to point out that a whip using his dirt on other candidates to run unopposed and become prime minister is literally the plot of House of Cards, but a whip using his dirt on other candidates to run unopposed and become prime minister is literally the plot of House of Cards.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the issue here is that Bitsmuch thinks that losing your job over a hand on the knee is crazy but Fallon didn't lose his job because of that. He lost it either because of a raft of further accusations in his closet, as yet unvoiced to the public, or because this Gavin prick used the knee thing as a tissue-thin pretext to steal Fallon's job. I don't suppose anyone in their right mind thinks that putting your hand on someone's knee, once, at a dinner is grounds for losing your career.

Well, there wasn't a members' vote on May because she ran unopposed after everyone else dropped out. That effectively turned into a coronation.

I don't want to point out that a whip using his dirt on other candidates to run unopposed and become prime minister is literally the plot of House of Cards, but a whip using his dirt on other candidates to run unopposed and become prime minister is literally the plot of House of Cards.

giphy.gif

UK is the subject of hostile takeover by a man that looks like Joe Root's coke addled younger brother and who keeps a Tarantula on his desk to scare people. Whisper his name...Gavin....

Last edited:

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
Also placing your hand uninvited on someone, in a professional environment, without any signals first, is pretty shit flirting

Oct 25, 2017
Also placing your hand uninvited on someone, in a professional environment, without any signals first, is pretty shit flirting

Hey how about that for an idea, if you're at work or you're at someone's workplace (say for a media interview) maybe don't touch them?

Fallon clearly got chucked because there was more going on, Hartley-Brewer said as much on one of the breakfast news programmes this morning.

Bitsmurch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ok, I'm 33 and I somehow remember the following throughout the 90s and 2000s, in some order of importance.

A) Many, many episodes of the Simpsons that extensively referenced sexual harassment, including the classic episode "Homer Badman" which went into detail about the kind of public controversy that can emerge from a sexual harassment accusation.

B) Many, many talks at school, newspaper and magazine articles, other tv shows, soaps and countless other forms of media that referenced harassment as a generally bad thing.

C) A US president on the verge of impeachment over accusations of harassment, assault and infidelity that led to him committing perjury.

Do I need to go on? Are these signals subtle enough for you?

From a touch of a knee?

Bitsmurch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think the issue here is that Bitsmuch thinks that losing your job over a hand on the knee is crazy but Fallon didn't lose his job because of that. He lost it either because of a raft of further accusations in his closet, as yet unvoiced to the public, or because this Gavin prick used the knee thing as a tissue-thin pretext to steal Fallon's job. I don't suppose anyone in their right mind thinks that putting your hand on someone's knee, once, at a dinner is grounds for losing your career.

giphy.gif

UK is the subject of hostile takeover by a man that looks like Joe Root's coke addled younger brother and who keeps a Tarantula on his desk to scare people. Whisper his name...Gavin....

Definitely, if Farron has done other worse things then so be it, but damn man, its a touch of a knee that's caused to current media frenzy and its that specific issue which concerns me. I've had women approach me using physical signals (Those were the days.) and I felt nothing but a bit flattered even if the advances weren't particularly wanted.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
it seems that "kneegate" was not alone in causing Fallon to resign, but "his flirtiness" nature and behavior to other women means that he couldn't be sure there wouldn't be similar stories appear should those women decide to speak out.